Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2363717273
Results 2,161 to 2,184 of 2184

Thread: Donald Trump POTUS...still...?

  1. #2161  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,904
    Anti-LGBT politician resigns after being 'caught having sex with man in his office'

    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a8060631.html
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #2162  
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    3,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewdleyfan View Post
    Anti-LGBT politician resigns after being 'caught having sex with man in his office'

    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a8060631.html
    Mike Pence?

    Oh no, I guess we're still waiting for his unveiling.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #2163  
    White Star Line is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10,079
    Almost every homophobic politician may as well use "I'm a closeted homosexual" as a campaign slogan.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #2164  
    lfcstlouis is online now Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    24,092
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredb_7 View Post
    Mike Pence?

    Oh no, I guess we're still waiting for his unveiling.
    Also, I want to bring up the ridiculously stupid, and awful 'Mike Pence Rule.'

    It doesn't stop sexual harassment, but amplifies it. It creates and encourages the behavior because it doesn't address the root cause of the issue. Men acting inappropriately. The only way for men to learn to NOT do these things, is to know it's wrong, know you can't do it, and learn if you do.

    On top of that, it hinders women in the workplace, and stifles their ability to be leaders, managers, and equal workers. It clearly shows that these men don't think of women as equals in business or as basic humans, but as purely sexual beings. They can only exist in our world for 1 thing. And if you need another person in the room to prevent you from sexually assaulting someone, then there is only 1 person that shouldn't be in that room.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #2165  
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    9,867
    Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    Also, I want to bring up the ridiculously stupid, and awful 'Mike Pence Rule.'

    It doesn't stop sexual harassment, but amplifies it. It creates and encourages the behavior because it doesn't address the root cause of the issue. Men acting inappropriately. The only way for men to learn to NOT do these things, is to know it's wrong, know you can't do it, and learn if you do.

    On top of that, it hinders women in the workplace, and stifles their ability to be leaders, managers, and equal workers. It clearly shows that these men don't think of women as equals in business or as basic humans, but as purely sexual beings. They can only exist in our world for 1 thing. And if you need another person in the room to prevent you from sexually assaulting someone, then there is only 1 person that shouldn't be in that room.
    A man shouldn't need a chaperone to make sure he doesn't commit a sex crime. Maybe the Mike Pence rule should be that if you need a chaperone you aren't fit for public office or any office for that matter.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #2166  
    Acumen is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    46,181
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortigen View Post
    A man shouldn't need a chaperone to make sure he doesn't commit a sex crime. Maybe the Mike Pence rule should be that if you need a chaperone you aren't fit for public office or any office for that matter.
    I thought his rule was to never to go out to dinner with another woman?

    Or is it more than one rule? I'm not sure.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #2167  
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    9,867
    One thing that I wish got more coverage in the whole Trump mess is the work he and the GoP are doing with judicial appointments. Nothing else they do will have as lasting an impact as appointing federal judges. These are lifetime appointments, and the people appointed have all been relatively young and very extreme in their views. One appointment is a 36 year-old guy with 3 years legal experience, who spent most of his adult life running a conservative blog.

    Judges like this can do serious harm to American civil liberties, worker's rights, etc., especially if one or two more Supreme Court judges retire and Trump gets to replace them. Nothing scares me more, honestly.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #2168  
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    3,503
    The Dems looking worse and worse every time one of them goes on TV and is asked about Al Franken. This includes Sanders who I expected better from.

    I agree with FiveThirtyEight that they had an opportunity to take the massive and clear high ground on sexually inappropriate misconduct and instead they are simply protecting their own, chasticising the opppsition, and all of a sudden Bill Clinton is very relevant again.

    There are obviously varying degrees of these allegations, notable between Moore and Franken, and the reality is yes, there are wider questions to be asked about when someone is guilty before they’ve had a trial. But the fact is the Dems went after Moore hard despite these wider questions so as soon as the Franken stuff came to light needed to walk the walk.

    They didn’t because they are as hypocritical and partisan as the GOP and always have been.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #2169  
    White Star Line is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10,079
    I don't know of any Democrats who are openly defending Franken, who yes while I think he should resign, has requested an ethics investigation into his conduct. It's entirely different to Republicans either being blatantly evasive regarding their support of Moore, and Trump, or outright continuing to support them, despite in both cases, multiple accusers and in Trump's case, an audio tape of him openly bragging about sexual assault. As for Clinton, it's a red herring. The guy has been investigated ad naseum for decades, and Kirsten Gillibrand was ridiculous for even bringing up the Lewinsky affair, which while foolish on Clinton's part, was entirely consensual.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #2170  
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    17,810
    Quote Originally Posted by White Star Line View Post
    I don't know of any Democrats who are openly defending Franken, who yes while I think he should resign, has requested an ethics investigation into his conduct. It's entirely different to Republicans either being blatantly evasive regarding their support of Moore, and Trump, or outright continuing to support them, despite in both cases, multiple accusers and in Trump's case, an audio tape of him openly bragging about sexual assault. As for Clinton, it's a red herring. The guy has been investigated ad naseum for decades, and Kirsten Gillibrand was ridiculous for even bringing up the Lewinsky affair, which while foolish on Clinton's part, was entirely consensual.
    Although I think it was the New Yorker who had an editorial decrying the issue of increased tribalisation of politics which, whilst they were focusing on Republicans vs Democrats with various statements from Alabaman Republicans like why did they wait until now to voice this issue to "even if he did it I would still vote for him over the Democrat opponent", is happening around the world. Where the vote will always go to the party irrespective of the individual receiving the vote and their past. Along with the "la la la I am not listening to your point of view because it is at odds to mine" and mine is 100% correct and perfect I am not even going to acknowledge any flaws exist.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #2171  
    White Star Line is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10,079
    It's a common argument used against alleged victims of sexual abuse that their allegations are too old and should have come forth earlier, yet we've seen with the Trump tape, which was only made in 2005, that even a relatively recent admission of sexual misconduct or abuse simply doesn't matter to the right wing base, who elected him anyway. The Moore allegations could have been based on events that took place THIS year, and it wouldn't make any difference to his apologists.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #2172  
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    3,503
    Nothing of note ever comes from ethics investigations except a slap on the wrist. They are saying Moore should step down but saying “woah woah woah, we aren’t going to rush judgement on Franklin, there needs to be an investigation”.

    What’s the investigation going to investigate? Franklin’s has basically admitted what happened was probably true so presumably they are simply going to take months or years to decide whether groping a woman without permission and pressuring her to kiss you is bad enough to stop you from being senator - for a party positioning themselves as the champion of women’s rights, is this even a question that should be debated?

    I’m not trying to conflate groping adults at a party with molesting underage girls, but in terms of optics the fact is the Dems has an opportunity to claim the moral high ground and decided to pass. And this was before the second Franklin allegation came to light, which as more and more surface make them look sillier and sillier.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #2173  
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    9,867
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredb_7 View Post
    Nothing of note ever comes from ethics investigations except a slap on the wrist. They are saying Moore should step down but saying “woah woah woah, we aren’t going to rush judgement on Franklin, there needs to be an investigation”.

    What’s the investigation going to investigate? Franklin’s has basically admitted what happened was probably true so presumably they are simply going to take months or years to decide whether groping a woman without permission and pressuring her to kiss you is bad enough to stop you from being senator - for a party positioning themselves as the champion of women’s rights, is this even a question that should be debated?

    I’m not trying to conflate groping adults at a party with molesting underage girls, but in terms of optics the fact is the Dems has an opportunity to claim the moral high ground and decided to pass. And this was before the second Franklin allegation came to light, which as more and more surface make them look sillier and sillier.
    I agree with you, but to play devil's advocate for a minute, when has taking the moral high ground actually helped a politician in America? Let's not forget who our president is.

    I would also be absolutely shocked if Franken is the only sitting Senator who sexually harassed women in his life. I'd say there are probably more closeted sex offenders in the Senate than voted for the latest GoP health bill. Very few of these people can afford to throw any stones, and it shows by their reactions to Moore, Franken, as well as Trump.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #2174  
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    3,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortigen View Post
    I agree with you, but to play devil's advocate for a minute, when has taking the moral high ground actually helped a politician in America? Let's not forget who our president is.

    I would also be absolutely shocked if Franken is the only sitting Senator who sexually harassed women in his life. I'd say there are probably more closeted sex offenders in the Senate than voted for the latest GoP health bill. Very few of these people can afford to throw any stones, and it shows by their reactions to Moore, Franken, as well as Trump.
    I agree long-term a moral high ground makes very little difference, because voters have short attention spans. However at this very moment with the Moore situation fresh, front and centre, the Dems have much more to gain and not much to lose to throw everything at being "tough on sexual misconduct" and really going in on whats happening in Alabama.

