Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: FSG.....Wimps or what?

Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    As far as I know, we made two bids. The last being 66m. There was a story saying we were set to increase that to 75m but we didnt bid a third time. City increased their bid for Sanchez, which meant Arsenal could then throw all that money and ours at Lemar, drastically raising his fee.

I think Alon was closer to the mark saying we could have done this the other way around but then you have to believe that we would have spent 80m on him, which I think is unlikely without the money from Coutinho. I know we can say we didnt need to buy Oxlade-Chamberlain if we were going for Lemar but Klopp fancied him and I think he would have gone to Chelsea this season had we not moved now. So, the suggestion that we could have waited until next season doesnt quite work.

That said, if Lemar is going to be worth so much more next season then it stands to reason that Coutinho will? If we can make assumptions on one player then why not the other? So we could be in a position where we ask Barca for whatever Monaco want for Lemar. I expect us to retain a position in the top four this year, because of the depth of strength in our forward and attacking midfield positions, so I dont think our hand will be weakened. If we come up against Madrid, Bayern, maybe Utd, or City then yes I think we'd struggle. But again, we can quite literally throw all the Coutinho money at him, and offer comparable wages now too with our top earners starting at 200,000 a week.
    The big question is whether Barcelona will have the funds to come back for Coutinho with a similar (or higher) bid.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by BearWithMe View Post
    Very few available upgrades, plenty of CB out there better than Lovren but not many available. You only have to look at who City and Chelsea were linked with, Jonny Evans and Ben Gibson!
    Exactly.
    :FP:

Alpha Papa is online now Academy prospect
    Lot's of people saying "there must surely be other CB options who are better than what we have".

That's obviously true, but the world doesn't end after this season. The club/Klopp clearly doesn't want to spend 30m on a CB who we are going to want to improve on in 12 months time - someone like Jonny Evans. So we'll wait an extra season and land one of the best CBs in the league. I assume that's the plan.

What we've done clearly has problems - but for years we've rushed into buying the wrong players. Look at some of those signings on the final days of transfer windows, Balotelli, Carroll etc. We're pinpointing players who'll have a real positive long-term impact. In Salah and Keita we have two of them. It's obviously a shame we didn't add VVD, but I'm confident he'll end up playing for Liverpool.

Quote Originally Posted by Fowi View Post
    I doubt that.
    We will see. I think Gomez has decent potential. He's definitely got more to offer us than Klavan.

Snippes is offline First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by EmreSam View Post
    Exactly. Our most important window in years. Back in the Champions League.

-ONE first team quality player signed.
    -We don't even bid for Van Dijk nor any other centre back.
    -Overspend for a player with one year left on his contract who's never ever proven himself in midfield. But 15m extra is too much for a Champions League proven Thomas Lemar.

Our best defender is slightly injury prone. And we are ONE injury to him, away from fielding a Lovren-Klavan partnership in the UEFA Champions League.

I don't care whether people blame FSG or whether they blame Klopp - but do not even try to pretend or convince yourself we've had a decent transfer window. It's shambolic.
    You gotta love the "we are one injury away from Lovren-Klavan partnership" comments as if this is somehow unique to Liverpool. City, Chelsea, United, Spurs are one injury to their best CB away from being stuck with a CB partnership that will leave them with sleep nights chewing on nails situations.

Where do you get off saying we have signed "ONE first team quality player? Are you genuinely suggesting Ox isn't a first team quality player? Is that because he signed for Liverpool and not Chelsea because I will bet anything Ox would be getting lauded as great first team depth signing. This is a guy Klopp says he's been monitoring for 3 years. Just as he said he'd been monitoring Mane for years before he signed him. Are you questioning Klopp's ability to assess players? How did we overpay for him, the reason he cost 35 Mil was because he was in his last contract year. Otherwise he'd have cost way more, anyone with common sense would know this.

And how exactly were we supposed to bid for VVD after ballsing up the transfer and having to publicly assure Soton we wouldn't make another unsolicited approach this window? Had we gone back in our word and peeved off Soton to the point we are now getting transfer bans, you would be killing the club for incompetence. People are acting like we forgot to bid for VVD and Soton forgot we wanted VVD and that why he's not here. It's clear, Soton made a stand and no bid was getting it done this window. The only thing we could have done was make things worse by going back in our word, peeling them off, nit getting the player AND probably getting sanctioned.

It's funny, Liverpool fans accept and applaud the club for standing its ground with Coutinho but won't accept that Southampton can do the exact same thing. Bizarre.

Snippes is offline First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by EmreSam View Post
    Do people now understand when I say net spend is irrelevant?

Last summer was so much better than this summer. Yet last summer we had a positive net spend and this summer our net spend currently stands at -70m
    How in God's name was last summer better than this summer? Last summer we got Mane, Karius, Klavan, Gini.

This summer we got Ox, Salah, Solanke, Robertson and secured the services of Keita (best midfield signing possible on the planet) for the long term. I ask again....how was last summer "so much better" than this summer?

If anything, this summer has been a good next building block step to last summer because needs were addressed, depth was addressed, and quite frankly, short of selling clubs acting crazy stubborn, I think we can safely say Liverpool has re-established itself as a top player destination club when you see players like Keita and Ox snubbing other alternatives to come here and players like Lemar and VVD desperate to come here so badly they are willing to stick it out a few more months rather than go somewhere else.

You can look at things as being bleak all your want but make no mistake, that is your decision and not anything remotely to do with reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Snippes View Post
    How in God's name was last summer better than this summer? Last summer we got Mane, Karius, Klavan, Gini.

This summer we got Ox, Salah, Solanke, Robertson and secured the services of Keita (best midfield signing possible on the planet) for the long term. I ask again....how was last summer "so much better" than this summer?

If anything, this summer has been a good next building block step to last summer because needs were addressed, depth was addressed, and quite frankly, short of selling clubs acting crazy stubborn, I think we can safely say Liverpool has re-established itself as a top player destination club when you see players like Keita and Ox snubbing other alternatives to come here and players like Lemar and VVD desperate to come here so badly they are willing to stick it out a few more months rather than go somewhere else.

You can look at things as being bleak all your want but make no mistake, that is your decision and not anything remotely to do with reality.
    For me seeing players wanting to come to Liverpool is a part of the disappointment. We could have made some really fine signings and become contenders as a result but we didn't. I think we should finish in the top 4 because I think we have more going for us than Arsenal or Spurs at the moment but I don't think we have enough quality to challenge for the title as of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by up-and-up View Post
    My wife's reaction to transfer deadline day. "They must have a lot of money left".
    Better than "It's just a game"

Wow, RB, best post I've seen on this forum in a very long time. And correct in every word.

Of course am disappointed we could t get VVD over the line. But WTF are you going to do when a club digs in, just as we did over Coutinho. If Klopp wasn't willing to settle on a CB choice, that's his prerogative. I remember this time last year people losing their **** over not signing a LB, and Milner while not spectacular, held his own till we could but this summer.

The Ox was nowhere near top of my list of signings this summer, but neither was Sadio Mane and look how that turned out.

I got sick and tired of telling people that FSG meant what they said and Phil was staying. He stayed.

The most exciting thing for me was the player I wanted more than any other (besides VVD) chose us over all others and we worked out a deal with a ridiculously stubborn club. I can't wait to see Naby running around in that red shirt.

It wasn't a perfect window but I think it was a successful window because we are a more fulsome improved squad from when the window opened. The cry babies will whine and moan for weeks but who cares. I trust in Klopp's project completely, and that's all that really matters at the end of the day.

Show me the one club who had the perfect window. Exactly.
    Thanks Snippes. Everyone's desperate to see better defenders coming in, so much that some lose sight of the goal. They have to understand it's not a case of any CB will do, it's a case of finding the perfect choice for this club. This has been done, and we've done everything possible except get the club to sell.

People need to appreciate the work Klopp has done, even though he over stepped the mark and gave Saints some ammo, he's got Van Dijk completely on board and wanting to sign for us, so it's just a matter of time. Klopp isn't going to drop all that progress to sign someone else he's not interested in.

Another question to ask the ******* off people is, who out of all CBs who made a move in this window would they rather have than Van Dijk?

Of the other names mentioned as alternatives to VD, did any of them move clubs? If not why?

Whatever answers there are to these questions they're none of my concern. We've got enough heads to cover positions and it's up to Klopp to improve by coaching.
    We can judge this defense again in January to see how good or bad Klopp's decision was to wait.

Again this is none of my concern as I'm fully on board with the VD chase. He's waiting for us and we're not giving up.
    Once the deal is done, Van Dijk is going to be a whirlwind signing, he'll repay our loyalty with commitment I've no doubt about that. I can just imagine the relief and will to succeed once I finally get the red shirt over my head.

You gotta love the "we are one injury away from Lovren-Klavan partnership" comments as if this is somehow unique to Liverpool. City, Chelsea, United, Spurs are one injury to their best CB away from being stuck with a CB partnership that will leave them with sleep nights chewing on nails situations.

Where do you get off saying we have signed "ONE first team quality player? Are you genuinely suggesting Ox isn't a first team quality player? Is that because he signed for Liverpool and not Chelsea because I will bet anything Ox would be getting lauded as great first team depth signing. This is a guy Klopp says he's been monitoring for 3 years. Just as he said he'd been monitoring Mane for years before he signed him. Are you questioning Klopp's ability to assess players? How did we overpay for him, the reason he cost 35 Mil was because he was in his last contract year. Otherwise he'd have cost way more, anyone with common sense would know this.

And how exactly were we supposed to bid for VVD after ballsing up the transfer and having to publicly assure Soton we wouldn't make another unsolicited approach this window? Had we gone back in our word and peeved off Soton to the point we are now getting transfer bans, you would be killing the club for incompetence. People are acting like we forgot to bid for VVD and Soton forgot we wanted VVD and that why he's not here. It's clear, Soton made a stand and no bid was getting it done this window. The only thing we could have done was make things worse by going back in our word, peeling them off, nit getting the player AND probably getting sanctioned.

It's funny, Liverpool fans accept and applaud the club for standing its ground with Coutinho but won't accept that Southampton can do the exact same thing. Bizarre.
    We can only be interested in ourselves and the prospect of a Matip injury is God fearing. Klopp himself mentioned at the end of last season that defence needed attention(cant remember his exact words) We haven't done that. Central positions are the same as before and set plays make me stretch for the fibulator in advance. Klopp is very single minded and if he has VVD in mind then VVD it will be. Perhaps he thought that it wasn't worth investing on a significant upgrade on Lovern when in his minds eye he sees a Matip/VVD partnership. These are his decisions but we cannot pretend that we dont have a problem there.
    IMO we overpaid for Ox, and I dont just mean because he was in the last year of his contract. We simply overpaid for him, only a few million less than Salah! Our joint second most expensive player ever and in a full strength team, he's not a starter! I'm sure Klopp has a plan for him I can only hope that he puts the work in to adjust to Klopp's football. Though credit to him for wanting to come here and accepting 33% less wages to do just that.
    I agree entirely with you about VVD - we simply couldn't bid unless Southampton invited us too and they didn't so we just had to keep quite and show credibility on this one.
    Credit to FSG for their Coutinho stance. I think that pre-signing of Keita makes this window a partially successful one. I think with the signing of Salah and a maturing team under Klopp's tutelage makes us stronger and we should secure a top 4 finish.

Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    They accepted a bid? The power in this case lay with the player because he said he wasnt joining Arsenal; the club who bid €100m and had that accepted by Monaco.

I dont know what it takes for some people, etc etc
    O.K. When I posted that I had not heard that Monaco had accepted Arsenal's bid. The thing is we bid 72m which was probably about 22m more than we really valued him at, but we were willing to go that extra mile. When they came back and said Arsenal had bid 92m and what were we going to do about it? We probably had a discussion and said "you know what, we've offered a very generous price, if that is not good enough, forget it, and I for one don't blame them. Basically Arsenal bid that from pure panic as they had had a terrible transfer window. We hadn't. We live to fight another day.

What's been interesting about this window is, if a club stands firm against selling a player, the domino effect it has on other clubs.

BearWithMe is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by KOPGIRL1971 View Post
    What's been interesting about this window is, if a club stands firm against selling a player, the domino effect it has on other clubs.
    Lost more clubs are standing firm due to the increased levels of money in the game this season, all clubs have had 50m+ extra in revenues. Thats put most clubs in a position were they dont have to sell.