Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: Virgil Van Dijk Episode II - the rumour mill strikes back

Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    Yeah, very much agree on Spurs.

I've had the same conversation with Coach and SouthernRob where they think Spurs have hit their ceiling as they won't be able to sign better players than they already have - I think almost the exact opposite, and that if they can keep that young team together there's still huge potential for growth. They don't need new signings to take them to the next level

The better the players understand the plan, and each other, and the better the manager knows his players and refines his plan, the more confidence they build from continued improvement - these can all add up to make a MASSIVE difference.
    Their best players, Kane and Alli, are only 23 and 21 respectively, and cost them almost nothing between them. They have plenty of time to improve, and they are already at a league leading level. Then they have quality like Eriksen and Son (also both still relatively young at 25) around them, a solid midfield, and a quality defence and 'keeper (probably the best in the league). Their manager is doing a superb job, if they keep hold of their best players there's no reason why they can't keep improving. I said before I can see them potentially winning the league this year (although I think the move to Wembley may affect them) and people laughed, but I think people round here seriously underestimate them.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by davevietnam View Post
    I am definitely a grumpy old sod and that doesn't annoy me, what does a bit is when people say hash tag this and hash tag that, to be honest I have no idea why they say it or what its meant to mean, not sure I want to either.
    I don't get it mate, I know my reaction is totally disproportionate but I just can't help myself, it grates.

Probably not a good idea to discuss such things on here though, you're just leaving yourself wide open #windup

I am definitely a grumpy old sod and that doesn't annoy me, what does a bit is when people say hash tag this and hash tag that, to be honest I have no idea why they say it or what its meant to mean, not sure I want to either.
    Further… why does the LFC Forum need to put # in front of the post number, at the right end of the red bar? It serves no purpose, surely.

TheDarknessIsCalling is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    Their best players, Kane and Alli, are only 23 and 21 respectively, and cost them almost nothing between them. They have plenty of time to improve, and they are already at a league leading level. Then they have quality like Eriksen and Son (also both still relatively young at 25) around them, a solid midfield, and a quality defence and 'keeper (probably the best in the league). Their manager is doing a superb job, if they keep hold of their best players there's no reason why they can't keep improving. I said before I can see them potentially winning the league this year (although I think the move to Wembley may affect them) and people laughed, but I think people round here seriously underestimate them.
    There's also the possibility Kane and others have gotten about as good as they can get, and whilst they may improve there's also the probability that other clubs will sign enough quality to outpace any rate of improvement.

Besides, how long do you think loyalty will last and remain untested to the very extreme, whilst spudz wait for players to improve and don't win any trophies....?

Reckon Levy more or less conceded spudz ain't gonna try and compete with the crazy spenders, but how exactly they hope to compete on the field if they won't compete off it (transfers) I'd love to hear.... Maybe he's getting excuses in early for them being the ones to drop out of the top 4, and if they do I reckon Kane's loyalty in particularly may become subject to a few choice bids. I do wonder if the mancs mightn't have been better off making a £75m-£100m for Harry Kane, or maybe even Delli Alli. spudz don't seem to be too resistant to bids in spite of the amount of money around, and nobbling your rivals for a top 4 spot makes perfect sense.

In fact I'd almost rather see us bidding big bucks for the likes of Kane and Delli Alli, even if speculative, than for Keita and VVD.
    People will believe what they want to believe

Yep, and at least a few of them specifically because Spurs don't spend like the rest.

Agree with all of that mate - and see a lot of the same things in us too.

Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    I don't get it mate, I know my reaction is totally disproportionate but I just can't help myself, it grates.

Probably not a good idea to discuss such things on here though, you're just leaving yourself wide open #windup
    It's not music, it's just NOISE

davevietnam is online now Academy prospect
    Last season LJOC did a poll on who would be PL Champions and I was the only person on here to pick Spurs, and for a while there they where in with a seriously good chance, it took a pretty strong Chelsea side to stop them anyway. This season I am not sure, its not the Wembley factor either [they for sure will have a far bigger say in the pitch and how its prepared if they are renting for the season, something they have not had for CL games], I just think we will be a bigger threat same as City as well so it will be tougher, top 4 for sure, but winners not quite.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    There's also the possibility Kane and others have gotten about as good as they can get, and whilst they may improve there's also the probability that other clubs will sign enough quality to outpace any rate of improvement.

