Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 420 of 883

Thread: FSG.....Wimps or what?

  1. #391  
    TheSoundLady is online now Optimistic Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    29,418
    Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    We'll have alternatives to both Van Dijk and Keita. The reason we haven't been linked with anyone or arent pursuing them is because we haven't exhausted either of those transfers. When they are done, we'll move on.

    We looked at about three players last January. It wasnt one or nothing.
    Do you have any idea who the alternatives could be? Anyone that you think would be as good for us as those 2, and potentially get-able?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #392  
    BearWithMe is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    42,557
    Quote Originally Posted by reallash View Post
    Yeah, we are back the little britain scenario again aren't we? I don't believe that, not for a second
    Believe what you want, Klopp wont have a long Brended Rodgers like list of targets, he may have 2 or 3 max. That's how he's always worked.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #393  
    BearWithMe is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    42,557
    Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    We'll have alternatives to both Van Dijk and Keita. The reason we haven't been linked with anyone or arent pursuing them is because we haven't exhausted either of those transfers. When they are done, we'll move on.

    We looked at about three players last January. It wasnt one or nothing.
    Yes, the reason we're not strongly linked to anyone else is because there is 5 weeks left in the window. Keita and VVD are very much still on.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #394  
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    27,609
    Quote Originally Posted by BearWithMe View Post
    Yes, the reason we're not strongly linked to anyone else is because there is 5 weeks left in the window. Keita and VVD are very much still on.
    Southampton: We apologised for tapping up and face a severe punishment if we take it any further.

    Leipzig: Have consistently said he's not for sale at any price.


    Yep, we're well in the mix.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #395  
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,408
    Quote Originally Posted by BearWithMe View Post
    Believe what you want, Klopp wont have a long Brended Rodgers like list of targets, he may have 2 or 3 max. That's how he's always worked.
    That may well be how he worked at BVB, this club is a world of difference in terms of getting deals done. JK will need more targets to give the incompetents at LFC a bit more choice, because, well LFC.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #396  
    Ganymede is online now Prefers one thread per page
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    33,615
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullenator View Post
    Southampton: We apologised for tapping up and face a severe punishment if we take it any further.

    Leipzig: Have consistently said he's not for sale at any price.


    Yep, we're well in the mix.
    It's funny that when we say Cout is not for sale at any price people praise FSG.

    However, when we are told the same thing about Keita then FSG are wimps etc.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #397  
    BearWithMe is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    42,557
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullenator View Post
    Southampton: We apologised for tapping up and face a severe punishment if we take it any further.

    Leipzig: Have consistently said he's not for sale at any price.


    Yep, we're well in the mix.
    Roma said that about Salah
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #398  
    BearWithMe is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    42,557
    Quote Originally Posted by reallash View Post
    That may well be how he worked at BVB, this club is a world of difference in terms of getting deals done. JK will need more targets to give the incompetents at LFC a bit more choice, because, well LFC.
    Klopp is Klopp, he's not changing just because he manages Liverpool. He wont all of a sudden become Brendan Rodgers over night and let the 'committee' dictate to him who he buys.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #399  
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,408
    Quote Originally Posted by BearWithMe View Post
    Klopp is Klopp, he's not changing just because he manages Liverpool. He wont all of a sudden become Brendan Rodgers over night and let the 'committee' dictate to him who he buys.
    Not what I said mate. JK must have other players in mind. We can't go into a window targeting a CM and a CD, indicating that we need to strengthen in these positions, then come the end of the window we don't get them and make do with what we have. JK will have other targets, will the incompetents be able to deliver? That is the question. What we have will see us regress badly next season, that is certain, I can't see JK letting that happen.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #400  
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    54,675
    Quote Originally Posted by reallash View Post
    Not what I said mate. JK must have other players in mind. We can't go into a window targeting a CM and a CD, indicating that we need to strengthen in these positions, then come the end of the window we don't get them and make do with what we have. JK will have other targets, will the incompetents be able to deliver? That is the question. What we have will see us regress badly next season, that is certain, I can't see JK letting that happen.
    If we don't sign players it will be the managers choice. Nobody elses.

    If you bid 66m for a player then there is 66m available to spend. If the manager says there is no alternative then who do you blame for not signing anyone else?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #401  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    27,325
    Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    If we don't sign players it will be the managers choice. Nobody elses.

    If you bid 66m for a player then there is 66m available to spend. If the manager says there is no alternative then who do you blame for not signing anyone else?
    Uhhh, FSG!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #402  
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    27,609
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganymede View Post
    It's funny that when we say Cout is not for sale at any price people praise FSG.

    However, when we are told the same thing about Keita then FSG are wimps etc.
    No, when we are told the same thing about Keita, Leipzig are praised.

    The only way people can criticise FSG is if they don't get things sorted in terms of our first 11 by the end of the window. This 'wimp' word is a bit of an odd one. If we don't get Keita, tough luck I guess. However, if we don't get a very good midfielder as a replacement, someone top quality, then some criticism will be deserved.

    It's fair to say that FSG's transfer record in general has been awful. The VVD debacle has not exactly helped their image this window either.
    Last edited by Cullenator; 25-7-17 at 14:16.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #403  
    BearWithMe is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    42,557
    Quote Originally Posted by reallash View Post
    Not what I said mate. JK must have other players in mind. We can't go into a window targeting a CM and a CD, indicating that we need to strengthen in these positions, then come the end of the window we don't get them and make do with what we have. JK will have other targets, will the incompetents be able to deliver? That is the question. What we have will see us regress badly next season, that is certain, I can't see JK letting that happen.
    That's exactly what JK did last summer, bar his alternative CM was Wij though he did want two hence the reason for playing Lallana CM all season. An he missed out on a couple of LB so instead of going down the list and ending up another Moreno, he played Milner there instead and waited. My point is all this has nothing to do with FSG.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #404  
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,408
    Quote Originally Posted by BearWithMe View Post
    That's exactly what JK did last summer, bar his alternative CM was Wij though he did want two hence the reason for playing Lallana CM all season. An he missed out on a couple of LB so instead of going down the list and ending up another Moreno, he played Milner there instead and waited. My point is all this has nothing to do with FSG.
    We F'ed up big time last summer and it nearly cost us top 4. Do you think the same thing will be allowed to happen again.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #405  
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,023
    Said it before etc but surely all FSG had to do was approach their counterparts at Southampton and Leipzig right at outset (last season at the latest) and ask if they would be prepared to sell VVD and Keita. The answers surely would have been:

    Not under any circumstances or
    Maybe, if the price is right.

    What other answers to a reasonable approach could they have been realistically given ?

    One can only assume that they have instead had dialogue with the player, the agent, the media and/or none of the above.

    Seems like a pretty daft way to go about wasting your time when entrusted with 200m of spending money.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #406  
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    23,911
    Quote Originally Posted by BearWithMe View Post
    That's exactly what JK did last summer, bar his alternative CM was Wij though he did want two hence the reason for playing Lallana CM all season. An he missed out on a couple of LB so instead of going down the list and ending up another Moreno, he played Milner there instead and waited. My point is all this has nothing to do with FSG.
    I think alot of that comes down to not trusting those around him to find major signings.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #407  
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,836
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamingOfKlopp View Post
    I think alot of that comes down to not trusting those around him to find major signings.
    I'm not buying that, that's just wishful thinking on your part, easier to blame everyone else than think that maybe our manager might be culpable too. Hell, he openly admitted as much, said he should have tried harder in January. I love him to bits, but it's clear he's pretty stubborn, no choice but to trust he knows what he's doing though.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #408  
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    6,422
    Coutinho, Van Dijk, Keita and Can....TELL US WHATS REALLY GOING ON.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #409  
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,408
    Quote Originally Posted by lester View Post
    Coutinho, Van Dijk, Keita and Can....TELL US WHATS REALLY GOING ON.
    Well we aren't getting two of them and at least one is leaving.....
    Last edited by reallash; 26-7-17 at 02:29.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #410  
    Snippes is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    39,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Speshhh View Post
    Said it before etc but surely all FSG had to do was approach their counterparts at Southampton and Leipzig right at outset (last season at the latest) and ask if they would be prepared to sell VVD and Keita. The answers surely would have been:

    Not under any circumstances or
    Maybe, if the price is right.

    What other answers to a reasonable approach could they have been realistically given ?

    One can only assume that they have instead had dialogue with the player, the agent, the media and/or none of the above.

    Seems like a pretty daft way to go about wasting your time when entrusted with 200m of spending money.
    You really must be nave if you think that's how football transfers work.

    Do you think United just welcomed Madrid when they first came for Ronaldo? Or do you think we just said - oh sure, Barca, you want Suarez? What time works for you to come around for a chat?

    No team is going to make selling their top players easy. They are not just going to say - yeah, its doable, we'll think about it sure. You have to poke and prod and refuse to take no for an answer till you get what you want. That's how it works a lot of the time when you are trying to pry a team's best player for them, regardless of how much money you have to throw at them. Come on, now...
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #411  
    BearWithMe is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    42,557
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamingOfKlopp View Post
    I think alot of that comes down to not trusting those around him to find major signings.
    Its a mixture of Klopp being very picky (we know this from his BVB days) and the limited amount of top players wanting to come here. In truth most young talents would rather go play for BVB than LFC as we've seen in recent windows. So Klopp even with limited funds probably had a better crack at it with BVB than LFC.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #412  
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    6,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullenator View Post
    [I]Southampton: We apologised for tapping up and face a severe punishment if we take it any further.
    No we won't.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cullenator View Post


    Leipzig: Have consistently said he's not for sale at any price.


    Yep, we're well in the mix.
    Actually the current stance is: Mintzlaff: "€75m is not enough to buy Keita. He is World Class, he stays"

    "75m isn't enough" is hardly the same as "not for sale at any price". If anything, it's encouraging us to offer more.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #413  
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,793
    its hard to know what stance you take on this topic, literally you'll fall one side or the other

    1. FSG great to target VVD, Keita - at last we target good players

    or

    2. FSG failed to land our targets - rubbish, joke of owners

    look signing world class players isn't easy, we still do not yet know if we've failed with these attempts

    1. VVD is pretty much outcast from the squad
    2. Keita is rucking with players

    both want to come, both are wanted by Klopp

    still very likely they will both happen at some point....(in my opinion) it often still amazes me how powerful players and agents are and what they can do to make a transfer happen

    very very rare do players go through scenarios both VVD and Keita are without eventually getting a transfer
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #414  
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,023
    Quote Originally Posted by Snippes View Post
    You really must be nave if you think that's how football transfers work.

    Do you think United just welcomed Madrid when they first came for Ronaldo? Or do you think we just said - oh sure, Barca, you want Suarez? What time works for you to come around for a chat?

    No team is going to make selling their top players easy. They are not just going to say - yeah, its doable, we'll think about it sure. You have to poke and prod and refuse to take no for an answer till you get what you want. That's how it works a lot of the time when you are trying to pry a team's best player for them, regardless of how much money you have to throw at them. Come on, now...
    You should read Shankly - The Lost Diary. Maybe a while ago but why break in the back door when the fronts open ? I'm not suggesting being daft anyway.........this is LFC and Klopp asking, politely, if there's business to be done. BTW, the vast majority of clubs sell their best players to a. Survive or b. Get decent money before the player runs the clock down. It's business - it doesn't mean you behave like shysters. And if you are going to play dirty nobody can complain if you asked them nicely in the first place and then they played silly beggars.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #415  
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,023
    Nice to see they're now *********** off the whole of West Derby by demolishing perhaps the most iconic, historic training ground in British football and replacing it with 160 slapdash cramped houses to turn another dollar. Nice. The residents are suggesting that perhaps they leave it for LFC ladies who have to train in Widnes. Funny FSG never thought about that given they've got a bona fide scouser at the helm.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #416  
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Speshhh View Post
    Nice to see they're now *********** off the whole of West Derby by demolishing perhaps the most iconic, historic training ground in British football and replacing it with 160 slapdash cramped houses to turn another dollar. Nice. The residents are suggesting that perhaps they leave it for LFC ladies who have to train in Widnes. Funny FSG never thought about that given they've got a bona fide scouser at the helm.
    Yeah, the term infrastructure comes to mind. We can't build a new ground or a ground much above 60,000 because of the surrounding infrastructure nor being able to take the strain.

    Residents in West Derby have protested constantly that building 160 cramped (terraced houses) in this area will overwhelm the existing infrastructure, this has been ignored. Clearly infrastructure not being able to take the strain is a convenience to use at will.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #417  
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,716
    I just love the accusations of FSG destroying a hallowed training ground in order to profit from a housing project. Melwood not fit for purpose, fact. FSG has no control over local planning controls, fact. FSG whipping boys for many bitter and twisted LFC posters, fact.

    Not a fact but waiting fir someone to blame the UK weather on FSG.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #418  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Speshhh View Post
    Nice to see they're now *********** off the whole of West Derby by demolishing perhaps the most iconic, historic training ground in British football and replacing it with 160 slapdash cramped houses to turn another dollar. Nice. The residents are suggesting that perhaps they leave it for LFC ladies who have to train in Widnes. Funny FSG never thought about that given they've got a bona fide scouser at the helm.
    We want a bigger Anfield. We need a bigger and better training facility to attract and develop the best young talent. We want the best players.

    But heaven forbid the club do something to make some money to pay for all of these demands... it's like people just look for ANYTHING to throw mud at FSG. Pathetic and spoiled attitude really.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #419  
    lonewolf kal is online now Boot Room insider
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    70,635
    Quote Originally Posted by scousechrisj View Post
    We want a bigger Anfield. We need a bigger and better training facility to attract and develop the best young talent. We want the best players.

    But heaven forbid the club do something to make some money to pay for all of these demands... it's like people just look for ANYTHING to throw mud at FSG. Pathetic and spoiled attitude really.
    i remember klopp saying something on his first presser. many people talk about ambition, but have no idea on how to achieve it.. sounds familiar.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #420  
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Ottershaw View Post
    I just love the accusations of FSG destroying a hallowed training ground in order to profit from a housing project. Melwood not fit for purpose, fact. FSG has no control over local planning controls, fact. FSG whipping boys for many bitter and twisted LFC posters, fact.

    Not a fact but waiting fir someone to blame the UK weather on FSG.
    Just dropping in to see how the Thread is going. Not bad Gordon, considering how it was berated on page 1.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •