Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: International Break Football

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    I quite liked the convo, it allowed me to poke fun at the rugby, though I casually watch internationals. We lost our egg to Australia on Saturday, which is unusual for us to lose to a Southern Hemisphere team

Speaking of illegible, A man worked in a post office. His job was to process all mail that had illegible addresses. One day a letter came to his desk, addressed in a shaky handwriting to God.

He thought, 'I better open this one and see what it's all about.' So he opened it and it read:

'Dear God, I am an 83 year old widow living on a very small pension. Yesterday someone stole my purse. It had a hundred pounds in it which was all the money I had until my next pension cheque.

'Next Sunday is Easter, and I had invited two of my friends over for dinner. Without that money, I have nothing to buy food with.

'I have no family to turn to, and you are my only hope. Can you please help me?'

The postal worker was touched, and went around showing the letter to all the others. Each of them dug into his wallet and came up with a few pounds.

By the time he made the rounds, he had collected £96, which they put into an envelope and sent over to her. The rest of the day, all the workers felt a warm glow thinking of the nice thing they had done.

Easter came and went, and a few days later came another letter from the old lady to God. All the workers gathered around while the letter was opened. It read:

'Dear God, How can I ever thank you enough for what you did for me?

'Because of your generosity, I was able to fix a lovely dinner for my friends. We had a very nice day, and I told my friends of your wonderful gift.

'By the way, there was £4 missing. It was no doubt those thieving b*****s at the post office.'
    'Okey doke, we'll leave it there so'
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by S_7 View Post
    I’m sure there is a similar rule in football. Pretty sure Arteta could have played for England at one point.
    Think there was talk of Almunia being eligible too, and a potential call up.

Shows how desperate the keeping situation must've been back then!

Heard Dave Allen tell that joke on TV in about 1974..... A bigger joke are the International Friendlies and the fact that some of our more important players tend to get injured, but not so much other teams. I suppose that shows that our squad doesn't have enough depth.

Christ sake Mane injured AGAIN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thebeastyboy View Post
    Christ sake Mane injured AGAIN!!!
    Fingers crossed it's just some agreed tactic to allow him to come back without fuss. BUT, wouldn't surprise me if he's not available for Southampton, which would be a real downer.

These constant International breaks are killing this season ... momentum is always interrupted, and injuries are guaranteed ...

Quote Originally Posted by ponno View Post
    Heard Dave Allen tell that joke on TV in about 1974..... A bigger joke are the International Friendlies and the fact that some of our more important players tend to get injured, but not so much other teams. I suppose that shows that our squad doesn't have enough depth.
    Yes he stole it from me in 1973, I was -5 years of age, always been ahead of my time

Quote Originally Posted by livrule View Post
    Fingers crossed it's just some agreed tactic to allow him to come back without fuss. BUT, wouldn't surprise me if he's not available for Southampton, which would be a real downer.

These constant International breaks are killing this season ... momentum is always interrupted, and injuries are guaranteed ...
    And Southampton are guaranteed to come to Anfield & park their bus....we need our best attacking players fit

Quote Originally Posted by Shed View Post
    You know, I read that, and the only thing I think - "**** he's actually playing, and he may get injured again"
    Really just **** international football. It's time for clubs to stand up to this nonsense.

Massive game coming soon.

Part of me wanted Italy to be in the finals for Buffon sake.

had a chuckle when Italy didn't make it. Should have played Mario

So Italy are out - another dour 0-0 - these 2nd legs are not helping peoples hatred of international football, so far all 3, 2nd legs have been 0-0

Today we have

FIFA - WC Qualifiers Africa 2015-2017 - Group D
    19:30 Burkina Faso - Cape Verde
    19:30 Senegal - South Africa

FIFA - WC Qualifiers Play-offs 2017 - Matches
    19:45 Ireland - Denmark

FIFA - Friendlies 2017 - November
    11:00 South Korea - Serbia
    11:35 China - Colombia
    13:00 UA Emirates - Uzbekistan
    14:00 Gabon - Botswana
    16:30 Qatar - Iceland
    16:30 Argentina - Nigeria
    17:00 Slovakia - Norway
    18:45 Russia - Spain
    19:00 Romania - Netherlands
    19:15 Hungary - Costa Rica
    19:30 Algeria - Central Afr. Republic
    19:45 Austria - Uruguay
    19:45 Germany - France
    19:45 Belgium - Japan
    19:45 Wales - Panama
    20:00 England - Brazil
    20:45 Portugal - USA
    23:30 Trinidad & Tobago - Guyana

No Italy, Holland, Chile, Ivory Coast or USA in the next World Cup.

Iíd say the main contenders to win it:

Germany
    Spain
    France
    Argentina
    Brazil
    Maybe Belgium but they always seem to be individuals not a team.

Quote Originally Posted by sgRED View Post
    Massive game coming soon.

Part of me wanted Italy to be in the finals for Buffon sake.

Missed out on the World Cup finals for the first time in 60 years.Suddenly Netherlands missing is not the biggest surprise of the World Cup.

No Italy, Holland, Chile, Ivory Coast or USA in the next World Cup.

I’d say the main contenders to win it:

Germany
    Spain
    France
    Argentina
    Brazil
    Maybe Belgium but they always seem to be individuals not a team.
    that's my pick

Quote Originally Posted by IDREAMOFGINI View Post
    that's my pick
    Might be a bit young and inexperienced at the moment though. But their team is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by IDREAMOFGINI View Post
    that's my pick
    Best squad, but they still struggle to play with any fluency whatsoever

Might be a bit young and inexperienced at the moment though. But their team is amazing.
    They've got a good balance of youth and experienced players (like Germany). Game between France and Germany will be good tonight, along with England v Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by Anil_Y2j View Post
    Missed out on the World Cup finals for the first time in 60 years.Suddenly Netherlands missing is not the biggest surprise of the World Cup.
    Netherlands have been poor for a period of time which is not a surprise to me.

Italy, on the other hand, is still quite a solid team till that old uncle took charge and become 💩.

Quote Originally Posted by sgRED View Post
    Netherlands have been poor for a period of time which is not a surprise to me.

Italy, on the other hand, is still quite a solid team till that old uncle took charge and become ��.
    Italy are one of those sides it is a surprise and disappointment to see missing from finals, and there aren't many.

It is disappointing Holland didn't do better, but maybe their highs from the 70s, late 80s and decent shows since are so well remembered that few appreciate they can be inconsistent.

Between and including 1982 to 2018 England have failed to qualify three times (1984, 1994 and 2008) whilst Holland missed out in 1982, 1984, 1986, 2002, 2016 and now 2018. In fact before 1974 their record is almost a non entity.

But their record is pretty good from 1974 to 2014 :

Champions x1 : 1988 (Euros)
    Runners-up x3 : 1974, 1978, 2010 (World Cup)
    3rd Place x2 : 1976 (Euros), 2014 (World Cup)
    4th Place x1 : 1998 (World Cup)

Semi-finals* x3 : 1992, 2000, 2004 (Euros)

*stopped doing placings in Euros so essentially equivalent to 3rd or 4th. England in that time managed what, semis in 1996 and 4th in 1990 despite qualifying more regularly than Holland.

Would take Italy and Holland over some of the sides who did qualify in a heartbeat. Might be a few shocks in among them perhaps, but who is truly inspired or going to get excited about Iceland, Poland, Switzerland, Serbia, and some of the other European and ROW sides......? Holland did more in only a handful of tournaments than a fair few combined EVER.......... We can look at the underdogs and think maybe someone will do a Greece, but frankly that wasn't exactly pretty and I'd say no thanks to too many competitions being won like that. If I had to grind away results in a less than free flowing fashion on a football simulation I'd not bother
    People will believe what they want to believe

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Italy are one of those sides it is a surprise and disappointment to see missing from finals, and there aren't many.

It is disappointing Holland didn't do better, but maybe their highs from the 70s, late 80s and decent shows since are so well remembered that few appreciate they can be inconsistent.

Between and including 1982 to 2018 England have failed to qualify three times (1984, 1994 and 2008) whilst Holland missed out in 1982, 1984, 1986, 2002, 2016 and now 2018. In fact before 1974 their record is almost a non entity.

But their record is pretty good from 1974 to 2014 :

Champions x1 : 1988 (Euros)
    Runners-up x3 : 1974, 1978, 2010 (World Cup)
    3rd Place x2 : 1976 (Euros), 2014 (World Cup)
    4th Place x1 : 1998 (World Cup)

Semi-finals* x3 : 1992, 2000, 2004 (Euros)

*stopped doing placings in Euros so essentially equivalent to 3rd or 4th. England in that time managed what, semis in 1996 and 4th in 1990 despite qualifying more regularly than Holland.

Would take Italy and Holland over some of the sides who did qualify in a heartbeat. Might be a few shocks in among them perhaps, but who is truly inspired or going to get excited about Iceland, Poland, Switzerland, Serbia, and some of the other European and ROW sides......? Holland did more in only a handful of tournaments than a fair few combined EVER.......... We can look at the underdogs and think maybe someone will do a Greece, but frankly that wasn't exactly pretty and I'd say no thanks to too many competitions being won like that. If I had to grind away results in a less than free flowing fashion on a football simulation I'd not bother
    That old man completely destroyed what Conte had built. The football they dished out is beyond boring and stale. That's remind me of our football under the last few months of BR.

Even last night when they needed to win, they never show any impetus, initiative and urgency which mirror to the dark months under RH.

By what De Rossi had said after the match, I'm surprised that he did not throw a water bottle at the old man.

Holland, as always, ride on their Gullit, Rijak and Van Basten past, thinking they could easily go to the Finals and self-implode for entertainment purposes.

I'm actually quite impressed by Serbia. At least they tried to play proper football unlike Italy. Not surprise if they can go a bit far.

dont know what to watch. ireland or brazil game

Quote Originally Posted by johnj147 View Post
    dont know what to watch. ireland or brazil game
    Watch Belgium match.

GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Wales...Woodburn and Ward start
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.

Rep of Ireland have scored 1-0

1 nil ireland

canuck33 is online now You can call me Fred
    Austria 1-0 Uruguay

Mouldiogs is online now Wants a little line under his title
    Quote Originally Posted by GrottonRed View Post
    Wales...Woodburn and Ward start
    Excellent.

canuck33 is online now You can call me Fred
    Austria 1-1 Uruguay

Congrats to Denmark, shame for Ireland but from a football perspective, they would have been absolutely awful to watch at a major tournament.