Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 181 to 205 of 205

Thread: Gears Continue To Grind

  1. #181  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,870
    Quote Originally Posted by kas74 View Post
    Oh yes,outrage isn't outrage unless you express it via the medium of strutting.
    Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    Oh, I can see it now… a haughty flounce along the seats. Pause at the steps, then an exaggerated turn to walk up to the back, then a head thrown back like a drama queen, as you do a final twirl and then out through the doors.
    Clearly you are both experts in the art.

    I did the whole stop at the corner of the screen, turn back to look at the film and shake head in disgust

    Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    You poke fun just because i can remember when Bakelite was 'The Wonder Of The Age.'
    Could be worse, could have been the wheel
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #182  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,870
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar Rock View Post
    That must have been awkward when you were only logging on for a ****.
    We were subtle like that, sing the anthem then 5 minutes each 'alone time' on a rota basis

    Often filled with regret those 5 mins per person, complaints of pop ups 'ruining it' or cries of 'just one more minute!'

    But that was Granny for you
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #183  
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,540
    Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    Clearly you are both experts in the art.

    I did the whole stop at the corner of the screen, turn back to look at the film and shake head in disgust


    Could be worse, could have been the wheel
    Oh, you're such a showboat, mate!

    Had to Google that…
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #184  
    aylesbyred is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    49,697
    Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    Watch it, you cheeky young whippersnapper.
    lol, i'm not scared of you old man as i am confident i can run faster than you... just
    dont look back in anger.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #185  
    kas74 is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    36,063
    Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    Oh, you're such a showboat, mate!

    Had to Google that…
    For a second there I thought 'the wheel' was some sort of incredibly athletic flounce move.

    My fault for not reading every post.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #186  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,098
    Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    We were subtle like that, sing the anthem then 5 minutes each 'alone time' on a rota basis

    Often filled with regret those 5 mins per person, complaints of pop ups 'ruining it' or cries of 'just one more minute!'

    But that was Granny for you


    A golden age.

    I first got the internet with my Sega Dreamcast, but the connection was awful, and the browser. The only thing I could reliably find was a nude picture of Cindy Crawford which took several minutes to load. I still see that picture when I close my eyes.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #187  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,896
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar Rock View Post


    A golden age.

    I first got the internet with my Sega Dreamcast, but the connection was awful, and the browser. The only thing I could reliably find was a nude picture of Cindy Crawford which took several minutes to load. I still see that picture when I close my eyes.
    .....loading line by line. Kids these days don't know the struggles the older generation had to contend with.
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #188  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    .....loading line by line. Kids these days don't know the struggles the older generation had to contend with.
    Gave me plenty of time to get warmed up.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #189  
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    17,618
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar Rock View Post
    When it actually wasn't even literal. "She literally ********** herself laughing." **** off.
    Although the OED and Meriam Webster both advertise the figurative definition for literally as well as the literal definition.

    https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/literally
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #190  
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    3,529
    Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    Although the OED and Meriam Webster both advertise the figurative definition for literally as well as the literal definition.

    https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/literally
    They've opened a can of worms there...(metaphorically speaking). Strange to have two opposite definitions in a definition.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #191  
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    17,618
    Quote Originally Posted by DantesShadow View Post
    They've opened a can of worms there...(metaphorically speaking). Strange to have two opposite definitions in a definition.
    As a living language English evolves and will regularly come up with new words or new definitions to existing words.

    Additionally as there is no equivalent to the Académie Française to act as the official authority to the language.

    The OED will allow any word/definition that has come into common usage. It also will be high on impossible to create a single version due to the variety of both demonym english eg. British or Australian English along with the likes of singlish which is the source of sabo.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #192  
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,540
    Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    lol, i'm not scared of you old man as i am confident i can run faster than you... just
    'Oh… you can run, buddy-boy. Run anywhere you like. Find that little hidey-hole. Maybe I move slow… but I keep going. I don't stop.
    One day, some day… might be a week, a month… maybe years from now, you'll see me across the street. (pauses and smiles) And I'll see you.'

    (Pull back, fade to black)

    Roll credits.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #193  
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    3,529
    Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    As a living language English evolves and will regularly come up with new words or new definitions to existing words.

    Additionally as there is no equivalent to the Académie Française to act as the official authority to the language.

    The OED will allow any word/definition that has come into common usage. It also will be high on impossible to create a single version due to the variety of both demonym english eg. British or Australian English along with the likes of singlish which is the source of sabo.
    Sure, I am not the arbiter of the language and have no power, but my opinion on this is that I dont like it, and there should be limits to the distortion of language that can be put in a dictionary. This isn't a new word, but an existing word being used wrongly by mistake rather than design.

    Many people use the word 'fact' incorrectly, so at what point shall we include the 'non-fact' definition to the dictionary for fact? We shouldn't!
    Last edited by DantesShadow; Yesterday at 10:46.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #194  
    aylesbyred is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    49,697
    Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    'Oh… you can run, buddy-boy. Run anywhere you like. Find that little hidey-hole. Maybe I move slow… but I keep going. I don't stop.
    One day, some day… might be a week, a month… maybe years from now, you'll see me across the street. (pauses and smiles) And I'll see you.'

    (Pull back, fade to black)

    Roll credits.
    any more of this harrassment and i'm taking the battery out yer scooter
    dont look back in anger.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #195  
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,540
    Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    any more of this harrassment and i'm taking the battery out yer scooter
    I can easily replace a couple of EverReady AA, Ayles! Bwaaahhh hahahahah.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #196  
    aylesbyred is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    49,697
    Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    I can easily replace a couple of EverReady AA, Ayles! Bwaaahhh hahahahah.
    typical old folk, have to have the last word
    dont look back in anger.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #197  
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,540
    Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    typical old folk, have to have the last word









    yes
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #198  
    aylesbyred is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    49,697
    Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    yes
    lol you win
    dont look back in anger.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #199  
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,540
    Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    lol you win
    I know.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #200  
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    17,618
    Quote Originally Posted by DantesShadow View Post
    Sure, I am not the arbiter of the language and have no power, but my opinion on this is that I dont like it, and there should be limits to the distortion of language that can be put in a dictionary. This isn't a new word, but an existing word being used wrongly by mistake rather than design.

    Many people use the word 'fact' incorrectly, so at what point shall we include the 'non-fact' definition to the dictionary for fact? We shouldn't!
    There are already many contranyms like dust, strike and oversight. Sometimes it is due to source words are etymologically different but lead to the same place. Then there are those words being used in a coded way so that anyone outside the group may not know the context of the definition. E.g. Counterculture definitions for words like bad and wicked.

    Other times like this one it is due to some people have misinterpreted the exact definition - however through continuous usage the word became understood to be a figurative descriptor as well as the factual version.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #201  
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,540
    Christmas.

    It's arrived. A shop in one of the local malls is being renovated/modified… The Christmas Heirloom Company (loads of expensive fake Christmas trees and all the requisite expensive tat). Opens this coming Saturday, a full three months before Christmas.

    Department stores are already enlarging their confectionary sections… rack upon rack of boxes, tins, bottles, bags…

    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #202  
    kas74 is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    36,063
    Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    Christmas.

    It's arrived. A shop in one of the local malls is being renovated/modified… The Christmas Heirloom Company (loads of expensive fake Christmas trees and all the requisite expensive tat). Opens this coming Saturday, a full three months before Christmas.

    Department stores are already enlarging their confectionary sections… rack upon rack of boxes, tins, bottles, bags…

    Home Bargains have had their Christmas aisle up and running for almost two weeks and Tesco have squillions of chocolate reindeer on display.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #203  
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,540
    Quote Originally Posted by kas74 View Post
    Home Bargains have had their Christmas aisle up and running for almost two weeks and Tesco have squillions of chocolate reindeer on display.
    It's all a bit awful, really.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #204  
    kas74 is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    36,063
    Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    It's all a bit awful, really.
    There's a shop in town where the Christmas cards have been on the shelves for six weeks.
    Talk about getting in the mood.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #205  
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,540
    Quote Originally Posted by kas74 View Post
    There's a shop in town where the Christmas cards have been on the shelves for six weeks.
    Talk about getting in the mood.
    Stay in the mood for three months? That's asking a lot.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •