Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 133

Thread: Sky Sports to replace numbered channels with sport specific channels, probably price drop

  1. #31  
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    439
    Who thinks that there will be a time when all professional matches from all leagues will be televised at 3pm on a Saturday and Sky and and the clubs will share the subscriptions between themselves 50/50. The tv tickets won't go on sale until the stadium tickets are sold out.

    I think it will come and I also think that a way to allay the concerns of the smaller clubs the matches in the top two tiers will move to a Sunday and the lower tiers will remain on a saturday and will be televised with a smaller tv pot reflecting the interest.

    Thats my take on the future of British televised football.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #32  
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    6,052
    Quote Originally Posted by Gegenpressing View Post
    But if sky are paying the pl to show our games, why would we (I'm assuming LFC owns LFC TV) pay that money, just to have exclusive access on our channel.
    This is all because the Premier league have collective bargaining. So SKY have to negotiate for everything in one go. If LFC had control of their own destiny they would build a permanent TV setup at Anfield and broadcast over their SKY TV channel and the Internet and only have to pay for channel 429 to SKY and the running of the service. Rest would be profit and they could sell to foreign TV companies and get all the loot for themselves. It's the longterm dream of FSG and every other owner of a big club.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #33  
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,181
    Quote Originally Posted by BullishBull View Post
    I think they are introducing these measures in fear of losing their customers and also trying to gain back the ones that they have already lost. Sky wouldn't introduce these changes if everything was rosy.
    From what I can gather it looks like a typical move by a supplier, putting out a change to make it look a better deal for viewers, when in reality it may be a move to increase revenue. The number of SkySport subscribers is less than 10% of total connected. Figures released by Sky indicate viewing figures for SkySport are around 1 million, one has to extrapolate these viewing figures which are so open to interpretation. So giving the benefit of the doubt and assume about 1 million subscribers, but in fact could be much lower, but unlikely to be more.
    The impact of streaming of indivial sports games is not such a major issue for Sky unless they believe it would increase overall number of subscribers, well given that any actions taken in the Sky Sports sector can only impact of 10% of their customers I believe they are more interested in tinkering with the revenue stream and attempt to increase their revenue stream from Sports fans. Anyway all we can do is wait and see how exactly it's going to effect us fans.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #34  
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,181
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgher View Post
    This is all because the Premier league have collective bargaining. So SKY have to negotiate for everything in one go. If LFC had control of their own destiny they would build a permanent TV setup at Anfield and broadcast over their SKY TV channel and the Internet and only have to pay for channel 429 to SKY and the running of the service. Rest would be profit and they could sell to foreign TV companies and get all the loot for themselves. It's the longterm dream of FSG and every other owner of a big club.
    The idea of the clubs having control over their TV revenue has been around fir many years. The Premier League has voted against this sort of idea. The elite clubs would profit more at the expense of the others, it requires the others to vote, so it's the age old situation, Turkeys being asked to vote fir Christmas. I can recall a discussion, even more but not admitted, was held regarding a super league being formed across Europe. Wow, Real Madrid, against Manure, Barca vs Chelsea, PSG vs LFC, high level games being played weekly rather than just in CL. Very attractive potential for pay per view games. Imense revenue earners. Anyway not going to happen, certainly not in my life time and I hope to be about for some time yet.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #35  
    BullishBull is online now Specialist in bull!
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    956
    Why don't they just **** Sky off and all have their own TV channels, but allow the premier league to distribute the money exactly how it is now, it would be the same yet we would still get to watch every single game we wanted. Probably a ridiculous idea from a football clubs point of view as they wouldn't want their money going to clubs like Stoke but from a fans point of view it would be great.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #36  
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    15,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgher View Post
    I just wrote elsewhere how I really want to watch LFC games. I don't want football. Watching chelski v Bournemouth has no interest for me. Maybe that will come and LFC will instantly be much richer.
    this. i would be happy to pay a fee to watch every liverpool game on tv
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #37  
    Red-And-Proud is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    36,970
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgher View Post
    I just wrote elsewhere how I really want to watch LFC games. I don't want football. Watching chelski v Bournemouth has no interest for me. Maybe that will come and LFC will instantly be much richer.
    I am the same mate.
    Klopps beard twin
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #38  
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    6,052
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Ottershaw View Post
    The idea of the clubs having control over their TV revenue has been around fir many years. The Premier League has voted against this sort of idea. The elite clubs would profit more at the expense of the others, it requires the others to vote, so it's the age old situation, Turkeys being asked to vote fir Christmas. I can recall a discussion, even more but not admitted, was held regarding a super league being formed across Europe. Wow, Real Madrid, against Manure, Barca vs Chelsea, PSG vs LFC, high level games being played weekly rather than just in CL. Very attractive potential for pay per view games. Imense revenue earners. Anyway not going to happen, certainly not in my life time and I hope to be about for some time yet.
    Firstly I hope you're around a lot longer The world has changed a lot in recent years fuelled by the Internet and latterly all the happenings in social media. These owners are looking at the long game and we will hopefully in my lifetime see a way for me to subscribe legally to a service that shows LFC games live instead of being at the mercy of planners deciding if our game is on live and making me pay more than I would if I only saw LFC games. That's the dream. I don't give a **** about the health of Southampton and the rest of the minnows.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #39  
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    15,095
    Quote Originally Posted by BullishBull View Post
    Why don't they just **** Sky off and all have their own TV channels, but allow the premier league to distribute the money exactly how it is now, it would be the same yet we would still get to watch every single game we wanted. Probably a ridiculous idea from a football clubs point of view as they wouldn't want their money going to clubs like Stoke but from a fans point of view it would be great.
    we would have to put our own satellites then ?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #40  
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    6,052
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj147 View Post
    this. i would be happy to pay a fee to watch every liverpool game on tv
    Quote Originally Posted by Red-And-Proud View Post
    I am the same mate.
    Superstars.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #41  
    LovelyCushionedHeader is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    18,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgher View Post
    Well without being rude. You're wrong.

    All the big clubs across Europe either have it or want it.
    My opinion isn't wrong.

    I'm not denying there wouldn't be an interest I'm saying comparatively the TV companies and possibly leagues wouldn't go for it.

    Who is paying 10 a month for Bournemouth TV, how much are Sky paying for it, or how much are Bournemouth having to bid for their TV rights.

    A team like us as well we're always on the TV so I would rather a package where I could watch Spanish football and other big games, as opposed to just ours and risk having to find a stream for the 8 or 9 non-televised games.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #42  
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    6,052
    Quote Originally Posted by LovelyCushionedHeader View Post
    My opinion isn't wrong.

    I'm not denying there wouldn't be an interest I'm saying comparatively the TV companies and possibly leagues wouldn't go for it.

    Who is paying 10 a month for Bournemouth TV, how much are Sky paying for it, or how much are Bournemouth having to bid for their TV rights.

    A team like us as well we're always on the TV so I would rather a package where I could watch Spanish football and other big games, as opposed to just ours and risk having to find a stream for the 8 or 9 non-televised games.
    You said I quote "it wouldn't work" The TV companies and our league would be against it. They are and the TV companies would always be against it.

    The leagues could be convinced if they thought the Euro super league ever became a risk to them. How do you think Barca and Madrid keep earning mega money from TV? They have better deals than we can get in the current form. And finally, you want to see other games. In that world you would get to pay for those singular games. Bournemouth vs Stoke would cost 1.50 and chelski vs Spurs would be 10.00. Means I would save myself 11.50 there as I wouldn't pay to watch them. I'd be paying LFC 15.00 a month and hoping the club spend the increase in revenue on new players.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #43  
    LovelyCushionedHeader is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    18,818
    Quote Originally Posted by BullishBull View Post
    Why don't they just **** Sky off and all have their own TV channels, but allow the premier league to distribute the money exactly how it is now, it would be the same yet we would still get to watch every single game we wanted. Probably a ridiculous idea from a football clubs point of view as they wouldn't want their money going to clubs like Stoke but from a fans point of view it would be great.
    So, as opposed to clubs baking millions from Sky, they should instead PAY billions to outbid sky?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #44  
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,181
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgher View Post
    You said I quote "it wouldn't work" The TV companies and our league would be against it. They are and the TV companies would always be against it.

    The leagues could be convinced if they thought the Euro super league ever became a risk to them. How do you think Barca and Madrid keep earning mega money from TV? They have better deals than we can get in the current form. And finally, you want to see other games. In that world you would get to pay for those singular games. Bournemouth vs Stoke would cost 1.50 and chelski vs Spurs would be 10.00. Means I would save myself 11.50 there as I wouldn't pay to watch them. I'd be paying LFC 15.00 a month and hoping the club spend the increase in revenue on new players.
    Be a perfect world then. We can live in hope, a long while too.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #45  
    LovelyCushionedHeader is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    18,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgher View Post
    You said I quote "it wouldn't work" The TV companies and our league would be against it. They are and the TV companies would always be against it.

