Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 32

Thread: I'm Tipping Curtis Jones To Be A Future England Star

  1. #1 Default I'm Tipping Curtis Jones To Be A Future England Star 
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    60
    Yes, I know it is early days and some would like to wait another five years before committing themselves either way (and probably have a list of no-marks who didn't get anywhere). But I'm thinking Jones has what it takes.

    14 months ago I tipped Jadon Sancho in a similar way (at a similar age) and now a lot of people would agree with my earlier assessment (he did have an unremarkable couple of games in the finals of the Youth Cup though, making up for it somewhat in the u17 Euros)
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #2  
    GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    24,468
    Looks good from what I've seen of him.

    Early doors though.
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #3  
    Mouldiogs is online now Wants a little line under his title
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    18,059
    Is he the captain .
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #4  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymath View Post
    Yes, I know it is early days and some would like to wait another five years before committing themselves either way (and probably have a list of no-marks who didn't get anywhere). But I'm thinking Jones has what it takes.

    14 months ago I tipped Jadon Sancho in a similar way (at a similar age) and now a lot of people would agree with my earlier assessment (he did have an unremarkable couple of games in the finals of the Youth Cup though, making up for it somewhat in the u17 Euros)
    Bit early to be cashing that one in.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #5  
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Trump View Post
    Bit early to be cashing that one in.
    No cashing yet, of course. But Sancho was the player of the Euros in May - up against all those "gifted foreigners". It will be interesting how much of a go City will give Sancho (yes I know) in preseason. Particularly with Spurs and Arsenal apparently looking to sign him.

    By the way, good to see another youth success for England today in the u19 Euro Finals.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #6  
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    60
    I was hoping Curtis Jones would get promoted to the u17 squad for the world cup in India. They way England struggled yesterday against Japan they could have done with him. Then again I'm not sure Gerrard would release him anyway.

    With BT not showing the u19 game yesterday and the 10 minutes highlights not even available on LFC TV I was wondering if anyone knew how he did. I've only seen a short report on it and not much was said.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #7  
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    20,664
    Quote Originally Posted by GrottonRed View Post
    Looks good from what I've seen of him.

    Early doors though.
    What's the saying, don't come before the balls dropped or something like that.......

    Be the umpteenth coming of the messiah, although tipping someone to be a future England star is hardly predicting great things given how England turn out mediocrity in competitions (referencing the quality of performance, not the players necessarily)


    BTW, did anyone see pointless where the kid forced his dad (?) to go with "the year 2002" then I think he got three pointless answers for England World Cup squad members.........? The pointless answers included Martyn, the goalkeeper HE couldn't think of but I got "lucky" guessing, Southgate who I also said but then started to doubt trying to remember when he managed boro, Joe Cole, Dyer and a number of others which made me wonder just how ordinary some of the squad were.
    People will believe what they want to believe
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #8  
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    What's the saying, don't come before the balls dropped or something like that.......

    Be the umpteenth coming of the messiah, although tipping someone to be a future England star is hardly predicting great things given how England turn out mediocrity in competitions (referencing the quality of performance, not the players necessarily)


    BTW, did anyone see pointless where the kid forced his dad (?) to go with "the year 2002" then I think he got three pointless answers for England World Cup squad members.........? The pointless answers included Martyn, the goalkeeper HE couldn't think of but I got "lucky" guessing, Southgate who I also said but then started to doubt trying to remember when he managed boro, Joe Cole, Dyer and a number of others which made me wonder just how ordinary some of the squad were.
    Well, if you don't think they are good enough there will be someone willing to pay good money for many of them. Their right back went for 50million recently (bit of a record for a full back). How much would did other lads go for - to the mighty Man City for example. What would kids like Dele Alli and Harry Kane go for? Don't you think Liverpool would be interested in any of them?

    Most of the "messiahs" people like to list weren't much cop in the first place. That isn't the case with Curtis Jones. It isn't the case with Jadon Sancho. And here's another future England star to the list: Callum Hudson-Odoi (Chelsea) if you know any Chelsea fans (unlikely) give them the good news. They are looking for one of their own - especially now Terry has gone.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #9  
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    23,907
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymath View Post
    Well, if you don't think they are good enough there will be someone willing to pay good money for many of them. Their right back went for 50million recently. How much other lads go for - to the might Man city for example. What would kids like Dele Alli and Harry Kane go for? Don't you think Liverpool would be interested in any of them?

    Most of the "messiahs" people like to list weren't much cop in the first place. That isn't the case with Curtis Jones. It isn't the case with Jadon Sancho. And here's another future England star to the list: Callum Hudson-Odoi (Chelsea) if you know any Chelsea fans (unlikely) give them the good news. They are looking for one of their own - especially now Terry has gone.
    I've been impressed by what I've seen of Phil Foden of City too.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #10  
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    60
    A top class goal today by Jones in the u18 win against West Brom.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #11  
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    I've been impressed by what I've seen of Phil Foden of City too.
    Foden is a talented hard working lad, but I doubt he's as good as Jones.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #12  
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    60
    Jones has been called up to the England u17 squad for the matches against Portugal, Russia and Germany, starting next week (along with Longstaff
    and Dixon-Bonner).
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #13  
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1,945
    A lot of these promising england youngsters probably will have to go through another way similar to vardy if they are to get future england caps, not that the little amount of English players in the premier league proportionately has harmed the international team too much.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #14  
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    2,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymath View Post
    Well, if you don't think they are good enough there will be someone willing to pay good money for many of them. Their right back went for 50million recently (bit of a record for a full back). How much would did other lads go for - to the mighty Man City for example. What would kids like Dele Alli and Harry Kane go for? Don't you think Liverpool would be interested in any of them?

    Most of the "messiahs" people like to list weren't much cop in the first place. That isn't the case with Curtis Jones. It isn't the case with Jadon Sancho. And here's another future England star to the list: Callum Hudson-Odoi (Chelsea) if you know any Chelsea fans (unlikely) give them the good news. They are looking for one of their own - especially now Terry has gone.
    Chelsea stole John Terry from West Ham. The so-called John 'Chelsea through and through" Terry was a boyhood Manchester United fan.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #15  
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    60
    That's a pity, after an outstanding 20 minutes against Germany, Jones had to go off. Sounded a bad one but didn't need a stretcher in the end.

    Gerrard will be fancying Liverpool to have a serious crack at the Youth Cup this season - even with a number of top sides going for it again, including Chelsea once more.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #16  
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymath View Post
    That's a pity, after an outstanding 20 minutes against Germany, Jones had to go off. Sounded a bad one but didn't need a stretcher in the end.

    Gerrard will be fancying Liverpool to have a serious crack at the Youth Cup this season - even with a number of top sides going for it again, including Chelsea once more.
    Re. the Youth Cup, I agree. We have a really good (above the usual average) crop of lads now under SG and I reckon we could, and should, really give the Cup a shake. I think the same about the Youth CL.
    loyal since 1960.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #17  
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,557
    only seen Curtis jones a handful of times but he looks pretty impressive hope he keeps on improving he could be a future starter for us
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #18  
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymath View Post
    That's a pity, after an outstanding 20 minutes against Germany, Jones had to go off. Sounded a bad one but didn't need a stretcher in the end.

    Gerrard will be fancying Liverpool to have a serious crack at the Youth Cup this season - even with a number of top sides going for it again, including Chelsea once more.
    Just a quick up date on last night. According to the initial FA match report on the game, the Jones injury was described as "a bit of a knock". So maybe he'll be back for the CL u19 game on Tuesday on BT.

    Him going off seemed to knock England back somewhat but they still ran out 2-1 winners. Having come back to beat Portugal and Russia earlier in the week But then they were helped by the opposition going down to ten men. Those claiming this season's group are below par, might be having a re-think now.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #19  
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by mountbeautygeorge View Post
    Re. the Youth Cup, I agree. We have a really good (above the usual average) crop of lads now under SG and I reckon we could, and should, really give the Cup a shake. I think the same about the Youth CL.
    And Woodburn is still eligible.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #20  
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    25,504
    There is a steady flow of good young players being developed in our academy, we need to embrace that and start giving them the opportunity to flourish at the club.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #21  
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,156
    Rashford - manu, Josh onama - spurs, brewster - liv

    Rash is already a first steamer but I think he can get better, we'll have to see, there's something about southgates system that seems refreshing, but I honestly want to see that formation with wellbeck and sturridge, the former presses off the ball like firmino.

    That team against Brazil could have done with Henderson Ali and lallana ahead of dier Livermore and lingard even delph, I like the system though
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #22  
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    2,324
    Quote Originally Posted by don0124lfc View Post
    Rashford - manu, Josh onama - spurs, brewster - liv

    Rash is already a first steamer but I think he can get better, we'll have to see, there's something about southgates system that seems refreshing, but I honestly want to see that formation with wellbeck and sturridge, the former presses off the ball like firmino.

    That team against Brazil could have done with Henderson Ali and lallana ahead of dier Livermore and lingard even delph, I like the system though
    Marcus Flatfoot will have a long career at championship level with Wigan. Realistically he's another David Healy and Kiko Macheda. You're nothing special if you're still playing under 18 football at 17.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #23  
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloppsstars View Post
    Marcus Flatfoot will have a long career at championship level with Wigan. Realistically he's another David Healy and Kiko Macheda. You're nothing special if you're still playing under 18 football at 17.
    Er, Rashford is playing for England seniors.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #24  
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by don0124lfc View Post
    Rashford - manu, Josh onama - spurs, brewster - liv

    Rash is already a first steamer but I think he can get better, we'll have to see, there's something about southgates system that seems refreshing, but I honestly want to see that formation with wellbeck and sturridge, the former presses off the ball like firmino.

    That team against Brazil could have done with Henderson Ali and lallana ahead of dier Livermore and lingard even delph, I like the system though
    I wouldn't expect too much from Onomah and even Brewster. Put it all on Jones.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #25  
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,854
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymath View Post
    I wouldn't expect too much from Onomah and even Brewster. Put it all on Jones.
    Yeah, of course.After all he is Curtis Jones.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #26  
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    2,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymath View Post
    Er, Rashford is playing for England seniors.
    He's a sub.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #27  
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloppsstars View Post
    He's a sub.
    Rashford has just turned 20. He started in the last game against Brazil. He is NOT a Championship standard players.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #28  
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Anil_Y2j View Post
    Yeah, of course.After all he is Curtis Jones.
    Indeed.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #29  
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    2,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymath View Post
    Rashford has just turned 20. He started in the last game against Brazil. He is NOT a Championship standard players.
    Wow he started a friendly when Harry Kane was injured!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #30  
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloppsstars View Post
    Wow he started a friendly when Harry Kane was injured!
    I really shouldn't have to explain this but not being first choice over Harry Kane at the age of 19/20 doesn't mean he will end up in the Championship in a few years.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •