Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 108 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,070 of 3233

Thread: As of now, what is your opinion of Jurgen Norbert Klopp?

TheSoundLady is online now Optimistic Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs He..eghhhh View Post
    Well,he is more dull than I imagined

2 years to fix a defence?
    In Chelsea and City terms yes, he's nearly at the end of his tenure.

But in Liverpool terms, he just got here. We give good managers a good length of time to build a team to win. And that's what he will get.

Defence, Attack, whatever. He got top 4 in his first full season, which is more than many predicted. Now it's his second full season and it barely started. So yeah.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

People are complaining that Klopp is not fixing the defense. That his big mistake was messing up the summer transfer window this season.

I've read and listened to quite a number of opinions around the liverpool defence (which must be the most dissected defense in the league by far). The one thing most pundits and writers seem to agree on...is that we lack real and vocal leadership at the back, as well as pace.

This summer, Klopp went all out for Van Dijk! He is known to be loud, pacy and an excellent organizer at the back. (We haven't had that since jamie left.) He also has brilliant recovery pace and is great at reading situations (Still remember him chasing down mane last season and putting in a vital block). He did not get his man and he held out for him. Van dijk put his career on the line to try and force a move and it still didn't work.

Next, he went to get a box to box midfielder, who is known to be effective at both ends of the pitch. Great at spoiling play, and even better at being part of the second wave of attacks that finishes (like lampard did) and with great energy. Also didn't get this done...until after the season started. Then he had to deal with the distraction of barca trying to lure coutinho away.

Klopp is clearly trying to put together a certain type of squad with certain type of camaraderie in place. Part of that includes not bringing in bit-part players who never end up playing and who can easily mess up the dressing room. So he is recruiting wisely.

Assertions of us not being good at the front. I saw a statistic of us creating 126 chances and scoring 7. That's a one in 18 shots conversion rate! Ludicrous! Even Daniel sturridge, who is lauded as being in the top 3 finishers in the country, is missing sitters! There's only so much a coach can do in some situations. If his system is creating the chances...how is the manager accountable for his players inability to finish these? he is responsible for sure, but the players should take accountability.

If Klopp goes ahead and gets his man (VVD) We would spend future summers buying one or two players max! All the building blocks would be there. I believe we would already have been a lot better off a la league position.

So please let's get some perspective before we bring out the pitch forks.

Quote Originally Posted by jmwaniki View Post
    People are complaining that Klopp is not fixing the defense. That his big mistake was messing up the summer transfer window this season.

I've read and listened to quite a number of opinions around the liverpool defence (which must be the most dissected defense in the league by far). The one thing most pundits and writers seem to agree on...is that we lack real and vocal leadership at the back, as well as pace.

This summer, Klopp went all out for Van Dijk! He is known to be loud, pacy and an excellent organizer at the back. (We haven't had that since jamie left.) He also has brilliant recovery pace and is great at reading situations (Still remember him chasing down mane last season and putting in a vital block). He did not get his man and he held out for him. Van dijk put his career on the line to try and force a move and it still didn't work.

Next, he went to get a box to box midfielder, who is known to be effective at both ends of the pitch. Great at spoiling play, and even better at being part of the second wave of attacks that finishes (like lampard did) and with great energy. Also didn't get this done...until after the season started. Then he had to deal with the distraction of barca trying to lure coutinho away.

Klopp is clearly trying to put together a certain type of squad with certain type of camaraderie in place. Part of that includes not bringing in bit-part players who never end up playing and who can easily mess up the dressing room. So he is recruiting wisely.

Assertions of us not being good at the front. I saw a statistic of us creating 126 chances and scoring 7. That's a one in 18 shots conversion rate! Ludicrous! Even Daniel sturridge, who is lauded as being in the top 3 finishers in the country, is missing sitters! There's only so much a coach can do in some situations. If his system is creating the chances...how is the manager accountable for his players inability to finish these? he is responsible for sure, but the players should take accountability.