    The leagues could be convinced if they thought the Euro super league ever became a risk to them. How do you think Barca and Madrid keep earning mega money from TV? They have better deals than we can get in the current form. And finally, you want to see other games. In that world you would get to pay for those singular games. Bournemouth vs Stoke would cost 1.50 and chelski vs Spurs would be 10.00. Means I would save myself 11.50 there as I wouldn't pay to watch them. I'd be paying LFC 15.00 a month and hoping the club spend the increase in revenue on new players.
    Not sure there would be much left over to buy players if they had to outbid SKY and BT for exclusive broadcast rights.

    In your theory then, 15 a month to just watch Liverpool games, let's say El Classico and maybe one other derby (North London, Manchester, Old Firm whatever interests that person) they'd end up paying 45 for what 7 games of football

    As opposed to the perhaps new proposal of 18 for two all football channels.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #46  
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    8,119
    Quote Originally Posted by LovelyCushionedHeader View Post
    Not sure there would be a sustainable way to do that, or any appetite for it in the future.
    Most football fans want to watch all different games not just their own team, never understood only wanting to watch your own team to be honest.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #47  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Baros--5 View Post
    Most football fans want to watch all different games not just their own team, never understood only wanting to watch your own team to be honest.
    Not sure about that, I know having kids has drastically curtailed my viewing time. When I was single I would watch any old crap sport if there was nothing on I wanted to specifically watch. These days I'm all on watching the match live.

    I'd definitely be interested in a minimal sports service just catering to LFC at a reduced rate if it was available. Having a bespoke service like this could be even more profitable for Sky, especially if they are hooking people in who wouldn't normally be customers anyway.
    Last edited by Eloader; 29-6-17 at 16:04.
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #48  
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    6,052
    Quote Originally Posted by LovelyCushionedHeader View Post
    Not sure there would be much left over to buy players if they had to outbid SKY and BT for exclusive broadcast rights.

    In your theory then, 15 a month to just watch Liverpool games, let's say El Classico and maybe one other derby (North London, Manchester, Old Firm whatever interests that person) they'd end up paying 45 for what 7 games of football

    As opposed to the perhaps new proposal of 18 for two all football channels.
    The only reason SKY and BT have these rights is because the premier league gives it to them. In my world when/if the league gives the clubs rights BACK to the clubs we wouldn't be bidding against SKY and BT. THEY would be bidding to LFC to host our games. A lot of profit for LFC is why owners want it.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #49  
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,181
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgher View Post
    The only reason SKY and BT have these rights is because the premier league gives it to them. In my world when/if the league gives the clubs rights BACK to the clubs we wouldn't be bidding against SKY and BT. THEY would be bidding to LFC to host our games. A lot of profit for LFC is why owners want it.

    The premier league is the clubs, each member is a shareholder for their time in the league. They collectively negotiate through this company to sell tv rights. They then distribute the TV money accordingly. The PL, us and the other 19 have determined not to show any live games on their channels. This is to ensure that the collective benefit from the TV rights payments.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #50  
    Euro-77-78-81-84-05 is online now Ask him if the match is on TV
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    41,810
    Quote Originally Posted by Baros--5 View Post
    Most football fans want to watch all different games not just their own team, never understood only wanting to watch your own team to be honest.
    As long as they don't want to watch different games instead of their team. Oh we are live, but we are only playing Stoke, West Brom etc I'll watch Barcelona v Real Madrid or Juventus v Milan instead.

    If people don't want to watch other games, even if it's not on the same time or even day as our game, then that is strange. If you watch just Liverpool and no other games, then you may as well not have Sky and just get off your arse and head to Anfield instead.
    YNWA
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #51  
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    6,052
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Ottershaw View Post
    The premier league is the clubs, each member is a shareholder for their time in the league. They collectively negotiate through this company to sell tv rights. They then distribute the TV money accordingly. The PL, us and the other 19 have determined not to show any live games on their channels. This is to ensure that the collective benefit from the TV rights payments.
    Yes. What I have been saying throughout this thread is the owners and fans like me would like to see the collective bargaining done away with and ownership reverting to each club. Man ure, us would be the main beneficiaries of the extra revenue. The losers would be the bottom eight and as I have said previously I don't give a flying **** about them as is normal for a tribal footy supporter.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #52  
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    15,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Euro-77-78-81-84-05 View Post
    As long as they don't want to watch different games instead of their team. Oh we are live, but we are only playing Stoke, West Brom etc I'll watch Barcelona v Real Madrid or Juventus v Milan instead.

