Notices
Closed Thread

Thread: Cultural Differences

1. #1 Default Cultural Differences 
    aylesbyred is online now Boot Room insider
    Hi folks

I've read a fair bit of stuff down the years and I see a lot of posts in the forums where a poster clearly is from another part of the world and often misunderstood or shot down because of how they post.

I think there are cultural differences in the forums and understanding cultures is important, it's the same with age; a poster of 12,13,14 will post much differently than a poster of 30,40 etc - sometimes I see posters shot down as they may post more simplistically than others.

So perhaps it would be useful to have a flag or symbol or just the name of the country where everybody is from next the posters name, maybe the age is going too far I dunno but I'm interested to know where people are from anyway.

Cheers
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    Hi folks

I've read a fair bit of stuff down the years and I see a lot of posts in the forums where a poster clearly is from another part of the world and often misunderstood or shot down because of how they post.

I think there are cultural differences in the forums and understanding cultures is important, it's the same with age; a poster of 12,13,14 will post much differently than a poster of 30,40 etc - sometimes I see posters shot down as they may post more simplistically than others.

So perhaps it would be useful to have a flag or symbol or just the name of the country where everybody is from next the posters name, maybe the age is going too far I dunno but I'm interested to know where people are from anyway.

Cheers
    some may not have the proper grammer, even if they were taught in English. I think we should take time to re-read their posts instead of judging or making silly insults. No need for Nationality symbols.

Hi folks

Cheers
    Ayles… there's a couple of threads about the place, where posters introduce themselves, where they're living, and all that sort of bumf.

The flag is not such a bad idea, for those who might wish to use it… some would prefer not to, I'm sure.

The Forum Admin would have to fork out for 'flags of all nations' symbols… does the budget run to such extravagance????

I think it's bad enough when people target others for weak English, misspellings etc, and the solution is to report it and the mods clamp down on it.

People do have the option not to read or respond to posts if they can't understand them, don't agree with them, dislike the poster etc, last thing we need is some effectively forcing people off the forums because they don't speak great English. Would a flag help? In theory yes, but shouldn't need a flag to differentiate besides which are you saying it is ok to pick on people because English is their first language and they still can't post clearly...............?!?!?

If people don't comprehend a post they should ask for clarification or move on, there's enough wrong conclusions drawn and reading between lines as it is where language isn't the issue...............

mods do a decent enough job mopping up, if someone is getting a hard time for the language in their posts they can and most likely will step in. I couldn't believe the nonsense in the match thread about "new signings" which I think was because of misspelling two players' names. I mean ffs, I could spend all day picking up on people misspelling our players' names if I were that small minded and bored.
    People will believe what they want to believe

aylesbyred is online now Boot Room insider
    Fair replies, just don't like seeing people shot down when it's clear they're overseas and perhaps post more simplistically and it wasn't a slant at the moderation in the forums either.

GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Fair replies, just don't like seeing people shot down when it's clear they're overseas and perhaps post more simplistically and it wasn't a slant at the moderation in the forums either.
    Posters should be treated with respect no matter where they are from...it really is as simple as that.
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.

Hmm, that is pretty interesting idea, I like it)

Hi folks

Cheers
    very good idea ayles
    Eagle Face Moron

Quote Originally Posted by GrottonRed View Post
    Posters should be treated with respect no matter where they are from...it really is as simple as that.
    they should but you get into a heated debate , it can cause break down in communication, i think its a good idea
    Eagle Face Moron

[...
    Last edited by GrottonRed; 8-10-17 at 09:35.