Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: The Coutinho Thread - 2017/2018 season watch 3 (He stays)

Quote Originally Posted by RedHed2 View Post
    I understand where youíre coming from, and Iíve basically accepted that weíll probably sell him in the summer, but I donít see how we owe him anything just for trying his best while under contract. Itís the fact that he just signed it in January and it was a genuine contract, not a get out of here job. Then Barca's plans changed and itís all about them and their needs.

I get that itís most likely his dream move, and playing with arguably the best player ever close to his prime is a once in a generation chance. And playing with Suarez and all that, but we have our own dreams and plans, and theyíre more important than his as far as weíre concerned. Iíve got no worries about his commitment for this season, after the summer, itís obviously a different story. So thatís where Iím coming from with us not owing him any assurances right now, heís playing great, and needs to keep doing it for the World Cup, and a possible move. All he needs to know is that we'll talk about it in the summer imo.

And I donít see any benefit coming from Barca knowing they can have him in the summer either, that would be very poor business imo.
    Liverpool will probably sell him in the summer....they won't if they don't want to. Barcelona can 'only have him' in the summer if they put in a rediculous offer that Liverpool deem too good to turn down.

It's certainly not as cut and dried as you're making out. As things stand Barcelona don't have the money to buy him.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by RedGhana View Post
    A bit extreme that..unlikely theyll all wake up one day and have that exact same thought.

I dont know what the best thing is to do. Im just thinking is it worth keeping a player that doesnt want to be here?
    If he didn't want to be here why did he sign a 5 year contract, obviously at the time of signing the 5 year contract he had no problems being here, I expect him to respect the contract he signed until such a time him and FSG come to an agreement where he can leave.

Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    Fact 3 - another argumentative thread 'Who will replace Coutinho?'
    It might not be a direct replacement,but will strengthen team maybe a striker, maybe a midfielder.

Quote Originally Posted by grudge View Post
    If he didn't want to be here why did he sign a 5 year contract, obviously at the time of signing the 5 year contract he had no problems being here, I expect him to respect the contract he signed until such a time him and FSG come to an agreement where he can leave.
    EXACTLY

He signed a five year contract a year ago, he should respect it until all parties agree to the move. And they shouldn't use the press to force a move. A source close to... yada yada yada. Business must be done privately.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanBro View Post
    EXACTLY

He signed a five year contract a year ago, he should respect it until all parties agree to the move. And they shouldn't use the press to force a move. A source close to... yada yada yada. Business must be done privately.
    In an ideal world this would be the situation but as it stands this not that is currently happening

In an ideal world this would be the situation but as it stands this not that is currently happening
    As things stand he is not for sale.

Why couldnt barcelona be interested in henderson instead

It's happening because he's not for sale. Have you seen Liverpool say he's for sale? Unless Liverpool say he's for sale, he's not for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Kloppsstars View Post
    It's happening because he's not for sale. Have you seen Liverpool say he's for sale? Unless Liverpool say he's for sale, he's not for sale.
    So unless a club says a player is for sale he cannot be sold..gotch'a.. i will make sure i remember that.

So unless a club says a player is for sale he cannot be sold..gotch'a.. i will make sure i remember that.

I didn't say he 'can't be sold". I asked have Liverpool said he's for sale? They haven't which means he isn't. Secondly don't bring up that transfer request, that was last summer and is currently null and void.

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    You're missing the key part though, knowing they can have him for the price we set. Which I don't see anything wrong with from a business perspective, if they offer something derisory or mess us about, then he stays, and I'm sure we'll have made that clear to Phil too. I just think we'll 'assure' him that our stance has shifted from 'you're not for sale for any price' to 'we'll sell you to Barca in the summer, but only for our price'.
    When do we set the price?

I think the key part youíre missing is how much the prices are going through the ceiling, and how quickly they jump too. Even look from the start of the last summer window to the end of it, two months and prices almost doubled. If we set a price that weíll sell him at, and thereís another huge inflation, we'll look like right mugs.

Plus the World Cup too, he could really shine and who knows what heíd be worth. And thereís the rest of the season where he could go on a tear.

Who knows what the price will be in August, it could twice what we might think at the minute. And I go back to Barca knowing they can have him, whatever the price is, I canít be having that seeing as we hold all the cards.
    'Okey doke, we'll leave it there so'

Quote Originally Posted by Kloppsstars View Post
    Liverpool will probably sell him in the summer....they won't if they don't want to. Barcelona can 'only have him' in the summer if they put in a rediculous offer that Liverpool deem too good to turn down.

It's certainly not as cut and dried as you're making out. As things stand Barcelona don't have the money to buy him.
    Did you read 'cut and dried' from my use of 'probably'?

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect

I think the key part you’re missing is how much the prices are going through the ceiling, and how quickly they jump too. Even look from the start of the last summer window to the end of it, two months and prices almost doubled. If we set a price that we’ll sell him at, and there’s another huge inflation, we'll look like right mugs.

Plus the World Cup too, he could really shine and who knows what he’d be worth. And there’s the rest of the season where he could go on a tear.

Who knows what the price will be in August, it could twice what we might think at the minute. And I go back to Barca knowing they can have him, whatever the price is, I can’t be having that seeing as we hold all the cards.
    Probably in the summer, for the reasons you mentioned. But I don't imagine we'd turn down 130m+ (with the majority up front and not with stupid addons) regardless. I don't see why you think that Barca knowing they can have him for whatever price we set is bad business or whatever, it's essentially the same as a release clause (which all players in Spain have anyway). PSG knew they could have Neymar if they paid the release clause, the only difference is Barca didn't have a choice but to accept it.

Probably in the summer, for the reasons you mentioned. But I don't imagine we'd turn down 130m+ (with the majority up front and not with stupid addons) regardless. I don't see why you think that Barca knowing they can have him for whatever price we set is bad business or whatever, it's essentially the same as a release clause (which all players in Spain have anyway). PSG knew they could have Neymar if they paid the release clause, the only difference is Barca didn't have a choice but to accept it.
    For that very reason, he doesn’t have a release clause.

For that very reason, he doesn’t have a release clause.
    So what's the problem? We tell Phil 'ok we'll let you go in the summer, providing Barca offer what we deem to be a fair price for you when the time comes'. If they don't make a satisfactory offer, he stays, what's the problem?

I think the key part you’re missing is how much the prices are going through the ceiling, and how quickly they jump too. Even look from the start of the last summer window to the end of it, two months and prices almost doubled. If we set a price that we’ll sell him at, and there’s another huge inflation, we'll look like right mugs.

Plus the World Cup too, he could really shine and who knows what he’d be worth. And there’s the rest of the season where he could go on a tear.

Who knows what the price will be in August, it could twice what we might think at the minute. And I go back to Barca knowing they can have him, whatever the price is, I can’t be having that seeing as we hold all the cards.
    When the time comes.

He has nothing in his contract and we have no need to give him a new one - he's not getting anything in writing that guarantees him anything.

So what's the problem? We tell Phil 'ok we'll let you go in the summer, providing Barca offer what we deem to be a fair price for you when the time comes'. If they don't make a satisfactory offer, he stays, what's the problem?
    Why would we, though? I don’t get why you’d be so easy about him effectively getting a contract change so he can head off.

And what if PSG offer more?

Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    When the time comes.

He has nothing in his contract and we have no need to give him a new one - he's not getting anything in writing that guarantees him anything.
    Exactly. And why would we just voluntarily change his contract to be sound, like?

Why would we, though? I don’t get why you’d be so easy about him effectively getting a contract change so he can head off.

And what if PSG offer more?
    What contract change? If PSG offer more then we accept that, or tell Barca they have to match it I'd assume. I don't see what's so 'easy' about it, we're simply moving from 'you're not leaving, period' to 'you can leave if we get what we want for you'.

Why would we? To stop him throwing his toys out the pram in January and kicking up a fuss or downing tools or whatever else. Make sure he's 100% committed to this season for us and keep him happy until the summer.

What contract change? If PSG offer more then we accept that, or tell Barca they have to match it I'd assume. I don't see what's so 'easy' about it, we're simply moving from 'you're not leaving, period' to 'you can leave if we get what we want for you'.

Why would we? To stop him throwing his toys out the pram in January and kicking up a fuss or downing tools or whatever else. Make sure he's 100% committed to this season for us and keep him happy until the summer.
    The point of contention seems to be when we set the fee.

I agree with Red that we have no need to do it now, but I'm not sure if you're even suggesting otherwise?

If you're just saying, that LFC are just saying, as long as our price, which will be set at or nearer the time, is met we won't stand in your way - then I think we're all more or less in agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    The point of contention seems to be when we set the fee.

I agree with Red that we have no need to do it now, but I'm not sure if you're even suggesting otherwise?

If you're just saying, that LFC are just saying, as long as our price, which will be set at or nearer the time, is met we won't stand in your way - then I think we're all more or less in agreement.
    I'm not.

According to the Spanish media, Barcelona have told Liverpool how much they will buy Coutinho for in January. This is despite the fact that Liverpool have said he's not for sale, especially not in January.