    If people don't want to watch other games, even if it's not on the same time or even day as our game, then that is strange. If you watch just Liverpool and no other games, then you may as well not have Sky and just get off your arse and head to Anfield instead.
    you would rather watch barcelona or juventus . when liverpool are playing ? never in your life for me . mate
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #53  
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,185
    I think you're all looking at this wrong.

    TV is not the future. All these big TV rights packages will soon be dead.

    The future is something quite different indeed.

    Soon, when it gets to matchday, all our supporters will be instantly teleported into the stadium, to watch in comfort, from prime location, virtual seats.

    And this will most likely happen in the next 5-10 years.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #54  
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    15,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrren1 View Post
    I think you're all looking at this wrong.

    TV is not the future. All these big TV rights packages will soon be dead.

    The future is something quite different indeed.

    Soon, when it gets to matchday, all our supporters will be instantly teleported into the stadium, to watch in comfort, from prime location, virtual seats.

    And this will most likely happen in the next 5-10 years.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #55  
    lonewolf kal is online now Boot Room insider
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    67,522
    Quote Originally Posted by LovelyCushionedHeader View Post
    Exactly as I see it, a step.

    I don't think we're too far away from the likes of Netflix bidding for shows too and live streaming, what I think you can say after reading the second article in my op is that the days of a Sky Digital dish or the pub being your only options to watch football on tv are gone.
    good post and agree and hopefully will put to bed the tyrannical excess of sky dragging people into court over it.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #56  
    lonewolf kal is online now Boot Room insider
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    67,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Ottershaw View Post
    I have not got to grips with this impending change but one thing I believe is pretty certain, it will be more expensive to exactly what we have today. Sky are always looking how to increase their income. They are public company who trade on the fact they need to increase subs and revenue otherwise their shares fall. Eventually SKY will exit the stockmarket, not soon mind you but in the very long term.
    true, but coincidentally every time they have pushed the boat out on new deals there has been a round of cost cutting also..
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #57  
    lonewolf kal is online now Boot Room insider
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    67,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrren1 View Post
    I think you're all looking at this wrong.

    TV is not the future. All these big TV rights packages will soon be dead.

    The future is something quite different indeed.

    Soon, when it gets to matchday, all our supporters will be instantly teleported into the stadium, to watch in comfort, from prime location, virtual seats.

    And this will most likely happen in the next 5-10 years.
    its a possibility. wasn't there talk about that earlier in the year or even last year?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #58  
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,312
    Quote Originally Posted by LovelyCushionedHeader View Post
    Yes the lower leagues. The worry is that on a *********** day in November some of their fans may opt to stay in and watch Chelsea Newcastle at 3pm rather than their local side. Outside of the PL bubble those clubs rely on ticket sales.
    Back in the day, I would have understood this reasoning and would have probably agreed with it. However, with the increased TV coverage around the world, it is very easy to find a stream these days and watch the game live at 3pm.

    If a person can't be bothered then they won't go, they would find a stream easily. If they really supported a club with all their heart then they would go and see the game.

    Blaming TV is the easy way out for all these clubs, if they did more work to promote their brand and try get more fans then they would stand a better chance to improving all aspects of their clubs.

    I'm not sure about small clubs around where each of you live but here in NI, the club were I am from do very little to engage in the local community and they take they local community for granted as they think they will be supported by us locals, very naive.

    Personally, I don't think it will be long til the 3pm kick-off rule is gone. Many will probably be happy for that to happen but personally, I don't really care as it makes absolutely no difference to me now, there is always a stream somewhere online and I watch every Liverpool game at 3pm if it is on, even if I'm working.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #59  
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,927
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrren1 View Post
    I think you're all looking at this wrong.

    TV is not the future. All these big TV rights packages will soon be dead.

    The future is something quite different indeed.

    Soon, when it gets to matchday, all our supporters will be instantly teleported into the stadium, to watch in comfort, from prime location, virtual seats.

    And this will most likely happen in the next 5-10 years.
    Having used a VR to look at prerecorded footage i can see that if they could work out a way of broadcasting it live that would be a major step in how we view. Provided you don't suffer motion sickness mind
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #60  
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    15,095
    this happening on 18th july mmm what this mean? , hope not getting shafted for more money
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •