Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 99 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Virgil Van Dijk. Head above the parapet.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert-Hall View Post
    The player I am surprised we have NOT gone for from our "feeder club" is Butland. After all it the position we most need to fill [left Back] and I was very impressed with his performance in the England squad recently.
    Bertrand?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by LovelyCushionedHeader View Post
    Don't you sass me Kal, I'm one of your only allies.

The reports that caused all the issues stated "Liverpool have to agree a fee with Southampton" yet "Liverpool have won the race for Van Dijk" was how it was reported.

The exact words and meaning aren't always crucial, the bigger picture is that this will do us no favours.

I'm convinced that we are awaiting official confirmation from the FA that there will be no action taken about the alleged 'tapping up'. Once received, we may make an official bid which may force Southampton's hand or a transfer request.

Quote Originally Posted by LovelyCushionedHeader View Post
    Don't you sass me Kal, I'm one of your only allies.

The reports that caused all the issues stated "Liverpool have to agree a fee with Southampton" yet "Liverpool have won the race for Van Dijk" was how it was reported.

The exact words and meaning aren't always crucial, the bigger picture is that this will do us no favours.

The reports themselves were not the real issue LCH, as you know these type of reports are commonplace for every club with a big player and as such we have to deal with them every time Coutinho plays for Brazil, it goes on all the time.
    The belief that VVD had expressed a preference to play for Klopp/Liverpool was the only issue Southampton had as it placed them in a weakened position, they went from being in a situation where they had been sitting back rubbing their hands at the prospect of us, Chelsea and City outbidding each other for their biggest asset and it all fell apart, them threatening to report us nullified that weakness and the only questions now are

(A) Do they want to sell at any price ?

(B) Will VVD try to force a sale and would this be the necessary excuse Southampton also need to publicly save face? IF the answer to A is emphatically NO (which I doubt) then any response from VVD would be futile.

Aldo said what every Liverpool supporter thinks and nothing more than what all football supporters in every club know probably has to happen and as such will not affect any long term plans Southampton's board may have.
    Aldo is a local passionate supporter and says exactly what he thinks, he is not a politician just saying what PC crap people like to hear, some of the posts I have read on these forums referring to him (not by you) are completely disrespectful.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBarnes79 View Post
    Bertrand?
    Yeah Bertrand sorry. Brains going, I am an O.A.P.! Anyway yes, a quality left back, just the job to balance up with Clyne at right back, who is also quality I reckon, just got over-used due to the thinness of the squad. We actually need to sign quality players for each of the back four positions in order to rotate and rest with our involvement in Europe next year. This closed season we need to stop buying for the future, we need to buy for NOW. This is possibly the most important closed season for the club in the last decade. We need to step up from "also-rans" and "Work in progress" mode to "Elite" in one foul sweep, THEN tinker and adjust in the future. For now, buy the best available.

Conte has asked the Chelsea board to get either Bonucci or Van Dijk. Given Chelsea's transfer policy of not signing players aged 30 or above, it seems like there is going to be big push to sign Van Dijk.

Think this thread might have significantly less than 100 pages to run unlike the last one.

Quote Originally Posted by pete752 View Post
    Conte has asked the Chelsea board to get either Bonucci or Van Dijk. Given Chelsea's transfer policy of not signing players aged 30 or above, it seems like there is going to be big push to sign Van Dijk.

Think this thread might have significantly less than 100 pages to run unlike the last one.
    I disagree, I believe we have a real advantage, who would you want to play under, Conte or Klopp. No contest and VVD has already been quoted as an affiliation with us.

JurgenBelieveUs is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Ottershaw View Post
    I think that the additional skills that VVD showed over past couple of seasons, taking the ball forward from a defensive situation, his pace, his covering and his goal threat all can add. My own view is he would play in the middle of a three. Matip and Lovren alongside. Can Hendo in front of them. Salah, Mane providing pace and width, Coutinho, Lallana and Firmino.
    Salah and Mane will not be playing wing-back any time soon.

I disagree, I believe we have a real advantage, who would you want to play under, Conte or Klopp. No contest and VVD has already been quoted as an affiliation with us.
    At no point did Van Dijk come out and profess an affiliation with us.

As for outspending rivals, Chelsea have prior form for that as opposed to us. Plus, we have ********** off Southampton to an extent that they might prefer to sell Chelsea just to spite us.

aylesbyred is online now Boot Room insider

As for outspending rivals, Chelsea have prior form for that as opposed to us. Plus, we have ********** off Southampton to an extent that they might prefer to sell Chelsea just to spite us.
    Only one problem with that is he wants to play for us not Chelsea which kinda puts a wee spanner in your argument

Spite is not a business term, never intermated any outspending rivals! I think you will find that it has been reported that VVD did say he would like to okay for LFC and did meet Klopp to discuss the move and this was the cause of the threat of reporting LFC fir tapping up.

Spite is not a business term, never intermated any outspending rivals! I think you will find that it has been reported that VVD did say he would like to okay for LFC and did meet Klopp to discuss the move and this was the cause of the threat of reporting LFC fir tapping up.
    Sky Italia reporting chelsea have made a 68m euros bid for Van Dijk. If true, let's test out your theory.

Time for Liverpool to match it.

Quote Originally Posted by Batteries View Post
    Time for Liverpool to match it.
    Not going to happen

Sky Italia reporting chelsea have made a 68m euros bid for Van Dijk. If true, let's test out your theory.
    If we are serious then we match it and get it done

Quote Originally Posted by bagaante View Post
    If we are serious then we match it and get it done
    We have backed ourselves into a corner where we look like idiots if we now match it so soon. Plus Southampton will just accept their bid and refuse ours. Not to mention he will need a transfer request to come to us so he is already better off at Chelsea

Southamton want 70mill from us and we will end up paying it imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam.L.F.C View Post
    Southamton want 70mill from us and we will end up paying it imo.
    Rather buy their scouts .
    Or Celtic players before they flourish in a crap league and we then look smart

Indeed it is not.

Southampton simply wanted to stop a deal being forced through before there was time to build up a proper market in their asset.
    They'll sell to whoever, for as much as the can get.

Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    Only one problem with that is he wants to play for us not Chelsea which kinda puts a wee spanner in your argument
    Players are fickle, it's not like he's on the kop every week with a scarf above his head. If he's told he can't join us and his option is the league champions he'll be denying anything to do with us and playing for Chelsea.

Chelsea driving the price up. I think we do need to assess is vvd worth that amount of money. That's 5 shy of Luis.

Quote Originally Posted by Defo-skitso View Post
    Chelsea driving the price up. I think we do need to assess is vvd worth that amount of money. That's 5 shy of Luis.
    Well assess we will I am sure. The 5 shy of Luis, yeah but time moves on and prices go up and let's face it Luis was gagging to go Barca.

I myself believe we should pull out all stops in order to sign VVD, he is the best. He offers is so much.

Quote Originally Posted by gedzredz View Post
    Players are fickle, it's not like he's on the kop every week with a scarf above his head. If he's told he can't join us and his option is the league champions he'll be denying anything to do with us and playing for Chelsea.

I am a old bird and can be cynical, but I want to believe that there are some genuine people in football. Call me old fashioned, but prefer to have positive belief.

Quote Originally Posted by BoDiddley View Post
    Indeed it is not.

Southampton simply wanted to stop a deal being forced through before there was time to build up a proper market in their asset.
    They'll sell to whoever, for as much as the can get.
    Exactly.

Knowing our luck, we will buy him for an exorbitant figure and he will pick up a long term injury in his first competitive match for us.
    My ship is coming in.

i just think if he wants this move and chelsea bid whatever and we eithe rmatch it or go above that then we get him.

but do we go that high for a CB ? i don't know
    Eagle Face Moron

Ganymede is online now Prefers one thread per page
    Why is it no contest?

For a defender, Conte is probably better to play for.

robbieflowerpot is offline Academy prospect
    We could bid 70m which would be monumental for us but Chelsea can always bid more and think nothing of it.

I am a old bird and can be cynical, but I want to believe that there are some genuine people in football. Call me old fashioned, but prefer to have positive belief.
    What's genuine or not about the situation? We didn't even hear how VVD felt from him, it was some garbled nonsense that we leaked to the press patting ourselves on the back.

I have no doubt he won't give us a second thought if he's lining up in Chelsea colours in August.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganymede View Post
    Why is it no contest?

For a defender, Conte is probably better to play for.
    Well for the record I like Conte but right of today it's no a contest for me as Conte is not committed to Chelski, and Abromovich is not exactly a stable owner when it comes to managers. Klopp on the other hand is a more stable and also is a wonderful charismatic manager, I mean who would not want to play for Klopp? Anyway is just an opinion, not a fact.