Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 349

Thread: Alien Life

  1. #1 Default Alien Life 
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,597
    I used to think that life was everywhere in the universe. I mean the universe is a big place and the chances of life elsewhere are massive, or are they? We have only one planet to go by. For all we know, life could be totally unique to earth. Probabilities don't count when you have only one planet to judge by. MUST there be life elsewhere? Not really. We could be it. The only life. What a scary thought. It's us, just us in a desolate, barren universe.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #2  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,597
    This is a continuation of the movie thread. It should never have been in the movie thread but I'm like that.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #3  
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    234
    Have you ever seen them or been abducted vonStauffenberg?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #4  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,597
    Quote Originally Posted by IDREAMOFGINI View Post
    Have you ever seen them or been abducted vonStauffenberg?
    No. I don't believe aliens are visiting earth. I'm unsure as to whether there is any life outside of earth.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #5  
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by vonStauffenberg View Post
    No. I don't believe aliens are visiting earth. I'm unsure as to whether there is any life outside of earth.
    You will never know unless you try to contact them or ask people who have.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #6  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,597
    Quote Originally Posted by IDREAMOFGINI View Post
    You will never know unless you try to contact them or ask people who have.
    That's true. I just don't believe there is any credible evidence that we've ever been visited or any evidence life exists elsewhere.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #7  
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    7,550
    I think life is quite abundant in the universe, simply based on how seemingly easily it arose on Earth and the sheer scale of the universe. It's impossible to fully comprehend just how large it is, just because we haven't detected anything (supposedly) in our immediate vicinity does not mean it's not out there. There could be life on Europa, Enceladus, Titan, or even prehistoric life on Mars that we haven't uncovered yet. I could quite easily imagine us finding simple organisms like bacteria and such within our own solar system in the (relatively) near future.

    Intelligent life is whole different ball game though. Out of all the species on the planet only one has become what we would term 'intelligent', why is that? In any case, if you go back a mere 200 years, what evidence would there be (looking from the outside) of us? Let's say aliens discovered our planet from afar and decided it might be a habitable planet, how would they detect us without physically coming down here to look? There were no radio signals, satellites, electric lighting systems, etc back them, we'd be practically invisible. We've only begun looking for life in around the last 50-60 years or so, in terms of the age of the universe that is practically nothing. As Neil deGrasse Tyson put it, saying there's no life in the universe is like someone taking a cup and dipping it into the ocean, and then saying 'well there's no fish in the sea'.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #8  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,597
    Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    I think life is quite abundant in the universe, simply based on how seemingly easily it arose on Earth and the sheer scale of the universe. It's impossible to fully comprehend just how large it is, just because we haven't detected anything (supposedly) in our immediate vicinity does not mean it's not out there. There could be life on Europa, Enceladus, Titan, or even prehistoric life on Mars that we haven't uncovered yet. I could quite easily imagine us finding simple organisms like bacteria and such within our own solar system in the (relatively) near future.

