Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39474849
Results 1,441 to 1,464 of 1464

Thread: The Cricket Thread

Liverpoolforme is online now First team regular
    England's ODI side is very good. Very good batting all the way down, and imo one of the best bowling attacks.

To lose Plunkett after 1.2 overs and still win was a top effort.

That's 3-0 and the series wrapped up! Now let's get the white wash, and as the Barmy army were singing "We're gonna win 5-4"
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

3-0 England

Great effort, they really are a good one day side.

For me Buttler should be in the test side which would allow Bairstow (who is also an excellent fielder) to concentrate on his batting, Buttler lower down the order can be an early career Gilchrist type who just comes in, plays his own game with no pressure. He wasn’t used properly when he was in that side previously. The test side would be much better like that.

I'd use the last two ODIs to push Ali up the order and get him to prove his worth with the bat with a view to being a sixth bowling option in the side.

Not convinced this side has it in it to get to a World Cup final, just not convinced by the bowling more than the batting. Ali can bowl tidily, but sometimes you need wickets and Stokes can be very hit and miss, as can Woakes and the others. Need to give Rashid a long run in the side, but of the bowlers how many can turn out that real game turner, the 2-3 wickets in an over that can pull games out of the fire? Sure the various England bowlers sometimes return good or better figures, but is there a real star with the ball?

Batting on the other hand is looking pretty strong, Roy coming back well from his dropping which worked well as I recall him being displaced by Bairstow. Not sure who will make way for Stokes, but with Bairstow, Hales, Morgan and Buttler all blazing away well maybe the Ali change at the top of this post could be a chance to rest Root. Wouldn't it be brilliant if you had a set of the below competing for top 6-7 slots :

Hales
    Roy
    Root
    Bairstow
    Ali - if he can prove himself batting up the order
    Morgan
    Stokes
    Buttler

And possibly others I've either forgotten or maybe still need to prove themselves. Just need a bowling version of Roy, Buttler or maybe even of Stokes the batsman. Saw a quiz question the other day of who scored four sixes to win that T20I final I think it was, and all I could remember was who the bowler was!
    People will believe what they want to believe

Well England made a meal of the latest one, 8/5 at one stage with the BBC talking about lowest totals within an hour (prematurely, maybe at 15/7 or 8 not 5 wickets down), and despite Woakes with 78 (?) were never likely to win.

Some might point to the relatively narrow margin, but was the result ever really in doubt? 13 overs to spare, comparison of runs at the loss of the 5th wicket reading 136-8 in Australia's favour, and as I kind of "predicted" in that other forum I oft mention, Ali bowled tidily and none of the bowlers made nearly the dent needed. Sorry but 8-0-41-0 doesn't do anything in most matches, everyone recognises "wickets in hand" as key when batting but never that not taking a wicket contributes to a side having "wickets in hand"...........

Needed Woakes, Wood or Curran to take 2-3 quick wickets, only Rashid made much impression with the ball and there were 66 runs (1/3 of the target) scored between his first and last so hardly quick.

This will be another case of a result should bring England down to earth with a crash, but gets ignored and carry on like it never really happened.

Well England toiling in this final ODI, series may have been over after 3 games but the last 3 have been the pick. aussies might have even won the series had Smith been a little more positive, they lost by a mere 16 runs and with wickets in hand which is a travesty in run chasing terms.

And they're not exactly covering themselves in glory in this one, whilst I gather no side has chased 250+ on this ground, they were looking reasonably on but looks like Curran is going to finish the aussie chase off. aussies have not really paced this one well, charging along at near six an over chasing a target below that, and losing regular and key wickets such that England didn't have to bowl out of their skins even.

Have to question if Ball or Willey are good enough for ODIs, mirroring each other's figures of 0/32 off 7 overs at present, ball having taken 21 wickets at 42.52 prior to this game and Willey 35 at nearly the same for an average (probably will be at the end even if he does bag a wicket, but not if he bags two late scalps)

And what was with Rashid batting above Willey and Curran?!?!? Has a decent batting average and a couple of 50s with another score off 44no vs Bangladesh, but a weak as water SR whilst Curran scored 11no off 11 balls today, 39 and 23no so his SR will be 58.78 which is somewhat quicker AND he's yet to bomb out with his batting. Willey scores quickly with an SR of 67.90, modest average and range of scores with a HS of 26, but is batting 7-9 but a similar average to Rashid batting at #8 with a much better SR of over 95 that any batsman would be proud

All but game over now, wickets up for grabs whilst Paine is toiling - unlikely to be a Tye now Ali has nabbed a cheap wicket. Two chases I'd say the aussies have got quite badly wrong, they may not get as close as 16 runs here though

DiddlerDave is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Well England toiling in this final ODI, series may have been over after 3 games but the last 3 have been the pick. aussies might have even won the series had Smith been a little more positive, they lost by a mere 16 runs and with wickets in hand which is a travesty in run chasing terms.

And they're not exactly covering themselves in glory in this one, whilst I gather no side has chased 250+ on this ground, they were looking reasonably on but looks like Curran is going to finish the aussie chase off. aussies have not really paced this one well, charging along at near six an over chasing a target below that, and losing regular and key wickets such that England didn't have to bowl out of their skins even.

Have to question if Ball or Willey are good enough for ODIs, mirroring each other's figures of 0/32 off 7 overs at present, ball having taken 21 wickets at 42.52 prior to this game and Willey 35 at nearly the same for an average (probably will be at the end even if he does bag a wicket, but not if he bags two late scalps)

And what was with Rashid batting above Willey and Curran?!?!? Has a decent batting average and a couple of 50s with another score off 44no vs Bangladesh, but a weak as water SR whilst Curran scored 11no off 11 balls today, 39 and 23no so his SR will be 58.78 which is somewhat quicker AND he's yet to bomb out with his batting. Willey scores quickly with an SR of 67.90, modest average and range of scores with a HS of 26, but is batting 7-9 but a similar average to Rashid batting at #8 with a much better SR of over 95 that any batsman would be proud

All but game over now, wickets up for grabs whilst Paine is toiling - unlikely to be a Tye now Ali has nabbed a cheap wicket. Two chases I'd say the aussies have got quite badly wrong, they may not get as close as 16 runs here though
    Close, but no cigar, mate. Still, not a bad call.

Fantastic win and a fantastic series for England.

Our bowling attack is very good, and I think this is what sets us apart from some of the other sides.

4-1 win away from home, no mean feat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolforme View Post
    Our bowling attack is very good, and I think this is what sets us apart from some of the other sides..
    Can't agree, it's the batting that most often gives England a win and the bowling often flatters to deceive. They've done ok, but the aussies were nothing special and chasing in the opening two ODIs made it look easy. Hopefully Roy, Buttler and others can keep it up, but there'll be tougher tests than this series ahead and the ultimate test is the World Cup

4-1 win away from home, no mean feat that.
    Could so easily have been 3-2 to the aussies, and whilst they aren't the same side they once were, it's enough that this is their first home series defeat since Sri Lanka beat them 2-1 in 2010/11, they'd won SEVEN on the bounce but as I've said they arguably should have at least made it 2-3 if not 3-2..

Ironically England have won five home ODI series on the bounce and were last beaten by............... the aussies. This is the first time they've won two away ODI series in a row, excluding one-offs against now newbs in Tests or those not even Test nations, since beating South Africa then Bangladesh in 09/10.

We'll see if England have properly progressed once the bad boy is back in the ranks...

Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    Close, but no cigar, mate. Still, not a bad call.
    Was referencing the 16 run win England scraped in the 3rd ODI, wasn't so much a prediction and if anything I was wrong because they did get as close or closer....

Could so easily have been 3-2 to the aussies, and whilst they aren't the same side they once were, it's enough that this is their first home series defeat since Sri Lanka beat them 2-1 in 2010/11, they'd won SEVEN on the bounce but as I've said they arguably should have at least made it 2-3 if not 3-2..
    Shoulda coulda woulda, we won because we are a damn good ODI side. We deserved a 4-1 win margin.

Shoulda coulda woulda, we won because we are a damn good ODI side. We deserved a 4-1 win margin.
    Proof will be in the pudding. Discussed this with a disgruntled bitter-tonian early this morning, he said the aussies look at things positively and I asked him who are the current World champions (World Cup holders)................

Winning a bilateral series, by brute force of batting mostly and the incompetence of the opposition in approach, is one thing, doing it when it matters is something England fail to do time and again. The only major Test nation not to have won a 50+ overs competition aren't they? West Indies, Australia, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, India and New Zealand have won either the World Cup or the Champions Trophy, England have lost FIVE finals so are the Jimmy White of the cricket world losers.

I always hope England might do well, but these days they aren't even close other than celebrating the highs then dusting the lows under the carpet and pretending like that was a blip. Good result? Yes. Proof of anything? No.

Proof will be in the pudding. Discussed this with a disgruntled bitter-tonian early this morning, he said the aussies look at things positively and I asked him who are the current World champions (World Cup holders)................

Winning a bilateral series, by brute force of batting mostly and the incompetence of the opposition in approach, is one thing, doing it when it matters is something England fail to do time and again. The only major Test nation not to have won a 50+ overs competition aren't they? West Indies, Australia, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, India and New Zealand have won either the World Cup or the Champions Trophy, England have lost FIVE finals so are the Jimmy White of the cricket world losers.

I always hope England might do well, but these days they aren't even close other than celebrating the highs then dusting the lows under the carpet and pretending like that was a blip. Good result? Yes. Proof of anything? No.
    I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. You can be a good side without being world champions. To be the best yes you do, but I never said England were the best ODI side. I think we have as good a chance as anyone, but I guess we will find out!

In other news how flat must this Bangladeshi wicket be? 513 all out for Bangladesh and Sri Lanka currently on 504/3!

Alpha Papa is online now Academy prospect
    Assume I'm months behind here.. but enjoyed watching this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIYu...ature=youtu.be

Ox looks like and awesome batsmen. He's also pretty strong bowler I think.

DiddlerDave is online now First team regular
    Quite by accident I caught a programme on one of the sports channels… Ice Cricket T/20 at St Moritz!

Played on a lake… with a green 'fake grass/carpet' laid on planks as a batting strip. Everyone wrapped up in padded gear against the cold etc

Kallis, Jayawardene, Sehwag, Vettori, Afridi, McCullum… what a hoot!

Wow - England trounced today in ODI tri series game with Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Wow - England trounced today in ODI tri series game with Australia
    You mean 20/20 right?

Well it's who does it when it matters, just can't help but feel with England they take a few steps forward and then leap backwards, not that this is a giant leap but you know what I mean.

Don't think you can argue with the aussie records in knockouts, although in T20 their best performance is runner-up, they've won four of the last five World Cups and two of the last four Champions Trophies albeit not since 2009

aussies are one of those sides never seems to stay down, I know I may be the only one who sees that the ODI series was more closely contested than the scoreline might suggest, but they were architects of their own downfall from winnable positions - Smith and Marsh letting the run rate get on top of them in one, pushing too hard and fast for runs in another and getting close but no cigar in both. T20 is a lot more frenetic, maybe contributed to their ODI series loss as it seems almost any pace is possible in ODIs as well as T20s these days.

So, Ben Stokes, he's kept away from the Ashes before he's even charged, yet now that he has been charged, he's off tomorrow to join up with the squad in New Zealand?

How the **** do you work that one out?

Quote Originally Posted by KOPGIRL1971 View Post
    So, Ben Stokes, he's kept away from the Ashes before he's even charged, yet now that he has been charged, he's off tomorrow to join up with the squad in New Zealand?

How the **** do you work that one out?
    Maybe he didn't fancy a spanking at the hands of the Aussies?
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    Maybe he didn't fancy a spanking at the hands of the Aussies?
    Maybe if he had played, we wouldn't have been spanked? I reckon we would have won.

Just can't fathom why they wouldn't select him. Talk about sabotaging your own ambitions.

Quote Originally Posted by KOPGIRL1971 View Post
    Maybe if he had played, we wouldn't have been spanked? I reckon we would have won.

Just can't fathom why they wouldn't select him. Talk about sabotaging your own ambitions.
    More crazy is not picking him whilst they didn't know what was going to happen and now picking him when he faces a court case and charges of affray

What exactly were they waiting to find out? If it was to see if he was cleared then clearly he wasn't, maybe they just needed to be sure he wasn't being charged of drug offences or something

The ECB have a full proof decision making process. Write down your top 5 decisions and pull one out the hat! Not our fault, the hat decided!

Well England couldn't win well enough in the nothing cricket series they're playing, have to question the captaincy with Curran bowling one over (hit for 17) and then bowling so well at the death to steal victory for England but ultimately not enough