Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 108 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Thread: As of now, what is your opinion of Jurgen Norbert Klopp?

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza74 View Post
    He's not been playing here for years though, and clearly whatever was happening at Arsenal has killed the lads confidence.

He's certainly not ***** either, and he deserves better than being written off after just 1 start, as much as it's no surprise to see that on here of course.
    Read a great interview with Terry McDermott recently. He mentioned that he would hate to have been playing today in the age of social media as there is no respite given to new players at Liverpool. He stated his own case where it took him 18 months to find his feet at Liverpool but fans were generally patient with him. And looked what he turned into. Jason McAteer also made some comments recently where he couldn't understand some fans vitriol towards Wijnaldum after what he thought was a very good first season. No chance us given to players anymore - if they don't perform like Messi week after week this board thinks they are crap. Bizarre.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Ox was signed to fit into Klopps tactics as rotational cover but it was a hell of a lot of money to pay for a player who isn't better than anyone we had already in any position he can play. Klopp put attacking options over solidity in midfield and the back and relied on the team press to make up for it. We signed cover before we signed necessities.

Klopp never won anything without better players than we have in deep midfield. The players he had at Dortmund when he won made up for the systems shortcomings.

This could get long. I don’t know that I have much insight, but may have a different perspective than others. I started following Liverpool almost sight unseen starting roughly in August ’16. I never really followed the sport and I wasn’t familiar with Klopp who was preparing the team for his first full season with the club.

I had a friend who caught the Premier League bug about five to ten years before I did. Of course his team would be Manchester United, but there was a certain admiration he had for Klopp. That he would have loved to have Klopp at the time or he figured that Liverpool could really start challenging for titles. It was like there was a “Klopp” factor, which would strike fear into the rest of the league, but yet everyone seemed to admire him just as much.

The positives --

He seems so personable (but see Sakho below). He seems to be such a likeable person. He may do more than give you the shirt off his back; he might just make the shirt specifically for you. I think my first exposure may have been when he was interviewed by American kids. He was just as comfortable there as in any other setting.

His intensity has an infectious quality that is hard not to get behind.

That attacking style when the right players are in the lineup is a beauty to watch and that record against the Top 6 teams!

He seems to be loyal to his players (but see Sakho below) and is a real player's manager/coach in that regard. He is often quick to praise and defend; he seems to care for them at a level deeper that what occurs on the pitch.

I like how I think he handles the youth. He doesn't just worry about the U23 managers handling them; if he sees a player he likes, he just might given them some time. I like that, but I'm a sucker for that sort of thing: a happy balance of youth players coming up with some splash transfer signings!

The negatives or things I don’t understand –

Sakho – For as personable as Klopp is, I’m not sure I want to be on his bad side. I think Sakho was being sent back home from the US @ the time I started. I don’t remember the rules he violated or if they were shared, but in addition to that he had also dealt with a failed drug test that he was ultimately exonerated for. Opinions seem varied on Sakho, but a lot seemed to see him in line with the central defenders we had in the squad. I assumed that the U23 appearances were a bit of a punishment that once served would see him humbled and welcomed back with open arms. It never happened and plenty of people rightly said he was essentially gone, but it took some time to actually get him out.

Transfers – While I am sure the American system (especially the MLS, which is an odd hybrid of US and World player acquisitions, that probably doesn’t do either well) can be confusing to some, the transfer market has taken me a little bit to understand better. I don’t want to think that transfers are all that matters, but it’s a huge component. It seemed like this Summer was going to be THE time for Klopp to get all the players he wanted. Maybe he will, but not ultimately when we wanted it. There is also the issue of what areas seem to be targeted.

Stubborn – I imagine one thing you can allowed to be at the top is stubborn and it may have been part of what got you there in the first place. It does seem that there has been times when he just kept doing / saying the same thing, even if to the layperson it felt like a new view or approach was needed. It seems like this could apply to all facets of what he does as a manager (e.g. transfers and tactics).

Personnel Decisions -- I know his substitutions and lineups can leave me scratching my head.

Handling of the media -- I am sort of in his corner for some of this, but he has to know and expect that questions about transfers or bad plays or whatever is going to come up. I just think if he just fed them the same answer without acting annoyed or put off. Not a big deal.

I went into more detail on my negatives, but I like Klopp. I would like to see him do well and think he can keep Liverpool on the right track. I don't have a lot of insight at this stage, but I hope I am getting there!

spider-neil is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs He..eghhhh View Post
    Did he say aything impessive in the Leicester presser?

"They" used to lap up on his every word on here
    This is how it starts. The mocking of press conferences when before it was praising.
    Happened with GH, Rafa and it's now happening with Klopp. It's ********* pathetic. Like it matters what a manager says in PUBLIC rather than in the dressing room. One of the now many reasons I have next to no interest left in football.

To be fair, I’ll never appreciate the fact that he ostracised Sakho from the team when he was having to play no-pace Lucas at CB... talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face!

And again selling Sakho when error prone Lovren and effin Klavan are your only real options at LCB. It’s ludicrous.

Sakho isn’t the best defender in the world but it’s not like we have Japp Stam and Sol Campbell to choose from.

As for £35m AOC... were we really that desperate for him? Why did we spend months negotiating £34m for Salah (an absolute star at Roma) to then just hand Arsenal a similar amount for a squad player in the final year of his contract. What was the rational there?

I appreciate the signings of Mane, Salah and Keita (who will be brilliant), Gini, Grujic and Matip I’m also content with but the defence is a real issue.

His job is safe obviously... who else is there out there? We can’t just keep changing manager. He needs to start demonstrating common sense.

He has to stop playing Henderson. He needs to start convincing Southampton to sell VVD or he needs to start looking elsewhere.
    Last edited by GrottonRed; 22-9-17 at 08:26. Reason: abuse of club staff

Quote Originally Posted by Klopphopper View Post
    Read a great interview with Terry McDermott recently. He mentioned that he would hate to have been playing today in the age of social media as there is no respite given to new players at Liverpool. He stated his own case where it took him 18 months to find his feet at Liverpool but fans were generally patient with him. And looked what he turned into. Jason McAteer also made some comments recently where he couldn't understand some fans vitriol towards Wijnaldum after what he thought was a very good first season. No chance us given to players anymore - if they don't perform like Messi week after week this board thinks they are crap. Bizarre.
    I am sure he wouldn't hate the money he would make today though. Strange point about the fans behaviour thiugh, the difference is back then they would have been slagging him off in the pub, so he wouldn't hear any of that, while now is in social media, where players can obviously see it as they are heavy users of it.

spider-neil is online now Academy prospect
    I've got problems with Klopp but by and large I think he is a top manager.
    Personally, I think he is trying to run before he can walk. Basically, he is trying to have 'total football' but he just doesn't have the defence to pull it off.
    He'll get there, he needs time, and he needs the right defenders and it will all click into place.

Quote Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
    Personally, I think he is trying to run before he can walk. Basically, he is trying to have 'total football' but he just doesn't have the defence to pull it off.
    He'll get there, he needs time, and he needs the right defenders and it will all click into place.
    Agree totally. I think he's got himself into a PR corner (primarily the VVD saga, the Lovren contract, and the quotes about what we have is good enough) with some fans and the media, and he's gonna have to spend some serious time thinking about how he can navigate his way out of it. It's important everyone, especially the fans, give him that time.

Quote Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
    Agree with this, but the caveat is that he's got to learn from his mistakes. And there is no earthly reason to take another 3 seasons to do that. In fact if we're still talking about our dodgy central defence this time next season, it will basically confirm we are into yet another false dawn scenario, because as superb as Keita is, he can't protect a shaky defence and drive on the rest of midfield all on his own, every game, all season.

I like Klopp a lot and I'm praying he overcomes whatever blind spot he has and nails it.

lonewolf kal is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Centre View Post
    Agree with this, but the caveat is that he's got to learn from his mistakes. And there is no earthly reason to take another 3 seasons to do that. In fact if we're still talking about our dodgy central defence this time next season, it will basically confirm we are into yet another false dawn scenario, because as superb as Keita is, he can't protect a shaky defence and drive on the rest of midfield all on his own, every game, all season.

I like Klopp a lot and I'm praying he overcomes whatever blind spot he has and nails it.
    indeed. and by keep expecting it and calling for change it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy doesn't it. i don't think anyone can come in and change everything within two seasons without a solid base to work from.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf kal View Post
    indeed. and by keep expecting it and calling for change it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy doesn't it. i don't think anyone can come in and change everything within two seasons without a solid base to work from.
    All of that is very good except that you were saying the same things in Rodgers's 4th season, literally copy and paste.

TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    I think people are getting confused with criticism and wanting him gone. I could be wrong about it but I think 95% of the fanbase still want him to succeed, still want him to turn it around. A lot of the concerns were heavily discussed in the summer, it was said it'll come back to bite us and it has. I'm surprised and happy it's come this early though hopefully we can get through it.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Alon1 View Post
    All of that is very good except that you were saying the same things in Rodgers's 4th season, literally copy and paste.
    Can't use that stick to beat Klopp. If we keep loading disappointment and expectancy onto each successive manager then the position will become impossible. Klopp must be given time to orchestrate his team his way.

Quote Originally Posted by QuatreVingt16 View Post
    Can't use that stick to beat Klopp. If we keep loading disappointment and expectancy onto each successive manager then the position will become impossible. Klopp must be given time to orchestrate his team his way.
    I am not using that stick to beat him and I haven't asked for his head, no even close, but let's not pretend he is not making mistakes and it is all down to some imaginary learning curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Alon1 View Post
    I am not using that stick to beat him and I haven't asked for his head, no even close, but let's not pretend he is not making mistakes and it is all down to some imaginary learning curve.
    Okay, maybe I took your comment out of context. Apologies for that.
    I wouldn't put it down to a 'learning curve' per se though each country teaches something different, even to the most experienced of managers. I my opinion too, he has made a mistake in not strengthening defensively and would love to know the real reasons why. But I do believe that Klopp is the right man for the job. His idea pre summer was to have Keita and VVD now so its not that he doesn't know how to build a team. He's getting an awful lot of flack on here by people who say that they dont want him out yet are willing to portray only the negatives.

People are quick to forget we were linked with top players for the first time in a long time, top players who actually wanted to play here because of klopp. With better dof to finalise the deals we would be In a much better position. Having a top manager with a rep is a must

MiraclesArePossible is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by bagaante View Post
    People are quick to forget we were linked with top players for the first time in a long time, top players who actually wanted to play here because of klopp. With better dof to finalise the deals we would be In a much better position. Having a top manager with a rep is a must
    If we could get a Zorc-style DoF in that'd be very interesting indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by IncredibleSulk View Post
    Ox was signed to fit into Klopps tactics as rotational cover but it was a hell of a lot of money to pay for a player who isn't better than anyone we had already in any position he can play. Klopp put attacking options over solidity in midfield and the back and relied on the team press to make up for it. We signed cover before we signed necessities.

Klopp never won anything without better players than we have in deep midfield. The players he had at Dortmund when he won made up for the systems shortcomings.
    This is an accurate description of what's driving the angst over Ox. Not that he's bad necessarily, just that paying a club record for (i) a guy in the LAST year of his contract, and (ii) a guy who was NOT a necessity, either for numbers or quality, and especially when (iii) in the back, we WERE short of both numbers & quality.

In a nutshell, if we could buy another MF when we already had Keita lined up for next year, why could'nt we but another CB when we already had VVD lined up for next year (if that's really why Klopp did'nt want to get an extra one in).

Quote Originally Posted by TheRiedle View Post
    I think people are getting confused with criticism and wanting him gone. I could be wrong about it but I think 95% of the fanbase still want him to succeed, still want him to turn it around. A lot of the concerns were heavily discussed in the summer, it was said it'll come back to bite us and it has. I'm surprised and happy it's come this early though hopefully we can get through it.
    This.

It's especially frustrating that our current problems are SELF-INFLICTED, i.e. Klopp's had more than enough time to improve both the personnel & strategies for the back line in the past 2 years. I mean, the only CB's he brought in 4 windows are named Caulker & Klavan, and the only FB is named Robertson!

Now, while Robertson may be a success here, did ANYONE on these boards remotely believe in Oct'15 that those would've been the ONLY defenders brought in by Klopp in 4 windows, especially when that area of the field was the one he met in the WORST shape??