If Klopp goes ahead and gets his man (VVD) We would spend future summers buying one or two players max! All the building blocks would be there. I believe we would already have been a lot better off a la league position.

Perhaps we should have bought an established striker too?

Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    Probably Sturridge and Mignolet /Karius are all on an unofficial trial till the end of the season

(As well as a few more such as Origi (maybe a bit longer than a year))

If Sturridge doesn't click by then then he;ll look for someone

Quote Originally Posted by Klopphopper View Post
    I'm not talking about Champion's League - I'm talking about winning titles which should be the main reason why Liverpool FC exists. I've said previously if I wanted a manager to take charge of a team in a one off knock out European cup game it would be Rafa. You say we qualified for Europe - yes, at a time prior to Manchester City being injected by a bucket load of money and the rise of Spurs. It was a top 4 back then - it is now a top 6. Liverpool could be crap back then in the league and still fall over the top 4 line, which it did under Rafa. Apart from one season in which he had all the tools to win a title and he came second, we did not look like coming anywhere near a title with him. And yes the money thing is a myth. He had money to buy players of the calibre of Reina, Torres, Alonso, Morientes and Mascherano. He wasted money on players like Babel and Riera. And are you seriously trying to tell me that Rafa and FSG's moneyball approach to recruitment would be a good match and work? Come on, absolutely no way.
    I was just saying that under Rafa we got to be the top ranked team in Europe, it should be no surprise fans would look back on that well. And I do think if he had been backed by FSG instead of H&G he would have won the league as well I reckon. Its relevance to Klopp would be that he beat both Real and Barca to the league in Spain as well, Klopp's winning of the league is obviously impressive as well but Rafa arrived with a better CV and we a European Cup. Only major trophy in one third of a century.

Can we see Klopp winning a European Cup or a league title? Its beginning to look a bit dodgy for now at least.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSoundLady View Post
    In Chelsea and City terms yes, he's nearly at the end of his tenure.

But in Liverpool terms, he just got here. We give good managers a good length of time to build a team to win. And that's what he will get.

Defence, Attack, whatever. He got top 4 in his first full season, which is more than many predicted. Now it's his second full season and it barely started. So yeah.
    What have the “Liverpool terms” achieved in the last 25 years in comparison to Chelsea/City or that would please you as a fan?

We have a manager that EVERY club in the world would love to steal from us, I think that pretty much says it all.

Klopp is LFC, he is top 3 greatest managers in the world, trust the man. There is no better man for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Collard Greens View Post
    We have a manager that EVERY club in the world would love to steal from us, I think that pretty much says it all.

Klopp is LFC, he is top 3 greatest managers in the world, trust the man. There is no better man for the job.
    Is this a joke?

What has he done to be considered top 3?

Quote Originally Posted by TheSoundLady View Post
    Precisely.

The worst part is the lack of self-awareness.

Great post Grenny.
    But .. but .. but .. I didn't say a thing.

I think you meant Gazza

GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by drexciya View Post
    Is this a joke?

What has he done to be considered top 3?
    He isn't in the top 3 imo.

But he is far higher in the world league table of managers, than we are in the world league table of clubs.

But like the club, he needs to move forward and not rely on past achievements.
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.

Quote Originally Posted by grenny158 View Post
    But .. but .. but .. I didn't say a thing.

I think you meant Gazza
    Grenny, Gazza, 2 great G posters. Easy to confuse.

I think klopp has put too much trust in being able to coach the players he has into winners but i think we will steadily improve this season and watch out for the start of next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs He..eghhhh View Post
    What have the “Liverpool terms” achieved in the last 25 years in comparison to Chelsea/City or that would please you as a fan?
    We've won the same number of Champions Leagues as Chelsea, one more than City (who never have), and we've avoided "cheating" by injecting billions of dirty money into our club in order to "buy" league titles. United have not injected billions of outside dirty money into their club, they've merely spent what they've earned, so I don't consider their massive spending to be sinister in any way, and if we ever spend like that, it should be because we earned that money.

Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    Yes, we really need this in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by GrottonRed View Post
    He isn't in the top 3 imo.

But he is far higher in the world league table of managers, than we are in the world league table of clubs.
    Aren't we like the 8th richest club in the world? Is he top 8 in the world? Debatable.

Aren't we like the 8th richest club in the world? Is he top 8 in the world? Debatable.
    Forget money for a minute and look at trophies won in the last 25 years. We wouldn't be in the top 50, would we.

Klopp is one of the 10 most sought-after managers in world football, certainly.

The PL money...and associated costs distort that though.

LFC are ranked 35th by UEFA.

Fowi is online now Hall of Fame Resident and Top Poster Who Shook The Boards
    The PL money...and associated costs distort that though.

LFC are ranked 35th by UEFA.
    That's solely based on European results.

Quote Originally Posted by Fowi View Post
    That's solely based on European results.
    Which is the best indicator of a clubs status.

Winning trophies and high league positions are the gateway to European football.

Having a low rating either means you rarely qualify...or if you qualify on a regular basis, perform poorly.

We are in the first group.

Winning trophies and high league positions are the gateway to European football.

Having a low rating either means you rarely qualify...or if you qualify on a regular basis, perform poorly.

This is a sad reality that cannot be bypassed by fan demands & money alone

Fowi is online now Hall of Fame Resident and Top Poster Who Shook The Boards

I agree, but clubs who can easily get into Europe on regular basis will score higher on the coefficient list than the 6th placed club in England, for example. So therefore a club like Liverpool should most certainly have a better team and stronger finances than say Schalke 04, despite them being 15 places above us.

I don't think so, he would probably make the top 10 though, just.

herbeer is offline Knows who has the Ranfurly Shield

Certainly there’s not 3 I’d swap him for

Quote Originally Posted by Fowi View Post
    I agree, but clubs who can easily get into Europe on regular basis will score higher on the coefficient list than the 6th placed club in England, for example. So therefore a club like Liverpool should most certainly have a better team and stronger finances than say Schalke 04, despite them being 15 places above us.
    I agree...but the fact we often finish outside the top 6 says everything about where we are/were as a club despite our income.

Forgetting our past, we were definitely punching above our weight when we hired Klopp.

Whether the final result will mirror that is far from clear.

From top to bottom, we need to do better and keep moving forward.

I think Klopp is the right man. The problem is we don't have enough good players, especially in defence. I suppose that could be put down to Klopp, though. He needs to sort that out in the next summer transfer window or this time next year he'll be in serious trouble.
    YNWA

Quote Originally Posted by Gegenpressing View Post
    I think Klopp is the right man. The problem is we don't have enough good players, especially in defence. I suppose that could be put down to Klopp, though. He needs to sort that out in the next summer transfer window or this time next year he'll be in serious trouble.
    Perhaps so but one could have the best defenders around but if you cannot have them organised or coached then you it will not make a difference - also there is no balance between attack and defence which leaves your two centre halves exposed then again even the best defenders will struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by jmwaniki View Post

Good post jmwaniki. No doubt it will also fall on a lot of impatient ears too who wont appreciate the wait.
    I really think that we were very unlucky with the summer window. Could have been great but for outside circumstances but at least we are identifying the desired quality.

I remain firmly behind Klopp.

I hope he leads us to the title.
    My ship is coming in.

Given time, he will prove the doubters wrong.

He does have his faults but who hasn't. Personally, I think he is perfect for us and will sort out our problems, as I say, if he is given time. And no, two years isn't enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Far Away Red View Post
    Given time, he will prove the doubters wrong.

He does have his faults but who hasn't. Personally, I think he is perfect for us and will sort out our problems, as I say, if he is given time. And no, two years isn't enough time.
    How much time?