Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Matip - Lovren partnership 19:1

Quote Originally Posted by TomHighwaysM16 View Post
    I had the luxury to watch Lovren play with Modrić and Rakitić. We had no problems like Liverpool have. Croatian national side simply didn't give the opposition that much possession, space and opportunities.

Carra is completely right. I will be perfectly honest and blame midfield for what we endure. We don't control games and don't work around the pressing game of average premier league team. When we start doing that, we will be on the next level.
    I agree with you that we do not control the game in midfield and this is often the catalyst for our defensive woes - but then again, it can't be too often that Croatia have to deal with teams that put a 6"4' bulldozer up front and bypass the midfield area with direct play looking for knock-downs and second balls - and that is the crux - lesser sides know the way to get at Liverpool is through pressing and direct play, and while better midfield players would help to retain possession, we would still have to face the same direct play because that is a hallmark of the Premier League..

Two things; We need better defenders - ones that do not buckle at the first sign of pressure.. and secondly, we need to change our captain - Henderson is clearly a nice guy but is just not forceful enough - Difficult to pick a new one though, Mane is the only real winner in the side, but he is a walking red card..
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

I actually thought we defended quite well yesterday with the exception of the second goal ( which was shambolic by the way )

Taa was solid through the game and good going forward too , always tried different things in attack and was nearly always back when he needed to be

Matip and lovren in open play were decent , point out a clear chance for them that they should have scored ? They would have scored a second goal earlier had it not bin for some great defending by lovren to stay with his man twisting and turning and eventually deflecting the shot off his heel.

I hate Moreno and he made one massive mistake and he needs replacing , hard to defend him for me

The problem is , was and always will be set pieces, bringing in one player won't solve that problem ( as carra also said )

I'm all for vvd to come and challenge our cbs for places but he won't sort out our set pieces defending , that's down to tactics.

If we defended our corners properly then we win that game 3-1, even with a shambolic moment for their second goal.

In open play lovren and matip did well , so calling for their head it's pointless , we have to sort out set piece defending or we it doesn't matter if we sign bonnuci and cheilnini , we will still concede goals

Fowi is online now Hall of Fame Resident and Top Poster Who Shook The Boards
    Our midfield consists of average midfielders from A to G. Hence the sum of its parts is average.

However, our 1 on 1 defending is poor too. When you can't deal with crosses either from open play or corners then that isn't down to the midfield.

I agree with the op that you can't fix the Liverpool problem with one centreback, but nor do I think that the defenders we have are good enough.

Gaz Cowp is offline Armchair supporter
    Definitely think our defensive style of play is more to blame than the individuals... however there is lots of room for improvement. Our pressing and passing game has as much to do with conceding as straight up defending. Last season when our pressing and passing was on song we barely conceded an opportunity to the oppo.. however we would often still concede! Usually due to either a counter ( which would of been helped by better def quality esp keeper) or set piece as we all are aware is down to set up issues and lack of size/heading quality. Just go man marking ffs. It couldn't be worse!

Get a new CB and DM and play 3 at the back. We play far to expansive footy for 2 at the back and they are left very open.

New first team

Mig
    Matip. New CB. Lovren

TAA. New DM. Moreno

Emre
    Salah. Mane
    Firm

3-4-3

TomHighwaysM16 is online now Academy prospect
    I've seen the stats from yesterday. Ball was in our third 30% of the game, we allowed 15 crosses and got bombed by 84 long balls.

City on the other hand allowed only 16% of the game to be in their third and only 8 crosses.

Just look at the average players position graphics after both games and you'll see how much Brighton were being pushed back (their forward players were on center of the pitch!).

Now this can happen to our CB not winning aerial duels often enough or our midfield losing the ball very often or our midfield not recycling second ball often enough. I can't find the exact statistics for that publicly but my naked eye would say it's lack of possession and recycling. Apart Can, other midfield players are very easy to work around, not particularly good at one vs one situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Indian-Red View Post
    Stats are like mini skirts....they reveal a lot but hide whats most important.

Very good.

JurgenBelieveUs is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by TomHighwaysM16 View Post
    Now this can happen to our CB not winning aerial duels often enough or our midfield losing the ball very often or our midfield not recycling second ball often enough. I can't find the exact statistics for that publicly but my naked eye would say it's lack of possession and recycling. Apart Can, other midfield players are very easy to work around, not particularly good at one vs one situations.
    Big problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Indian-Red View Post
    Stats are like mini skirts....they reveal a lot but hide whats most important.

Very good

Defending isn't about 2 players. Signing VVD won't change the fact that Liverpool as a unit cannot defend certain situations. A corner was as good as a penalty for Watford yesterday. That's not because of our CBs but because of the team as a whole, including the manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Collard Greens View Post
    -Need more possession and dominance in the midfield to play this style of footy.
    Otherwise you'll just be pressing and chasing all game.

-Also, you need a great CDM, who protects that back 4. There is much more going on than just the individual defenders we have currently.
    We need a double pivot, a la Chelsea last season with one ball winner (a la Kante) and one midfielder doing the screening (a la Matic). This would allow Coutinho (if he stays) to have a free role in midfield as a hybrid #8/#10 as he can drop as deep as he likes and go forward as far as he likes like Fabregas can do for Chelsea - only being better in every way than Fabregas.