    If Franken gets pushed, the Dems aren't going to lose that seat as its a stronghold. However the benefit of gaining Alabama can't be ignored and I think it would give them an even stronger argument when targeting Moore.

    I've actually been watching a bit of Fox recently to see how the mood is on that side and to be honest I've never seen them so fractured. This isn't the tunnel vision, single minded propaganda I'm used to seeing. The division in the GOP is playing out in their news channel, and thats what the masses see.

    The tax reform bill has all of their pundits pretty divided, and the Moore situation also, in my opinion, seems to have more presenters/pundits on the side of the women (and the traditional republicans) than on the side of Moore (and the Bannonites). There's an opportunity for the Dems to drive a wedge into this split. However, as soon as the Franken stuff came to light all of that focus shifted back onto hating the Dems and we know that is what unites the right more than anything else.

    Its a bit like every time Hilary *********** Clinton opens her mouth and you just shake your head because all she is doing is strengthening the opposition.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #2175  
    White Star Line is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10,079
    The opposition doesn't need to hear Hillary speak in order to strengthen their insanity. They are quite content to just make up their own reality when it comes to her. The pizza shop conspiracy theories being an example.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #2176  
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    9,867
    Net neutrality on the chopping block. Think the forum is bad after a loss? Just wait until the ISPs decide it's not worth their bandwidth.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #2177  
    lfcstlouis is online now Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    24,092
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortigen View Post
    Net neutrality on the chopping block. Think the forum is bad after a loss? Just wait until the ISPs decide it's not worth their bandwidth.
    Hope you guys don't own a Verizon phone. They own yahoo, and I bet they'll make you pay to use Google.

    I honestly don't see how they can do this without both sides losing their minds.

    Just tell everyone they will lose access to their porn, and this bill will die pretty quickly.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #2178  
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    9,867
    Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    Hope you guys don't own a Verizon phone. They own yahoo, and I bet they'll make you pay to use Google.

    I honestly don't see how they can do this without both sides losing their minds.

    Just tell everyone they will lose access to their porn, and this bill will die pretty quickly.
    Yup, we have Verizon. They're already *********** with my TV signal trying to get me to upgrade to their "quantum" nonsense. Can't wait to see what they'll do when Mr. Pai tells them 'here you go, boys, go nuts'.

    P.S. The fact that a former Verizon executive can be appointed as a head of the government agency charged with overseeing companies like Verizon is in itself mind boggling and should never, ever be allowed to happen.
    Last edited by Vortigen; Yesterday at 16:16.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #2179  
    lfcstlouis is online now Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    24,092
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortigen View Post
    Yup, we have Verizon. They're already *********** with my TV signal trying to get me to upgrade to their "quantum" nonsense. Can't wait to see what they'll do when Mr. Pai tells them 'here you go, boys, go nuts'.

    P.S. The fact that a former Verizon executive can be appointed as a head of the government agency charged with overseeing companies like Verizon is in itself mind boggling and should never, ever be allowed to happen.
    Smash and grab. Last chance, etc. etc...

    People in power see the shift coming so get what they can and hope it lasts. Power, wealth, equality, etc... Everything is corrupt and nothing matters anymore.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #2180  
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    3,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortigen View Post
    Net neutrality on the chopping block. Think the forum is bad after a loss? Just wait until the ISPs decide it's not worth their bandwidth.
    It'll be free to read Seasoned Travellers posts but pricey for everyone else's.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #2181  
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    9,867
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredb_7 View Post
    It'll be free to read Seasoned Travellers posts but pricey for everyone else's.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #2182  
    lfcstlouis is online now Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    24,092
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredb_7 View Post
    It'll be free to read Seasoned Travellers posts but pricey for everyone else's.
    They call it the Migs package. Coverage often dropped.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #2183  
    Acumen is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    46,181
    Gary Cohn apparently faked a poor phone connection get to off a phone call with Trump.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #2184  
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    9,867
    Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    They call it the Migs package. Coverage often dropped.
    I'd take that over the actual name the FCC has given this directive: "Restoring Internet Freedom". The absolute *********** height of hypocrisy.
    Last edited by Vortigen; Yesterday at 20:34.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •