Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Official - LFC sign Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    Why not? Because you heard a rumour about him wanting to play CM?
    Yeah, the idea that we signed him and guaranteed him a central midfield role is ridiculous.

It's more likely that Klopp would have assured him that he doesn't see him as a fullback. Ox has said whatever he needed to say to justify his reasons for leaving, the fact is, he's just turned down two better offers so that he can play for Liverpool and work for Klopp.

Regardless of your current opinion of him, it's admirable that he has chosen to join us for less money, it's a clear indication of a love for the club and a desire to better himself!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Just hope he doesn't get injured playing for England.

Obviously, same goes for our other players on International duty.

fredthecamel is online now First team regular
    Why not? Because you heard a rumour about him wanting to play CM?
    pretty much yes...

Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    pretty much yes...
    I don't see him close to starting anywhere at this point. He'll get time as rotation, especially with the fixture bloat and Lallana being out but he's barely in the 18 against a top squad if everyone is fit.

Oxlade Chamberlain:

"We're in good form going into the Man City game after beating Arsenal 4-0 last week."

Arsenal fans are apparently furious. That is quality wumming from the lad right there .

Quote Originally Posted by jaredb_7 View Post
    Oxlade Chamberlain:

"We're in good form going into the Man City game after beating Arsenal 4-0 last week."

Arsenal fans are apparently furious. That is quality wumming from the lad right there .
    As if he wasn't even there...

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by beardall2304 View Post
    Yeah, the idea that we signed him and guaranteed him a central midfield role is ridiculous.

It's more likely that Klopp would have assured him that he doesn't see him as a fullback. Ox has said whatever he needed to say to justify his reasons for leaving, the fact is, he's just turned down two better offers so that he can play for Liverpool and work for Klopp.

Regardless of your current opinion of him, it's admirable that he has chosen to join us for less money, it's a clear indication of a love for the club and a desire to better himself!
    I highly doubt he's been guaranteed anything but chances to play CM, it's up to him to take those chances and force his way into the team. I really don't think Klopp will have guaranteed him regular games in CM, and I really don't think Ox will expect to walk straight in and start every game there. For me, he'll have been told he'll get games there and it's up to him to perform and stay in the team, which is about the best he could have hoped for in a top team. Cover for the wings too if needed though, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by AllaboardLFC View Post
    I think it's really good planning for the (potential) losses of Coutinho and Can. As well as increasing the home grown contingent.

Lallana is out for a while and who knows whether Coutinho will be back playing for us for very long - or if he will play at the same level for us as previously.

Leaving us light on a rapid, hardworking, primarily offensive, dribbling midfielder (if that's what Klopp develops Oxlade Chamberlain into) - until Keita arrives next year.

Grujic can't be feeling too delighted, I wouldn't think....
    Way too much focus on homegroan, I think we're some way off needing to worry about that, but some (mostly on here) seem to cite it as a good reason to sign anyone English as if it is the main factor (when quality is)

We may or may not lose Coutinho and Can, doesn't make the Ox the answer. I worryingly read something makes me think this is an obsession signing, that Klopp has wanted him since watching him play in a CL game a few years ago.

And as you've said yourself, Keita is arriving next year and Can can't leave before then, Coutinho could in January, but either way I'd rather get a new contract out of Can than have signed the Ox..

But not a bad justification on your part, as justifications go. Interesting not very much of it is about how the Ox is a good signing in it's own right
    People will believe what they want to believe

Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    I highly doubt he's been guaranteed anything but chances to play CM, it's up to him to take those chances and force his way into the team. I really don't think Klopp will have guaranteed him regular games in CM, and I really don't think Ox will expect to walk straight in and start every game there. For me, he'll have been told he'll get games there and it's up to him to perform and stay in the team, which is about the best he could have hoped for in a top team. Cover for the wings too if needed though, obviously.
    I just don't see him playing an effective CM. Especially looking at last night's game, he looked terribly one-dimensional and clueless at times. Granted the rest of the England team were poor, but still, that was against Malta, not Spain, Germany, Argentina or Brazil.

Quote Originally Posted by Guarez View Post
    I just don't see him playing an effective CM. Especially looking at last night's game, he looked terribly one-dimensional and clueless at times. Granted the rest of the England team were poor, but still, that was against Malta, not Spain, Germany, Argentina or Brazil.
    I want to see what Klopp can do with him before writing him off. Right now, he doesn't make our best team and isn't really good enough but I honestly think there's a good player in there, and hopefully Klopp can get it out of him. If so, £35m could be good business, if not we have a solid squad player (although how long he'll be happy with that is another matter).

As for him playing CM, I remember him playing there years ago against Milan and he was absolutely fantastic, easily his best performance I've witnessed...he hasn't progressed at all, though. Seems to be a common theme at Arsenal, good young players never seem to improve, and 'top' players they sign seem to stagnate (Sanchez aside). I think their coaching staff have a lot to answer for there, their team is a bit of a shambles right now.

As is often the case when an opponent shuts the front door and leaves the side door open, England went through the same old same old of passing sideways whilst there was not nearly enough movement to make it open anything, and even when the Maltesers did melt in the mouth by letting someone go wide the crosses were poor, blocked, amateurish overall.

The Ox was no worse than most as you say, I think most of it was psychological as if the players (Sterling one name springing to mind) felt they should just be able to walk through the defence. Also first half there were a lot of players nearly static, preparing for a through ball (centrally) to run onto and no one in possession looking at anything other than square or diagonal balls.

I'd like to see a figure citing the number of times the ball was played square in and around the last quarter of the pitch vs how many times a ball was played on the overlap out wide. Problem for me is the quality and creativity in most Premier League sides is provided by Johnny Foreigner...
    People will believe what they want to believe

One negative point from last night i noticed was his lack of running into spaces. There were probably 2 times he could have run into the penalty box to recieve a pass from either Walker of Livermore, but he didn't. A few times he beat his man easily down the flanks and delivered a cross and a cut-back. The talent is there, the confidence and awareness isn't upto scratch yet. With us he'll be more switched onto our dynamic style of play when playing wide and with some experience in midfield he has the ability to control the ball, turn his man, sped things up or slow it down. The world is his oyster at LFC.

I see Ox as an alternative to Winjaldum as a midfield runner. It's pretty much like for like. He may not have the class or skill of Winjaldum, who I reckon is vastly under-rated. If he can provide energy into that midfield then it will be a good signing.

It has to be zero disruption. It has to be a seamless transition, subbing a player and strength of the team remains the same. Or resting a player either Henderson or Winjaldum and the team isn't weaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Kloppsstars View Post
    I see Ox as an alternative to Winjaldum as a midfield runner. It's pretty much like for like. He may not have the class or skill of Winjaldum, who I reckon is vastly under-rated. If he can provide energy into that midfield then it will be a good signing.

It has to be zero disruption. It has to be a seamless transition, subbing a player and strength of the team remains the same. Or resting a player either Henderson or Winjaldum and the team isn't weaker.
    I see him in the Wijnaldum position, also. Henderson/Can, Wijnaldum/AOC, Coutinho/Lallana...I think that may be the plan once (if) everyone is fit. Obviously there will differing variations at times too, depending on injuries/suspensions/opponent, but I fully expect AOC to play a lot of football this season for us, rather than just be a 'bench warmer' as many claim.

MishMasch is offline First team regular
    I see him in the Wijnaldum position, also. Henderson/Can, Wijnaldum/AOC, Coutinho/Lallana...I think that may be the plan once (if) everyone is fit. Obviously there will differing variations at times too, depending on injuries/suspensions/opponent, but I fully expect AOC to play a lot of football this season for us, rather than just be a 'bench warmer' as many claim.
    Do you think PHIL and AOC will play wide attacking roles at times too? Not just for injury replacements but part of rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by MishMasch View Post
    Do you think PHIL and AOC will play wide attacking roles at times too? Not just for injury replacements but part of rotation?
    Yeah, that's a good shout and something I never really considered. Mane and Salah won't play every game, so I'd expect one of them to sit out and be replaced by AOC/Coutinho, which in turn would shake up the CM positions.

Agreed.

I reckon the oppisition will determine the personnel. It is going to get interesting when both Lallana and Coutinho are available. I still feel when the game needs front foot pressing Adam Lallana should be deployed behind the front three as he's the best at It. If it's against a deep park the bus side the Coutinhos passing and vision is needed when the focus is on raw pace to open up the hardest of nuts to crack.

The manager has a lot of questions to answer and decisions to make and will have even more to answer following the arrival of Keita. However they are good questions, it makes for healthy competition.

Welcome to the club Oxlade-Chamberlain

Bring pace, good in the air, good dribbler, good crossover of ball, capable of score around six to eight goals, good hard worker, can play in central midfield and either wing

Like Lallana if he can work on his consistency he be a better version then Lallana

good player to add to our squad

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by BeautifulHistory View Post
    Welcome to the club Oxlade-Chamberlain

Bring pace, good in the air, good dribbler, good crossover of ball, capable of score around six to eight goals, good hard worker, can play in central midfield and either wing

Like Lallana if he can work on his consistency he be a better version then Lallana

good player to add to our squad
    He is?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Well the contenders are Can, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Henderson surely, of those right at the top of the likely list that start. Not even sure all of them can start with a back five leaving three places if Firmino, Mane and Salah all start as a preferred attacking trio
    Henderson is our only defensive midfielder

If we carry on with two Central midfielders in front of him

We got Wijnaldum, Lallana, Grujic, Can

Right now we don't know Can going to stay next season

Coutinho what mental state he will be in after his move collapsed

So I think Oxlade Chamberlain's will have a lot of opportunities to play central midfield this season

He is?
    He is now!
    'Okey doke, we'll leave it there so'

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHed2 View Post
    He is now!

Henderson is our only defensive midfielder

If we carry on with two Central midfielders in front of him

We got Wijnaldum, Lallana, Grujic, Can

Right now we don't know Can going to stay next season

Coutinho what mental state he will be in after his move collapsed

So I think Oxlade Chamberlain's will have a lot of opportunities to play central midfield this season
    Can, can play the defensive midfield role as proved last season. So your overall point is pointless. Secondly to prove your point is pointless is that during games Klopp rotates his midfielders in such a way that all three are allowed to push forward whilst one drops off. So essentially Can, Henderson and Winjaldum all play the DM role during games.

Quote Originally Posted by Kloppsstars View Post
    Can, can play the defensive midfield role as proved last season. So your overall point is pointless. Secondly to prove your point is pointless is that during games Klopp rotates his midfielders in such a way that all three are allowed to push forward whilst one drops off. So essentially Can, Henderson and Winjaldum all play the DM role during games.
    Can and Lucas play the same amount of games in defensive midfield role last season

With both Lucas and Can we lost more game then having Henderson in the defence of role

End of Henderson is our only real option for defensive midfielder which is sad considering he should be a squad option

fredthecamel is online now First team regular
    Can and Lucas play the same amount of games in defensive midfield role last season

With both Lucas and Can we lost more game then having Henderson in the defence of role

End of Henderson is our only real option for defensive midfielder which is sad considering he should be a squad option
    we did sign keita for next season., he is very capable of it. and i dont think emre is as bad in the role as you think and the stats you mention of us losing more with him in came from the post chriostmas period where we had a lot more injuries than up to xmas when hendo played.

It's like magic.
    'Okey doke, we'll leave it there so'

Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    we did sign keita for next season., he is very capable of it. and i dont think emre is as bad in the role as you think and the stats you mention of us losing more with him in came from the post chriostmas period where we had a lot more injuries than up to xmas when hendo played.
    We had players miss in unbeaten run as well

I don't see the point of him really.

In the summer when he's available for nothing then maybe, but £40 million now? I don't think the player justifies the cost and the urgency.

What on earth are you on about?

Didn't Emre Can play at defensive midfield in 80% minimum of our current run of 1 defeat in our last 17 games? So how on earth is Henderson our ONLY defensive midfielder? Think before commenting in future.

Quote Originally Posted by robertretford View Post
    I don't see the point of him really.

In the summer when he's available for nothing then maybe, but £40 million now? I don't think the player justifies the cost and the urgency.
    Agree with this but the manager thinks otherwise. Lame performance v Malta (!!!!).
    loyal since 1960.