Quote Originally Posted by mountbeautygeorge View Post
    but I do..............
    Stirrer.

Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    Argentina in.

So Peru play off against NZ.
    Good result for the kiwis.

More "shock" absences in Chile and USA, although USA is less of a "shock" to me as they were always moderate and just benefited from a weak qualifying region. Their only show of strength in the finals was when all the European teams suffered badly from the location, didn't travel well, and I think that was the year Senegal may have done well too.

Was still only a QF as I recall, but the way lameass, I mean Lalas talks you'd think they had fallen from a much higher perch.
    People will believe what they want to believe

Scotland should offer King Kenny the job for the EURO qualifiers. If he can't inspire them, no one can.

lfcstlouis is online now Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    I need a team to support in the WC. Anyone want to pitch me a side?

Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    It's Germany for me.

lfcstlouis is online now Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Quote Originally Posted by White Star Line View Post
    It's Germany for me.
    I sort of like the underdog. Maybe I'll go France, Germany, Spain. I know they're all long shots, but it's nice to see the little guys win.

I sort of like the underdog. Maybe I'll go France, Germany, Spain. I know they're all long shots, but it's nice to see the little guys win.
    Germany is a long shot? Are you serious?

Last WC the trend of European countries never win on non-european soil had been broken.

I suspect this coming one will be a non-european team to win it.

Brazil or Argentina for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bri_Bates View Post
    Germany is a long shot? Are you serious?
    It's called 'humour'… or in Lfcstlouis' case, it's called 'humor.'

Peru - if they get there
    New Zealand - if they get there
    N. or Rep. Ireland - if one or t'other gets there
    Honduras or Panama - purely for yanking their chains, if Honduras get there

Or pick a relative underdog side with a Liverpool player in their ranks, maybe the Salah-vation Army, or Mane-gal. Won't be long before someone posts how many Liverpool players will be there, never sure why that is remotely important other than outside interest for injuries but those can happen anytime, anyplace, anywhere and not just finals.

Play off games

The draw is at 1pm for the European Section thats Denmark, Greece, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Croatia, Northern Ireland, Sweden and Switzerland.

The games will take place on a home and away basis, with the first legs between 9 and 11 November and the second legs between 12 and 14 November.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Play off games

The draw is at 1pm for the European Section thats Denmark, Greece, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Croatia, Northern Ireland, Sweden and Switzerland.

The games will take place on a home and away basis, with the first legs between 9 and 11 November and the second legs between 12 and 14 November.
    Denmark leapfrogged N.Ireland I think it was to be seeded, I see no reason seeding shouldn't be done by the table to make the cut if not scrapped completely. if they claim the draws and groups were fair and balanced in the first place then it follows surely that the table is a fair comparison.....

World Cup play-off draw in full:

*Northern Ireland vs Switzerland
    *Croatia vs Greece
    *Denmark vs Republic of Ireland
    *Sweden vs Italy

I want NI, ROI, and Italy to get through.

Don't care about the other match.

Quote Originally Posted by Anil_Y2j View Post
    World Cup play-off draw in full:

*Northern Ireland vs Switzerland
    *Croatia vs Greece
    *Denmark vs Republic of Ireland
    *Sweden vs Italy
    Tough draw for Sweden that... Have to think Croatia, Switzerland, and Italy are solid favorites, not sure on the Denmark-Ireland tie...

Quote Originally Posted by Bri_Bates View Post
    Tough draw for Sweden that... Have to think Croatia, Switzerland, and Italy are solid favorites, not sure on the Denmark-Ireland tie...
    I dont see any reason why NIreland can't beat Switzerland, in fact both Irish teams have come out great draws there.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyZidane View Post
    I dont see any reason why NIreland can't beat Switzerland, in fact both Irish teams have come out great draws there.
    I agree, you'd want to avoid Italy, Croatia and probably settle for Denmark or Switzerland. I think even the kiwis, Peru, and other play-off sides would fancy either of them (not saying they'd win, but hardly would be the toughest tie they could ever face)

Of the eight sides, and being unable to play each other, the only weaker side in the draw themselves aside is Greece who they couldn't play.

Italy vs Sweden is a toughie, like Sweden vs Portugal for the 2014 World Cup it is a face off to knock out a side you might like to see in the finals. Sweden must be cursing their fortunes to hit two big guns in consecutive World Cup play-offs, Swedes went out last time whilst their conquerors lifted the Euros two years later.......

Greece may be a bit of a dork horse, third consecutive play-offs in three successive World Cups and they triumphed in 2010 (1-0 vs Ukraine), and in 2014 (4-2 vs Romania) Having won Euro 2004 they fell one point short of the play-off table with Ukraine and Denmark keeping them at bay.

And just for interest :

Finals/placings in competitions (2000-2016)

Italy (9/9) : 2000 (Runners-Up), 2002 (L16), 2004 (Group), 2006 (Winners), 2008 (QF), 2010 (Group), 2012 (Runners-Up), 2014 (Group), 2016 (QF)
    Croatia (7/9) : 2002 (Group), 2004 (Group), 2006 (Group), 2008 (QF), 2012 (Group), 2014 (Group), 2016 (L16)
    Sweden (7/9) : 2000 (Group), 2002 (L16), 2004 (QF), 2006 (L16), 2008 (Group), 2012 (Group), 2016 (Group)
    Switzerland (6/9) : 2004 (Group), 2006 (L16), 2008 (Group), 2010 (Group), 2014 (L16), 2016 (L16)
    Greece (5/9) : 2004 (Winners), 2008 (Group), 2010 (Group), 2012 (QF), 2014 (L16)
    Denmark (5/9) : 2000 (Group), 2002 (L16), 2004 (QF), 2010 (Group), 2012 (Group)
    Rep. Ireland (3/9) : 2002 (L16), 2012 (Group), 2016 (L16)
    N.Ireland (1/9) : 2016 (L16)

I'm Italy will want to preserve their qualifying record. Sweden have missed the past two World Cups, they won't want to again having missed out in 2010 behind fellow play-off sides Denmark plus Portugal.

The Irish (plural) with less finals between them than any of the other teams will find it hard no doubt, but Denmark are the weakest of the sides they might have faced based on records listed with only five finals appearances and progressing one round twice (quarter-final in the Euros was getting out of the groups basically) Switzerland aren't much tougher nuts, last 16 in Euros and World Cups three times to match three failures to get out of the groups.

Greece may have one less appearance than Denmark, but did at least win the competition back in a fairly poor Euro (when was one last not poor?)