Notices
Closed Thread
Page 74 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,220 of 2996

Thread: Virgil Van Dijk Episode II - the rumour mill strikes back

lfcstlouis is online now Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Gotta love the hot take of 'Where is the money' when we bid over 60m for Keita, were about to bid over 50m for VvD before we messed up, and paid over 36m for Salah.

But guuuuuuuuyyyysssss, where is the money.....?????
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by LFCLee99 View Post
    We hear Klopp in a press conference bigging up his centre backs , result of a (board meeting) ?..
    Klopp then went on to say that defender Moreno who is having a great pre-season ?
    Then Klopp goes off on one about who is better than our Centre Backs in the premier League ?
    I'll tell you myself the top 10 cubs in the P.L have much better defenders than us .

Although I don't blame Klopp Fenway have told him to make do with what he got , they must have for him to come out with that garbage to try to keep the casual fans amongst us happy although I doubt that will happen .
    FSG are not complying with there promise with the likes of UTD , City , Chelsea all doing good business , it breaks my heart that we've been f***ed over yet again by Yanks . You would think we're not in the C.L qualifying rounds why were not acting like a club who has serious content towards winning trophies , it's all GREED , GREED and more Greed from these Yanks .

Coutinho will go and I don't blame him like Suarez and Torres he'll go why lack of ambition from the owners and in the transfer market also we will lose the race to sign Van Dijk , well we're not even in the race now according to sources . Van Dijk who will Obviously be off to Chelsea because once he heard Chelsea were in for him he handed in a Transfer request when Liverpool were in for him he did no such thing just trained on his own .
    Don't be so sure ...

Klopp and FSG are on the same page FAR more than people think. The lack of spending and surprisingly humble window (if it stays the same) will have been a choice made by all of them.

lfcstlouis is online now Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Quote Originally Posted by Daikokujin View Post
    Did the mods merge this?
    Should have deleted.

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    Should have deleted.

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by livrule View Post
    Don't be so sure ...

Klopp and FSG are on the same page FAR more than people think. The lack of spending and surprisingly humble window (if it stays the same) will have been a choice made by all of them.
    Good. The owners and manager should be on the same page working together to meet common goals. Why would we want anything different?

Quote Originally Posted by davevietnam View Post
    The other fear of course is if Chelsea do want him would we be prepared to out bid them.
    I can't really work Chelsea out at the moment.

Their squad was light last season but with no Europe and few injuries they got away with it - yet all their business so far looks pretty much one in one out - Caballero, Rudiger, Bakayoko and Morata in; Begovic, Terry, Zouma, Ake and Matic out, Costa frozen out. Add a few other sales/loans (of players that mostly didn't feature much/at all last season but might have offered something this - Cuadrado, Atsu, Chalobah, Loftus-Cheek, Abraham, Solanke etc), plus Oscar in January, and they're comfortably in profit.

And the stories coming out now are that Conte didn't want to sell Matic, never mind to United. I bet he didn't. Matic and Costa were both really important players, the replacements have big boots to fill just to be as good never mind better, and they can't hang about.

I don't doubt the quality of their squad, but I really do question the depth. Are they suddenly going to start using some of their kids? I think they'll have to.

Apart from, potentially, VVD I'm not aware of them particularly looking at more signings/players.

Funny thing about Chelsea is I actually really like the approach - build a core of quality players good enough to start any given game, then supplement with a strong academy. I'm just surprised that the apparently free spending money no object Abramovic has gone that route. And so far they've not actually used the kids.

If VVD is adamant on joining us Chelsea, or another club, if nothing else, could quite easily purposely drive the price up.

Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    Should have deleted.
    There was a hell of a lot of crying in there...

+Shriekback+ is online now Academy prospect
    I reckon Chelsea aren't even interested in him now, Man City pulled out.

Its down to us to bid and sign him.
    Last edited by +Shriekback+; 8-8-17 at 15:07.

Quote Originally Posted by robertretford View Post
    If VVD is adamant on joining us Chelsea, or another club, if nothing else, could quite easily purposely drive the price up.
    I think the Chelsea owner has too much on his plate to play games. They'll either want him or no if VVD tells them he's not interested.

Quote Originally Posted by MishMasch View Post
    Pretty bold statement content from VVD.

Just makes me think how inadvisable signing that 6 year deal was, especially if it has no release clause or formal agreement about him being able to leave.

6 months down the line he's saying he started to think he needed to leave to fulfill his ambition
    Its all about the money, he was happy to sign a 6 year deal to get more money, and when Liverpool were interested he saw an opportunity for a pay rise again. He wasn't going to hand in a transfer request because it would have hit him in the pocket, but as soon as Southampton said they were going to dock him wages for not training it was miraculously the time to hand one in, since he was missing out anyway.

Its about as funny as when Neymar said he wasn't going to PSG for money, despite being paid 500k a week, net.

MishMasch is offline First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredb_7 View Post
    Its all about the money, he was happy to sign a 6 year deal to get more money, and when Liverpool were interested he saw an opportunity for a pay rise again. He wasn't going to hand in a transfer request because it would have hit him in the pocket, but as soon as Southampton said they were going to dock him wages for not training it was miraculously the time to hand one in, since he was missing out anyway.

Its about as funny as when Neymar said he wasn't going to PSG for money, despite being paid 500k a week, net.
    Of course, but you' have thought that VVD and his reps would have at the very least been 'hoping' a big move would come along in the not too distant future. Signing a new deal is fair enough for a pay rise, but given the length it seems almost negligent to have not anticipated a forward leap

Most footballers are mercenaries .....shame some fans cant see that , If Coutinho goes and LFC dont bring in VVD then i can only see problems on the pitch .

