Quote Originally Posted by mountbeautygeorge View Post
    but I do..............
    Stirrer.

Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    Argentina in.

So Peru play off against NZ.
    Good result for the kiwis.

More "shock" absences in Chile and USA, although USA is less of a "shock" to me as they were always moderate and just benefited from a weak qualifying region. Their only show of strength in the finals was when all the European teams suffered badly from the location, didn't travel well, and I think that was the year Senegal may have done well too.

Was still only a QF as I recall, but the way lameass, I mean Lalas talks you'd think they had fallen from a much higher perch.
    People will believe what they want to believe

White Star Line is online now Academy prospect
    Scotland should offer King Kenny the job for the EURO qualifiers. If he can't inspire them, no one can.

lfcstlouis is online now Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    I need a team to support in the WC. Anyone want to pitch me a side?

Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    It's Germany for me.

lfcstlouis is online now Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Quote Originally Posted by White Star Line View Post
    It's Germany for me.
    I sort of like the underdog. Maybe I'll go France, Germany, Spain. I know they're all long shots, but it's nice to see the little guys win.

I sort of like the underdog. Maybe I'll go France, Germany, Spain. I know they're all long shots, but it's nice to see the little guys win.
    Germany is a long shot? Are you serious?

Last WC the trend of European countries never win on non-european soil had been broken.

I suspect this coming one will be a non-european team to win it.

Brazil or Argentina for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bri_Bates View Post
    Germany is a long shot? Are you serious?
    It's called 'humour'… or in Lfcstlouis' case, it's called 'humor.'

Peru - if they get there
    New Zealand - if they get there
    N. or Rep. Ireland - if one or t'other gets there
    Honduras or Panama - purely for yanking their chains, if Honduras get there

Or pick a relative underdog side with a Liverpool player in their ranks, maybe the Salah-vation Army, or Mane-gal. Won't be long before someone posts how many Liverpool players will be there, never sure why that is remotely important other than outside interest for injuries but those can happen anytime, anyplace, anywhere and not just finals.

Play off games

The draw is at 1pm for the European Section thats Denmark, Greece, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Croatia, Northern Ireland, Sweden and Switzerland.

The games will take place on a home and away basis, with the first legs between 9 and 11 November and the second legs between 12 and 14 November.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Play off games

The draw is at 1pm for the European Section thats Denmark, Greece, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Croatia, Northern Ireland, Sweden and Switzerland.

The games will take place on a home and away basis, with the first legs between 9 and 11 November and the second legs between 12 and 14 November.
    Denmark leapfrogged N.Ireland I think it was to be seeded, I see no reason seeding shouldn't be done by the table to make the cut if not scrapped completely. if they claim the draws and groups were fair and balanced in the first place then it follows surely that the table is a fair comparison.....

World Cup play-off draw in full:

*Northern Ireland vs Switzerland
    *Croatia vs Greece
    *Denmark vs Republic of Ireland
    *Sweden vs Italy

I want NI, ROI, and Italy to get through.

Don't care about the other match.

Quote Originally Posted by Anil_Y2j View Post
    World Cup play-off draw in full:

*Northern Ireland vs Switzerland
    *Croatia vs Greece
    *Denmark vs Republic of Ireland
    *Sweden vs Italy
    Tough draw for Sweden that... Have to think Croatia, Switzerland, and Italy are solid favorites, not sure on the Denmark-Ireland tie...

Quote Originally Posted by Bri_Bates View Post
    Tough draw for Sweden that... Have to think Croatia, Switzerland, and Italy are solid favorites, not sure on the Denmark-Ireland tie...
    I dont see any reason why NIreland can't beat Switzerland, in fact both Irish teams have come out great draws there.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyZidane View Post
    I dont see any reason why NIreland can't beat Switzerland, in fact both Irish teams have come out great draws there.
    I agree, you'd want to avoid Italy, Croatia and probably settle for Denmark or Switzerland. I think even the kiwis, Peru, and other play-off sides would fancy either of them (not saying they'd win, but hardly would be the toughest tie they could ever face)

Of the eight sides, and being unable to play each other, the only weaker side in the draw themselves aside is Greece who they couldn't play.

Italy vs Sweden is a toughie, like Sweden vs Portugal for the 2014 World Cup it is a face off to knock out a side you might like to see in the finals. Sweden must be cursing their fortunes to hit two big guns in consecutive World Cup play-offs, Swedes went out last time whilst their conquerors lifted the Euros two years later.......

Greece may be a bit of a dork horse, third consecutive play-offs in three successive World Cups and they triumphed in 2010 (1-0 vs Ukraine), and in 2014 (4-2 vs Romania) Having won Euro 2004 they fell one point short of the play-off table with Ukraine and Denmark keeping them at bay.

And just for interest :

Finals/placings in competitions (2000-2016)

Italy (9/9) : 2000 (Runners-Up), 2002 (L16), 2004 (Group), 2006 (Winners), 2008 (QF), 2010 (Group), 2012 (Runners-Up), 2014 (Group), 2016 (QF)
    Croatia (7/9) : 2002 (Group), 2004 (Group), 2006 (Group), 2008 (QF), 2012 (Group), 2014 (Group), 2016 (L16)
    Sweden (7/9) : 2000 (Group), 2002 (L16), 2004 (QF), 2006 (L16), 2008 (Group), 2012 (Group), 2016 (Group)
    Switzerland (6/9) : 2004 (Group), 2006 (L16), 2008 (Group), 2010 (Group), 2014 (L16), 2016 (L16)
    Greece (5/9) : 2004 (Winners), 2008 (Group), 2010 (Group), 2012 (QF), 2014 (L16)
    Denmark (5/9) : 2000 (Group), 2002 (L16), 2004 (QF), 2010 (Group), 2012 (Group)
    Rep. Ireland (3/9) : 2002 (L16), 2012 (Group), 2016 (L16)
    N.Ireland (1/9) : 2016 (L16)

I'm Italy will want to preserve their qualifying record. Sweden have missed the past two World Cups, they won't want to again having missed out in 2010 behind fellow play-off sides Denmark plus Portugal.

The Irish (plural) with less finals between them than any of the other teams will find it hard no doubt, but Denmark are the weakest of the sides they might have faced based on records listed with only five finals appearances and progressing one round twice (quarter-final in the Euros was getting out of the groups basically) Switzerland aren't much tougher nuts, last 16 in Euros and World Cups three times to match three failures to get out of the groups.

Greece may have one less appearance than Denmark, but did at least win the competition back in a fairly poor Euro (when was one last not poor?)

Well with Chile, Cameroon, Ghana, Ivory Coast, South Africa, Algeria, USA, Italy, Holland and Rep.Ireland shell shocked in not qualifying, who has..........? Well congratulations to Panama and Iceland for reaching their very first World Cup finals, they are the only two teams never to have played on this particular stage before.

and the full line-up with one TBC.............

CONMEBOL (4 confirmed)

Brazil - 4th in the 2014 World Cup (hosts), group stages of the 2016 Copa America. Walked CONMEBOL qualifying, finished 10 points and +18 GD ahead of Uruguay
    Uruguay - L16 in the 2014 World Cup (hosts), group stages of the 2016 Copa America
    Argentina - Runners-up in the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Copa America. Were struggling to qualify, securing qualification in the last round of games as Chile crashed out losing in Brazil and Colombia drew with Peru.
    Colombia - QFs in the 2014 World Cup and 3rd in 2016 Copa America

Peru are locked 0-0 with New Zealand after the play-off 1st leg.

CONCACAF (3 confirmed)

Mexico - L16 in 2014 World Cup and QFs in 2016 Copa America. Comfortably qualified as USA bombed out, they have reached the L16 of the last SIX World Cups since being banned from Italia '90
    Costa Rica - QFs in 2014 World Cup and group stage of 2016 Copa America.
    Panama - will be their first World Cup and were runners-up in the 2017 Copa Centroamericana.

Honduras were knocked out by Australia in the play-off

AFC (5 confirmed)

Iran - Group stage of 2014 World Cup and QFs in the 2015 Asian Cup
    Japan - Group stage of 2014 World Cup and QFs in the 2015 Asian Cup
    South Korea - Group stage of 2014 World Cup and Runners-Up in the 2015 Asian Cup
    Saudi Arabia - Group stage of 2006 World Cup and QFs in the 2015 Asian Cup

Australia* - Group stage of 2014 World Cup and Champions of the 2015 Asian Cup

*Australia knocked out Honduras in the play-off.

OFC (0 confirmed)

New Zealand are locked 0-0 with Peru after the play-off 1st leg.

CAF (5 confirmed)

Tunisia - group stage in 2006 World Cup and QFs in 2017 ACN
    Nigeria - L16 in 2014 World Cup and Winners of 2013 ACN
    Morocco - group stage in 1998 World Cup and QFs in 2017 ACN
    Senegal - QFs in 2002 World Cup and QFs in 2017 ACN
    Egypt - group stage in 1990 World Cup and Runners-Up in 2017 ACN

Only Nigeria reached the last World Cup, and failed to qualify for the last two ACNs.

UEFA (14 confirmed)

Russia (hosts) - Reached the group stages at the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Euros

France - QFs in 2014 World Cup and Runners-Up in 2016 Euros.
    Portugal - group stage in 2014 World Cup and Winners of 2016 Euros.
    Germany - Winners of 2014 World Cup and SFs in 2016 Euros
    Serbia - group stage in 2010 World Cup and QFs in 2000 Euros.
    Poland - group stage in 2006 World Cup and QFs in 2016 Euros.
    England - group stage in 2014 World Cup and L16 in 2016 Euros.
    Spain - group stage in 2014 World Cup and L16 in 2016 Euros.
    Belgium - group stage in 2014 World Cup and L16 in 2016 Euros.
    Iceland - will be their first World Cup and QFs in 2016 Euros.

Switzerland* - L16 2014 World Cup and L16 in 2016 Euros.
    Croatia* - group stage of 2014 World Cup and L16 in 2016 Euros.
    Denmark* - group stage in 2010 World Cup and group stage in 2012 Euros.
    Sweden* - L16 in 2006 World Cup and group stage in 2016 Euros.

*In the play-offs Switzerland knocked out N.Ireland, Croatia knocked out Greece, Denmark knocked out Rep. Ireland, and Sweden knocked out Italy.

Australia have won the World Cup!!!!!!!! Oops, no they havent! They've just beaten that great footballing super power Honduras. However Australian media practically have the WC decided already. Dear God, does it get ahead of itself!!!
    loyal since 1960.

Australia have won the World Cup!!!!!!!! Oops, no they havent! They've just beaten that great footballing super power Honduras. However Australian media practically have the WC decided already. Dear God, does it get ahead of itself!!!
    I mentioned to RedHed2 a while back…

The second worst sound in the world is an Australian who's lost… the worst noise is an Australian who's won.

Maybe a few centuries ahead of themselves. I'd be surprised if they reached the QFs, I fully expect them to crash and burn at the first hurdle.

kiwis walked straight into the first hurdle, Honduras may be no great shakes of a side although if I'm not mistaken didn't both Peru and Honduras last play at a World Cup in 1982.................... (spooky coincidence surely given the love-love relationship between their respective opponents)

I mentioned to RedHed2 a while back…

The second worst sound in the world is an Australian who's lost… the worst noise is an Australian who's won.

Surely the worst noise is an Australian who's talking...............

Be interesting to see which side in the upcoming Ashes is least feeble, whether England have enough to not lose 5-0 or the aussies are less feeble than might appear and England unable to cope with conditions etc

If aussies were all they like to think they are they could let their cricket do the talking rather than sledge. windies when on top would knock a batsman on their backside with a short ball or rearrange their stumps if they had the audacity to survive an over or two ................

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Surely the worst noise is an Australian who's talking...............

Be interesting to see which side in the upcoming Ashes is least feeble, whether England have enough to not lose 5-0 or the aussies are less feeble than might appear and England unable to cope with conditions etc

If aussies were all they like to think they are they could let their cricket do the talking rather than sledge. windies when on top would knock a batsman on their backside with a short ball or rearrange their stumps if they had the audacity to survive an over or two ................
    I don't mind a bit of light sledging and a banter/needle on the pitch now and again… but Aussie sledging is rather too pugnacious - on and off the pitch.

