Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 62 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 811 to 840 of 1840

Thread: Donald Trump POTUS...still...?

  1. #811  
    +Shriekback+ is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortigen View Post
    Think you misunderstood my question. You said Trump's statement was a "scare tactic". What was it supposed to scare North Korea into doing? And are threats really the most effective way of interacting with a nation who is hell bent on developing nuclear weapons because they feel threatened?
    Maybe North Korea are deliberately winding him up, because he is always likely to respond with a dramatic effect.

    Trump is kind of making North Korea appear more powerful than they are.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #812  
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    3,419
    Quote Originally Posted by White Star Line View Post
    Because North Korea's threats are bluster and sabre-rattling. No one with even a slight degree of intelligence believes they are going to bomb anything, much less Guam, or LA, and the other US cities the American media are hysterically speculating over.

    And because Trump is a moron who doesn't understand this, instead of diffusing their threats like a statesman would, he responds with idiotic rhetoric to appeal to his brain-dead base.
    As has been mentioned a number of times on this board (including the debates about Trident), nuclear weapons are used as a deterrent, or people like to think they are at the very least. NK is surrounded by countries and a world that doesn't agree with it, they simply want that same deterrent and the same feeling of security multiple other countries have. I don't really agree with the hypocrisy of certain countries being allowed to do things and when others want to do the same thing its unacceptable.

    Like you say, it was all sabre rattling and bluster, NK have shown no signs of a desire to expand. Just leave them be.

    Its Trump's own bluster and sabre-rattling that has escalated this thing, his ego comes before anything else and he is incapable of pragmatism.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #813  
    lfcstlouis is online now Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    23,682
    Putin kicks out 775 US diplomats and statesmen from Russia in response to our sanctions on Russia.

    Trump thanks Putin.

    Seriously.... it really is hard to NOT believe that Putin has something over Trump with literally every single action Trump takes.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #814  
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    3,419
    Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    Putin kicks out 775 US diplomats and statesmen from Russia in response to our sanctions on Russia.

    Trump thanks Putin.

    Seriously.... it really is hard to NOT believe that Putin has something over Trump with literally every single action Trump takes.
    In this case it could also just be a case of Trump's ego again. If he makes it sound as though thats what he wanted then he doesn't lose, another head of state hasn't got one over him.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #815  
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    9,728
    Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    Putin kicks out 775 US diplomats and statesmen from Russia in response to our sanctions on Russia.

    Trump thanks Putin.

    Seriously.... it really is hard to NOT believe that Putin has something over Trump with literally every single action Trump takes.
    It's the whole "You think you've hurt me, but you actually did me a favor" thing. Putin saved him the trouble of having to fire these people himself. So, incredibly, stupid and childish.

    Also, the number of diplomats just doesn't jive with me. I left my job with State a few weeks ago so can't readily confirm, but I'd be shocked if the US had 775 Americans in Russian consulates. That seems like a very high number to me from my experience.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #816  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortigen View Post
    It's the whole "You think you've hurt me, but you actually did me a favor" thing. Putin saved him the trouble of having to fire these people himself. So, incredibly, stupid and childish.

    Also, the number of diplomats just doesn't jive with me. I left my job with State a few weeks ago so can't readily confirm, but I'd be shocked if the US had 775 Americans in Russian consulates. That seems like a very high number to me from my experience.
    The quote is diplomats and statesmen, so yeah, it does seem very high. How would this figure look with family, ancillary staff etc etc?
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #817  
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    9,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    The quote is diplomats and statesmen, so yeah, it does seem very high. How would this figure look with family, ancillary staff etc etc?
    I think the figure probably includes ancillary staff many of whom tend to be locals.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #818  
    TattooedByAgger is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,810
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortigen View Post
    I think the figure probably includes ancillary staff many of whom tend to be locals.
    That is my understanding.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #819  
    TattooedByAgger is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,810
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredb_7 View Post
    In this case it could also just be a case of Trump's ego again. If he makes it sound as though thats what he wanted then he doesn't lose, another head of state hasn't got one over him.
    Could be both. Clearly his ego plays a role in everything he does and says. But that doesn't discount the possibility Putin also has something over Trump.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #820  
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    27,292
    Officials in Charlottesville in the US state of Virginia have declared a state of emergency ahead of a large march by white nationalists.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #821  
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    9,945
    America is in serious trouble.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #822  
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    9,728
    Quote Originally Posted by White Star Line View Post
    America is in serious trouble.
    This is what happens when a major party candidate runs on a platform of hate and intolerance.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #823  
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    27,292
    Trump tells the head office wallah in Guam

    You have done a great job - prepare for all those tourists that are gonna flock there

    Great marketing at no expense



    Trump what are you like
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #824  
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    17,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Officials in Charlottesville in the US state of Virginia have declared a state of emergency ahead of a large march by white nationalists.
    One has been killed and 19 injured when a car ran into the crowd at a rally opposing the far right.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40912509
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #825  
    Acumen is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    45,910
    Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    One has been killed and 19 injured when a car ran into the crowd at a rally opposing the far right.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40912509
    Just terrible. I've seen the fighting on the news. Horrible scenes.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #826  
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    9,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Acumen View Post
    Just terrible. I've seen the fighting on the news. Horrible scenes.
    Awful. And Trump's statement was a disgrace as well.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #827  
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    3,419
    Unbelievable scenes, some really scary shots coming out - a lot eerily reminiscent of those black & white photographs of old KKK rallies, it just feels like we are taking a step backwards in time.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #828  
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    3,419
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #829  
    Acumen is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    45,910
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredb_7 View Post
    Unbelievable scenes, some really scary shots coming out - a lot eerily reminiscent of those black & white photographs of old KKK rallies, it just feels like we are taking a step backwards in time.
    I think we are regressing as a society. Charlottesville was just one visual representation of it.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #830  
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    27,292
    Quote Originally Posted by Acumen View Post
    I think we are regressing as a society. Charlottesville was just one visual representation of it.
    Yep everything does seem to be regressing -
    the more the do gooders try to uniformalise us
    the more the people rebel - Charlottesville - Brexit and Football violence appearing again at Middlesbrough
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #831  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,112
    Mad how bad people doing bad things can somehow be blamed on good people.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #832  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    26,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Yep everything does seem to be regressing -
    the more the do gooders try to uniformalise us
    the more the people rebel - Charlottesville - Brexit and Football violence appearing again at Middlesbrough
    What a bizarre comment honestly, who on earth are these do gooders in your mind & how have they caused the three entirely different incidents you've plucked out as examples?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #833  
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    9,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Yep everything does seem to be regressing -
    the more the do gooders try to uniformalise us
    the more the people rebel - Charlottesville - Brexit and Football violence appearing again at Middlesbrough
    I'm sorry but I don't follow. Who is "uniformalisng" people and how is white supremacy a rebellion against that?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #834  
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    27,292
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar Rock View Post
    Mad how bad people doing bad things can somehow be blamed on good people.
    Its not mad - you want conformity but you offer more choices, more freedom, less security - loyalty and respect thrown away, replaced with servitude and change
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #835  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Its not mad - you want conformity but you offer more choices, more freedom, less security - loyalty and respect thrown away, replaced with servitude and change
    You don't know what I want.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #836  
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    27,292
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortigen View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't follow. Who is "uniformalisng" people and how is white supremacy a rebellion against that?
    Check nationalistic over globalisation - check self sufficient over freedom of movement - check Brexit

    If you don't understand why America has some 1600 extremist groups

    They want - preservation of "traditional western civilisation" in a world that wants a multicultural, mixed society

    Hope you understand now.....
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #837  
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    14,242
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Yep everything does seem to be regressing -
    the more the do gooders try to uniformalise us
    the more the people rebel - Charlottesville - Brexit and Football violence appearing again at Middlesbrough
    As excuses go for hate and violence and killing thats up there at the top.
    What would you say if leftists had committed these acts?

    Appalling.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #838  
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    14,242
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Check nationalistic over globalisation - check self sufficient over freedom of movement - check Brexit

    If you don't understand why America has some 1600 extremist groups

    They want - preservation of "traditional western civilisation" in a world that wants a multicultural, mixed society

    Hope you understand now.....
    Is that code for "white" by any chance?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #839  
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    17,696
    Quote Originally Posted by ghyllred View Post
    Is that code for "white" by any chance?
    For some causes probably or at the very least inter-community tensions like we are seeing in certain states or cities. However, in others like Brexit, Scottish Independence and other regional concerns - globalisation and supra-regional (Rome) rule is being rejected in favour of localism and home rule is a significant factor.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #840  
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    9,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Check nationalistic over globalisation - check self sufficient over freedom of movement - check Brexit

    If you don't understand why America has some 1600 extremist groups

    They want - preservation of "traditional western civilisation" in a world that wants a multicultural, mixed society

    Hope you understand now.....
    There is no such thing as a traditional western civilization in a country of immigrants. There is, however, a history of WASP culture being shoved down everyone's throats.

    And there is also a history of racial hatred and violence long before globalization was a thing.

    What's happening in places like America and Britain has nothing to do with political ideology and all to do with prejudice bubbling up to the surface because the powers that be have allowed and even encouraged it.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •