Notices
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: General Election 2017...The Aftermath.

1. #1 Default General Election 2017...The Aftermath. 
    GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Coalition?

Minority Government?

Back to the polls?

All up for grabs.
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Tory and DUP coalition I'm afraid

Minority government and back to the polls in six months when Brexit negotiations have floundered is what I can foresee. The hard Brexiteers in the Conservative party will push in one direction and the DUP will push for a softer Brexit in the other direction, leading to an untenable situation, which will provoke an impasse and the DUP will no longer support the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Toredo View Post
    Minority government and back to the polls in six months when Brexit negotiations have floundered is what I can foresee. The hard Brexiteers in the Conservative party will push in one direction and the DUP will push for a softer Brexit in the other direction, leading to an untenable situation, which will provoke an impasse and the DUP will no longer support the government.
    I think the DUP will support them purely as they just want to be at the big boys table

Quote Originally Posted by GrottonRed View Post
    Coalition?

Minority Government?

Back to the polls?

All up for grabs.
    Could be looking at the first one established, then failing.

The second one established, then failing.

Then the third.

Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams warned British Prime Minister Theresa May on Thursday that any agreement between the Tories and the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) would be in breach of the Good Friday Agreement.

Speaking to media in front of 10 Downing Street, Adams said he delivered a blunt message to the prime minister. “We have just finished a meeting with the British prime minister and her secretary of state [Damian Green]. And we told her very directly that she was in breach of the Good Friday Agreement and we itemized those matters in which she was dilatory or in default in relation to that agreement,” the Guardian reported.

http://www.politico.eu/article/gerry...day-agreement/

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPool Stark View Post
    Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams warned British Prime Minister Theresa May on Thursday that any agreement between the Tories and the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) would be in breach of the Good Friday Agreement.

Speaking to media in front of 10 Downing Street, Adams said he delivered a blunt message to the prime minister. “We have just finished a meeting with the British prime minister and her secretary of state [Damian Green]. And we told her very directly that she was in breach of the Good Friday Agreement and we itemized those matters in which she was dilatory or in default in relation to that agreement,” the Guardian reported.

Worrying

Quote Originally Posted by Coach791 View Post
    Worrying
    Its good that it is now on official record May was warned this was seen as a breach of the Good Friday Agreement, and she is choosing to plow on anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jaredb_7 View Post
    Its good that it is now on official record May was warned this was seen as a breach of the Good Friday Agreement, and she is choosing to plow on anyway.
    Yep, no excuses then when it kicks off.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach791 View Post
    Worrying
    really don't wanna live through any of that stuff again

dreams-come-true is online now First team regular
    Hmmmm... It will all end in tears with the DUP. Hung Parliament ... should revote or find another Party to coalition with, but not the DUP!!!
    Last edited by dreams-come-true; 16-6-17 at 23:37.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPool Stark View Post

She'll likely carry on so desperate & out of touch with reality is she.

Hoping for a shred of dignity but too much to ask perhaps

I'm certain we will have another election this year.

Quote Originally Posted by angelYNWA View Post
    I'm certain we will have another election this year.
    I did reckon 2 years, but as the mistakes have grown - it could be around 6 months at the moment....So it will be anyones guess

What's the point of another do Election?
    Oh I know.the chance for more lefties and stoodents who have never voted before to jump on the corbyn bandwagon. Then another hung parliament!!

Quote Originally Posted by seasonedtraveller View Post
    What's the point of another do Election?
    Oh I know.the chance for more lefties and stoodents who have never voted before to jump on the corbyn bandwagon. Then another hung parliament!!
    What's your problem mate? You seem so hostile to people with a different viewpoint to you. I've just finished uni and I've voted in both elections I've been old enough to vote in as well as the EU referendum. Shall we just not vote then cause of this apparent "bandwagon"? If there's another election, Labour might get a majority, or at least be able to form a decent coalition.

Quote Originally Posted by S_7 View Post
    What's your problem mate? You seem so hostile to people with a different viewpoint to you. I've just finished uni and I've voted in both elections I've been old enough to vote in as well as the EU referendum. Shall we just not vote then cause of this apparent "bandwagon"? If there's another election, Labour might get a majority, or at least be able to form a decent coalition.
    Tories have a majority. People should get over it. We've had a year of talking about elections and referendums. Let's get on with life instead of arguing the toss.
    As for my problems with the youth of today......its because most of them I've heard talk are clueless about life.
    Maybe it's my age but youngsters are now molly coddled throughout their life and live in cloud cuckoo land. Maybe when the actually grow up and are supporting themselves they might have a better idea and their votes would be different.

Quote Originally Posted by S_7 View Post
    Gotta win first -

The tories won't be as bad next time round

May killed herself in the live debate shows, no style, no confidence, no arrogance - Corbyn had that sealed
    Labour also had the marketing off pat too, Tories had no logo, no twitter and Facebook line, Labours media advertising left the tories a shipwreck...
    Importantly the tories had no polling day advert, it was a clean sweep by labour
    Labour used todays tools to mobilise its campaigners, the tories had all but switched off
    Lastly - Labour had the better manifesto......
    Last edited by Mysteron; 17-6-17 at 11:53.

Quote Originally Posted by seasonedtraveller View Post
    Tories have a majority. People should get over it. We've had a year of talking about elections and referendums. Let's get on with life instead of arguing the toss.
    As for my problems with the youth of today......its because most of them I've heard talk are clueless about life.
    Maybe it's my age but youngsters are now molly coddled throughout their life and live in cloud cuckoo land. Maybe when the actually grow up and are supporting themselves they might have a better idea and their votes would be different.
    They don't have enough to form a majority government though, if we just let them form one without having a sufficient amount of seats then it defeats the object of having a number of seats for a majority.

Speaking for myself, it's insanely hard to move out of your parents house due to house prices being ridiculous as well as renting costs. If you do rent, it seems that you'll never be able to save up for a deposit for a house. That's alongside having student debt, a social life, buying food and other things to survive.

I for one don't see politics as always thinking about what's better for yourself, it's about society. In 2015, my family would have been better off financially by voting Conservative, however we all voted labour. I suppose when you have worked so hard and struggled yourself to finally be in a comfortable financial position, you understand the struggles of others and have sympathy for them. I do also understand how frustrating it can be when people exploit our benefit system to live off others hard earned money, but there are also massive companies not paying taxes which is costing the country a hell of a lot more.

Some of us are clueless about life and haven't grown up because it's so hard to actually get on your own two feet and live a happy lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Gotta win first -

The tories won't be as bad next time round

May killed herself in the live debate shows, no style, no confidence, no arrogance - Corbyn had the sealed
    Labour also had the marketing off pat too, Tories had no logo, no twitter and Facebook line, Labours media advertising left the tories a shipwreck...
    Importantly the tories had no polling day advert, it was a clean sweep by labour
    Labour used todays tools to mobilise its campaigners, the tories had all but switched off
    Lastly - Labour had the better manifesto......
    I do agree, if conservatives bring someone in better than May they could win the election. It was a combination of her being weak and Corbyn being strong. However, Corbyn's ideas have been put in place and are being welcomed all over the country so who knows what could happen.

naturalskill is online now First team regular
    thousands protesting and chanting "May Must Go!"
    check this out

Quote Originally Posted by naturalskill View Post
    check this out
    Corbyn supporters stooping very low now. Most of those people don't even live in that area I bet. Bussed in by unions and leftie groups

The idea of a coalition has never sat right with me. If your party shares that many common values that you can align yourself with another party then there's something not quite right with your party.

It should be that you govern with a minority and stand or fall on your policies.

Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    The idea of a coalition has never sat right with me. If your party shares that many common values that you can align yourself with another party then there's something not quite right with your party.

It should be that you govern with a minority and stand or fall on your policies.
    But there are parties that have some differences as well. Like the primacy or extent of certain political positions or party A agrees with party B 70% of the time but fundamentally disagree on others.

Examples being Green party being annoyed they could not give more airtime to environmental policies or Plaid wondering why there is a mismatch between the Corbyn manifesto and what the Welsh government has delivered or pledged to deliver.

It should also be noted that no GB major party runs in Northern Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    But there are parties that have some differences as well. Like the primacy or extent of certain political positions or party A agrees with party B 70% of the time but fundamentally disagree on others.

Examples being Green party being annoyed they could not give more airtime to environmental policies or Plaid wondering why there is a mismatch between the Corbyn manifesto and what the Welsh government has delivered or pledged to deliver.

It should also be noted that no GB major party runs in Northern Ireland.
    Yes of course but we're talking about two parties forming a ruling government. That cannot be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by naturalskill View Post
    check this out
    I'm not fan of May or this Tory government but that's ridiculous. How was the fire her fault?

Quote Originally Posted by Ganymede View Post
    I'm not fan of May or this Tory government but that's ridiculous. How was the fire her fault?
    she is Prime Minister and before that Home Secretary for 7 years, while the fire itself was not her fault, she and the Tory party are certainly a contributing factor to the conditions that led to it.

This has been building for years, and it has finally exploded on her watch. David Cameron, Boris Johnson, Jacob Rees Mogg, Phillip Davies and many many others in her party have constantly attacked the notion of a "health and safety" culture both in speeches, newspaper articles and bills in Parliament.

Quote Originally Posted by angelYNWA View Post
    she is Prime Minister and before that Home Secretary for 7 years, while the fire itself was not her fault, she and the Tory party are certainly a contributing factor to the conditions that led to it.
    Tenuous at best.

Still doesn't explain why May should go.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganymede View Post
    Tenuous at best.

Still doesn't explain why May should go.
    well one good reason is she is completely incapable of doing the job she was given.

Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    Yes of course but we're talking about two parties forming a ruling government. That cannot be correct.
    Why not and in many methods of electing governments this tends to be the norm as in a multi party system it is difficult to have one party that has a majority.