Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017-18 Season - Pre-Match Press Conference Thread

1. #1 Default 2017-18 Season - Pre-Match Press Conference Thread 
    Set for Friday morning 10.00 am. Live from Melwood prior to leaving for the journey down south.

Trust we get some pertinent questions from the hacks, particularly the injury situation with our players.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Ottershaw View Post
    Set for Friday morning 10.00 am. Live from Melwood prior to leaving for the journey down south.

Trust we get some pertinent questions from the hacks, particularly the injury situation with our players.
    I'm expecting some classic Klopp waffle in this one

Quote Originally Posted by BoDiddley View Post
    I'm expecting some classic Klopp waffle in this one
    Snacks are good PR,

LordJamieOfCarragher is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Re-named this thread so all pre-match PC's can be in one thread.

Press Conference time rescheduled for 11.00 am for anyone tuning in.

Can we watch this on the app or do we need to go to the website?

lonewolf kal is online now Boot Room insider
    12.55pm BST: Watch Gerrard's first U18s game live on LFCTV GO

6.30pm BST: Watch Swansea v LFC U23s live on LFCTV

gerrards first official game as boss this afternoon. :

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf kal View Post
    12.55pm BST: Watch Gerrard's first U18s game live on LFCTV GO

6.30pm BST: Watch Swansea v LFC U23s live on LFCTV

gerrards first official game as boss this afternoon. :
    They both today?!

Niiiiice

Quote Originally Posted by GiorgosCarraGoonies View Post
    They both today?!

Niiiiice
    yup. and after that presser i think its safe to say ings will be playing

JurgenBelieveUs is online now Academy prospect
    Has Jurgen's presser finished or not yet started!?

Here are the key points:

• Coutinho unavailable for Watford, neither is Sturridge.
    • Sturridge WILL be available for Hoffenheim.
    • Reds boss pleased with FSG backing - says their take on Coutinho is 100 percent clear.
    • Klopp excited about Salah potential.
    • There will be no ‘plan B’ signings - just ‘plan A’
    • Ings will play for U23s tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by JurgenBelieveUs View Post
    Has Jurgen's presser finished or not yet started!?
    Just finished

Key points - Coutinho never for sale, relationship with FSG all good, happy with current squad, no plan B plan C, the usual really.

Quote Originally Posted by LordJamieOfCarragher View Post
    Here are the key points:

• Reds boss pleased with FSG backing - says their take on Coutinho is 100 percent clear.
    and that is going ot go down like a lead balloon.

JurgenBelieveUs is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Firmino View Post
    Just finished

Key points - Coutinho never for sale, relationship with FSG all good, happy with current squad, no plan B plan C, the usual really.
    Ta.

Here are the key points:

The question I have related to the bold bit is whether Plan A refers to only Keita and VVD, or whether their are 2nd and maybe even 3rd choices (in said Plan A) should those two not materialise? If Plan A relates only to first choice acquisitions, then surely that means there will be no further signings (assuming neither Keita or VVD happen)?

TomHighwaysM16 is offline Academy prospect
    and that is going ot go down like a lead balloon.
    I actually don't understand supporters in this issue. It's normal that the better you are, players able to improve are fewer. Ok, I think there are more than 5 better central midfielders than what we have at the moment but I have to be honest, I don't know if they are available. Unfortunately, the trouble is that our recruitment too often bumps on the unavailable ones. It's a big issue.

Quote Originally Posted by grenny158 View Post
    The question I have related to the bold bit is whether Plan A refers to only Keita and VVD, or whether their are 2nd and maybe even 3rd choices (in said Plan A) should those two not materialise? If Plan A relates only to first choice acquisitions, then surely that means there will be no further signings (assuming neither Keita or VVD happen)?
    seems so. flip side is ofc any proper plan A's are for the improvement of the first team only - just like salah was..

I think that is just manager lingo. You can't label your player as plan B.
    It's like calling your wife plan B,because another cutie you would have married dumped you. How would she feel?

Here are the key points:

That's great news.

