Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 99 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Virgil Van Dijk. Head above the parapet.

1. #1 Default Virgil Van Dijk. Head above the parapet. 
    Well let's start again, we want this guy as he appears to be a great solution to our back line up. Window opens July 1st and I fully expect us to name a bid for him. Interest is definitely an option now that the dust has settled down some.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Woot thread two, the sign or a real saga

Personally I still have doubts over if it will happen, it's down to the player kicking up a fuss, if he does that then perhaps fsg will back klopp for his number one cb target, the problem I have is if we miss out and target someone far inferior, which is why I hope so much despite the potential 60 million plus fee we get Virgil in

Come on Virgil. Bang in a transfer request and get the ball rolling now we are nearly done on salah deal

He is ours.

Trussssssssssssssst me, said the South African snake.

The guy just looks like a superstar.

He will be Klopps favourite player if we sign him.

I think we will negotiate a deal with Southampton which will be in the region of 55mill rising to 65mill in add ons. I would be surprised if we go any higher then that.

Vandijk will become a Liverpool player I have no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam.L.F.C View Post

I think we will negotiate a deal with Southampton which will be in the region of 55mill rising to 65mill in add ons. I would be surprised if we go any higher then that.

And if he doesn't sign?
    My ship is coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam.L.F.C View Post

If a bid for Napoli's Kalidou Koulibaly is true, does that not mean we've moved on from VVD? I hope not. He's a player I want more than any other this summer.

We need this guy, or someone of his ilk, far more than a Salah (not saying no to Salah, just to be clear).

Our biggest weakness is our fragility at the back. If we can combine defensive solidity with our already great attacking strengths we will be title contenders.

Quote Originally Posted by danm77 View Post
    We need this guy, or someone of his ilk, far more than a Salah (not saying no to Salah, just to be clear).

Our biggest weakness is our fragility at the back. If we can combine defensive solidity with our already great attacking strengths we will be title contenders.
    Just to play devils advocate, but our "settled" back line of Lovren and Matip only conceded 5 goals in our last 10 games of the season.....

(note: I'm not in any way poo-pooing the idea of signing VVD....just worth throwing it out there )

lonewolf kal is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Scazman View Post
    Just to play devils advocate, but our "settled" back line of Lovren and Matip only conceded 5 goals in our last 10 games of the season.....

(note: I'm not in any way poo-pooing the idea of signing VVD....just worth throwing it out there )
    good point and oft overlooked in the fume. the biggest issue was not having them as a pair for 2/3 of the campaign. if vvd is the more dominant and fitter defender than he should bring a lot more composure irrespective of who is paired with him and therein lies the bonus.

I think that the additional skills that VVD showed over past couple of seasons, taking the ball forward from a defensive situation, his pace, his covering and his goal threat all can add. My own view is he would play in the middle of a three. Matip and Lovren alongside. Can Hendo in front of them. Salah, Mane providing pace and width, Coutinho, Lallana and Firmino.

Good point, however over the course of the season there are too many instances of us folding under the pressure of an aerial bombardment, or a set piece.

I personally think we also need a better sitting midfield player in addition to a strong centre back.

LovelyCushionedHeader is online now Academy prospect
    Seems like we were begin to take baby steps on this again over the last weeks, then Aldo put on spiked boots and stomped around everywhere.

I'm sure Southampton are chuffed to see a 'Liverpool ambassador' (let's face it official or not) he is, telling VVD to go on strike.

Lovren and Matip together for a run looked good, but then a solid partnership that never plays together is the same as a leaky partnership.

Alpha Papa is offline Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by LovelyCushionedHeader View Post
    Seems like we were begin to take baby steps on this again over the last weeks, then Aldo put on spiked boots and stomped around everywhere.

I'm sure Southampton are chuffed to see a 'Liverpool ambassador' (let's face it official or not) he is, telling VVD to go on strike.
    Yeah, and unless the quotes were taken out of context, what a ******** thing to say anyway.

Lovren and Matip together for a run looked good, but then a solid partnership that never plays together is the same as a leaky partnership.
    True that. Besides, I think Lovren has a mistake in him and has a tendency to hoof it when he shouldn't.

there was already talk of VVD going on strike, lets be honest if it wasn't plastered all over some rag no one would care
    Eagle Face Moron

I think Matip and Lovren are a decent p/ship tbf.

The issue is neither of them have proven to be reliable in terms of fitness (especially Lovren over his LFC career) and Lovren always seems to have a "Crystal Palace" performance in him.

We need a top-class, reliable CB to partner either one of these two, preferably Matip imo.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBarnes79 View Post

The issue is neither of them have proven to be reliable in terms of fitness (especially Lovren over his LFC career) and Lovren always seems to have a "Crystal Palace" performance in him.

We need a top-class, reliable CB to partner either one of these two, preferably Matip imo.
    Yup

To be honest you need 3 good CBs anyway

Having Lucas and Klavan step in (no offense intended at Lucas - it's not his position) just isn't good enough

Yup

To be honest you need 3 good CBs anyway

Having Lucas and Klavan step in (no offense intended at Lucas - it's not his position) just isn't good enough
    This is the issue and due to the fitness issues of Matip/Lovren, Klavan and Lucas stepped in far too may times.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyMc9 View Post
    there was already talk of VVD going on strike, lets be honest if it wasn't plastered all over some rag no one would care
    Yeah but stuff being "plastered all over some rag(s)" is why we had to *********** apologise and "end our interest"

robbieflowerpot is offline Academy prospect
    We'll apologise later for Aldo.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Papa View Post
    Yeah, and unless the quotes were taken out of context, what a ******** thing to say anyway.
    They were. Talksport is just ****-stirring.

Yeah but stuff being "plastered all over some rag(s)" is why we had to *********** apologise and "end our interest"
    maybe, if that is what was said, or is it again someone reading a tweet cause they are too lazy to read anything longer than 140 words and made an ill informed assumption.

these are the actual quotes. doesn't sound like he has said anything out of order there and nothing more or less than any journalist over the last week..

"Tapping up goes on all the time in the game and even if Liverpool went a bit far in their pursuit of Van Dijk before they spoke to Southampton, I don’t believe this transfer story is dead in the water," Aldo told us.

"Van Dijk needs to make the next move and I reckon he will tell Southampton that he wants out and he wants to go to Liverpool.

"Players and their agents hold all the power these days and if he says he won’t kick another ball for Southampton and demands a move, it will happen.

"I don’t like the way the game has gone in some ways and players can hold clubs to ransom if they want a move and big money offers are coming in, but that is the way of the world now.

http://www.sundayworld.com/sport/soc...-john-aldridge

Quote Originally Posted by Beige View Post
    They were. Talksport is just ****-stirring.
    aha, the old clickbait or call us routine - people still fall for that and believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf kal View Post
    maybe, if that is what was said, or is it again someone reading a tweet cause they are too lazy to read anything longer than 140 words and made an ill informed assumption.

these are the actual quotes. doesn't sound like he has said anything out of order there and nothing more or less than any journalist over the last week..

"Tapping up goes on all the time in the game and even if Liverpool went a bit far in their pursuit of Van Dijk before they spoke to Southampton, I don’t believe this transfer story is dead in the water," Aldo told us.

"Van Dijk needs to make the next move and I reckon he will tell Southampton that he wants out and he wants to go to Liverpool.

"Players and their agents hold all the power these days and if he says he won’t kick another ball for Southampton and demands a move, it will happen.

"I don’t like the way the game has gone in some ways and players can hold clubs to ransom if they want a move and big money offers are coming in, but that is the way of the world now.

http://www.sundayworld.com/sport/soc...-john-aldridge
    Don't you sass me Kal, I'm one of your only allies.

The reports that caused all the issues stated "Liverpool have to agree a fee with Southampton" yet "Liverpool have won the race for Van Dijk" was how it was reported.

The exact words and meaning aren't always crucial, the bigger picture is that this will do us no favours.

Joyce is still saying we could face a tapping up probe.

Sick of this now.
    YNWA

aylesbyred is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBarnes79 View Post

Decent isn't good enough for me and a big bold centre half like VVD would add confidence
    dont look back in anger.

The player I am surprised we have NOT gone for from our "feeder club" is Butland. After all it the position we most need to fill [left Back] and I was very impressed with his performance in the England squad recently.

Don't you sass me Kal, I'm one of your only allies.

The reports that caused all the issues stated "Liverpool have to agree a fee with Southampton" yet "Liverpool have won the race for Van Dijk" was how it was reported.

The exact words and meaning aren't always crucial, the bigger picture is that this will do us no favours.
    wasn't sassing just commenting. the point being aldo never said it. nothing he said was untoward or will stop any likely pursuit of vvd.

sorry, i just find it quite incredulous people can be so stupid to only believe a headline or a tweet and take it as gospel, or anything from talksport for that matter. we of all fans should know how the media like to twist things and yet just can't wait to find a reason to have a pop at the club or ex players...

Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    Decent isn't good enough for me and a big bold centre half like VVD would add confidence
    If we have designs on the PL title and we should have, then i agree with you.