Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637
Results 1,081 to 1,108 of 1108

Thread: The Cricket Thread

LordJamieOfCarragher is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    England Lions squad for Australia: Dom Bess (Somerset), Joe Clarke (Worcestershire), Paul Coughlin (Durham/Nottinghamshire), Alex Davies (Lancashire), Ben Duckett (Northamptonshire), George Garton (Sussex), Nick Gubbins (Middlesex), Tom Helm (Middlesex), Keaton Jennings (Durham/Lancashire), Dan Lawrence (Essex), Jack Leach (Somerset), Liam Livingstone (Lancashire), Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire), Jamie Porter (Essex), Amar Virdi (Surrey), Tom Westley (Essex), Mark Wood (Durham).

The 17-man party will be based in Brisbane from 14 November before flying to Perth on 30 November.

The Lions will shadow the senior squad for large parts of the Ashes tour, which kicks off in Brisbane on 23 November.

The third Ashes Test - in Perth - will run from 14 December.

While in Western Australia, the Lions will play three Twenty20 matches against Big Bash outfit Perth Scorchers.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by TheRiedle View Post
    Our captain is to blame for this one, batting friendly pitch wins toss decides to bowl. SA were ruthless in our 2nd innings and Rabada loves bowling against us.
    Winning the toss and putting a side in to bat is a sign of a captain fearing defeat, hoping for a few early wickets and unsure of a good total.

There's a saying does the rounds in various guises, basically if you win the toss think about bowling and then bat....

Of course sometimes there will be enough early on and the pitch getting better for batting after the first day than you would choose to bowl first. Either way, if you opt to bowl first then you should be bowling your opponents out for 300 or less, a lot less if the pitch is doing a lot
    People will believe what they want to believe

Intriguing!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41497072

Until the wind blows it away

Quote Originally Posted by DantesShadow View Post
    Intriguing!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41497072

Until the wind blows it away
    Does seem a rather odd idea, may as well build a giant umbrella or whatever it was Monty Burns did (probably just that) in a Simpsons episode.

May as well be a roof. Does raise the question of what happens if someone skies one seriously of course, although I'm not sure how far up a vertical miscue would or even could go

Seems the selectors aren't keen to eject Stokes from the Ashes as I suspected they wouldn't be. I suppose there is the argument "innocent until proven guilty", but a) is there much doubt and b) if you apply the innocence angle then why was he dropped and why does it matter when the inquiry ends........?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41490875

TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Seems the selectors aren't keen to eject Stokes from the Ashes as I suspected they wouldn't be. I suppose there is the argument "innocent until proven guilty", but a) is there much doubt and b) if you apply the innocence angle then why was he dropped and why does it matter when the inquiry ends........?

C) possibly the best all rounder in the current England team.
    ?

We’ve all seen the video. He’s guilty.

Last edited by GrottonRed; 9-10-17 at 12:35.

Liverpoolforme is online now First team regular
    This is the challenge for Bangladesh...they have done well and improved immeasurably at home but need to learn to be competative away.

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolforme View Post
    This is the challenge for Bangladesh...they have done well and improved immeasurably at home but need to learn to be competative away.
    Agree it's been a shambles.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddes View Post
    Weve all seen the video. Hes guilty.
    I know, but we aren't the jury!

They make most of home advantages more these days for sure, I said a while back they need to improve away from home and that doesn't necessarily mean wins but making themselves far harder to beat than they have done on foreign soil

Certainly has me stumped how Sri Lanka are doing so well against Pakistan btw, maybe just conditions more suited to their bowlers

I seriously expected them to be more competitive in this series .. not to the point where they would win a game, but certainly more then getting absolutely thrashed (there is no other way to describe it). As much as I enjoy seeing SA win games comfortably, I just got the sense this Test series was an absolute waste of time as a result of how SA dominated Bangladesh in every single component of the game. It was seriously disappointing, I have to say. Hopefully, Bangladesh have learned some good lessons from this although I just cannot see what those lessons could be, such was the magnitude of their defeat in both games. It must have been incredibly demoralising for them, rather then being in any way constructive.

Quote Originally Posted by grenny158 View Post
    I seriously expected them to be more competitive in this series .. not to the point where they would win a game, but certainly more then getting absolutely thrashed (there is no other way to describe it). As much as I enjoy seeing SA win games comfortably, I just got the sense this Test series was an absolute waste of time as a result of how SA dominated Bangladesh in every single component of the game. It was seriously disappointing, I have to say. Hopefully, Bangladesh have learned some good lessons from this although I just cannot see what those lessons could be, such was the magnitude of their defeat in both games. It must have been incredibly demoralising for them, rather then being in any way constructive.
    I suppose you never know, West Indies turned around a remarkable second test after we destroyed the Windies in similar fashion.

However I get the impression Bangladesh have less young talented players and more reliant on their opposition being rubbish on turning tracks.

They make most of home advantages more these days for sure, I said a while back they need to improve away from home and that doesn't necessarily mean wins but making themselves far harder to beat than they have done on foreign soil

Certainly has me stumped how Sri Lanka are doing so well against Pakistan btw, maybe just conditions more suited to their bowlers
    First series defeat in UAE for Pakistan since 2002 which was against that all conquering Australia team. Played every series there since 2008 so a great achievement. Nothing to do with conditions as we beat them in Sri Lanka recently too. The only difference was - first series after the double retirement of younis and misbah. End of an era.

Have to say I am really intrigued about the Test championship. Would be fascinating to see if it works. Anyone else think this might be a good move?

Have to say I am really intrigued about the Test championship. Would be fascinating to see if it works. Anyone else think this might be a good move?
    For a change I'm optimistic, something needed to give and displace that pointless ranking table. Shame it isn't completely round robin, some on the other forum I go on reckon India will use it to not play Pakistan although I now wonder if that wasn't behind the reasoning, BCCI do curry too much influence

Either way I hope the nine teams involved will make a go of it, and they tweak it and maybe change to tiers rather than decide to abandon it.

Four day Tests too, might bring in new tactics and make it less one sided. How many games where the side batting first, or indeed second, bats for well over 120 overs are close or even interesting? Captains will have to decide when to declare bearing in mind how easy they found batting and especially time. I had a rule of thumb reckons if both first and second innings aren't completed by early in day three then chances of a (positive) result are greatly reduced. Now that will probably mean you need to get the first two innings out the way by early on day three, with less last innings disadvantage.

It may of course bring in pitch shenanigans, be so much easier to put out a road when the home side needs a draw to win the series, hopefully the ICC will do something to minimise dirty tactics. As for undefined length of series in the Championship, reckon little will change. Ashes I doubt will be reduced, doubt equally England will want to afford say Bangladesh more than two Tests.

BD got hammered on the tests and the odi's back to reality.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRiedle View Post
    BD got hammered on the tests and the odi's back to reality.
    Bangladesh need to develop some quick bowlers. Without them they will be average against teams outside the subcontinent.

Quote Originally Posted by By-Lallanas-Beard View Post
    Bangladesh need to develop some quick bowlers. Without them they will be average against teams outside the subcontinent.
    True, and a bit more substance to their batting than relying on 2-3 players. You can get away with said few batsmen IF you have good bowlers, England came unstuck out there due to silly policy (six bowlers) and not enough solidity in batting making the gap much smaller on top of conditions

At home where the England bowlers are "at home" in the conditions, and some touring sides have batsmen struggling to adapt, it swings heavily in England's favour if not conclusively

Anderson four wickets in an extended bowl (after WA all out) for England and half centuries for England batsmen Stoneman, Vince, Malan and Ballance which sounds a bit like the aussies wanted to help but not so much as to put out a terribly strong side - average age 22 I think I read on the BBC piece

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKO41917

Instead of retiring out perhaps the batsmen who struggled in Tests could have gone all out attack and got out, not sure a fifty against second string states is going to help much against the real deal come the Tests - not that an extra 30 slogged runs will do more, but the fifties are only worth maybe 30 proper runs

Jake Ball suffered a sprained ankle today in our second tour match. He might be missing for our first test against Australia in a couple of weeks time.

I've heard a couple of different pundits suggest that our starting XI for the first test will be: Cook, Stoneman, Vince, Root, Malan, Ali, Bairstow, Woakes, C. Overton, Broad, Anderson

With Ballance, Foakes, Curran, Ball and Crane missing out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewdleyfan View Post
    Jake Ball suffered a sprained ankle today in our second tour match. He might be missing for our first test against Australia in a couple of weeks time.
    Might not be the bad news it appears.

I've heard a couple of different pundits suggest that our starting XI for the first test will be: Cook, Stoneman, Vince, Root, Malan, Ali, Bairstow, Woakes, C. Overton, Broad, Anderson

With Ballance, Foakes, Curran, Ball and Crane missing out.
    Don't suppose they have much choice over the opening partner for Cook, with Root, Ali and Bairstow plus Broad and Anderson almost givens, so leaves four spots. Reckon it would be hard to leave Woakes out, although I'm not sure he'll be quick enough and get enough movement for any good track, then again is Anderson? (43 wickets @ 38.44 down under, SR 69.35) He does the can bat, can bowl thing selectors often like even if we end up with too many can bowls and a lack of batting strength and depth (well theoretical depth, not too useful if six down for not a lot though).

So if Woakes is in that gives potential lower order of Ali, Woakes, Broad and Anderson so they may sneak in another bowler which as you say pundits are saying may be Overton. Leaves two batsmen, Malan has 'seniority' and experience having weathered the storm threatening his career to end early, and toss up between Vince and Ballance. The latter has batted well in the past, saddest thing is the averages of some of the players vying for the spots outside of Cook, Root and Bairstow.

