Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 62 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Donald Trump POTUS...still...?

+Shriekback+ is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortigen View Post
    Think you misunderstood my question. You said Trump's statement was a "scare tactic". What was it supposed to scare North Korea into doing? And are threats really the most effective way of interacting with a nation who is hell bent on developing nuclear weapons because they feel threatened?
    Maybe North Korea are deliberately winding him up, because he is always likely to respond with a dramatic effect.

Trump is kind of making North Korea appear more powerful than they are.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by White Star Line View Post
    Because North Korea's threats are bluster and sabre-rattling. No one with even a slight degree of intelligence believes they are going to bomb anything, much less Guam, or LA, and the other US cities the American media are hysterically speculating over.

And because Trump is a moron who doesn't understand this, instead of diffusing their threats like a statesman would, he responds with idiotic rhetoric to appeal to his brain-dead base.
    As has been mentioned a number of times on this board (including the debates about Trident), nuclear weapons are used as a deterrent, or people like to think they are at the very least. NK is surrounded by countries and a world that doesn't agree with it, they simply want that same deterrent and the same feeling of security multiple other countries have. I don't really agree with the hypocrisy of certain countries being allowed to do things and when others want to do the same thing its unacceptable.

Like you say, it was all sabre rattling and bluster, NK have shown no signs of a desire to expand. Just leave them be.

Its Trump's own bluster and sabre-rattling that has escalated this thing, his ego comes before anything else and he is incapable of pragmatism.

lfcstlouis is online now Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Putin kicks out 775 US diplomats and statesmen from Russia in response to our sanctions on Russia.

Trump thanks Putin.

Seriously.... it really is hard to NOT believe that Putin has something over Trump with literally every single action Trump takes.

Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    Putin kicks out 775 US diplomats and statesmen from Russia in response to our sanctions on Russia.

Trump thanks Putin.

Seriously.... it really is hard to NOT believe that Putin has something over Trump with literally every single action Trump takes.
    In this case it could also just be a case of Trump's ego again. If he makes it sound as though thats what he wanted then he doesn't lose, another head of state hasn't got one over him.

Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post

Trump thanks Putin.

It's the whole "You think you've hurt me, but you actually did me a favor" thing. Putin saved him the trouble of having to fire these people himself. So, incredibly, stupid and childish.

Also, the number of diplomats just doesn't jive with me. I left my job with State a few weeks ago so can't readily confirm, but I'd be shocked if the US had 775 Americans in Russian consulates. That seems like a very high number to me from my experience.

It's the whole "You think you've hurt me, but you actually did me a favor" thing. Putin saved him the trouble of having to fire these people himself. So, incredibly, stupid and childish.

Also, the number of diplomats just doesn't jive with me. I left my job with State a few weeks ago so can't readily confirm, but I'd be shocked if the US had 775 Americans in Russian consulates. That seems like a very high number to me from my experience.
    The quote is diplomats and statesmen, so yeah, it does seem very high. How would this figure look with family, ancillary staff etc etc?
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    The quote is diplomats and statesmen, so yeah, it does seem very high. How would this figure look with family, ancillary staff etc etc?
    I think the figure probably includes ancillary staff many of whom tend to be locals.

TattooedByAgger is online now Academy prospect
    I think the figure probably includes ancillary staff many of whom tend to be locals.
    That is my understanding.

TattooedByAgger is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredb_7 View Post
    In this case it could also just be a case of Trump's ego again. If he makes it sound as though thats what he wanted then he doesn't lose, another head of state hasn't got one over him.
    Could be both. Clearly his ego plays a role in everything he does and says. But that doesn't discount the possibility Putin also has something over Trump.

Officials in Charlottesville in the US state of Virginia have declared a state of emergency ahead of a large march by white nationalists.

America is in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by White Star Line View Post
    America is in serious trouble.
    This is what happens when a major party candidate runs on a platform of hate and intolerance.

Trump tells the head office wallah in Guam

You have done a great job - prepare for all those tourists that are gonna flock there

Great marketing at no expense

Trump what are you like

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Officials in Charlottesville in the US state of Virginia have declared a state of emergency ahead of a large march by white nationalists.
    One has been killed and 19 injured when a car ran into the crowd at a rally opposing the far right.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40912509

Acumen is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    One has been killed and 19 injured when a car ran into the crowd at a rally opposing the far right.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40912509
    Just terrible. I've seen the fighting on the news. Horrible scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Acumen View Post
    Just terrible. I've seen the fighting on the news. Horrible scenes.
    Awful. And Trump's statement was a disgrace as well.

Unbelievable scenes, some really scary shots coming out - a lot eerily reminiscent of those black & white photographs of old KKK rallies, it just feels like we are taking a step backwards in time.

Acumen is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredb_7 View Post
    Unbelievable scenes, some really scary shots coming out - a lot eerily reminiscent of those black & white photographs of old KKK rallies, it just feels like we are taking a step backwards in time.
    I think we are regressing as a society. Charlottesville was just one visual representation of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Acumen View Post
    I think we are regressing as a society. Charlottesville was just one visual representation of it.
    Yep everything does seem to be regressing -
    the more the do gooders try to uniformalise us
    the more the people rebel - Charlottesville - Brexit and Football violence appearing again at Middlesbrough

Mad how bad people doing bad things can somehow be blamed on good people.

the more the people rebel - Charlottesville - Brexit and Football violence appearing again at Middlesbrough
    What a bizarre comment honestly, who on earth are these do gooders in your mind & how have they caused the three entirely different incidents you've plucked out as examples?

I'm sorry but I don't follow. Who is "uniformalisng" people and how is white supremacy a rebellion against that?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar Rock View Post
    Mad how bad people doing bad things can somehow be blamed on good people.
    Its not mad - you want conformity but you offer more choices, more freedom, less security - loyalty and respect thrown away, replaced with servitude and change

Its not mad - you want conformity but you offer more choices, more freedom, less security - loyalty and respect thrown away, replaced with servitude and change
    You don't know what I want.

I'm sorry but I don't follow. Who is "uniformalisng" people and how is white supremacy a rebellion against that?
    Check nationalistic over globalisation - check self sufficient over freedom of movement - check Brexit

If you don't understand why America has some 1600 extremist groups

They want - preservation of "traditional western civilisation" in a world that wants a multicultural, mixed society

Hope you understand now.....

As excuses go for hate and violence and killing thats up there at the top.
    What would you say if leftists had committed these acts?

Appalling.

Check nationalistic over globalisation - check self sufficient over freedom of movement - check Brexit

They want - preservation of "traditional western civilisation" in a world that wants a multicultural, mixed society

Is that code for "white" by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by ghyllred View Post
    Is that code for "white" by any chance?
    For some causes probably or at the very least inter-community tensions like we are seeing in certain states or cities. However, in others like Brexit, Scottish Independence and other regional concerns - globalisation and supra-regional (Rome) rule is being rejected in favour of localism and home rule is a significant factor.

There is no such thing as a traditional western civilization in a country of immigrants. There is, however, a history of WASP culture being shoved down everyone's throats.

And there is also a history of racial hatred and violence long before globalization was a thing.

What's happening in places like America and Britain has nothing to do with political ideology and all to do with prejudice bubbling up to the surface because the powers that be have allowed and even encouraged it.