Quote Originally Posted by MiraclesArePossible View Post
    Indeed
    It has to be that level though, monchi or zorc or similar , not going for monchi and appointing Edwards was up there with the vvd fiasco in terms of sheer stupidity. I read on here that monchi would just sell our best players and buy cheap ones, as though that's all he ever wants to do, it may be what he was asked to do for years (and very good at, even with being told to do that by his bosses), but if he was backed financially he could work wonders.

No doubt we will continue doing stupid things and cutting corners then blame the manager instead

MiraclesArePossible is online now Boot Room insider
    Indeed
    It has to be that level though, monchi or zorc or similar , not going for monchi and appointing Edwards was up there with the vvd fiasco in terms of sheer stupidity. I read on here that monchi would just sell our best players and buy cheap ones, as though that's all he ever wants to do, it may be what he was asked to do for years (and very good at, even with being told to do that by his bosses), but if he was backed financially he could work wonders.

No doubt we will continue doing stupid things and cutting corners then blame the manager instead
    When I met Monchi I asked if he thought his methods would work at other clubs. He said he'd have to adapt them to each club, based on their resources and standing in the game. Suggestion being that he wouldn't have to put up with as much player poaching at Liverpool and could get on with spotting talent.

Quote Originally Posted by spikop View Post
    This.

It's especially frustrating that our current problems are SELF-INFLICTED, i.e. Klopp's had more than enough time to improve both the personnel & strategies for the back line in the past 2 years. I mean, the only CB's he brought in 4 windows are named Caulker & Klavan, and the only FB is named Robertson!

Now, while Robertson may be a success here, did ANYONE on these boards remotely believe in Oct'15 that those would've been the ONLY defenders brought in by Klopp in 4 windows, especially when that area of the field was the one he met in the WORST shape??
    Agree it's criminal imo. You can't call it a blind spot anymore when the problems are obvious. I wouldn't call Klopp arrogant but stubborn and ignorant seem to be his weaknesses. He needs to sort it out.
    ?

When I met Monchi I asked if he thought his methods would work at other clubs. He said he'd have to adapt them to each club, based on their resources and standing in the game. Suggestion being that he wouldn't have to put up with as much player poaching at Liverpool and could get on with spotting talent.
    I'd love someone with that gravitas here mate

Instead we have Edwards. Who has less pull than jay spearing

Jurgen Klopp is a world class manager. He was that before he came to LFC; he is now; and he will be after he leaves. I hope he doesn't think the roaring mice on this forum represent anything more than a relatively few who think their criticisms of him are God's gift to football wisdom. But, hey, maybe they will one day get their way and Klopp resigns. We end up with their real first choice: Big Sam Allardyce.

Quote Originally Posted by Destry View Post
    Jurgen Klopp is a world class manager. He was that before he came to LFC; he is now; and he will be after he leaves. I hope he doesn't think the roaring mice on this forum represent anything more than a relatively few who think their criticisms of him are God's gift to football wisdom. But, hey, maybe they will one day get their way and Klopp resigns. We end up with their real first choice: Big Sam Allardyce.
    Have you not been watching the telly and reading the papers? It's not just 'roaring mice on this forum' who are questioning Klopp, it's pundits and sports writers galore. Surely, when everyone starts talking about a particular problem/s there must be something wrong?

He's not above criticism, just because you think he's world class. Only one or two are calling for him to resign, the rest of us are crying out for him to make the necessary changes to stop the rot.

Well said.

I'd love someone with that gravitas here mate

Instead we have Edwards. Who has less pull than jay spearing
    The whole set up at LFC is wrong. That's one of my biggest gripes with Fenway. Seven years they have been here in a couple of weeks' time. SEVEN years, and still people running the club with no real football nous.

Quote Originally Posted by KOPGIRL1971 View Post
    Have you not been watching the telly and reading the papers? It's not just 'roaring mice on this forum' who are questioning Klopp, it's pundits and sports writers galore. Surely, when everyone starts talking about a particular problem/s there must be something wrong?

He's not above criticism, just because you think he's world class. Only one or two are calling for him to resign, the rest of us are crying out for him to make the necessary changes to stop the rot.

?

Marcel Brands of PSV is an interesting guy for us to look at. Laudrup seems like someone who knows how to recruit.

So no one can criticise?
    No one can make points about strategies or tactics?
    No one can make points about transfers?

didnt know we were living in the USSR under Stalin but hey.