Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Parenthood and children!

1. #1 Default Parenthood and children! 
    Always thought it'd be a good idea to have a place to discuss all things kids. Just seen some posters suggesting the same so I thought I'd just do it!

I've got one child myself, had him when I was 24. He's beautiful, inside and out and the one thing in my life im truly proud of.

He's getting big now and he's a handful!!! Headbuts, slaps, strops when he can't get what he wants!! He's calming down slightly though as he's started walking thankfully.

To any experienced parents, is this the easy bit? What age do you find parenthood the most challenging? Any thoughts on this and kids in general are welcome and appreciated
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

DiddlerDave is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukadamainman View Post
    Always thought it'd be a good idea to have a place to discuss all things kids. Just seen some posters suggesting the same so I thought I'd just do it!

I've got one child myself, had him when I was 24. He's beautiful, inside and out and the one thing in my life im truly proud of.

He's getting big now and he's a handful!!! Headbuts, slaps, strops when he can't get what he wants!! He's calming down slightly though as he's started walking thankfully.

To any experienced parents, is this the easy bit? What age do you find parenthood the most challenging? Any thoughts on this and kids in general are welcome and appreciated

Oh, mate… what have you started?

aylesbyred is offline Boot Room insider

When my wife had our first child I looked at her in a completely different way, the respect increased tenfold when I saw her in childbirth.

Kids are amazing, challenging, frustrating, wonderful all rolled into one and sometimes all that in the same day !

Terrible twos are difficult, what you describe there especially - my eldest daughter is having the same with our grandaighter - oh and biting, she's got biting to try and work out.

As my kids are 18,20 & 22 now they're my best mates, the pride at their achievements is huge, passing exams, driving tests, getting jobs, the challenge i found is when things go wrong, sharing my own experiences instead of dictating and just being there when **** happens has been more important for me than any advice i can give.

There's no easy bit mate and sometimes its a thankless task especially as they hit teens - I'll not expand lol.

The best thing I give and receive from mine is love.
    53757 - declared

I find it's the fun bit once they start walking. Even if a little harder!

(also saves you back because at this point they are little sack if shement)

DiddlerDave is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    When my wife had our first child I looked at her in a completely different way, the respect increased tenfold when I saw her in childbirth.

Kids are amazing, challenging, frustrating, wonderful all rolled into one and sometimes all that in the same day !

Terrible twos are difficult, what you describe there especially - my eldest daughter is having the same with our grandaighter - oh and biting, she's got biting to try and work out.

As my kids are 18,20 & 22 now they're my best mates, the pride at their achievements is huge, passing exams, driving tests, getting jobs, the challenge i found is when things go wrong, sharing my own experiences instead of dictating and just being there when **** happens has been more important for me than any advice i can give.

There's no easy bit mate and sometimes its a thankless task especially as they hit teens - I'll not expand lol.

Top man, Ayles.

It all comes down to that.

Red-And-Proud is offline First team regular

Good post this.

Kids need stability and love thats about it (feeding is useful too)...Everything else changes, there is no good or bad age, it is always hard work but also rewarding.

I've just my 4th child, a little girl, the other 3 are boys so I am sure this one will be a completely different, well they have all been different really.

I have a nice elderly chap who visit my office, he's retired, his kids have grown up and moved on and his wife still works- I guess he is just bored now..He told me something just after my daughter was born... "I worked everyday, every hour for my kids, to give them everything they need...but I look back now and its my biggest regret, because the one thing they didn't get was the one thing they might have needed the most, my attention, my time, quality time together...I didn't really know them and they didn't really know me..."

It's something that hit home, I work all day everyday to provide for them, but I am now starting to think I should spend more time with them because I can always get money back but I can't back the time that they grow...And it really does go so quick.

I find kids interest a bit boring, well of course as a grown up, but take time to find something they enjoy doing and take part in it, wether you like it or not, its for them, but I get something else out of it.