    Intelligent life is whole different ball game though. Out of all the species on the planet only one has become what we would term 'intelligent', why is that? Why did no other life become sentient on Earth? In any case, if you go back a mere 200 years, what evidence would there be (looking from the outside) of us? Let's say aliens discovered our planet from afar and decided it might be a habitable planet, how would they detect us without physically coming down here to look? There were no radio signals, satellites, electric lighting systems, etc back them, we'd be practically invisible. We've only begun looking for life in around the last 50-60 years or so, in terms of the age of the universe that is practically nothing. As Neil deGrasse Tyson put it, saying there's no life in the universe is like someone taking a cup and dipping it into the ocean, and then saying 'well there's no fish in the sea'.
    Why would you say life is probably abundant? It's based on one planet. Life could be so unique it's never existed anywhere else. Maybe it's abundant, maybe we're it.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #9  
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by vonStauffenberg View Post
    That's true. I just don't believe there is any credible evidence that we've ever been visited or any evidence life exists elsewhere.
    Im sure we will get an update from a twitter user soon to clarify if there has been contact with Alien life. Twitter vonStauffenberg. remember that, Twitter. Update me when you've heard something new
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #10  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,597
    Quote Originally Posted by IDREAMOFGINI View Post
    Im sure we will get an update from a twitter user soon to clarify if there has been contact with Alien life. Twitter vonStauffenberg. remember that, Twitter. Update me when you've heard something new
    Roger that.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #11  
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    24,354
    Quote Originally Posted by vonStauffenberg View Post
    No. I don't believe aliens are visiting earth. I'm unsure as to whether there is any life outside of earth.
    Those two things are vastly different from one another.
    YNWA
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #12  
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    9,327
    Quote Originally Posted by vonStauffenberg View Post
    Why would you say life is probably abundant? It's based on one planet. Life could be so unique it's never existed anywhere else. Maybe it's abundant, maybe we're it.
    It is the only conclusion that makes sense mathematically. An infinite universe containing an infinite numbers of stars and planets which are made out of the same essential set of elements is much more likely to be swarming with life than to be barren of it. Earth is unique for our galaxy but it is not unique in terms of the universe as a whole. Scientists have already discovered many "earth like" planets in other galaxies. Not to mention forms of life that we cannot even conceive of could evolve on planets that are nothing like earth as well.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #13  
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    7,550
    Quote Originally Posted by vonStauffenberg View Post
    Why would you say life is probably abundant? It's based on one planet. Life could be so unique it's never existed anywhere else. Maybe it's abundant, maybe we're it.
    I explained why. It's my opinion and it's an opinion that is shared by many scientists. If you think the only life in the entire universe arose on this one tiny rock in a small solar system somewhere on the outskirts of one of the many billions of galaxies in the observable universe then you do that. In the Milky Way alone there are between 100-400 billion stars (with god knows how many planets orbiting them), the Milky Way being one of more than 100 billion galaxies in the observable universe. I honestly find the idea that Earth is the only planet with life on utterly ludicrous.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #14  
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    234
    All the Klingons are coming out of the closet now with their weird names. hehe
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #15  
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    24,354
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortigen View Post
    It is the only conclusion that makes sense mathematically. An infinite universe containing an infinite numbers of stars and planets which are made out of the same essential set of elements is much more likely to be swarming with life than to be barren of it. Earth is unique for our galaxy but it is not unique in terms of the universe as a whole. Scientists have already discovered many "earth like" planets in other galaxies. Not to mention forms of life that we cannot even conceive of could evolve on planets that are nothing like earth as well.
    The estimate is there are 40 Billion earth like planets in our galaxy.
    YNWA
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #16  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,597
    Quote Originally Posted by Gegenpressing View Post
    Those two things are vastly different from one another.
    Yes they are. I don't believe we have ever been visited by aliens. I'm not sure that there is any life outside of earth. I believe we are unique. Something happened on earth which is a one in a trillion trillion chance that created life. The universe is massive but there's nothing to suggest we aren't the only living beings in it.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #17  
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    234
    You must type my name as Ueoxion in this thread.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #18  
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    24,354
    Quote Originally Posted by vonStauffenberg View Post
    Yes they are. I don't believe we have ever been visited by aliens. I'm not sure that there is any life outside of earth. I believe we are unique. Something happened on earth which is a one in a trillion trillion chance that created life. The universe is massive but there's nothing to suggest we aren't the only living beings in it.
    I'm almost certain Aliens have never visited earth. I'm almost certain there is life beyond our planet.
    YNWA
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #19  
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    24,354
    If the inflationary universe theory is correct, then there isn't just our universe, but an infinite number of universe's.
    YNWA
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #20  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,597
    Quote Originally Posted by Gegenpressing View Post
    I'm almost certain Aliens have never visited earth. I'm almost certain there is life beyond our planet.
    Based on what though?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #21  
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    83
    To me there has to be
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #22  
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    24,354
    Quote Originally Posted by vonStauffenberg View Post
    Based on what though?
    Size...pure and simple. There are 100 Billion galaxies in the observable universe.
    YNWA
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #23  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,597
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie-TeKkErS- View Post
    To me there has to be
    This is common. But why? We have one earth to go by. You can't base the rest of the universe on one planet.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #24  
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    15,348
    Life exists in the most harsh environments on earth. So there is a big chance it exists on other planets as well.
    The question is do intelligent life exists at all.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #25  
    Acumen is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    43,810
    Aliens can be microscopic organisms as well.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #26  
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie-TeKkErS- View Post
    To me there has to be
    who lot the yorkshire terrier use the computer? obi wan kenobi was it you?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #27  
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    24,354
    Quote Originally Posted by vonStauffenberg View Post
    This is common. But why? We have one earth to go by. You can't base the rest of the universe on one planet.
    There's life on our planet, so I suspect there's life out there. We might be the only life in the milky way, but not in the universe.
    YNWA
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #28  
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    7,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Gegenpressing View Post
    I'm almost certain Aliens have never visited earth. I'm almost certain there is life beyond our planet.
    It seems highly unlikely, based on the distances they'd have to travel, the technology they'd have to possess, the idea that they'd even want or care about visiting us in the first place.

    But, there are many, many unexplained instances of unidentified objects/craft that have no logical explanation, which do make you wonder.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #29  
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    24,354
    Quote Originally Posted by Acumen View Post
    Aliens can be microscopic organisms as well.
    Sure. There's even a chance there is life on one of Saturn's moons. Life just doesn't mean macroscopic life.
    YNWA
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #30  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,597
    Quote Originally Posted by Gegenpressing View Post
    Size...pure and simple. There are 100 Billion galaxies in the observable universe.
    Doesn't mean there's any life on any of them. There could be 999 trillion galaxies, doesn't mean there's life in any. I'm repeating myself, but could life on earth have occurred through such a freak chance that it's unlikely to ever occur again?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •