Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 108 of 108 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108
Results 3,211 to 3,231 of 3231

Thread: As of now, what is your opinion of Jurgen Norbert Klopp?

  1. #3211  
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    24,280
    Quote Originally Posted by shody1976 View Post
    Not arsed about Can leaving.
    Same .
    How's you mate ?
    Can falters to decive too often
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #3212  
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    23,789
    I really like to stay away from such nonsense whenever there's a rough patch, because our fan base is absolutely toxic in similar scenarios.

    I'll just say one thing. The reluctance of Klopp buying suggestions from our recruiting team shows you how much he trusts them. Not wanting any alternative to his main 2 is very telling to me.

    All in all we have a world class manager and coaching team. The faults are in other departments of this club and have been for a long time. We suck at recruiting and we don't want to pay wages that the big boys do.

    So we either stick with the man that knows how to build a winning side. Or we just change the owners. There's no middle ground here. You can't keep changing your manager while your recruiting is this bad and you know the owners won't splash the cash. It's not gonna work.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #3213  
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    9,362
    Quote Originally Posted by redeyes77 View Post
    Everyone knows January is a notoriously difficult time to get players in. The players we should be looking at will undoubtably be involved in challenging for hounours with their respective clubs. I think itís unfair to expect major changes then
    Except when you sign players like Suarez Coutinho and Sturridge in January I suppose.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #3214  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,391
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Mike View Post
    More recently I've used the terms "quicksand" and "dysfunction" to describe LFC, and I believe they are accurate.

    You can almost see what Klopp is trying to build, but he's clinging to the hope that certain players can do a job in certain parts of the pitch while he focuses elsewhere. His willingness to role the dice on Mignolet is an example. Lovren is another. Henderson is another. Playing Firmino upfront instead of behind a top striker is another.

    He's rolling too many dice and hoping it works. It won't.

    We'll never hear it but there is no way Edwards should be in such a pivotal role. And you can be sure that FSG have imposed conditions on Klopp that we'll never hear about either.

    So Klopp might get some things right but the project will be undermined by set backs elsewhere. Coutinho leaving and Can leaving on a free are examples of both the quicksand and the dysfunction. Take Can and Henderson. I get the criticism of Can at times but the reality is Klopp should have installed Can at CDM not Henderson. Henderson is not suited to the position, but Can - given a proper run there, could have been the answer. He settled into that role quite well last spring when Henderson was out. It's too late now because I can't see Can staying under any circumstances.
    I agree with this bit, which is why I've shifted my ire more towards Klopp recently than FSG. Because they are'nt picking the inadequate, average players like Lovren & Henderson. And I doubt money would've been a problem if he wanted to say add Spurs' Sanchez at the Back (given that we spent almost that on a backup player for higher up the field) - that was entirely his choice to go with 3 senior CB's, none of whom would start in any other top-6 team (so yes, there definitely are more than 5 players better than what we have).

    Klopp's had the full backing of ownership & supporters, including mine (just about still), but he's been delinquent in doing his main job of improving us year on year.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #3215  
    Acumen is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    45,982
    Quote Originally Posted by tonylet View Post
    I really like to stay away from such nonsense whenever there's a rough patch, because our fan base is absolutely toxic in similar scenarios.

    I'll just say one thing. The reluctance of Klopp buying suggestions from our recruiting team shows you how much he trusts them. Not wanting any alternative to his main 2 is very telling to me.

    All in all we have a world class manager and coaching team. The faults are in other departments of this club and have been for a long time. We suck at recruiting and we don't want to pay wages that the big boys do.

    So we either stick with the man that knows how to build a winning side. Or we just change the owners. There's no middle ground here. You can't keep changing your manager while your recruiting is this bad and you know the owners won't splash the cash. It's not gonna work.
    What has he been building though?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #3216  
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1,264
    Quote Originally Posted by IncredibleSulk View Post
    Except when you sign players like Suarez Coutinho and Sturridge in January I suppose.
    Its the Champions League that makes it more difficult. Clubs participating will not wish to sell their talent. None of the above were to feature in CL.
    Ajax were already out although Suarez was already a talent and we did well to sign him.
    I can only imagine the reception here if January arrives and Klopp brings in a kid from Inter and a Chelsea reserve.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #3217  
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    27,129
    Quote Originally Posted by Acumen View Post
    What has he been building though?
    Yeah, that's what is hard to see.

    Basically nothing apart from a happy, motivated squad full of dross players. He will hopefully realise that we need better players at some point.

    Klopp can kiss Can, Gini, Lovren, Hendo, Klavan, Mignolet and Karius on the mouth as often as his lips can deal with the abrasions but he will have to learn the expression about putting lipstick on a pig at some point during his English classes.
    Last edited by Cullenator; Yesterday at 23:09. Reason: Ipad
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #3218  
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    54,124
    Quote Originally Posted by QuatreVingt16 View Post
    I can only imagine the reception here if January arrives and Klopp brings in a kid from Inter and a Chelsea reserve.
    What would your reaction be if he did this?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #3219  
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1,264
    Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    What would your reaction be if he did this?
    I always liked to see investment in youth but, in this case, I would be hoping for some (at least 1) player to be signed to walk into our defense. And if we dont do that then I will be disappointed for sure.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #3220  
    Acumen is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    45,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullenator View Post
    Yeah, that's what is hard to see.

    Basically nothing apart from a happy, motivated squad full of dross players. He will hopefully realise that we need better players at some point.

    Klopp can kiss Can, Gini, Lovren, Hendo, Klavan, Mignolet and Karius on the mouth as often as his lips can deal with the abrasions but he will have to learn the expression about putting lipstick on a pig at some point during his English classes.
    I have no idea what identity we have. Perhaps at a stretch it was a team designed to counter press. Lots of hard working players who can carry it out.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #3221  
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    54,124
    Quote Originally Posted by QuatreVingt16 View Post
    I always liked to see investment in youth but, in this case, I would be hoping for some (at least 1) player to be signed to walk into our defense. And if we dont do that then I will be disappointed for sure.
    So basically the same reaction as everyone else. The reaction you'd love to see?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #3222  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,195
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Mike View Post
    More recently I've used the terms "quicksand" and "dysfunction" to describe LFC, and I believe they are accurate.

    You can almost see what Klopp is trying to build, but he's clinging to the hope that certain players can do a job in certain parts of the pitch while he focuses elsewhere. His willingness to role the dice on Mignolet is an example. Lovren is another. Henderson is another. Playing Firmino upfront instead of behind a top striker is another.

    He's rolling too many dice and hoping it works. It won't.

    We'll never hear it but there is no way Edwards should be in such a pivotal role. And you can be sure that FSG have imposed conditions on Klopp that we'll never hear about either.

    So Klopp might get some things right but the project will be undermined by set backs elsewhere. Coutinho leaving and Can leaving on a free are examples of both the quicksand and the dysfunction. Take Can and Henderson. I get the criticism of Can at times but the reality is Klopp should have installed Can at CDM not Henderson. Henderson is not suited to the position, but Can - given a proper run there, could have been the answer. He settled into that role quite well last spring when Henderson was out. It's too late now because I can't see Can staying under any circumstances.
    Can has been very, very poor this season and has been culpable for at least four or five goals already. Yesterday showed why he cannot be relied on to be a #6. He thinks he is better than he is.

    You are right re Henderson though, he isn't suited to the position and in his favoured position (right of the midfield three) I would have Lallana over him all day long.

    Right now, I wouldn't be bothered if neither were here Jan/Summer.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #3223  
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    27,129
    Quote Originally Posted by Acumen View Post
    I have no idea what identity we have. Perhaps at a stretch it was a team designed to counter press. Lots of hard working players who can carry it out.
    We should sign some rugby players.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #3224  
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,353
    Quote Originally Posted by tonylet View Post
    I really like to stay away from such nonsense whenever there's a rough patch, because our fan base is absolutely toxic in similar scenarios.

    I'll just say one thing. The reluctance of Klopp buying suggestions from our recruiting team shows you how much he trusts them. Not wanting any alternative to his main 2 is very telling to me.

    All in all we have a world class manager and coaching team. The faults are in other departments of this club and have been for a long time. We suck at recruiting and we don't want to pay wages that the big boys do.

    So we either stick with the man that knows how to build a winning side. Or we just change the owners. There's no middle ground here. You can't keep changing your manager while your recruiting is this bad and you know the owners won't splash the cash. It's not gonna work.
    First bit of common sense in this thread for a while.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #3225  
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    27,129
    Quote Originally Posted by reallash View Post
    First bit of common sense in this thread for a while.
    29 million NET in signings since Klopp came in.

    It's so open to debate though.

    FSG have been culpable for years with their signings. Klopp has failed to address our needs. Who is to blame over Klopp's tenure?

    We have no idea what has been happening behind the scenes, but some of Klopp's comments about signings have been laughable.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #3226  
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,798
    Quote Originally Posted by reallash View Post
    First bit of common sense in this thread for a while.
    In another thread I mentioned that the problems stem from the directorate all the way down to the players... Klopp is taking the beating right now and it’s warranted, but that isn’t to say the board, recruitment or anyone else upstairs isn’t open for criticism as well
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #3227  
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    9,362
    Quote Originally Posted by QuatreVingt16 View Post
    Its the Champions League that makes it more difficult. Clubs participating will not wish to sell their talent. None of the above were to feature in CL.
    Ajax were already out although Suarez was already a talent and we did well to sign him.
    I can only imagine the reception here if January arrives and Klopp brings in a kid from Inter and a Chelsea reserve.
    Well it depends who is on the Chelsea bench and who the kid might be. If we bring the likes Suarez from a club like Ajax, maybe Lemar or something. It can be done alright.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #3228  
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullenator View Post
    29 million NET in signings since Klopp came in.

    It's so open to debate though.

    FSG have been culpable for years with their signings. Klopp has failed to address our needs. Who is to blame over Klopp's tenure?

    We have no idea what has been happening behind the scenes, but some of Klopp's comments about signings have been laughable.
    Seems like very similar events are taking place at the club now, to when Rodgers was here.

    Both uttered the words....I have the final say...both said this and it has been used as a stick to beat both managers. Except, Rodgers later admitted that he didn't have the final say. Is it the same for JK?

    The systems in place at the club seem to be deliberately confusing so as to diffuse blame or make it impossible to aportion blame in the case of incompetence. For example - Edwards, what the F' is he for? Is he responsible for getting deals over the line? Does he broker the deals? Does he decide on targets? Who knows?

    So, it is totally open to interpretation as to what goes on at LFC. Apparently and I say apparently because who the F' knows, a transfer list is handed to JK, he has the final say over who he wants on the list. I can see a scenario where JK is looking at CBs, VVD is on the list, OK go for him he says......lets leave that there shall we!!! But nobody else on the list is a CB who JK feels could fit his system. Hence the VVD or nobody crap and the Keita stuff, was Keita the only player on the list of CM who fits the bill as far as JK is concerned?

    Then we have the Robertson signing - a player JK admits he knew nothing of, but we signed him anyway!!!! Seems like a signing by the 'club' not JK, the AOC signing feels the same.

    Keep saying it - when JK arrived and was told of the transfer committee and that he would have the final say....of the players complied by the committee, I am sure he thought it would work well - it did at Dortmund, why would JK assume that LFC would be so incompetent in the market - he know now for sure.

    It seems like the system is identical, it failed, so we sacked the manager, appoint a new manager and the system will fail again.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #3229  
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    27,129
    Quote Originally Posted by reallash View Post
    Seems like very similar events are taking place at the club now, to when Rodgers was here.

    Both uttered the words....I have the final say...both said this and it has been used as a stick to beat both managers. Except, Rodgers later admitted that he didn't have the final say. Is it the same for JK?

    The systems in place at the club seem to be deliberately confusing so as to diffuse blame or make it impossible to aportion blame in the case of incompetence. For example - Edwards, what the F' is he for? Is he responsible for getting deals over the line? Does he broker the deals? Does he decide on targets? Who knows?

    So, it is totally open to interpretation as to what goes on at LFC. Apparently and I say apparently because who the F' knows, a transfer list is handed to JK, he has the final say over who he wants on the list. I can see a scenario where JK is looking at CBs, VVD is on the list, OK go for him he says......lets leave that there shall we!!! But nobody else on the list is a CB who JK feels could fit his system. Hence the VVD or nobody crap and the Keita stuff, was Keita the only player on the list of CM who fits the bill as far as JK is concerned?

    Then we have the Robertson signing - a player JK admits he knew nothing of, but we signed him anyway!!!! Seems like a signing by the 'club' not JK, the AOC signing feels the same.

    Keep saying it - when JK arrived and was told of the transfer committee and that he would have the final say....of the players complied by the committee, I am sure he thought it would work well - it did at Dortmund, why would JK assume that LFC would be so incompetent in the market - he know now for sure.

    It seems like the system is identical, it failed, so we sacked the manager, appoint a new manager and the system will fail again.
    I'm too tired to go through this with you, but a lot of that makes sense. I'm not sure about all of it.

    It's nearly three in the morning here. 4 hours sleep ahead. I'll come back to you on this.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #3230  
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,510
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBarnes79 View Post
    Can has been very, very poor this season and has been culpable for at least four or five goals already. Yesterday showed why he cannot be relied on to be a #6. He thinks he is better than he is.

    You are right re Henderson though, he isn't suited to the position and in his favoured position (right of the midfield three) I would have Lallana over him all day long.

    Right now, I wouldn't be bothered if neither were here Jan/Summer.
    Aside from Lallana and Coutinho, who can really cut it in midfield? No one and that's as big a problem as our defence.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #3231  
    Mersey Dudek is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    11,421
    Quote Originally Posted by reallash View Post
    Seems like very similar events are taking place at the club now, to when Rodgers was here.

    Both uttered the words....I have the final say...both said this and it has been used as a stick to beat both managers. Except, Rodgers later admitted that he didn't have the final say. Is it the same for JK?

    The systems in place at the club seem to be deliberately confusing so as to diffuse blame or make it impossible to aportion blame in the case of incompetence. For example - Edwards, what the F' is he for? Is he responsible for getting deals over the line? Does he broker the deals? Does he decide on targets? Who knows?

    So, it is totally open to interpretation as to what goes on at LFC. Apparently and I say apparently because who the F' knows, a transfer list is handed to JK, he has the final say over who he wants on the list. I can see a scenario where JK is looking at CBs, VVD is on the list, OK go for him he says......lets leave that there shall we!!! But nobody else on the list is a CB who JK feels could fit his system. Hence the VVD or nobody crap and the Keita stuff, was Keita the only player on the list of CM who fits the bill as far as JK is concerned?

    Then we have the Robertson signing - a player JK admits he knew nothing of, but we signed him anyway!!!! Seems like a signing by the 'club' not JK, the AOC signing feels the same.

    Keep saying it - when JK arrived and was told of the transfer committee and that he would have the final say....of the players complied by the committee, I am sure he thought it would work well - it did at Dortmund, why would JK assume that LFC would be so incompetent in the market - he know now for sure.

    It seems like the system is identical, it failed, so we sacked the manager, appoint a new manager and the system will fail again.
    Yep it's all very unclear and confusing...STILL.

    On your point about Robertson..I wouldn't go as far to say it was a club signing as I'm sure Klopp said I want a left back for competition. It's clear though that he left it to the scouts and probably had a look at videos of him etc and said yeah fine, I'll go with that. As you say, he said himself he didn't know much about him.

    Solanke is also a player he hardly knew anything about. He was advised it would be worth a shot so he agreed and let Origi go.

    The AOC one I'm still not sure why we signed him for 40mil. If he played a bit more, I might see it but up to now, no. I doubt very much though that it's a club signing rather than Klopp's.

    The similarity is there however, so far, with the fact that these players are hardly playing. It is still early and they might yet get plenty of game time.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •