Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 882

Thread: London tower block fire.

  1. #31  
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    23,729
    This Grenfell action group look like they have been campaigning for some time because they foresaw something like this happening.

    https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpres...ing-with-fire/


    It is a truly terrifying thought but the Grenfell Action Group firmly believe that only a catastrophic event will expose the ineptitude and incompetence of our landlord, the KCTMO, and bring an end to the dangerous living conditions and neglect of health and safety legislation that they inflict upon their tenants and leaseholders. We believe that the KCTMO are an evil, unprincipled, mini-mafia who have no business to be charged with the responsibility of looking after the every day management of large scale social housing estates and that their sordid collusion with the RBKC Council is a recipe for a future major disaster.
    The Grenfell Action Group predict that it wonít be long before the words of this blog come back to haunt the KCTMO management and we will do everything in our power to ensure that those in authority know how long and how appallingly our landlord has ignored their responsibility to ensure the heath and safety of their tenants and leaseholders. They canít say that they havenít been warned!
    Theres plenty of blogs on their page where they bring up the standard of the buildings and how much of a fire hazard they have become. Their seems to be another blog about the fact the building itself had previously experienced a lot of power surges due to faulty wiring and a lot of people had awoken to find that some of their electrical items smoking.

    Seems that a lot of their concerns have fallen on deaf ears.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #32  
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    44,562
    Quote Originally Posted by rhoscoch View Post
    What?

    How about the fact that just last year the Tories voted against a Labour bill to make it law that rented accommodation should be fit for human habitation. What does that sound like it prioritises to you? Safety? No...Money, the Conservative God.
    Let's not get political here, especially as we still don't know the cause, or the reason why it spread so rapidly, but this regeneration project last year cost £10m, so you would think improving fire and safety measures would have been incorporated and, if they weren't, then that is negligence at a local level.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #33  
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    40,849
    Quote Originally Posted by rhoscoch View Post
    What?

    How about the fact that just last year the Tories voted against a Labour bill to make it law that rented accommodation should be fit for human habitation. What does that sound like it prioritises to you? Safety? No...Money, the Conservative God.
    Exactly, there's services that should never be cut like health, security and safety.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #34  
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    40,849
    Quote Originally Posted by KOPGIRL1971 View Post
    Let's not get political here, especially as we still don't know the cause, or the reason why it spread so rapidly, but this regeneration project last year cost £10m, so you would think improving fire and safety measures would have been incorporated and, if they weren't, then that is negligence at a local level.
    These improvements passed the regulations....that would point at the regulations not being stringent enough.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #35  
    kas74 is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    37,389
    Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    This Grenfell action group look like they have been campaigning for some time because they foresaw something like this happening.

    https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpres...ing-with-fire/





    Theres plenty of blogs on their page where they bring up the standard of the buildings and how much of a fire hazard they have become. Their seems to be another blog about the fact the building itself had previously experienced a lot of power surges due to faulty wiring and a lot of people had awoken to find that some of their electrical items smoking.

    Seems that a lot of their concerns have fallen on deaf ears.
    There was a guy on earlier saying that 90% of residents signed a petition saying they were concerned about the safety of the building but the council didn't want to know.
    He also said something like 68% of them had been threatened or intimidated by the people responsible for managing the block and the contractors carrying out the work.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #36  
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    23,729
    Quote Originally Posted by kas74 View Post
    There was a guy on earlier saying that 90% of residents signed a petition saying they were concerned about the safety of the building but the council didn't want to know.
    He also said something like 68% of them had been threatened or intimidated by the people responsible for managing the block and the contractors carrying out the work.
    Yeah it seems everyone knew it wasn't fir for purpose and that it has fallen on deaf ears time and time again. As I say on that website there is countless blogs about the concerns they had.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #37  
    aylesbyred is online now Boot Room insider
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    51,230
    Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    This Grenfell action group look like they have been campaigning for some time because they foresaw something like this happening.

    https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpres...ing-with-fire/





    Theres plenty of blogs on their page where they bring up the standard of the buildings and how much of a fire hazard they have become. Their seems to be another blog about the fact the building itself had previously experienced a lot of power surges due to faulty wiring and a lot of people had awoken to find that some of their electrical items smoking.

    Seems that a lot of their concerns have fallen on deaf ears.
    wow
    dont look back in anger.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #38  
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    11,803
    Quote Originally Posted by KOPGIRL1971 View Post
    Let's not get political here, especially as we still don't know the cause, or the reason why it spread so rapidly, but this regeneration project last year cost £10m, so you would think improving fire and safety measures would have been incorporated and, if they weren't, then that is negligence at a local level.
    So the local council then?

    I'm fine with that, for now.

    However councils need national regulatory instruments in place in order to be able to enforce anything.

    Out of interest...who runs this particular council?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #39  
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    11,803
    Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    Yeah it seems everyone knew it wasn't fir for purpose and that it has fallen on deaf ears time and time again. As I say on that website there is countless blogs about the concerns they had.
    Indeed so.

    This is clearly profit motive at play.

    Free market economics.

    No need for fit for human habitation legislation, the market will take care of it, regulate itself, people won't live in unsafe conditions by choice see...oh wait, they don't have a choice you say.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #40  
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    44,562
    Quote Originally Posted by rhoscoch View Post
    So the local council then?

    I'm fine with that, for now.

    However councils need national regulatory instruments in place in order to be able to enforce anything.

    Out of interest...who runs this particular council?
    The conservatives I think.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #41  
    +Shriekback+ is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    11,059
    Quote Originally Posted by LordJamieOfCarragher View Post
    Some amazing stories coming out already.

    Unconfirmed report of a woman dropping her baby from the 9th floor for someone on the ground to catch!
    Luckily the baby was 'caught by a man on the ground'

    Thank god.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #42  
    Euro-77-78-81-84-05 is online now Ask him if the match is on TV
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    42,273
    *******s that ignored the concerns and used cheapest labour and materials to "improve" the flats should face manslaughter. The council can pay for the funerals from the rent they took from them and pocketed rather then improve living conditions The council members can also rehouse the residents in their own houses until they find them new accommodation, as I bet right now they are not looking for new accommodation but instead devising strategies to avoid the blame.

    They clearly think the residents lives are less important as they are "lower class" yet they are now also endangering the lives of fire fighters and other members of the public who may have a longer wait in response from one or more of the three emergency services as they are all tied up as this avoidable fire. Why not spend the Christmas do money on fitting fire alarms and sprinklers
    YNWA
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #43  
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    44,562
    Quote Originally Posted by Euro-77-78-81-84-05 View Post
    *******s that ignored the concerns and used cheapest labour and materials to "improve" the flats should face manslaughter. The council can pay for the funerals from the rent they took from them and pocketed rather then improve living conditions The council members can also rehouse the residents in their own houses until they find them new accommodation, as I bet right now they are not looking for new accommodation but instead devising strategies to avoid the blame.

    They clearly think the residents lives are less important as they are "lower class" yet they are now also endangering the lives of fire fighters and other members of the public who may have a longer wait in response from one or more of the three emergency services as they are all tied up as this avoidable fire. Why not spend the Christmas do money on fitting fire alarms and sprinklers
    History is littered with instances where unscrupulous developers and landlords have cut corners and endangered lives.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #44  
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    32,368
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #45  
    WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    33,278
    Quote Originally Posted by KOPGIRL1971 View Post
    Let's not get political here, especially as we still don't know the cause, or the reason why it spread so rapidly, but this regeneration project last year cost £10m, so you would think improving fire and safety measures would have been incorporated and, if they weren't, then that is negligence at a local level.
    How can you not 'get political'? They've failed these poor people, who saw this coming a mile off.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #46  
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    11,803
    Quote Originally Posted by KOPGIRL1971 View Post
    History is littered with instances where unscrupulous developers and landlords have cut corners and endangered lives.
    So what? Do you have a point?

    See the unscrupulous developers and landlords, by definition you know they must be Tories right?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #47  
    kas74 is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    37,389
    Quote Originally Posted by naturalskill View Post
    There's a shock.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #48  
    TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    36,337
    I saw the smoke from my work place. Just heartbreaking.
    ?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #49  
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    23,729
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMelwoodMole View Post
    I saw the smoke from my work place. Just heartbreaking.
    Has it been put out yet?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #50  
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    28,818
    Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    Has it been put out yet?
    Nope.

    Still burning.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #51  
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    23,729
    Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    Nope.

    Still burning.
    Jesus
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #52  
    TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    36,337
    Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    Has it been put out yet?
    Smoke is still there, just seeing some of the stuff that's happening is making me really sad. I've got some unwanted baby clothes I'll give away once I get home from work tonight.
    ?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #53  
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    16,306
    Quote Originally Posted by Shriekback View Post
    Luckily the baby was 'caught by a man on the ground'

    Thank god.
    thats amazing . if true
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #54  
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,167
    Deleted comments in this thread? come on guys :FP:

    RIP the poor people who have lost their lives in this tragedy.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #55  
    TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    36,337
    Any londoners feel free donate any unwanted clothes, spare food, drinks and toiletries please.

    Contact me via twitter I'll DM you the address or can I post it here mods?
    ?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #56  
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    54,462
    Quote Originally Posted by godworethenumber9 View Post
    Deleted comments in this thread? come on guys :FP:

    RIP the poor people who have lost their lives in this tragedy.
    Unfortunately, when comments are mass deleted rather than edited, it makes the situation look a lot worse than it was.

    Most of the posts deleted were simply a comment on one post that was in poor taste.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #57  
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    54,462
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMelwoodMole View Post
    Any londoners feel free donate any unwanted clothes, spare food, drinks and toiletries please.

    Contact me via twitter I'll DM you the address or can I post it here mods?
    The council has said it is already inundated with donations and is being overwhelmed by these contributions.

    https://www.rbkc.gov.uk/newsroom/all...#594144bb2c872

    So heartwarming to see this kind of reaction from people.

    Just like the reaction to the recent terror attacks, it's so life affirming.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #58  
    TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    36,337
    Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    The council has said it is already inundated with donations and is being overwhelmed by these contributions.
    Good stuff.
    ?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #59  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,294
    Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    The council has said it is already inundated with donations and is being overwhelmed by these contributions.

    https://www.rbkc.gov.uk/newsroom/all...#594144bb2c872

    So heartwarming to see this kind of reaction from people.

    Just like the reaction to the recent terror attacks, it's so life affirming.
    Good to hear.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #60  
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    44,562
    Latest police report of death toll: 12 and rising.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •