Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 799

Thread: Official - LFC sign Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

  1. #31  
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,644
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    132 league apps in six years is somewhat worrying, 21 a season............

    Also who is going to make way to fulfil his belief he'll start more here than at Chelsea........
    Very true all of this.
    loyal since 1960.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #32  
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    23,959
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    132 league apps in six years is somewhat worrying, 21 a season............

    Also who is going to make way to fulfil his belief he'll start more here than at Chelsea........
    Hard to know what to make of that exactly.

    That's more than 50%, which considering he signed as an 18 year old, and has spent a (in)decent amount of time on the treatment table, it's really not too bad - but you wonder, would he have played much more had he not been so often injured? Or did he only play as much as he did because Arsenal have so many other regular sicknotes?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #33  
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    215
    so if the Ox is to play in central mid, who is he supposed to be replacing as that is where he wants to play?

    IMO, we have paid £40m for a bench warmer...

    (apologies, i think this has been mentioned here already)
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #34  
    Jur-Gone is online now Previous username 'Klopp-OUT' just for reference
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,718
    Crouch
    Lambert
    Lallana
    Clyne
    Lovren
    Ox
    Mane
    VVD?

    We should just sign their scouting team and save a lot of money
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #35  
    raybarnes is online now Football Discussion Football Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    40,189
    Quote Originally Posted by morph314 View Post
    so if the Ox is to play in central mid, who is he supposed to be replacing as that is where he wants to play?

    IMO, we have paid £40m for a bench warmer...

    (apologies, i think this has been mentioned here already)
    Gini
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #36  
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Klopp-OUT View Post
    Crouch
    Lambert
    Lallana
    Clyne
    Lovren
    Ox
    Mane
    VVD?

    We should just sign their scouting team and save a lot of money
    Three more and they could play a game against our Legends for charity!
    loyal since 1960.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #37  
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Klopp-OUT View Post
    Crouch
    Lambert
    Lallana
    Clyne
    Lovren
    Ox
    Mane
    VVD?

    We should just sign their scouting team and save a lot of money
    This joke has been used about a thousand times already. Try a new one.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #38  
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    747
    Quote Originally Posted by raybarnes View Post
    Gini
    So do you see our midfield three being Can, Ox and Hendo right now?

    What about when Lallana comes back? What if Coutinho stays?

    Thoughts?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #39  
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    20,728
    Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    Hard to know what to make of that exactly.

    That's more than 50%, which considering he signed as an 18 year old, and has spent a (in)decent amount of time on the treatment table, it's really not too bad - but you wonder, would he have played much more had he not been so often injured? Or did he only play as much as he did because Arsenal have so many other regular sicknotes?
    More than 50%, but only just. Looking on wiki it is a few games of this season so is actually 129 across six seasons and therefore 21.5 average

    Probably to give some perspective and maybe help you reach a conclusion about what to make of it : Sturridge in his last six seasons = 126 league apps, not including 2 this (20+14+12+29+21+30) So only THREE less than the Ox, who has a lowest three totals of league apps in that period of 14, 16 and 22 (compared to 12, 14 and 20 for Sturridge)

    Practically nothing in it, spookily very similar number of England caps (Sturridge 25-27 Oxlade-Chamberlain)
    Last edited by TheDarknessIsCalling; 31-8-17 at 18:42. Reason: no idea why I thought it had been 21 per season (and so took off 0.5), perhaps read it somewhere
    People will believe what they want to believe
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #40  
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,114
    I think of him like Yossi; I know their play styles are different, but an impact player off the bench and occasional starter.

    We've been very thin as a squad, so this is a good addition.

    I think you just have to forget about the price, and say does he add some depth, and I think he does, particularly given the number of games we will have. the market has gone bonkers, and this is what a squad player costs.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #41  
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    20,728
    Quote Originally Posted by morph314 View Post
    so if the Ox is to play in central mid, who is he supposed to be replacing as that is where he wants to play?

    IMO, we have paid £40m for a bench warmer...

    (apologies, i think this has been mentioned here already)
    Well the contenders are Can, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Henderson surely, of those right at the top of the likely list that start. Not even sure all of them can start with a back five leaving three places if Firmino, Mane and Salah all start as a preferred attacking trio
    People will believe what they want to believe
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #42  
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    20,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed View Post
    I think of him like Yossi; I know their play styles are different, but an impact player off the bench and occasional starter.
    Maybe he thinks he can push into our team more than he could at Chelsea, whether he is fit enough and right about it remains to be seen

    Quote Originally Posted by Shed View Post
    I think you just have to forget about the price, and say does he add some depth, and I think he does, particularly given the number of games we will have. the market has gone bonkers, and this is what a squad player costs.
    hard to "forget about the price" when we need other areas addressing and not so much midfield, £40m could have been spent more wisely in a lot of people's books
    People will believe what they want to believe
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #43  
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    25,557
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Maybe he thinks he can push into our team more than he could at Chelsea, whether he is fit enough and right about it remains to be seen
    I think its highly likely had he gone to Chelsea he'd have played regularly - but at wing back

    Had he stayed at Arsenal he'd have played regularly - but at wing back.

    So I think he's come to us because he thinks/has been made to believe he'll play regularly and in in the position he prefers - midfield.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #44  
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    20,728
    Quote Originally Posted by robertretford View Post
    I think its highly likely had he gone to Chelsea he'd have played regularly - but at wing back

    Had he stayed at Arsenal he'd have played regularly - but at wing back.

    So I think he's come to us because he thinks/has been made to believe he'll play regularly and in in the position he prefers - midfield.
    You spoiled it, should have ended "wing back"

    Maybe he'll play when he's fit and Henderson/Lallana is injured, and they'll play when he is injured. A kind of injury rotation system
    People will believe what they want to believe
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #45  
    Warten Auf 19 is online now Another New User Name
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    16,237
    ...
    Last edited by GrottonRed; 31-8-17 at 18:48. Reason: use the appropriate thread...last warning
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #46  
    fredthecamel is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    41,934
    Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    Some mixed feelings about the signing - but absolutely love the fact that we've totally stuck it to both Arsenal and Chelsea with a single blow. And if he really has accepted a MUCH smaller offer to come here, even better.

    Fair enough that may have been a personal decision but I still think it's significant of our status now.

    VVD apparently chose us over similar rivals, Keita signed 12 months early despite his rising status that could have seen any number of clubs chasing his signature next year...it all points to us becoming much more of a serious player in the market.
    good point.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #47  
    fredthecamel is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    41,934
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Well the contenders are Can, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Henderson surely, of those right at the top of the likely list that start. Not even sure all of them can start with a back five leaving three places if Firmino, Mane and Salah all start as a preferred attacking trio
    do you think things might be frosty between phil and klopp for a bit and with lallana out ox will step straight in as an attacking 8/.?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #48  
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    9,340
    So he gets Lucas's shirt? He better respect it!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #49  
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,727
    Quote Originally Posted by morph314 View Post
    so if the Ox is to play in central mid, who is he supposed to be replacing as that is where he wants to play?

    IMO, we have paid £40m for a bench warmer...

    (apologies, i think this has been mentioned here already)
    Not as a 2 man midfield atm. Either side of Henderson would suit him fine or on either wing. Not much need for Lallana to drop into midfield much now
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #50  
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    20,728
    Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    do you think things might be frosty between phil and klopp for a bit and with lallana out ox will step straight in as an attacking 8/.?
    Really can't see Ox displacing any first choicers, not sure how Phil will get on after Barcelona fell through/didn't happen
    People will believe what they want to believe
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #51  
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Really can't see Ox displacing any first choicers, not sure how Phil will get on after Barcelona fell through/didn't happen

    I think it's really good planning for the (potential) losses of Coutinho and Can. As well as increasing the home grown contingent.

    Lallana is out for a while and who knows whether Coutinho will be back playing for us for very long - or if he will play at the same level for us as previously.

    Leaving us light on a rapid, hardworking, primarily offensive, dribbling midfielder (if that's what Klopp develops Oxlade Chamberlain into) - until Keita arrives next year.

    Grujic can't be feeling too delighted, I wouldn't think....
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #52  
    WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    33,570
    Quote Originally Posted by robertretford View Post
    I think its highly likely had he gone to Chelsea he'd have played regularly - but at wing back

    Had he stayed at Arsenal he'd have played regularly - but at wing back.

    So I think he's come to us because he thinks/has been made to believe he'll play regularly and in in the position he prefers - midfield.
    I don't think he'll have been guaranteed regular playing time in CM, but I certainly believe he'll have been promised chances in there and if he's good enough, he'll stay in the team. I think that's about all he could have hoped for from a 'big team', and hats off to him for taking that chance, for less money, than going elsewhere for more money and to continue playing out of position.

    He seems willing to take risks to progress in his prefered position, and I'm sure Klopp will give him the chances he craves. If he doesn't succeed, I'm sure he'll realise himself it's on him.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #53  
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1,358
    Refreshing to see a player with his feet firmly on the ground and so keen to play for this great club, give him Coutinho's no 10 shirt please. I really have high hopes for the OX.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #54  
    MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    39,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaneomax View Post
    Refreshing to see a player with his feet firmly on the ground and so keen to play for this great club, give him Coutinho's no 10 shirt please. I really have high hopes for the OX.
    Ox already has an ex Brazilian legends shirt, 21.
    The Normal One (Emlyn is in the house) - Est 1975
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #55  
    MishMasch is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    30,144
    Didn't think that Gini would excel in a MF role like a hes but i must say i'm skeptical about that too with AOC. We'll see i guess.

    I think if, and its a big IF he can stay injury free and he takes on board the work ethic and improves his positional sense then he can be very useful.

    Thats as positive as I can be about it.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #56  
    fredthecamel is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    41,934
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Maybe he thinks he can push into our team more than he could at Chelsea, whether he is fit enough and right about it remains to be seen



    hard to "forget about the price" when we need other areas addressing and not so much midfield, £40m could have been spent more wisely in a lot of people's books
    karius
    clyne matip lovren robertson
    hendo
    oxlade coutinho
    salah firmino mane

    ????
    its very attacking

    in truth i find this pretty solid and well balanced

    ------emre/hendo
    ---gini---oxlade
    salah firmino mane

    i think oxlade can excel ala lallana at this pressing game
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #57  
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,727
    I can see him develop to the level of Isco or Willian. Well, that's what i'm hoping anyway.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #58  
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1,358
    I think with the right coaching OX can be just as good as Steve Mcmanaman.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #59  
    fredthecamel is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    41,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaneomax View Post
    I think with the right coaching OX can be just as good as Steve Mcmanaman.
    he s not gonna be a winger for us though.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #60  
    steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    12,488
    Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    he s not gonna be a winger for us though.
    Why not? Because you heard a rumour about him wanting to play CM?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •