Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3341424344 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1301

Thread: The Cricket Thread

Quote Originally Posted by grenny158 View Post
    Nope, no-one has .. and please don't mention it either, as there just isn't any time. May I just say that this is the first time I have appeared on television? No, I'm sorry, there just isn't time. So - there is no hope, and no time. What is next, I wonder?
    The future, mate.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

aylesbyred is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    The future, mate.
    Or 3-0

Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    Or 3-0
    or 2-1, 2-2, and then 2-3.

BOOM - shakalakkalakka!

The future, mate.
    Right - so that's no hope, no time, no future. I like it, the macabre side to my personality is grinning with joy

Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    Or 3-0
    4-0, Ayles.

Oh, sorry, I thought you were referring to the Spartak game tonight, my bad.

Right - so that's no hope, no time, no future. I like it, the macabre side to my personality is grinning with joy
    Excellent…

https://memegenerator.net/img/images.../evil-grin.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    It's England so it could be all over very quickly..........
    And so it was...........
    People will believe what they want to believe

Unless England shape up sharp they face 5-0.

Doesn't help that Malan and Vince average low to mid 20s, or that Ali is daftly played at #6 where he averages like mid 20s compared to like 63 at #7, or that they played a nightw.atchman and as he wasn't first out England blew two possible all batting partnerships (Root-Ali and either Root-Bairstow or Ali-Bairstow)

With Cook out of sorts and Stoneman only averaging just over 30 in his career so not bad but not exactly great where are the runs going to come from? Someone on another forum was suggesting some kind of line-up think it was something like Malan, Ali, Foakes, Woakes, Crane, Broad, Anderson as 5-11 which frankly seems like going from bad to worse looking as likely if not more to bring a sudden rush of wickets.

It wasn't exactly as if the squad when announced was full of promise, Stoneman, Malan and Vince lucky to make the squad as they make their way, Cook suspected might not do too well and taking several players who either haven't played for England much due to injury or not at all (Foakes/Crane) So potentially heavily reliant on Ali, Root and Bairstow plus chip ins for runs, Broad and Anderson for wickets unless Ali suddenly fooled the aussies into thinking he is a worldie and got them playing for spin that wasn't there or vice versa.

Also the side could easily fall over with so many lefties in the side, add to that an apparent inability to leave or play sensibly that has spread through the side like some plague and the aussies must be laughing.

My biggest grievance though at present is Root not even being able to accept he made a mistake putting the aussies in, in my book it sends out all the wrong messages and I question if he should be captain (not because he chose to bowl, but a number of factors and what you can read into his inability to concede it may have been wrong)

Oh well I never thought we'd do it but the capitulation was there again for all to see. We are such a poor batting side.

Onto the WACA where we've won only once ever.
    It's a sure-fire hammering there with their pace attack and our lack of any pace at all.
    I intended to put a few quid on a 5-0 whitewash before the series started and I wish I had.

Yes, that sums it up nicely, Dave

More stuff about bar trouble today.

What is it with England cricketers ?

So unprofessional itís untrue. The management has to take responsability.

I miss Botham.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddes View Post

So unprofessional itís untrue. The management has to take responsability.
    Besides the players also taking a bit of responsibility, yes. As brainless off the field as they are on it. Trouble is a player like Stokes will be so precious they won't do what would send out the right message to those who behave and those who don't which is never select him again.

Of course it isn't what you do so much as who you are, Duckett might well suffer that but you can bet your bottom aussie dollar Stokes will be back and before the 5-0 is completed if the selectors can find a way

The failures so far....?

Batting

Cook - 62 runs @ 15.50 (HS 37)
    Vince - 102 runs @ 25.50 (HS 83)
    Ali - 105 runs @ 26.25 (HS 40)
    Bairstow - 108 runs @ 27.00 (HS 42)
    Malan - 108 runs @ 27.00 (HS 56)

Vince has scored 19 runs in 3 innings since making 83. Cook made 9 runs in the 1st Test and 53 in the 2nd Test so at least a massive move in the right direction. Ali has got in 3 times and not gone on, #6 is a key position in the order if the top order is going to be so fragile. Malan has got 3 starts and been steady but not gone on, and YJB likewise has got in and not gone on with all of his last 3 innings being between 21 and 42.

Bowling

Ball - 1 wkt @ 115.00
    Ali - 2 wkts @ 98.00

Not as bad, maybe I'm being harder on the batting because Woakes for example has taken 6 wickets but @ 38.83 which is ok but for a similar number of bats is that much better than 27 average.....? Also excluded Root as a part-timer, sadly as someone in the media pointed out our best spinner so far! Well regardless of any unintentional bias or however you want to put it, a bowler paid the price and no batsmen have even though the evidence is they have done their job far worse than the bowlers even if their line and length has been lacking - bowlers do have the get out clause that a batsman loses his wicket that's it, a bowler can bowl plenty of bad balls and only takes one to take a wicket, bad or good.

Batsmen listed may have scored 485 runs but for 20 wickets which is like a solid top to bottom batting XI scoring 243 total.......... Problem is England won't want to drop Cook, definitely not Ali despite averages with bat and ball of 26.25 and 98.00, and not YJB either so doesn't leave much scope and there isn't much in reserve either to bring in - not hard to see before the tour, one of the weakest parties in my book with Foakes, Ball, Overton, Crane, Malan, Ballance and Stoneman all players few would have batted an eyelid if they'd not been selected.

That's pretty bad, SEVEN players not including the replacement and replacement replacement, nor out of form Cook, don't add any tangible strength and are essentially punts. If that party didn't have whitewash written all over it, none has.

LordJamieOfCarragher is online now LFC Forums Moderator

So unprofessional it’s untrue. The management has to take responsability.
    Ben Duckett tipped a drink over Jimmy Anderson.

Quote Originally Posted by LordJamieOfCarragher View Post
    Probably just couldn't hold his beer

Besides the players also taking a bit of responsibility, yes. As brainless off the field as they are on it. Trouble is a player like Stokes will be so precious they won't do what would send out the right message to those who behave and those who don't which is never select him again.

Of course it isn't what you do so much as who you are, Duckett might well suffer that but you can bet your bottom aussie dollar Stokes will be back and before the 5-0 is completed if the selectors can find a way
    Absolutely, Stokes has already been re selected for the one dayers. Might as well go the whole way and just put him back in the test side.

Not sure what point you’re making as you didn’t say but after everything that has gone on, all the negative press etc it’s a stupid, moronic thing to do.

Also, even without all the other stuff the lad should be behaving in a manner of somebody representing his country, not that of a lager lout on a Saturday night in town.

The behaviour of some England players over the last few years has been that of disgusting scum bags.

Not sure what point youíre making as you didnít say but after everything that has gone on, all the negative press etc itís a stupid, moronic thing to do.

Also, even without all the other stuff the lad should be behaving in a manner of somebody representing his country, not that of a lager lout on a Saturday night in town.

The behaviour of some England players over the last few years has been that of disgusting scum bags.
    Yes, it's just so not cricket!

Well he's no different to the rest, one lame Duckett and a bunch of lame ducks.

Anderson is playing down the Duckett incident, making out they are not as childish, moronic etc as it's pretty obvious is their culture.

Anyway, the WACA today and basically deep doo doo. Won their ONCE ever, inserted by the aussies then and making a big score. I reckon that's about their best hope, be put in and the aussies fudge it up.

Maybe England will scrap the spinner that can bowl a bit and bat a bit approach and switch to Crane like they did when it was Giles and Panesar in the whitewash of 06/07. Think they also switched in Read for Jones which made not a bleeding lot of difference, but there is always that school of thought out there that batsmen keepers are a liability when in fact there are so many ways to get a batsman out that don't involve the keeper thus reducing the significance how crucial he is, and that some runs in partnership are better than none, makes it a little less clear cut as is often made out.

England really need Cook, Root and Bairstow to pylon the runs, with input from some of the others, then Anderson and Broad to up their game with support from the rest of the attack, but when it comes to making themselves headliners it seems they do it as much if not more OFF the pitch as on it....

Anderson is playing down the Duckett incident, making out they are not as childish, moronic etc as it's pretty obvious is their culture.

Anyway, the WACA today and basically deep doo doo. Won their ONCE ever, inserted by the aussies then and making a big score. I reckon that's about their best hope, be put in and the aussies fudge it up.

Maybe England will scrap the spinner that can bowl a bit and bat a bit approach and switch to Crane like they did when it was Giles and Panesar in the whitewash of 06/07. Think they also switched in Read for Jones which made not a bleeding lot of difference, but there is always that school of thought out there that batsmen keepers are a liability when in fact there are so many ways to get a batsman out that don't involve the keeper thus reducing the significance how crucial he is, and that some runs in partnership are better than none, makes it a little less clear cut as is often made out.