Stoneman (3 Tests) : 120 runs @ 30.00 (HS 52, 50 x1)
    Malan (5 Tests) : 189 runs @ 23.63 (HS 65, 50 x2)
    Vince (7 Tests) : 212 runs @ 19.27 (HS 42)
    Ballance (last 13 Tests) : 479 runs @ 19.16 (HS 70, 50 x2)

Ballance has played 25 innings in his last 13 Tests, 2 fifties all he could manage but also out for ELEVEN single figure scores of which includes his two ducks (whether technically counting as single figures or not)

Stoneman needed a not out to stop his being 24, Malan and Stoneman faced 'only' the West Indies for some if not all their Tests and only Roach posed consistent enough of a threat to average under 30 with their spinners bowling 117.2 overs between them for averages of over 40. In said not out for Stoneman said spinners Bishoo and Chase bowled 16 of the 28 overs England faced, not sure why they bowled so much spinners from either side had bowled a total of only SEVEN overs in the other 3 innings........ (and the seamers had bowled their respective opponents out for 123, 194 and 177 so might suggest that was the way to go)

Anyways, be interesting to see if England can bat 90+ overs in the 1st Test or if they fall flat on their faces or backsides. I'd suggest unless they score at 4 an over they'll be needing to face 100-120 minimum to put on a competitive total and may be heavily reliant on Broad, Anderson and some luck with Ali and newbies for whatever they can do against the aussie batting line-up.

Australia squad for 1st test:

Smith, Warner, Bancroft, S. Marsh, Khawaja, Handscomb, Paine, Cummins, Starc, Hazlewood, Bird, Sayers, Lyon

I'm guessing Bird and Sayers will miss out and they'll line up like:

Warner, Bancroft, Khawaja, Smith, Handscomb, S. Marsh, Paine, Cummins, Starc, Lyon, Hazlewood

Smith, Warner, Bancroft, S. Marsh, Khawaja, Handscomb, Paine, Cummins, Starc, Hazlewood, Bird, Sayers, Lyon

Warner, Bancroft, Khawaja, Smith, Handscomb, S. Marsh, Paine, Cummins, Starc, Lyon, Hazlewood
    Paine, that's a weird one

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    Paine, that's a weird one
    Yeah.

There are definite match winners in that Aussie side, but I'm sure it's not one that strikes fear into our team.

Like us, there are question marks over a few of their players. Bancroft will be making his test debut and Paine is back in from the wilderness. Shaun Marsh returns to the squad and he's struggled with consistency in the past, too.

I read an article this morning about Australia's bowling attack. Cummins, Starc and Hazlewood have all struggled with injuries over the past couple of years, and if one of them pulls up in the first test, they could be in trouble. There isn't an all rounder in their top 6, so they'd be left with just 3 bowlers and two quicks.

Obviously the Aussies are favourites. But there are definitely holes in their side.

Yeah.

There are definite match winners in that Aussie side, but I'm sure it's not one that strikes fear into our team.

Like us, there are question marks over a few of their players. Bancroft will be making his test debut and Paine is back in from the wilderness. Shaun Marsh returns to the squad and he's struggled with consistency in the past, too.

I read an article this morning about Australia's bowling attack. Cummins, Starc and Hazlewood have all struggled with injuries over the past couple of years, and if one of them pulls up in the first test, they could be in trouble. There isn't an all rounder in their top 6, so they'd be left with just 3 bowlers and two quicks.

Obviously the Aussies are favourites. But there are definitely holes in their side.
    Yep and I think the Paine selection will add a sort of fragility almost to their ranks, seems out of left field

With England, we have to hope our batting clicks enough. I have less concerns over our bowling, though perhaps the demands on Anderson and Broad are too heavy, but Ali is capable of coming to the party certainly its just the rest of our bowling line up and whether they can support our top men when they are struggling a little

Is it on Sky Sports? I thought I saw it advertised for BT Sport the other day, I'll be fuming if that is the case!

Much in it terms of batting strength and bowling?

Cook, Stoneman, Vince, Root, Malan, Bairstow, Ali, Woakes, Overton, Broad, Anderson

England will always feel they "have a chance" with a deep batting order, but quantity does not equal quality so Stoneman, Vince and Malan are vulnerable, Cook is variable so if he gets out early it can and could well be Root and Bairstow the main chance of big runs before Ali and Woakes may chip in - granted with Ali that might be with a century, but England are down under and not playing at home or weaker opponents.

And bowling, IF Anderson gets it right (bear in mind his average down under is high 30s), Woakes and Overton/whoever makes up likely 3rd and 4th seamers are not exactly proven especially under these conditions, and the aussies may take on Ali so will he cope with pressure........? Of course you could say similar things of the aussies, although I think we are more familiar with their four main bowlers and I'm assuming Smith and Marsh will make up any overs.

England have made big scores in the past, but not so many down under and the bowlers won't have home conditions to bail out any shortfall, they'll have to work to get the same kind of results. If ever I looked at a likely England Ashes side and wonders how 3-4 of them were in it, not including bits n pieces cricketers like Woakes and Ali, this would be it. 3 seasoned and somewhat solid batsmen, two seasoned bowlers good enough to pick up wickets to break records through longevity. Sure Anderson and indeed Broad have their moments, but are more steady eddy than bowlers you almost expect to rip batting sides apart. (reiteration, I'm not saying neither does, nor that they aren't capable, but a lot of the time they can prove relatively toothless)