Notices
Closed Thread
Page 64 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,920 of 2996

Thread: Virgil Van Dijk Episode II - the rumour mill strikes back

MishMasch is offline First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Home_and_Away View Post
    I'm disappointed you use the word "ambition". Now more than ever, "ambition" equates to the owners splurging daft money on players that may or may not make the grade. This season has become silly season. Posters here are upset and frustrated that FSG has failed to land Keita. Apparantly the club offered over 60 million for a player that I doubt many had even hear of 12 months ago. Just plain silly. Silly money. And silly to be frustrated.

Do you think the current transfer prices are sustainable? If not, how long do you think they will last? Why spend 60 million on a player who's had one good year if next year he's available at 30 million for the same level of performance. Think about that.
    Unless the money being taken in by clubs for TV revenue diminishes significantly then logic would dictate that prices aren't going to suddenly drop. You'd hope they level off slightly but refusing to play the game might be a great point of principle but won't really help with on field matters.

Its a game of fine margins - we got into the top 4 last season by the skin of our teeth and the reward is a harder more competitive run of games next year. Last year I thought that come January we might struggle with fatigue and a few key injuries we'd be in trouble. Its the same this year but exasperated by the addition of CL. I think as things stand we look ill equipped to cope with a rigorous season and trying to achieve success on multiple fronts.

It's fine if you don't agree and that as things stand we have enough to cope with it all. There's no hysteria or delusions or demands.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Precisely.

The club may well have looked, and approached, the 20 best CBs in the world and had their approaches rebuffed for any one of a million different reasons. Does that mean the club is doing it wrong? Not being ambitious?

It seems somebody at LFC screwed up in the advances to van Dijk and thus a prime target has now had to be put to one side. That, and only that, can we be sure of. Everything else is hardly more than gossip and frustrated hysteria.
    The Pleasure Beach must have been busy that day ...

fredthecamel is offline First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterPoolStark View Post
    It's pretty much what Fred said with "pick any five top half cbs from any five top leagues". That really is 'Football Manager' stuff
    i gave you two who were viable cheap options at the start of the window

zouma and wimmer... both superiror to klavcan or gomez... both reasonably priced or avaiulahble on loan

in fact it really shouldnt be difficult finidng an upgrade on either

Quote Originally Posted by MishMasch View Post
    Unless the money being taken in by clubs for TV revenue diminishes significantly then logic would dictate that prices aren't going to suddenly drop. You'd hope they level off slightly but refusing to play the game might be a great point of principle but won't really help with on field matters.

Its a game of fine margins - we got into the top 4 last season by the skin of our teeth and the reward is a harder more competitive run of games next year. Last year I thought that come January we might struggle with fatigue and a few key injuries we'd be in trouble. Its the same this year but exasperated by the addition of CL. I think as things stand we look ill equipped to cope with a rigorous season and trying to achieve success on multiple fronts.

It's fine if you don't agree and that as things stand we have enough to cope with it all. There's no hysteria or delusions or demands.
    Dammit Mish CALM DOWN!!!!!

You're being hysterical man!!!!!

You're SOOOO SILLY!!!!!

*slaps face repeatedly*

Quote Originally Posted by MrDilkington View Post
    True, and nor we do know who we are looking at or talking to.
    No we don't and all will become apparent by the end of the window although the start of the season should be the real target.

Maybe we've done this summer, maybe we haven't. Personally I don't think we have enough, what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post

zouma and wimmer... both superiror to klavcan or gomez... both reasonably priced or avaiulahble on loan
    What does Klopp think about those two players ?

It's pretty much what Fred said with "pick any five top half cbs from any five top leagues". That really is 'Football Manager' stuff
    you asked me to name 5 players better than klavan at cb

i didnt suggest we go out and buy any five top half cbs from any of the top five leagues... but almost all will be superior to klavan and gomez

What does Klopp think about those two players ?
    how the **** should i know..he is happy with klavan and gomez apparently

he surely rates klavan and 3 appearances at cb gomez very highly to suggest one cannot name five cbs better than either

lovren matip wimmer zouma is for sure stronger than lovren matip klavan gomez

next window vvd signed the weakest sold

vvd matip wimmer zouma

i know this much

its not very difficult to name 5 cbs that would make our cb options stronger for the season

Quote Originally Posted by robertretford View Post
    He didn't say FSG he said LFC.
    So? My question to you was: how do you think FSG should/can show ambition?

FSG are, for all intent and purpose, the club since they provide the strategic direction and finance. It is they, and they alone, who "ambition" counts. Your ambition, my ambition, even Herr Klopp's ambition are irrelevant if it does not coincide with FSG's ambition. As only FSG's ambition gets played out - successfully or not.

The club has a whole should be looking to progress year on year and to do that it needs to ensure it has the requisite playing resources. Resources of the quantity and quality to be able to compete in the competitions they enter. We brought in Solanke, who may or my not be ready to play week in week out against the very best in the league and in Europe but he can provide us with depth that can be utilised in cups, from the bench and, at times, in the league.

He will help us going forward, he didn't cost the earth.
    See underlined.
    I agree and I believe that is what FSG also has as their "ambition". Do you think FSG are pursuing a different "ambition"?

My original point, respinding to the other poster, is that when fans here and elsewhere complain about a lack of "ambition", they are effectively saying that they do not see the owners spending enough of their own money to make that happen.

Zouma is unquestionably better than those two, I'd say better than Matip or Lovren as well. However that's the exact reason Chelsea wouldn't sell him to us, he's their future defensive fulcrum. Wimmer seems to be in Spurs' plans as well, maybe we could get him on a permanent deal at this point but I'm not so sure and he still has a lot to prove, at least for me.

As for taking them on loan. Thanks, but no. I don't want us to develop the promising youngsters for our rivals.

he surely rates klavan and 3 appearances at cb gomez very highly to suggest one cannot name five cbs better than either
    That's not what he said.

Stop making things up to fit your hysteria.

No we don't and all will become apparent by the end of the window although the start of the season should be the real target.

Maybe we've done this summer, maybe we haven't. Personally I don't think we have enough, what do you think?
    I dont think we have signed enough players to challenge on all fronts, there is still time left yet though.

It could have been a lot worse, the three players we did get are decent players that could all end up first team regulars.

I will be disappointed if we do not get a CB in but I would not be surprised, Klopp is not solely responsible for signing players.

Quote Originally Posted by YodainaSkoda View Post
    Zouma is unquestionably better than those two, I'd say better than Matip or Lovren as well. However that's the exact reason Chelsea wouldn't sell him to us, he's their future defensive fulcrum. Wimmer seems to be in Spurs' plans as well, maybe we could get him on a permanent deal at this point but I'm not so sure and he still has a lot to prove, at least for me.

As for taking them on loan. Thanks, but no. I don't want us to develop the promising youngsters for our rivals.
    e could have loaned him on top of keeping what we ve got and still been stronger for this cominjg season

how the **** should i know
    Exactly !

Give the man a chance.

I dont think we have signed enough players to challenge on all fronts, there is still time left yet though.

It could have been a lot worse, the three players we did get are decent players that could all end up first team regulars.

I will be disappointed if we do not get a CB in but I would not be surprised, Klopp is not solely responsible for signing players.
    but the buck stops with him surely... he is the one saying he happy with these 4 cbs for the coming season

i didnt suggest we go out and buy any five top half cbs from any of the top five leagues... but almost all will be superior to klavan and gomez
    You missed out the 'attainable' bit, the most important part.

Exactly !
    i know matip lovren klavan gomez are weaker options at cb than last seasons same 4 plus lucas

we needed to strengthen our backline options not weaken it

You missed out the 'attainable' bit, the most important part.
    he didnt mention attainable...

he mentioned directly quoted

"Look out there and tell me five that would make us stronger. Five. Then you win a prize. It's difficult how it is," Klopp has told reporters.
    "We have four. I don't think we need more. We cannot force the things and we would never get a centre back just because (of the sake of it).

but the buck stops with him surely... he is the one saying he happy with these 4 cbs for the coming season

Round and round we go, those remarks were blatantly made to boost the confidence of our current players, nothing more.

That's not what he said.

Stop making things up to fit your hysteria.
    "Look out there and tell me five that would make us stronger. Five. Then you win a prize. It's difficult how it is," Klopp has told reporters.
    "We have four. I don't think we need more. We cannot force the things and we would never get a centre back just because (of the sake of it).

that is his exact quote...

i didnt make anything up

he doesnt mention attainable , he doesnt mentioin first 11 cbs he says name 5 cbs that would make us stronger

stronger includes all 4 options at cb...

Quote Originally Posted by MishMasch View Post

How much extra TV money has already arrived in the LFC coffers and is available to be spent on new players' transfer fees and wages?

Not all the TV money is going to be spent on players. Some of it also has to subsidise ticket prices and so on. That's a discussion had elsewhere so I will not add to it here.

Whether I agree oir disgree is irrelevant. What Herr Klopp and FSG agree to is all that matters and for us fans to sit back and enjoy.

So? My question to you was: how do you think FSG should/can show ambition?

FSG are, for all intent and purpose, the club since they provide the strategic direction and finance. It is they, and they alone, who "ambition" counts. Your ambition, my ambition, even Herr Klopp's ambition are irrelevant if it does not coincide with FSG's ambition. As only FSG's ambition gets played out - successfully or not.

See underlined.
    I agree and I believe that is what FSG also has as their "ambition". Do you think FSG are pursuing a different "ambition"?

My original point, respinding to the other poster, is that when fans here and elsewhere complain about a lack of "ambition", they are effectively saying that they do not see the owners spending enough of their own money to make that happen.
    Which again is inaccurate and not what he said. He said LFC not FSG.

If FSG set aside 150 million for transfers and the manager decided not to spend it then FSG couldn't be accused of 'lacking ambition'.

I understand your stance on Klavan (I believe he's decent for 4th choice, he's nothing spectacular but doesn't moan about playing time, which is a really good thing) but what's your problem with Gomez?

The kid is 20 years old and spent the last season out injured. Before that he looked pretty promising at left back, even under Rodgers. I think his pre-season performances have shown promise as well at centre-back. Sure, I don't want to rely on him just yet when injuries hit the back line, but there's absolutely nothing wrong about him at this point. He's a talented young man in a position which is the hardest to play at such a tender age.

lfcstlouis is offline Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    When are we going to move on. This is embarrassing for us.

Round and round we go, those remarks were blatantly made to boost the confidence of our current players, nothing more.
    Also it came from a man whose native language is not english.

MishMasch is offline First team regular
    How much extra TV money has already arrived in the LFC coffers and is available to be spent on new players' transfer fees and wages?

Not all the TV money is going to be spent on players. Some of it also has to subsidise ticket prices and so on. That's a discussion had elsewhere so I will not add to it here.

Whether I agree oir disgree is irrelevant. What Herr Klopp and FSG agree to is all that matters and for us fans to sit back and enjoy.
    This is a circular discussion then. If whatever the club decides to do is interpreted as what is needed and what is required and there's no scope for more then there's no debate to be had.

that is his exact quote...
    Indeed. I read the same too.

Herr Klopp is interested in the naming of 5 players that will come in and do a better job than Matip-Lovren. He's NOT interested in wasting money on another 4th choice CB to displace Klavan. He was after van Dijk, I suggest, to replace Sakho. This is real world not fantasy footie manager.

Quote Originally Posted by MacFoley'1975 View Post
    No he was asking you. I am trying to think if they can realistically come here, that is my problem. Naming is easy, but I don't want to because they probably wouldn't come here. We know VvD has his heart set on coming here, that is one. The other four?
    i honestly dont know who,., people have mentiuone d manolas koulibaly tah jiminez howedes.. thos would be mostly first 11 standard centre backs ....

we could even search for a loan deal for a decent centre back... how can he trust gomez after such an injury he had....you d want some kind of cover just in case he suffers a recurrence... ings suffered one having had the same injury

e could have loaned him on top of keeping what we ve got and still been stronger for this cominjg season
    You mean 'maybe'. It's not given that Chelsea would have done that either.

Indeed. I read the same too.

Herr Klopp is interested in the naming of 5 players that will come in and do a better job than Matip-Lovren. He's NOT interested in wasting money on another 4th choice CB to displace Klavan. He was after van Dijk, I suggest, to replace Sakho. This is real world not fantasy footie manager.
    he said which would make us stronger.... he didnt mention who would automatically make the first 11 stronger... he said who would make us collectiovely stronger