England really need Cook, Root and Bairstow to pylon the runs, with input from some of the others, then Anderson and Broad to up their game with support from the rest of the attack, but when it comes to making themselves headliners it seems they do it as much if not more OFF the pitch as on it....
    Yep, England seriously have their backs against the wall now .. let's see if they bring some fighting spirit to this Test instead of playing around with it in bars (sorry, couldn't resist), or whether they meekly surrender the entire series. Hard to see them getting even a draw here though, as they certainly have not covered themselves in glory at the WACA before. VERY important toss to win, this one.

Yep, England seriously have their backs against the wall now .. let's see if they bring some fighting spirit to this Test instead of playing around with it in bars (sorry, couldn't resist), or whether they meekly surrender the entire series. Hard to see them getting even a draw here though, as they certainly have not covered themselves in glory at the WACA before. VERY important toss to win, this one.
    Saddest thing is there was little they could do after the 1st Test to turn it around, not as if there are lots of options 'on the bench', a promising youngster who gives it a rip and has done well in the County Championship or a young batsman who's been piling on the runs in the County Championship chomping at the bit for a game.

England have a formula, sometimes they get results especially at home but is that because of the formula or in spite of it? How many games does comical Ali actually win? And I mean WIN, not just take 2nd innings wickets in where the game is pretty much won because a pace bowler knocked the opposition over 1st innings, or the batting put on a big total so a win was fairly inevitable and a spinner as likely as anyone to finish it off. And how often does the middle order batting turn games around when up against it and against opposition of a good standard or better? ie not just windies or say Sri Lanka.

The side is probably not as bad as the late 80s and 90s sides, but then again how many of them had two quicks of good or better quality AND 2+ batsmen like Root and Cook? Not that I believe the 90s sides were that much worse than latter years, they might not have been world beaters but usually did the business at home against sides they should have beaten with odd exceptions (same as now), couldn't beat West Indies but then that side was pretty good and still England held their own at home, and the aussies were basically the best around so not beating them was hardly criminal (excuse the historic pun)

Perhaps the weakest results were Pakistan at home, but with Waqar, Wasim et al not the worst offence, and not like England beat them all the time since first losing to them in 83/84, and drawing with the zimmers away although they were a decent side from the mid 90s until they were ripped apart by politics and retiring players never adequately replaced.

Didn't quite catch it fully, but thought I heard on Talksport earlier whilst switching to CD that Bairstow will "move up to number six". Might not have been crucial in the defeats, but it's pointless disadvantaging yourselves needlessly batting the keeper so low and playing bowlers like Ball, small things add up.

LordJamieOfCarragher is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    England are 242/4.

England are 242/4

100 partnership between Malan and Bairstow.

England are 242/4.

England are 242/4

100 partnership between Malan and Bairstow.

Something of a recovery, Root making small amends for electing to field last time around. England really need to make at least 370 though surely and that is closer but still near 100 runs away.

Was looking at the figures for the newbs, how Vince, Stoneman and Malan had only made fifties with all three now having batted 10+ innings. Malan may be the first to make a century, even if he has been far from chanceless, and a lucky six to his name, it's making most of those 'lives' and not just needing 2-3 to get to a smallish fifty but making it REALLY count.

Of course it could be a very different game when England come to bowl, gather the aussies have been breaking records for average speeds although not sure how many speeds are on record.

England did get one thing right, even if it was arguably done for a less important reason, in moving Bairstow up the order. Not sure the left-right concern was as important as putting him up the order where he can make a difference whilst it doesn't really matter where Ali bats. Crucial overs now, new ball could make or break England's chances. If they can survive with minimal wicket loss then they could make a crucial 200+ partnership but on the flip side if these two can make 150+ runs in partnership then might not the aussies find it as easy when they've seen off early threats against a side might not carry as much threat....?

Yehez is online now Rating revolutionary
    100 for Malan. This partnership has really given England a chance here.

Quote Originally Posted by Yehez View Post
    100 for Malan. This partnership has really given England a chance here.
    If only the aussies had taken their chances like Malan has taken his!

If only the aussies had taken their chances like Malan has taken his!
    Excellent fightback for the 5th wicket here by England. The pseudo-Saffer has done very well.

Cooke has to be dropped. He's been criminally out of form for england for ages and all through this series. He's to England cricket what rooney was to England football. If this was a Liverpool player we'd all be screaming for him to lose his place.

Quote Originally Posted by KOPGIRL1971 View Post
    Cooke has to be dropped. He's been criminally out of form for england for ages and all through this series. He's to England cricket what rooney was to England football. If this was a Liverpool player we'd all be screaming for him to lose his place.
    Nah