Besides, how long do you think loyalty will last and remain untested to the very extreme, whilst spudz wait for players to improve and don't win any trophies....?

Reckon Levy more or less conceded spudz ain't gonna try and compete with the crazy spenders, but how exactly they hope to compete on the field if they won't compete off it (transfers) I'd love to hear.... Maybe he's getting excuses in early for them being the ones to drop out of the top 4, and if they do I reckon Kane's loyalty in particularly may become subject to a few choice bids. I do wonder if the mancs mightn't have been better off making a £75m-£100m for Harry Kane, or maybe even Delli Alli. spudz don't seem to be too resistant to bids in spite of the amount of money around, and nobbling your rivals for a top 4 spot makes perfect sense.

In fact I'd almost rather see us bidding big bucks for the likes of Kane and Delli Alli, even if speculative, than for Keita and VVD.
    Even if they don't improve (doubtful IMO, you honestly think we've seen the best of Alli at 21?), they are already up there with the very best in the league. And I think it's only a matter of time before they start winning trophies, and they have already put in some strong title challenges, and finished above much higher spending teams, including us. I honestly think they played the best football last year, they were blowing away teams constantly and were right up in the mix for the title to near the end, Chelsea just had that utterly relentless consistency which saw them get over the line.

And quite honestly, despite the massive spending, have any of the top teams really improved all that much (if at all)? Utd could potentially have lost Ibra and Rooney and got in Lukaku and Lindelof, that's maybe a slight improvement, but they finished 6th last year and they now have CL, is that really enough? Chelsea could end up basically swapping Costa and Matic for Bakayoko and Morata and adding Rudiger, again, perhaps a slight improvement, but it's certainly nothing drastic. Arsenal could end up basically swapping Sanchez for Lacazette, and were way behind Spurs already. City are perhaps the only ones to really improve their side on paper, but that still remains to be seen on the pitch.
    Last edited by steviewonder87; Today at 14:32.

Last season LJOC did a poll on who would be PL Champions and I was the only person on here to pick Spurs, and for a while there they where in with a seriously good chance, it took a pretty strong Chelsea side to stop them anyway. This season I am not sure, its not the Wembley factor either [they for sure will have a far bigger say in the pitch and how its prepared if they are renting for the season, something they have not had for CL games], I just think we will be a bigger threat same as City as well so it will be tougher, top 4 for sure, but winners not quite.
    I think the fact Pep, Mourinho and Conte are all into their second seasons should be to their benefit.

I think, like last season, you could make a decent case for/against any of the top 6 winning the league or missing out on top 4.

Let's sign Davinson Sanchez and we would be able to play the waiting game with Southampton.

Even if they don't improve (doubtful IMO, you honestly think we've seen the best of Alli at 21?), they are already up there with the very best in the league. And I think it's only a matter of time before they start winning trophies, and they have already put in some strong title challenges, and finished above much higher spending teams, including us. I honestly think they played the best football last year, they were blowing away teams constantly and were right up in the mix for the title to near the end, Chelsea just had that utterly relentless consistency which saw them get over the line.

And quite honestly, despite the massive spending, have any of the top teams really improved all that much (if at all)? Utd could potentially have lost Ibra and Rooney and got in Lukaku and Lindelof, that's maybe a slight improvement, but they finished 6th last year and they now have CL, is that really enough? Chelsea could end up basically swapping Costa and Matic for Bakayoko and Morata and adding Rudiger, again, perhaps a slight improvement, but it's certainly nothing drastic. Arsenal could end up basically swapping Sanchez for Lacazette, and were way behind Spurs already. City are perhaps the only ones to really improve their side on paper, but that still remains to be seen on the pitch.
    I think the fact that they were the highest scorers AND had the meanest defence is a clear reflection of my opinion that they have the best balanced team in the league. They've got top quality in both boxes and a really strong midfield. And all of them at a good age too.