Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: Official - LFC sign Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Quote Originally Posted by FSG-VanBasten View Post
    Yes because we bought ox only for the first two months of the season and that's it...

No he's not signed a five year deal. No this is not a player that has had numerous injury problems in his 6 years at arsenal.

So much nonsense it's unbelievable.
    Ok thank you now I understand the logic
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by BeautifulHistory View Post
    Ok thank you now I understand the logic
    I don't see why it was so hard to understand.

New player comes in
    Off form
    Used to a very different style
    Terrible injury record to date
    Signed for the long term not a 35yr old like ibrahimovich!

Please forgive klopp for handling him with care!

I don't see why it was so hard to understand.

New player comes in
    Off form
    Used to a very different style
    Terrible injury record to date
    Signed for the long term not a 35yr old like ibrahimovich!

Please forgive klopp for handling him with care!
    Yep I can see I can see the logic buy players and never played them

Quote Originally Posted by BeautifulHistory View Post
    Yep I can see I can see the logic buy players and never played them
    Really? I thought ox played and scored last game. Looked like he's settling in really well after his poor performances for arsenal and England.

Yep, terrible player care by klopp! Hahaha

"It's never easy coming into a new team with as much quality as we've got here. It takes time to settle in and learn a new formation and style of play,"
    - the ox

Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    Some mixed feelings about the signing - but absolutely love the fact that we've totally stuck it to both Arsenal and Chelsea with a single blow. And if he really has accepted a MUCH smaller offer to come here, even better.

Fair enough that may have been a personal decision but I still think it's significant of our status now.

VVD apparently chose us over similar rivals, Keita signed 12 months early despite his rising status that could have seen any number of clubs chasing his signature next year...it all points to us becoming much more of a serious player in the market.
    If Klopp and Liverpool hadn't been as stubborn with Keita as they were and reached a compromise with Leipzig, I'm 200% convinced he would be a Bayern Munich player by August 2018. Sometimes patience is a virtue. Ralf Rangnack said Liverpool have got themselves a real bargain and he'll only get better.

Ox will be determined to prove he's not a journeyman, or someone who is just able to play various positions. I will be interested to see how many minutes Oxlaide plays compared to Emre Can overall at the end of the season as an indicator of team management, whether JK has done a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by BLiddellGreates View Post
    Ox will be determined to prove he's not a journeyman, or someone who is just able to play various positions. I will be interested to see how many minutes Oxlaide plays compared to Emre Can overall at the end of the season as an indicator of team management, whether JK has done a good job.
    I think you should research the terms you use in future. The ox cannot be considered 'a journeyman' at the moment. Why? He joined Arsenal in his late teens and spent a number of years there before joining us.

A "journeyman" is someone like Robbie Keane who had more clubs than Nick Faldo.

TattooedByAgger is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloppsstars View Post
    I think you should research the terms you use in future. The ox cannot be considered 'a journeyman' at the moment. Why? He joined Arsenal in his late teens and spent a number of years there before joining us.

Oh, the irony. I'd say his usage of the term fits the definition just fine. The term has nothing to do with traveling or playing for many clubs, even if it is incorrectly used that way.

"A worker or sports player who is reliable but not outstanding."
    https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by TattooedByAgger View Post
    Oh, the irony. I'd say his usage of the term fits the definition just fine. The term has nothing to do with traveling or playing for many clubs, even if it is incorrectly used that way.

"A worker or sports player who is reliable but not outstanding."
    https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/journeyman
    In Britain, the term is used to define a player who has played for numerous clubs.

well.. he also played for southampton our next opponent

TattooedByAgger is online now Academy prospect
    In Britain, the term is used to define a player who has played for numerous clubs.
    I am aware it is used in that fashion. My point was more about someone arrogantly telling another poster they should be more familiar with a definition of a word, when there was nothing wrong with the original usage—even it does not lineup with the common practice in the sports world (in the US as well). And feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, but my understanding is that this common practice is based originally on a misuse of the word in the first place, even if now accepted. Either way, Kloppsstars was actually showing he has not researched the word; hence, the irony comment from me.

Quote Originally Posted by TattooedByAgger View Post
    I am aware it is used in that fashion. My point was more about someone arrogantly telling another poster they should be more familiar with a definition of a word, when there was nothing wrong with the original usage—even it does not lineup with the common practice in the sports world (in the US as well). And feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, but my understanding is that this common practice is based originally on a misuse of the word in the first place, even if now accepted. Either way, Kloppsstars was actually showing he has not researched the word; hence, the irony comment from me.
    The term is used elsewhere (such as in British and Australian contexts) to refer to a professional sportsman who plays for a large number of different clubs during their career.

I don't think it's a 'misuse' of the word. It has a different meaning here than in the states.

The term is used elsewhere (such as in British and Australian contexts) to refer to a professional sportsman who plays for a large number of different clubs during their career.

I don't think it's a 'misuse' of the word. It has a different meaning here than in the states.
    It was misused as the general meaning of 'Journeyman' is someone that has played for a large number of clubs. Therefore Robbie Keane is a 'journeyman', he's had more clubs than Nick Faldo. The Ox certainly isn't.

It was misused as the general meaning of 'Journeyman' is someone that has played for a large number of clubs. Therefore Robbie Keane is a 'journeyman', he's had more clubs than Nick Faldo. The Ox certainly isn't.
    The key aspect of the term 'journeyman' is age imo, because they’ve proved their ceiling over time, they’re solid but unspectacular- Ox is neither solid nor unspectacular, in fact, if anything, he’s the opposite of that. He just turned 24 in August too, so calling him a journeyman is ridiculous on every leg. He may become one, but that’s another matter.

James Milner is a journeyman.
    'Okey doke, we'll leave it there so'

Quote Originally Posted by RedHed2 View Post
    The key aspect of the term 'journeyman' is age imo, because theyíve proved their ceiling over time, theyíre solid but unspectacular- Ox is neither solid nor unspectacular, in fact, if anything, heís the opposite of that. He just turned 24 in August too, so calling him a journeyman is ridiculous on every leg. He may become one, but thatís another matter.

James Milner would be an ideal example. He's had 6 clubs. Daniel Sturridge is getting very close to it. He's been at City, Chelsea and Liverpool already?

The key aspect of the term 'journeyman' is age imo, because they’ve proved their ceiling over time, they’re solid but unspectacular- Ox is neither solid nor unspectacular, in fact, if anything, he’s the opposite of that. He just turned 24 in August too, so calling him a journeyman is ridiculous on every leg. He may become one, but that’s another matter.

Fair enough comment.. Milner is now a 'been there - done that' bloke… will take on just about any position that's asked of him, and do at least an adequate job of it. Journeyman stuff.

James Milner would be an ideal example. He's had 6 clubs. Daniel Sturridge is getting very close to it. He's been at City, Chelsea and Liverpool already?
    No way on Sturridge, he’s been too good.

He’s the polar opposite of solid and unspectacular.

I think you're putting too much emphasis on the amount of clubs tbh, it’s more about their style of play/what you can expect from them in performance.

No way on Sturridge, he’s been too good.

He’s the polar opposite of solid and unspectacular.

I think you're putting too much emphasis on the amount of clubs tbh, it’s more about their style of play/what you can expect from them in performance.
    Well that's the definition of 'journeyman'. That's what the term means. Robbie Keane was neither solid unspectacular, but he was a journeyman due to as i've said having more clubs than Nick Faldo. Peter Crouch is a journeyman for similar reasons.

Well that's the definition of 'journeyman'. That's what the term means. Robbie Keane was neither solid unspectacular, but he was a journeyman due to as i've said having more clubs than Nick Faldo. Peter Crouch is a journeyman for similar reasons.
    Journeyman could be confused with Mercenary.

By which I mean a person for hire by dint of his skills, not in an avaricious sense.

It’s not about how many clubs a player has played for, it’s about their level of performance. Saying Daniel Sturridge is close to being a journeyman shows the flaw in your logic.

Seeing as you keep referencing golf, there are plenty of journeymen pros who’ve spent their lives on basically one tour, and made a very decent living without ever winning a tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post

By which I mean a person for hire by dint of his skills, not in an avaricious sense.
    I was just looking at some different names off the top of my head- Gasgoigne and Drogba both played for 9 different teams and would never be described as journeymen. Crouch has only 3 more teams than them.

Itís not about how many clubs a player has played for, itís about their level of performance. Saying Daniel Sturridge is close to being a journeyman shows the flaw in your logic.

Seeing as you keep referencing golf, there are plenty of journeymen pros whoíve spent their lives on basically one tour, and made a very decent living without ever winning a tournament.
    Basically a experienced, competent but routine player who has played for many teams is a one who can be called a journeyman.Someone like sturridge cannot be classified as one.

Quote Originally Posted by Anil_Y2j View Post
    Basically a experienced, competent but routine player who has played for many teams is a one who can be called a journeyman.Someone like sturridge cannot be classified as one.
    That’s the key really, the number of teams they’ve played for varies considerably. Journeyman isn’t a football specific term, so isn’t defined by the structure of the sport.

To get back on topic, Ox is not a journeyman.

Quote Originally Posted by Anil_Y2j View Post
    There are plenty of 'journeymen' managers, too.

One could call the likes of Sam, 'Arry, simply 'Jobbers.'

Thatís the key really, the number of teams theyíve played for varies considerably. Journeyman isnít a football specific term, so isnít defined by the structure of the sport.

To get back on topic, Ox is not a journeyman.
    Is he not? At least a bit?

6 or 7 years at Arsenal without ever truly nailing down a position, never mind fully establishing himself in the first team. Always trusted to 'do a job' but not really relied on to any great extent. Still very early days, but at this point he seems to have taken a similar role here.

Granted though, he's still on the young side to be a proper journeyman - that's usually a label attached to players who've been around a fair bit longer when arguably Ox has yet to reach his peak.

Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post

exactly despite 2 goals and some good appearances if he's not a journeyman he's certainly on his way to becoming one, that's partly what I mean. Considering the 35-40 mil slightly underwhelming so far, mainly according to other clubs supporters. keane's experience and career at tottenham was good even returning to them when he departed merseyside.

It's time Chamberlain got his finger out and FOCUSED. He's been getting away with murder for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Polymath View Post
    It's time Chamberlain got his finger out and FOCUSED. He's been getting away with murder for years.
    That can't be true....