Notices
Closed Thread
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 420 of 535

Thread: Van runs over civilians outside Finsbury Park Mosque

  1. #391  
    lfcstlouis is offline Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    23,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Acumen View Post
    When I saw the reports(I live in the US). We got information as it came through. We got reports of it being investigated as terrorism. Once it was able to be confirmed it was. Same situation for the other attack that happened a few weeks ago. It took quite some time before it was confirmed as actual terrorism because there are still elements developing when the news first gets hold of the story.
    Well, the President didn't retweet a Drudge report, like he did with the Bridge terrorist attack.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #392  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,109
    Quote Originally Posted by angelYNWA View Post
    ok if that's how you want to play it.

    this is Miriam Webster's definition...



    and here is the Oxford dictionary...



    but please carry on showing yourself up.
    No actually the pedantic person who refers to two dictionaries because he doesn't have a relevant point is the one making an absolute show of himself.
    I'm the normal one.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #393  
    TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    36,095
    Quote Originally Posted by GrottonRed View Post
    Nice...Have a good one.
    I plan to it hasn't been easy fasting for 18 hours mate so took the time off work. I wanted to spend the last week and Eid with the family.
    ?
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #394  
    +Shriekback+ is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,827
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterPool Stark View Post
    So him shouting "I'm going to kill all Muslims" is still vague?
    Why is there always a closing statement from the attacker, "this is for Allah!" "I'm going to kill all Muslims"

    In this case it probably just a quick an easy way to say its terrorism, and a convenient way to take our attention from the tower fire.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #395  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,109
    Quote Originally Posted by angelYNWA View Post
    umm, you started by saying that midnight wasn't the middle of the night.

    you're playing a blinder here.
    You're the one making the bigger deal out of one comment about one word than the topic at hand - referencing two dictionaries no less... I think you should give up while you're behind.

    Oh but back to your point... 40% of fatal car accidents occur at night. So the assumption that this could/should just be another car accident based on the time of day is flawed.
    I'm the normal one.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #396  
    steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    10,589
    Quote Originally Posted by KOPGIRL1971 View Post
    I would have been able to understand his motives more, than a middle aged man committing such an atrocity.
    So you can empathise more with young extremists? Honestly have no idea what point you're trying to make. Why would you understand his motives more if he had been younger?
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #397  
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    29,080
    Quote Originally Posted by scousechrisj View Post
    No actually the pedantic person who refers to two dictionaries because he doesn't have a relevant point is the one making an absolute show of himself.
    I pointed out you were wrong and you doubled down on being right. I even used the 2 most respected English dictionaries in the world and yet you are still arguing the point.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #398  
    Gazza74 is offline LFCTV GO Football Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    99,065
    Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    All white British males should be out in the streets protesting that he doesn't represent them. If not it means they all must share his views.
    Of course.

    Be interesting to see if he is out saying these things like, i mean, all muslims are to blame for the other 3 attacks recently.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #399  
    TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    36,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza74 View Post
    Of course.

    Be interesting to see if he is out saying these things like, i mean, all muslims are to blame for the other 3 attacks recently.
    Pretty much the world we live in the EDL's eyes though mate. Plus this fella is gaining a bit of a following. Unfortunately as a Muslim living in London is not going to be easy for a while.
    ?
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #400  
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    8,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Shriekback View Post
    Why is there always a closing statement from the attacker, "this is for Allah!" "I'm going to kill all Muslims"

    In this case it probably just a quick an easy way to say its terrorism, and a convenient way to take our attention from the tower fire.
    That statement's where the fame is otherwise it's just another crime in busy little London. Blurt out the 'line' and become a 'Terrorist'! Call them all criminals I say and report it that way.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #401  
    TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    36,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Shriekback View Post
    Why is there always a closing statement from the attacker, "this is for Allah!" "I'm going to kill all Muslims"

    In this case it probably just a quick an easy way to say its terrorism, and a convenient way to take our attention from the tower fire.
    Agree its a perfect diversion from the Grenfell Tower tragedy.
    ?
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #402  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,109
    Quote Originally Posted by angelYNWA View Post
    I pointed out you were wrong and you doubled down on being right. I even used the 2 most respected English dictionaries in the world and yet you are still arguing the point.
    No, you realised your comments about accidents / media reporting etc was wrong - so thought you'd piggy back on a more pedantic topic of a word definition.

    By the way - 40% of fatal road accidents occur at night - so your assumption of this being an accident based on time of day was statistically incorrect. But you keep going with your dictionary if you like. Maybe you can use a thesaurus next. Wouldn't that be fun

    I'm going to leave it there. Your pedantic point shouldn't derail anything on the thread.
    I'm the normal one.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #403  
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    3,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Middle aged are also easy to snap
    I blame having kids.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #404  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Shriekback View Post
    Why is there always a closing statement from the attacker, "this is for Allah!" "I'm going to kill all Muslims"

    In this case it probably just a quick an easy way to say its terrorism, and a convenient way to take our attention from the tower fire.
    Are you implying he didn't say this, and it wasn't a terrorist attack?