I could ramble on for hours about this, there is no right way or wrong way of parenting, only the good way, which is 50% heart and 50% mind.
    Try to guide them, not push them, encourage them but don't shield them for reality, teach them how to value their possesions through hard work and care, but also teach them to value the things that come free in life, love, integrity, kindness.

I am cliched out, but I mean it all.
    Klopps beard twin

Well said! Mine are 21,22 and 27. One grandson.
    Each age has it's challenge but there's always good times whatever happens.
    Don't wish their life away - enjoy every moment. Make sure they're Red and Proud! Not the poster!!
    The Long and Winding Road

lfcstlouis is offline Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Terrible 2's are nothing. It's the F'ing 4's that are something else.

Our's is 6 now, and my wife is now 4 months pregnant with twins. So we're ******.

Good luck to you. It's a fine balance between have ridged structure to help develop appropriate behavior and just letting them be kids and giving them support and love and understanding.

Liverpoolforme is online now First team regular
    I don't have any children myself, but I have worked with children for 11 years. Currently working in a special educational needs primary school for excluded children. The most difficult and most rewarding job I have ever done.

TattooedByAgger is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post

Our's is 6 now, and my wife is now 4 months pregnant with twins. So we're ******.

Good luck to you. It's a fine balance between have ridged structure to help develop appropriate behavior and just letting them be kids and giving them support and love and understanding.
    I've always heard if you talk about the "terrible twos," you've never had a three year old. Our boy will be 2.5 next week. Definitely more obstinate, but that's part of it. Overall, certainly nothing much more difficult than before he turned two IMO. We'll see how 3-4 goes.

And congratulations on the twins! Good luck.

Mines is 19 months. Love her to pieces. But shes definitely 19 months going on 19 some days. Little strops and tantrums here and there, she definitely has her mums temper! But shes also great fun. She cracks me up, like when shes watching Zootropolis and the song comes on she will start dancing in a strange little way or the fact she absolutely loves ducks! Well she calls them "Duck Duck" when ever she see's one, or goes woof woof every time she see's a dog (makes watching secret life of pets interesting anyway!). She's my little mate, people say don't be friends with your kids but whats the point if your not going to have fun with them, obviously you need to discipline them when the time comes but I just want her to have fun and enjoy being a kid!

I have one boy aged 3. I think it gets harder by the day.,

geralion is online now Or a tiger they're almost as good
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolforme View Post
    I don't have any children myself, but I have worked with children for 11 years. Currently working in a special educational needs primary school for excluded children. The most difficult and most rewarding job I have ever done.
    Good for you. Its a tough job I'm sure but if you get results that's brilliant.

Join the club, I have almost 3 year old twin boys. Do you know what you are having yet?

I would recommend you find your local twins and multiples club on Facebook, they have been a fantastic source of support and information for us and we made some great friends out of it too as have the boys.

I'll just take this opportunity to big up the NHS staff who picked up that one of my twins was having trouble ( being crushed by his brother in the womb was picked up during a check up) and it took them as long as it took me to get to the hospital to get my wife in for an emergency c section. I've little idea what happened as I must have sleep walked through the whole thing and even got lost trying to find the in-laws but they looked after us all incredibly well in what proved to be an especially busy time for them.

They've been great since other than I cant get then to swerve Frozen in favour of LFC or Star Wars....although they are aware of star wars as they call storm troopers stomperoos and Darth Vader stomperoos dad! Daft how happy that makes me.
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post

Oh, mate… what have you started?
    Hehehe -

On a personal level - kids wow -
    My 3 are more like friends now than anything else - the tantrums and competing with their friends when new stuff is over -
    my eldest is married now, and his wife is expecting their 2nd - up until last week I had my grand daughter ever monday afternoon and every other friday -
    Now thats a challenge Friday shopping with grand daughter and a disabled friend
    My middle one is in Oz now as a nurse
    And my youngest is off to Uni in September
    No trouble, all sorted and know what they want - which is a long way from 2003 - coz when my wife passed away I thought the family would disintegrate as she was the lynchpin....

grevsmoker is online now Academy prospect
    I have two boys. 4 1/2 and 1. Love them to bits but for me the most challenging part of it is the boredom. I find small children to be so insanely boring.

Quote Originally Posted by grevsmoker View Post
    I have two boys. 4 1/2 and 1. Love them to bits but for me the most challenging part of it is the boredom. I find small children to be so insanely boring.
    Can't say that's been my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by TattooedByAgger View Post
    Can't say that's been my experience.
    I envy you. I realize it's me and that it's my problem. Just something I have to work through.

lfcstlouis is offline Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    Join the club, I have almost 3 year old twin boys. Do you know what you are having yet?

I would recommend you find your local twins and multiples club on Facebook, they have been a fantastic source of support and information for us and we made some great friends out of it too as have the boys.

I'll just take this opportunity to big up the NHS staff who picked up that one of my twins was having trouble ( being crushed by his brother in the womb was picked up during a check up) and it took them as long as it took me to get to the hospital to get my wife in for an emergency c section. I've little idea what happened as I must have sleep walked through the whole thing and even got lost trying to find the in-laws but they looked after us all incredibly well in what proved to be an especially busy time for them.

They've been great since other than I cant get then to swerve Frozen in favour of LFC or Star Wars....although they are aware of star wars as they call storm troopers stomperoos and Darth Vader stomperoos dad! Daft how happy that makes me.
    One is a girl, the other we can't see just yet. We have another sonagraph scheduled tomorrow, so hopefully it's a boy My wife wants 2 girls....

My really good friend had twin boys about 9 months ago, but they live in Chicago about 5 hours from us, but are helping us prepare. We've seen some FB twins sites and such and agree with you that getting involved in them and having support/play dates etc is the way to go.

Be careful what you wish for, I got our 6 year old into Star Wars last year, and he won't stop. He is constantly humming the 2 main theme songs, every waking moment... I almost hate Star Wars now.

I envy you. I realize it's me and that it's my problem. Just something I have to work through.
    Aylesbury is your man - he is not the only one - they has some great threads for people to talk through their issues....

You don't even have to partake, until you are ready, just read them, something may stick.....

One is a girl, the other we can't see just yet. We have another sonagraph scheduled tomorrow, so hopefully it's a boy My wife wants 2 girls....

My really good friend had twin boys about 9 months ago, but they live in Chicago about 5 hours from us, but are helping us prepare. We've seen some FB twins sites and such and agree with you that getting involved in them and having support/play dates etc is the way to go.

Be careful what you wish for, I got our 6 year old into Star Wars last year, and he won't stop. He is constantly humming the 2 main theme songs, every waking moment... I almost hate Star Wars now.
    You might not want to let him see this...
    https://9to5toys.com/2017/07/25/radi...s-landspeeder/

Acumen is online now First team regular
    All of you are idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Acumen View Post
    All of you are idiots.
    I know you are but what am I?

kas74 is online now First team regular
    They don't entertain you by writing on the walls,weeing on the upholstery and making regular attempts to escape????

Acumen is online now First team regular
    I know you are but what am I?
    An idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Acumen View Post
    An idiot.
    I'm rubber and you're glue.

Mouldiogs is online now Wants a little line under his title
    Life without kids would be like having a bath with no water. I've got 3 and just couldn't imagine life without them.

Quote Originally Posted by kas74 View Post
    They don't entertain you by writing on the walls,weeing on the upholstery and making regular attempts to escape????
    Oh they do all that stuff. Nonstop. I just don't find it particularly fun. They're good boys though.

kas74 is online now First team regular
    Oh they do all that stuff. Nonstop. I just don't find it particularly fun. They're good boys though.
    It's exhausting,my daughter's efforts to demolish the house left me in a heap on the floor most days.

Quote Originally Posted by kas74 View Post
    It's exhausting,my daughter's efforts to demolish the house left me in a heap on the floor most days.
    I know the feeling. How old is she?