Quote Originally Posted by TomHighwaysM16 View Post
    I actually don't understand supporters in this issue. It's normal that the better you are, players able to improve are fewer. Ok, I think there are more than 5 better central midfielders than what we have at the moment but I have to be honest, I don't know if they are available. Unfortunately, the trouble is that our recruitment too often bumps on the unavailable ones. It's a big issue.
    i concur and lets be honest its something which should have been done a long, long time ago. i think when it comes to recruitment we as fans show a lot of naivety. the only criteria we look at is he costs x. the club has a far longer list to check against i would imagine.. ie: that guy mentioned on here who sufffers with the cold.. so stays in warmer climates.. we would never have considered that.

think its safer to say though that future transfers are going to be very specific to fulfill particular needs within the team. next one ofc is a replacement for coutinho and im sure that is well under way as we speak.. be interesting who is targeted.

seems so. flip side is ofc any proper plan A's are for the improvement of the first team only - just like salah was..
    It is completely inconceivable, irrational and frankly ********** up thinking to me that the only players in world football that can improve those first team CM and CB positions are Keita and VVD.

Nothing was more obvious to me last season then how we struggled after New Year due to losing players to AFCON or injury or loss of form .. and that was without being involved in the Champions League. How our transfer business can be completed after only signing one new first teamer and two additional squad players is utterly incomprehensible to me.

I can only imagine that Plan A includes other players aside from Keita and VVD .. the alternative is far too mind boggling for me to accept right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs He..eghhhh View Post
    I think that is just manager lingo. You can't label your player as plan B.
    It's like calling your wife plan B,because another cutie you would have married dumped you. How would she feel?
    Hahaha, you make a good point there TakaMrsHe...... I sincerely hope you are right.

i concur and lets be honest its something which should have been done a long, long time ago. i think when it comes to recruitment we as fans show a lot of naivety. the only criteria we look at is he costs x. the club has a far longer list to check against i would imagine.. ie: that guy mentioned on here who sufffers with the cold.. so stays in warmer climates.. we would never have considered that.

think its safer to say though that future transfers are going to be very specific to fulfill particular needs within the team. next one ofc is a replacement for coutinho and im sure that is well under way as we speak.. be interesting who is targeted.
    You talking about Seri,who suffers from some condition. I believe Arsenal were also linked. He would have been the ideal Keita alternative.

As it is,it's VVD and I don't know who else.

It is completely inconceivable, irrational and frankly ********** up thinking to me that the only players in world football that can improve those first team CM and CB positions are Keita and VVD.

Nothing was more obvious to me last season then how we struggled after New Year due to losing players to AFCON or injury or loss of form .. and that was without being involved in the Champions League. How our transfer business can be completed after only signing one new first teamer and two additional squad players is utterly incomprehensible to me.

I can only imagine that Plan A includes other players aside from Keita and VVD .. the alternative is far too mind boggling for me to accept right now.
    different point to what i was on about tbh mate. one thing i feel we tend to forget is people improve over time. look at coutinho for example how his game has changed since he has matured a bit.. as for others that can improve, ofc there are loads, how many fit what klopp wants or is actually available is quite another. tbh it also goes back to how he is building the team. buckle in mate its going to be one hell of a season.

TomHighwaysM16 is offline Academy prospect

Have to cast my doubt that we were being seriously linked and talking with other targets because the better they are, the more time it needs for other club to replace them. So I do think it might be only a tiny possibility of us getting VVD and that's about it, sadly. It will, very likely, be the squad we have right now as we speak.

What we need to hope for is one or two youngsters step up and remove someone from the 1st team, not so much in our attacking midfield and forward department, but more in midfield and defense. As much as doubtful people are about young players, just remember Coutinho when he came from Inter, and look at him now. It's what talent, quality manager and patience can do to a potential.

There is albeit one very serious doubt. Are youngsters that we target really that good or are we lying to ourselves? I guess we'll see about that this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs He..eghhhh View Post
    You talking about Seri,who suffers from some condition. I believe Arsenal were also linked. He would have been the ideal Keita alternative.

As it is,it's VVD and I don't know who else.
    cheers taka, just goes to show that we don't know as much as we think we do though. another example, some clubs simply refuse to deal with certain agents.. that cuts out a load of players also.

Despite my disappointment at the lack of summer activity, I actually agree with Klopp. I'd rather we sign no one at all, than buy distinctly average Premier League footballers for hugely inflated fees (it looks like Everton has taken that mantle from us), just because those deals are easy to complete. Nor do I want another Balotelli situation again. For the first time in years, we seem to have a settled squad, and have resisted overtures from one of football's apex predators for Coutinho (at least for a season). Somewhat counter-intuitively, clubs often have great seasons when they don't make many signings, see RM through their transfer ban. As far as alternatives for our primary targets are concerned, as fans we aren't aware of issues such as availability and affordability.

I don't think we'll fall apart if we don't sign anyone. I've seen enough from Klopp and the team to suggest we will be competitive until January, when we can go back for our main targets if they become available. It's obvious that we have an excellent front four, a passable midfield, and a leaky defence. Klopp is a smart coach, he can surely see our frailties as well as our strengths, but I trust him to fix them with or without new signings. There is also an opportunity in our lack of business for some. Our failure to sign players has opened up a small window for our youngsters to succeed. Solanke, for instance, has the chance to emulate Kane at Liverpool; it may not work out, but imagine if he turns out to be the real deal. Likewise, TAA, Woodburn, etc.

Most importantly, in the long run, we need to keep our talent. There should never be another Sterling or Suarez situation.

Quote Originally Posted by TomHighwaysM16 View Post
    Have to cast my doubt that we were being seriously linked and talking with other targets because the better they are, the more time it needs for other club to replace them. So I do think it might be only a tiny possibility of us getting VVD and that's about it, sadly. It will, very likely, be the squad we have right now as we speak.

What we need to hope for is one or two youngsters step up and remove someone from the 1st team, not so much in our attacking midfield and forward department, but more in midfield and defense. As much as doubtful people are about young players, just remember Coutinho when he came from Inter, and look at him now. It's what talent, quality manager and patience can do to a potential.

There is albeit one very serious doubt. Are youngsters that we target really that good or are we lying to ourselves? I guess we'll see about that this year.
    The thing about youngsters is that strategy is very hit and miss, Tom, as evidenced by our success ratio with that over the last few seasons .. buying top quality generally isn't - you know what you are getting in the majority of cases where you spend top $.

Quote Originally Posted by DiVockIsGoingOn View Post
    Despite my disappointment at the lack of summer activity, I actually agree with Klopp. I'd rather we sign no one at all, than buy distinctly average Premier League footballers for hugely inflated fees (it looks like Everton has taken that mantle from us), just because those deals are easy to complete. Nor do I want another Balotelli situation again. For the first time in years, we seem to have a settled squad, and have resisted overtures from one of football's apex predators for Coutinho (at least for a season). Somewhat counter-intuitively, clubs often have great seasons when they don't make many signings, see RM through their transfer ban. As far as alternatives for our primary targets are concerned, as fans we aren't aware of issues such as availability and affordability.

I don't think we'll fall apart if we don't sign anyone. I've seen enough from Klopp and the team to suggest we will be competitive until January, when we can go back for our main targets if they become available. It's obvious that we have an excellent front four, a passable midfield, and a leaky defence. Klopp is a smart coach, he can surely see our frailties as well as our strengths, but I trust him to fix them with or without new signings. There is also an opportunity in our lack of business for some. Our failure to sign players has opened up a small window for our youngsters to succeed. Solanke, for instance, has the chance to emulate Kane at Liverpool; it may not work out, but imagine if he turns out to be the real deal. Likewise, TAA, Woodburn, etc.

Most importantly, in the long run, we need to keep our talent. There should never be another Sterling or Suarez situation.
    Whilst I agree with a lot of what you are saying, you also have to ask another pressing question: What if Keita and VVD are unavailable to us in January or even next summer? Who do we target then, or do we again not buy because the players we really want are not available? Thing is there are a lot of quality CM's out there who people have recommended as alternatives to Keita - similarly, there are other quality CB's out there right now who could improve us greatly. I see no reason to be fixated on signing only Keita / VVD at the exclusion of all else.

I just do not see us having strong enough squad depth to compete on all fronts next season .. I hope I am wrong about that, but I don't think I am. Having said all this, there is still time for us to bring in additional quality in this window, so I will not be losing my **** until the window is done and dusted.

Klopp: "I am pleased for my agent because I'm the old horse in the stable and there is a young horse now in Nagelsmann."

Hoffenheim PC going on right now