    When you say "convenient", are you trying to imply the attack was staged in some way?
    I'm the normal one.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #405  
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    44,520
    Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    So you can empathise more with young extremists? Honestly have no idea what point you're trying to make. Why would you understand his motives more if he had been younger?
    Because the young generally act more rashly.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #406  
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    29,080
    Quote Originally Posted by scousechrisj View Post
    No, you realised your comments about accidents / media reporting etc was wrong - so thought you'd piggy back on a more pedantic topic of a word definition.

    By the way - 40% of fatal road accidents occur at night - so your assumption of this being an accident based on time of day was statistically incorrect. But you keep going with your dictionary if you like. Maybe you can use a thesaurus next. Wouldn't that be fun
    most road accidents are not fatal so again, you are cherry picking to try and serve your argument, and half of accidents that are fatal happen at night on rural roads

    http://highwaysmagazine.co.uk/rural-...us-in-britain/

    See, I can use facts as well.

    I didn't say it WAS a car accident, I said it COULD have been one caused by a number of issues associated with driving at night given it happened at around midnight, and until subsequent reports proved otherwise either from people at the scene or the police responding to it to say it wasn't an accident or medical emergency for the driver.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #407  
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    16,207
    Quote Originally Posted by DantesShadow View Post
    I blame having kids.
    Weed smoking seventeen year olds without a job, watching tv all night is a reason to go on a killing spree .
    One of my colleagues said that.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #408  
    steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    10,589
    Quote Originally Posted by KOPGIRL1971 View Post
    Because the young generally act more rashly.
    Most terrorist attacks aren't just done on a whim, they usually have some degree of planning and preparation behind them, the complete opposite of acting rashly.

    This guy, I presume, was probably a very unstable bigot and did do this rashly however, in some misguided attempt at 'revenge', but he could have been 25 or 55 I don't think it makes the slightest bit of difference. An unstable racist moron is an unstable racist moron.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #409  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,109
    Quote Originally Posted by angelYNWA View Post
    most road accidents are not fatal so again, you are cherry picking to try and serve your argument, and half of accidents that are fatal happen at night on rural roads

    http://highwaysmagazine.co.uk/rural-...us-in-britain/

    See, I can use facts as well.

    I didn't say it WAS a car accident, I said it COULD have been one caused by a number of issues associated with driving at night given it happened at around midnight, and until subsequent reports proved otherwise either from people at the scene or the police responding to it to say it wasn't an accident or medical emergency for the driver.
    But given there are also a high percentage of traffic accidents that occur in London during the day, the time of the incident is irrelevant, and the media labelling of the incident is also as irrelevant to the time of day.

    This could go back and forth, and this isn't a thread about traffic safety, so for the second time I am going to leave it there.
    I'm the normal one.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #410  
    +Shriekback+ is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,827
    Quote Originally Posted by scousechrisj View Post
    Are you implying he didn't say this, and it wasn't a terrorist attack?

    When you say "convenient", are you trying to imply the attack was staged in some way?
    Distrust of government isn't baseless cynicism. It's realism.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #411  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Shriekback View Post
    Distrust of government isn't baseless cynicism. It's realism.
    Distrust of government is most definitely realism.

    Thinking governments stage events such as 9/11, tower fires or attacks like last night is just plain tin foil hat time.
    I'm the normal one.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #412  
    Euro-77-78-81-84-05 is online now Ask him if the match is on TV
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    42,189
    All the media is labelling this as a terrorist attack. They always originally start with incident, they didn't do it just for this.

    Manchester - Explosion in Manchester, bomb blast in Manchester. Took around an hour before they used the words terrorism or suicide bomber.

    London Bridge - Dealing with an incident near London Bridge


    Trying to make things up, then trying to prove your point by topic titles on this forum is ridiculous. Oh the topic title is van runs over civilians, so the media are not using the word terrorism.

    The most recent new topic on a terrorist act before this one was for Manchester.

    Topic title - Manchester was Fatalities Confirmed at Manchester Arena.

    Again no use of the word terrorism. Should we use the selective reading to say the media didn't refer to that as a terrorist attack.
    YNWA
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #413  
    steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    10,589
    Quote Originally Posted by scousechrisj View Post
    Distrust of government is mot definitely realism.

    Thinking governments stage events such as 9/11, tower fires or attacks like last night is just plain tin foil hat time.
    I'm not gonna talk about 9/11...but I don't think anyone's implying the government staged this attack, more like they are going to seize this opportunity to deflect attention away from Grenfell.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #414  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Euro-77-78-81-84-05 View Post
    All the media is labelling this as a terrorist attack. They always originally start with incident, they didn't do it just for this.

    Manchester - Explosion in Manchester, bomb blast in Manchester. Took around an hour before they used the words terrorism or suicide bomber.

    London Bridge - Dealing with an incident near London Bridge


    Trying to make things up, then trying to prove your point by topic titles on this forum is ridiculous. Oh the topic title is van runs over civilians, so the media are not using the word terrorism.

    The most recent new topic on a terrorist act before this one was for Manchester.

    Topic title - Manchester was Fatalities Confirmed at Manchester Arena.

    Again no use of the word terrorism. Should we use the selective reading to say the media didn't refer to that as a terrorist attack.
    Who has mentioned topic titles? Whoever starts thread on a forum like this can do what they want.
    It is the different labels (or different levels of eagerness for certain labels) by the media that I have a problem with.
    I'm the normal one.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #415  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,109
    Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    I'm not gonna talk about 9/11...but I don't think anyone's implying the government staged this attack, more like they are going to seize this opportunity to deflect attention away from Grenfell.
    Politicising such an event is different to staging it... and sadly ALL politicians from both sides of the spectrum take those opportunities.
    I'm the normal one.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #416  
    Euro-77-78-81-84-05 is online now Ask him if the match is on TV
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    42,189
    Quote Originally Posted by scousechrisj View Post
    Who has mentioned topic titles
    The person who posted post 343
    YNWA
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #417  
    Liverdinner is online now Posts With His Faace
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    88,738
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach791 View Post
    You don't think people survived before capitalism? Or would you just die/go to prison because the capitalist system is hard to escape from whilst living in a capitalist country? A bit like being part of a religious family who would punish their children from not following the path of their religion?

    In some ways capitalism is the more powerful ideology. If you ever want to impose ideological beliefs you can do certain things and one of them is mast the system above criticism make it simply absolute by the fact it is there. This is the way things are you can't change that. Do not question God. I'm your parent you don't talk back.

    In the same way you have religious preachers delivering their material you have economists, Wall Street executives and politicians delivering capitalist. In fact all our media is capitalist. Paid for by adverts. I think you're starting to see why capitalism is an ideology.
    In the modern world if you don't want to live in a capitalist system there is very very little you can do. And somehow if you do, you condemn yourself to a terrible life.
    It's just a clear decision that it's not even really a choice.

    And no, not like that at all. If you're 18 and decide you don't want to be a Muslim in many countries across the world, you stop being a Muslim. Try not being a capitalist. Not that I am a capitalist or any other. I just live in the system around me rather than specifically ideologically supporting it. It wouldn't be what I'd theoretically choose maybe.

    What kind of parents did you have? Mine weren't like that. But even if they were, it's nothing to do with capitalism. Parents have been like that in each and every system.

    Not really, economists tell you about the mechanics of a system that you (and everyone else in the world) live in. They don't say you must believe in the said system.Of course our media is capitalist. Everyone in the world is. That's another definitive proof that it's not an ideology. Everyone in the world lives in this system. There are no alternatives.

    I'd agree that instilling or choosing to implement capitalism is ideological. But simply being born into an existing global economic system is not ideological.
    Last edited by Liverdinner; 19-6-17 at 19:55.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #418  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Euro-77-78-81-84-05 View Post
    The person who posted post 343
    Fair enough
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #419  
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    29,080
    Quote Originally Posted by scousechrisj View Post
    Distrust of government is most definitely realism.

    Thinking governments stage events such as 9/11, tower fires or attacks like last night is just plain tin foil hat time.
    or that some government and journalist cabal are deliberately withholding the true death count for political rather than accuracy reasons.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #420  
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    17,702
    Quote Originally Posted by LivapewlDivas View Post
    People need to understand motives.

    This was a middle aged man who was a father, do people really think he wanted to do this? He was driven to this...he felt like he had no choice, trapped in ones mind.

    Imagine being backed in the corner deprived, of everything you have...where do you go? These people want to wage war on all christians, on all Jews and all Shia muslims.

    When the US, Russia or whoever drop the bombs in Iraq and Syria,
    do we call this an act of terror?
    Agreed and some do call the dropping of bombs terrorism whilst others, presuming the pilot follow the rules of engagement, are targeting enemy combatants only.

    However this wasn't the case in Finsbury Park as I haven't heard of anyone holding something like an AK47 and shooting innocent bystanders who was targeted by the white van driven by the suspect. Just good Muslims providing assistance to someone who was in medical distress after following their religious tenets and worshipping Allah as a community.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •