Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 89 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt McQueen's First Title-Retaining Twitter Thread. No Unsubstantiated News, Fake Tweets or Chat

Mane has been better than Salah but suppose he's new, it's expected.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

TheSoundLady is online now Optimistic Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Quote Originally Posted by elmo the cat View Post

No it isn't !

They'll both score 19 goals (league) but the 'goal a game' striker gives someone else the opportunity to contribute to the teams total, for 19 games of the season. The fit guy doesn't.

just a tip. If you are talk in riddles, make sure they make sense first.
    Exactly

TheSoundLady is online now Optimistic Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRiedle View Post
    Brilliant signing.
    Absolutely

paul joyce @_pauljoyce
    Emre Can contract talks at impasse because he wants release clause

spider-neil is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by MimosaSalah View Post
    paul joyce @_pauljoyce
    Give it him. Something is better than nothing.

shody1976 is online now First team regular
    paul joyce @_pauljoyce
    I wonder if the club want to be careful about setting a precedent here. If they give Emre what he wants, what's to stop our other best players wanting the same further down the line? That being said, we run the risk of losing players for nothing or drastically reduced fees if they decide to run their contracts down. It's quite a tough one actually.

Quote Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
    Give it him. Something is better than nothing.
    So if he signs a new contract next month with a release clause he could be off at the end of the season anyway.
    YNWA

Quote Originally Posted by Gegenpressing View Post
    So if he signs a new contract next month with a release clause he could be off at the end of the season anyway.
    I think the point is if he doesn't then hes off at the end of the season regardless for no fee at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Baros--5 View Post
    I think the point is if he doesn't then hes off at the end of the season regardless for no fee at all.
    So basically he wants a pay rise and still wants to leave at the end of the season. I get what you're saying but I wouldn't include any release clause in new contracts with players - there is no long term planning if you go down that route.
    YNWA

Better than him leaving for free. May as well throw a 50 million release clause in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Red-Raw View Post
    Better than him leaving for free. May as well throw a 50 million release clause in there.
    I do get that. I'm speaking more in general though. I think you can't plan ahead if every good player you have who signs a new contract, has a release clause in it, especially now that most clubs are rich.
    YNWA

So basically he wants a pay rise and still wants to leave at the end of the season. I get what you're saying but I wouldn't include any release clause in new contracts with players - there is no long term planning if you go down that route.
    If a player has a couple of years left i agree but if like someones suggested we could get a 50 mil release clause in that wouldn't be so bad although saying that i have a feeling he wants his clause to be much less.

If a player has a couple of years left i agree but if like someones suggested we could get a 50 mil release clause in that wouldn't be so bad although saying that i have a feeling he wants his clause to be much less.
    Yeah. In this case it looks like we'll have to because of the shortness of his current contract. In general I am against doing this though.
    YNWA

MiraclesArePossible is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Beige View Post
    It says that playing time is the notable individual performance indicator. You can see that it has a big impact on value from the difference in Firmino's and Coutinho's value. They also say that they use goals as an indicator, but even that is quite a simplistic statistic. They should use things like expected goals and assists per minutes played if they wanted to accurately evaluate a players performance in attack.
    It'd be simplistic on its own but they haven't taken it on its own. Plus being able to keep a player fit adds to his value.

Agreed, I hope we keep Can as he is starting to look like the player many of us believed he had the potential to become, I doubt it is as black/white as we just refusing a release clause and as you say it is likely more about the amount.

It would make absolutely no business sense to allow him to leave at the end of the season for nothing rather than agree a clause to at least get some sort of fee for him, there must be more to what is being reported than that (as usual).

Larissa Karius is online now First team regular
    paul joyce @_pauljoyce
    Stick one in. 250m and get him signed up for 6 years!!!

The "No Unsubstantiated News" part of these 'Twitter' thread titles is a little misleading......

Quote Originally Posted by 77scouser View Post
    Agreed, I hope we keep Can as he is starting to look like the player many of us believed he had the potential to become, I doubt it is as black/white as we just refusing a release clause and as you say it is likely more about the amount.

It would make absolutely no business sense to allow him to leave at the end of the season for nothing rather than agree a clause to at least get some sort of fee for him, there must be more to what is being reported than that (as usual).
    The fee would have to also be more than the pay rise included in the contract. No point paying him more to get a fee, if the pay rise he gets outweighs the fee we would receive next year

Quote Originally Posted by L8LadinDubai View Post
    The fee would have to also be more than the pay rise included in the contract. No point paying him more to get a fee, if the pay rise he gets outweighs the fee we would receive next year
    If we paid him 100,000 extra a week (unlikely), we'd only have to set a release clause of 5m to make that back.

Quote Originally Posted by Larissa Karius View Post
    Stick one in. 250m and get him signed up for 6 years!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Red-Raw View Post
    Yeah if it's sizeable enough - release clause shouldn't really matter

Presume its more over the size of it

Get 70m in there and it's a win win either way

A 20m release clause is still better than the nothing we will get in July when he leaves on a free.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyfagan View Post
    A 20m release clause is still better than the nothing we will get in July when he leaves on a free.
    If you take it in isolation, but giving a low release clause to a valuable player would signal to other players/agents that we're weak negotiators.

Quote Originally Posted by carraforcaptain View Post
    If you take it in isolation, but giving a low release clause to a valuable player would signal to other players/agents that we're weak negotiators.
    Is that better or worse than the message we would send out by letting one of our "best" players leave on a free because we couldn't agree a contract with him?

BBC Sport:
    Fifa has rejected Leicester City's application to register midfielder Adrien Silva after the club missed the deadline by 14 seconds.

:FP:

Quote Originally Posted by Em-inLeam View Post
    BBC Sport:
    Fifa has rejected Leicester City's application to register midfielder Adrien Silva after the club missed the deadline by 14 seconds.

:FP:
    I bet if that was Barca or RM they wouldn't have done that. 14 seconds its hardly a long time is it.
    Last edited by johnamiri; 6-9-17 at 11:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyfagan View Post
    Is that better or worse than the message we would send out by letting one of our "best" players leave on a free because we couldn't agree a contract with him?
    I think better (though obvs it would vary from situation to situation. I can imagine a situation where not reaching an agreement would make us look like spectacular **** ups, but I don't think this is one). If we don't reach an agreement then it just shows that we both wanted things too different to find a middle ground. If we reach a really unfavourable agreement, it makes it look like we got bent over. And players can use the 'you gave this to him, why not me?' argument.

I'm not completely opposed to any release clause but there is a point where the clause would be low enough to make us look weak. 20 million specifically would look really bad. Could probably get behind 40-50 though.

Quote Originally Posted by johnamiri View Post
    I bet if that was Barca or RM they wouldn't have done that. 14 seconds its early a long time is it.
    Very very true.

Quote Originally Posted by Em-inLeam View Post
    Very very true.
    Didn't happen with De Gea.
    YNWA