Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: Official - LFC sign Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    I think Lallana's injury was one of the main reasons we jumped in for Ox this summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloppsstars View Post
    It might have had to do with rhe fact that we needed an additional midfielder having sold two in the summer. It may also have something to do with increasing the "home grown quota".
    Also, I think Alex is going to be a much better buy for us long-term than Lallana has been.

Lallana is a glorified squaddie, in an ideal world. He's really only hit a patch of genuinely great form for about 4 months. Otherwise, he's varied from good to useless to injury-prone to crucial presser etc. However, he'll be great for our bench/options.

I genuinely think Oxlade-Chamberlain will prove to be far more useful, consistent and versatile over the next 3 years. I don't think he'll ever be a world class player, but I suspect he'll be a real upgrade on Lallana. But let's see.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by JesalTV View Post
    Also, I think Alex is going to be a much better buy for us long-term than Lallana has been.

Lallana is a glorified squaddie, in an ideal world. He's really only hit a patch of genuinely great form for about 4 months. Otherwise, he's varied from good to useless to injury-prone to crucial presser etc. However, he'll be great for our bench/options.

I genuinely think Oxlade-Chamberlain will prove to be far more useful, consistent and versatile over the next 3 years. I don't think he'll ever be a world class player, but I suspect he'll be a real upgrade on Lallana. But let's see.
    Absurdly harsh that really

He changed his role, but some will look at a few numbers/stats and those alone, his importance to the team was there for all to see I think in terms of how we played when he is on the pitch. We used the ball far better from midfield with him, the movement is generally better with him there instead of the plodding and side to side passing we get annoyed about, and he doesn't just press well individually, he seemed to genuinely lead the press from midfield which gave us a more organised feel with us doing it in numbers and properly.

It tends to be more a few forum fans on here with slight grudges for Lallana from when he arrived that haven't moved on. In the wider football world for the last 2 years most it strikes me acknowledged his performances for club and country.

Still, the injuries with him are a nightmare

Lallane looks more muscular up top than he used to. It may be next year before we see the best of him again.

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post

He changed his role, but some will look at a few numbers/stats and those alone, his importance to the team was there for all to see I think in terms of how we played when he is on the pitch. We used the ball far better from midfield with him, the movement is generally better with him there instead of the plodding and side to side passing we get annoyed about, and he doesn't just press well individually, he seemed to genuinely lead the press from midfield which gave us a more organised feel with us doing it in numbers and properly.

It tends to be more a few forum fans on here with slight grudges for Lallana from when he arrived that haven't moved on. In the wider football world for the last 2 years most it strikes me acknowledged his performances for club and country.

See, this is the thing with Liverpool fans. We never agree on anything (which is fine) but what upsets me is allowing our standards to drop.

Lallana is actually a brilliant presser. He worked well under Poch (albeit with few tracking back responsibilities and two DMs behind him) and he adapted well to what Klopp wanted. That's great. But hey, frankly Jordan Henderson is a brilliant presser higher up the pitch too.

He's not a brilliant goalscorer. He's not a brilliant creator. He's decent, yes. Solid, even. But you could find any number of players around that can do those things far better than him. He never gets double figures in terms of goals (except one season where he was taking penalties). He's really not the best for assists either. He's taken ages to actually stop dithering on the ball, to improve his decision-making.

But these aren't grudges, this is just cold hard facts. His productivity isn't great. But is he good enough to sit on the bench? To play 20 games a season for us as a squaddie? Yes, absolutely. That's how you have real depth.

People remember the odd iconic moment from him (that last minute goal against Norwich etc) or they remember his great period from August 2016 to November 2016 and think that's who he is. No, these are outlier moments from him. He's a hard-working, sometimes clever player who is incredibly lucky to be at a club as big as Liverpool.

Is this harsh? I dunno, is it harsh to wonder how Migs has played so many games for us? Or how Henderson is our captain? Or how Lovren is still at the club? We've accepted mediocrity by hoping players magically transform. Hope is not a strategy, just get better players.

Quote Originally Posted by JesalTV View Post
    See, this is the thing with Liverpool fans. We never agree on anything (which is fine) but what upsets me is allowing our standards to drop.

Lallana is actually a brilliant presser. He worked well under Poch (albeit with few tracking back responsibilities and two DMs behind him) and he adapted well to what Klopp wanted. That's great. But hey, frankly Jordan Henderson is a brilliant presser higher up the pitch too.

He's not a brilliant goalscorer. He's not a brilliant creator. He's decent, yes. Solid, even. But you could find any number of players around that can do those things far better than him. He never gets double figures in terms of goals (except one season where he was taking penalties). He's really not the best for assists either. He's taken ages to actually stop dithering on the ball, to improve his decision-making.
    But these aren't grudges, this is just cold hard facts. His productivity isn't great. But is he good enough to sit on the bench? To play 20 games a season for us as a squaddie? Yes, absolutely. That's how you have real depth.

People remember the odd iconic moment from him (that last minute goal against Norwich etc) or they remember his great period from August 2016 to November 2016 and think that's who he is. No, these are outlier moments from him. He's a hard-working, sometimes clever player who is incredibly lucky to be at a club as big as Liverpool.

Is this harsh? I dunno, is it harsh to wonder how Migs has played so many games for us? Or how Henderson is our captain? Or how Lovren is still at the club? We've accepted mediocrity by hoping players magically transform. Hope is not a strategy, just get better players.
    Well look, this is just cliché riddled stuff that has very little to do with Adam Lallana in isolation.

Its tiresome too when a fan rates a player to suggest its because 'standards have dropped.'

Like I say, the wider football world has appreciated him for a couple of years now at both club and international level.

I've already stated what I believe he does and adds, numbers alone don't cover it, your reply has added very little to the conversation in my view or enough at least for me to work with

People complain regularly about our midfield, well its dramatically enhanced when is playing in there.

In an ideal world our entire XI would be 'squaddies' because we have a dream team....where do you draw the line with that view exactly

Agreed. Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by IDREAMOFGINI View Post
    Lallane looks more muscular up top than he used to. It may be next year before we see the best of him again.
    He’ll be 34 next year...

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPoolStark View Post
    He’ll be 34 next year...
    Darn it time is flying fast, footballers age 4 years quicker per year

Or in the case of Jonjo Shelvey, when he was 18 he was actually 48 already, bald and with a middle aged spread

Similar with John Terry, in the football world he's a 36/37 year old centre back, looking at him he's a 70 year old widower called Mable

Finally Dirk Kuyt, forever young footballer, but is actually Rutger Hauer's older sister with pot noodles thrown on her head

He’ll be 34 next year...
    He's 29 now.

It seemed that way because he did. Klopp called him his weapon up top and the first to trigger the press, everyone else took their cues from Lallana.

Or in the case of Jonjo Shelvey, when he was 18 he was actually 48 already, bald and with a middle aged spread

Similar with John Terry, in the football world he's a 36/37 year old centre back, looking at him he's a 70 year old widower called Mable

Finally Dirk Kuyt, forever young footballer, but is actually Rutger Hauer's older sister with pot noodles thrown on her head

Hahahaaaaha

Get Shelvey a Pot Noodle!

He’ll be 34 next year...
    What? At that speed, he'll catch up to me!!!

predicting a good winter

fredthecamel is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by BLiddellGreates View Post
    predicting a good winter
    wondering what the long term plan is for ox. seem to doubt klopp would spend 40 m on him last summer when he could have gotten him for nought this summer if he didnt have a plan for him

i wonder if its to have him ready and integrated in the club as a direct no 8 replacement for coutinho in the event of coutinho leaving this coming summer.

and then perhaps alongside keita ahead of a dm we d have our new midfield ready and raring to go .

not saying he wont sign a coutinho replacement this smmer also but bedding in keita and another in one go might not allow us to hit the ground running next season but a bedded in oxlade might. of course he can always be used in a variety of roles, wide wingback and midfield until he gains more confidence in playin the new midfield 8 role.

i think there is a player in ox it just has to be nurtured and confidence brought out in him. he has skills on the ball , he has vision, he can run with it just feel he s lacking a little confidence with himself within the team but that will come with time the more he settles

Yep, it's clear that he has the skill but not the confidence. That cross into the box was sumptuous. He works hard for the team and very direct when he needs to be.

Clearly we needed him to cover for others on the wing, so it was a necessary buy in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanBro View Post
    Yep, it's clear that he has the skill but not the confidence. That cross into the box was sumptuous. He works hard for the team and very direct when he needs to be.

Clearly we needed him to cover for others on the wing, so it was a necessary buy in the end.
    i think with him its a confidence thing too. it ll come the more comfy he feels in his surrounding and role within the squad.

he didnt spend 40 million on him for no reason

Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    i think with him its a confidence thing too. it ll come the more comfy he feels in his surrounding and role within the squad.

he didnt spend 40 million on him for no reason
    I believe it's still too early to judge the Ox. I believe that just like Gini Winjaldum last season, that in the first half of the season he was a cog in the machine. In the second half he's going to be behind the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Kloppsstars View Post
    I believe it's still too early to judge the Ox. I believe that just like Gini Winjaldum last season, that in the first half of the season he was a cog in the machine. In the second half he's going to be behind the wheel.
    abslutely think tis too early to judge him.. just trying to see how klopp views him going forward,. i doubt he d splash 40 m on a substitute, he must have a plan for him. he must see a more important future for him than merely filling in for our wide men