The circumstances were different when he signed that deal. Koeman was still at Southampton so maybe that played a big part? After Koeman left, perhaps playing under Puel and the other transfers in/out of the Club in the months that followed changed his mind? It's possible Southampton aren't the same team/project he signed that contract extension for? There's been a lot of talk of Chinese Investors taking over too, maybe he doesn't like that idea?

Quote Originally Posted by MishMasch View Post
    Of course, but you' have thought that VVD and his reps would have at the very least been 'hoping' a big move would come along in the not too distant future. Signing a new deal is fair enough for a pay rise, but given the length it seems almost negligent to have not anticipated a forward leap
    I only recently read that he sacked/changed his agent very shortly after signing that contract. Dunno if that's significant.

TheSoundLady is online now Optimistic Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Hope we get him, wonder if he'll end up at Chelsea.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPoolStark View Post
    The circumstances were different when he signed that deal. Koeman was still at Southampton so maybe that played a big part? After Koeman left, perhaps playing under Puel and the other transfers in/out of the Club in the months that followed changed his mind? It's possible Southampton aren't the same team/project he signed that contract extension for? There's been a lot of talk of Chinese Investors taking over too, maybe he doesn't like that idea?
    6 years is a very long time, you can't sign on for that length and expect things to stay the same for its entirety.

I'm surprised his reps didn't put a release clause trigger in there, but I imagine it went something along the lines of "if you want a release clause then we will reduce your weekly wage" and he said don't worry about it.

6 years is a very long time, you can't sign on for that length and expect things to stay the same for its entirety.

I'm surprised his reps didn't put a release clause trigger in there, but I imagine it went something along the lines of "if you want a release clause then we will reduce your weekly wage" and he said don't worry about it.
    maybe his agent ********** him? As Stuzza pointed out above, he changed his agent a few months later. Maybe he did say 'dw about it' to the release clause as he thought he'd be at Southampton with Koeman for another couple of years at least. Things changed so he changed his mind

MishMasch is offline First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    I only recently read that he sacked/changed his agent very shortly after signing that contract. Dunno if that's significant.
    Could well be. It would appear that had they been a bit more preemptive his current situation might not be quite as difficult.

So VVD requesting a transfer changes nothing - Southampton will block any and all attempts by us to get him

Their squad was light last season but with no Europe and few injuries they got away with it - yet all their business so far looks pretty much one in one out - Caballero, Rudiger, Bakayoko and Morata in; Begovic, Terry, Zouma, Ake and Matic out, Costa frozen out. Add a few other sales/loans (of players that mostly didn't feature much/at all last season but might have offered something this - Cuadrado, Atsu, Chalobah, Loftus-Cheek, Abraham, Solanke etc), plus Oscar in January, and they're comfortably in profit.

And the stories coming out now are that Conte didn't want to sell Matic, never mind to United. I bet he didn't. Matic and Costa were both really important players, the replacements have big boots to fill just to be as good never mind better, and they can't hang about.

I don't doubt the quality of their squad, but I really do question the depth. Are they suddenly going to start using some of their kids? I think they'll have to.

Apart from, potentially, VVD I'm not aware of them particularly looking at more signings/players.

Funny thing about Chelsea is I actually really like the approach - build a core of quality players good enough to start any given game, then supplement with a strong academy. I'm just surprised that the apparently free spending money no object Abramovic has gone that route. And so far they've not actually used the kids.
    But Chelsea hasn't really spent huge in awhile either.

They've made some great sales money wise more than anything else really.

Saints first response has been to reject the TR, I wonder what's next.

I'd think either:
    a combination of VVD pushing from his end plus suitors trying to convince them to take the money will see Saints concede defeat;
    or they stand firm and it probably gets very messy over the next 3 weeks possibly leading to PFA mediation;
    or VVD just sucks it up and goes back to work.

What's your money on?

Quote Originally Posted by canookiewookie View Post
    But Chelsea hasn't really spent huge in awhile either.

They've made some great sales money wise more than anything else really.
    I know, that's part of my point - if it was anyone but Roman you'd think they were being run on a really strict budget.

I'd think either:
    a combination of VVD pushing from his end plus suitors trying to convince them to take the money will see Saints concede defeat;
    or they stand firm and it probably gets very messy over the next 3 weeks possibly leading to PFA mediation;

What's your money on?
    I think he either signs with Chelsea or else crawls back through the supplicant flap.

Don't see saints doing business with us.

SouthernRob is online now Academy prospect

I'm just surprised that the apparently free spending money no object Abramovic has gone that route.
    it's almost like Abramovic is gearing up for an expensive divorce or something

I know, that's part of my point - if it was anyone but Roman you'd think they were being run on a really strict budget.
    Just going through his third divorce so maybe he's short a few bob.

Supposedly he spends a fortune on art now, so maybe he's finally getting bored with football. They've won everything, so the motivation could be gone.

Yes. It looks to me that for the past couple of seasons they've basically spent what they have sold.

Of course it helps when u have a very good squad and don't really need to upgrade as much as replacing whichever players move on. So like for like basically.

Quote Originally Posted by -Topper- View Post
    I think he either signs with Chelsea or else crawls back through the supplicant flap.

Don't see saints doing business with us.
    Nope. Plus we will NEVER pay what it would take to make Southampton sit up and consider it.

I'd think either:

What's your money on?
    VVD moves. Too much money involved I think.

Saints have to appear to stand strong but I think when the bids roll in they will be able to convince their fans selling him was and will be the best thing. So as long as they reinvest all the money back into the team.

SouthernRob is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by -Topper- View Post
    Just going through his third divorce so maybe he's short a few bob.

Supposedly he spends a fortune on art now, so maybe he's finally getting bored with football. They've won everything, so the motivation could be gone.
    3 divorces and 9 managers - with this complete lack of commitment, I can't see what the women and managers see in him!