I don't mind a bit of light sledging and a banter/needle on the pitch now and again… but Aussie sledging is rather too pugnacious - on and off the pitch.
    I think some take their sledging too serious, in fact sledging should be banned simply because it isn't banter, it is attempts to gain an advantage and perhaps a sad reflection of those indulging as they feel they need it because of some belief that everyone should be mentally tough.

Anyway, doesn't make much difference if the also took parts are Peru or New Zealand, you could sift through that list and you won't whittle down the teams that may as well be there to a significant percentage until the QFs - some also took parts will get to the L16, maybe a shock or two might see a surprise quarter-finalist but I doubt we'll see a real shock.

Has there ever truly been a shock winner of the World Cup? Euros definitely, and I would be loathe to include Denmark who were a decent side even if they got in through political back door route. (only 8 teams qualified back then, doubled the next time around) Of course you could argue some of the earlier World Cups were unconvincing due to lower participating numbers but I'm thinking 58, 62, 66, 70, 74, 78, 82, 86, 90, 94, 98, 02, 06, 10, 14, all good sides, and if I worked back further I'm sure the winners in 30, 34, 38, 50 and 54 weren't terrible either.

Maybe that's the problem (for England), you have to be a very very good side to win the World Cup and they simply don't make the grade and often underperform, a lot of it similar to our issues with too slow a turnaround, sideways passing and not getting enough good crosses in and men in the box when the opposition put up any half decent barrier to goal.

And then celebrate a couple of nil nils in FRIENDLIES at home because of who the opposition were, might read a lot more into it had they won with a good attacking display resulting in an end product ie goal(s) England and the media no doubt take these friendlies far more seriously than a lot of our opponents, and I'm not suggesting for one minute Germany and Brazil didn't try, I just seriously doubt they'd have been any less or more likely to do well in the World Cup had they lost, nor been too cut up about it.

The draw for the summer's games in on this Friday

fredthecamel is online now First team regular
    The draw for the summer's games in on this Friday
    looking forward to it, some very good sides in it

fancy france if they can find some nity in their squad... england have a decent chance also.

brazil look strong , germans will be strong, argies always are there or therabouts, spain

difficult to pick a winner because i dont think there is a clear stand out favourite for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    looking forward to it, some very good sides in it

fancy france if they can find some nity in their squad... england have a decent chance also.

brazil look strong , germans will be strong, argies always are there or therabouts, spain

difficult to pick a winner because i dont think there is a clear stand out favourite for this one.
    Pot 1: Russia, Germany, Brazil, Portugal, Argentina, Belgium, Poland, France

Pot 2: Spain, Peru, Switzerland, England, Colombia, Mexico, Uruguay, Croatia

Pot 3: Denmark, Iceland, Costa Rica, Sweden, Tunisia, Egypt, Senegal, Iran

Pot 4: Serbia, Nigeria, Australia, Japan, Morocco, Panama, South Korea, Saudi Arabia

“I like the underdog” proceeds to name Germany, France and Spain. -_-

Pot 1: Russia, Germany, Brazil, Portugal, Argentina, Belgium, Poland, France

Pot 2: Spain, Peru, Switzerland, England, Colombia, Mexico, Uruguay, Croatia

Pot 3: Denmark, Iceland, Costa Rica, Sweden, Tunisia, Egypt, Senegal, Iran

Pot 4: Serbia, Nigeria, Australia, Japan, Morocco, Panama, South Korea, Saudi Arabia
    Perfect group for me would be
    Poland
    England
    Iran
    Saudi Arabia.

Group of death would be
    Germany
    England
    Sweden
    Australia

If Russia weren't the hosts they'd probably be in pot 4.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyZidane View Post
    Perfect group for me would be
    Poland
    England
    Iran
    Saudi Arabia.

Group of death would be
    Germany
    England
    Sweden
    Australia

If Russia weren't the hosts they'd probably be in pot 4.
    There is nothing easy at the finals with England
    In Brazil we won zero, drew 1 and lost 2 - thats lost to Italy and Uruguay and draw with Costa Rica
    In the Euro's in France - we won 1, drew 2 and lost 1 - thats beat Wales, drew with Russia and Slovakia and lost to Iceland