Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: BBC agenda against Liverpool FC?

Quote Originally Posted by Bri_Bates View Post
    RedCafe is -> Moaninho...
    Why did they introduce 3 points for a win?
    Because people like you thought draws were good
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by seasonedtraveller View Post

Did I say draws were good? No, I said there are worse things than draws and you can progress in certain formats with draws. That said, I find the whole "play for a draw" mentality certain managers espouse against top opposition repugnant. Play for the win from the start but if it's not happening I'm not going to crucify a manager that closes shop the last 5-10 minutes of a tough fixture because losing is always worse than a draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Bri_Bates View Post
    Did I say draws were good? No, I said there are worse things than draws and you can progress in certain formats with draws. That said, I find the whole "play for a draw" mentality certain managers espouse against top opposition repugnant. Play for the win from the start but if it's not happening I'm not going to crucify a manager that closes shop the last 5-10 minutes of a tough fixture because losing is always worse than a draw.
    I said draws were costly.....you got all defensive. I was referring to league games not cups or champs league.
    That is why man city are so car ahead.....few draws mainly wins

Not directly connected to this topic, but I wonder if at some point the BBC will be taking down that annoying photo of Sanchez seemingly screaming to the camera while clenching his fist in his new Utd jersey? It seems like it's been their main photo on top since the transfer. Maybe they just think some people haven't heard about it yet.

In fact they use it twice on the same page. ******.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football
    'Okey doke, we'll leave it there so'

They introduced them for the same reason, or should I say the same theory, as is behind away goals, that it would make teams be more attacking.

Sure teams will take a point over no points at all, and the problem with away goals is it just means sides sit back looking to avoid getting mullered hoping to sneak a goal and go into the home leg with a 0-0, 1-1, 2-1 or 0-1 aggregate after the 1st leg.

Even more these days than in the past sides will fight tooth and nail for a point away, why play an open game against better players and a better team, making their job easier and opening up to getting ripped to bits. Even playing "parked bus" sides get ripped to bits.

Some do feel a draw is good if they feel winning isn't likely, and I'm talking about our fans. Not sure what any of this has to do with BBC agendas though, at the moment the BBC is all about the agenda gap and massively overpaid presenters taking pay cuts to appease whoever........ I'd not want to know why some woman isn't paid the same as her counterpart, I'd want to know why they are paying silly money to people for those jobs in the first place

Potentially interesting read on the 3 vs 2 points debate, only in one season since the change would the champions not have been the champions - Blackburn in 1994/95 would have lost on GD.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...n-three-points

Best way to encourage goalscoring is to make incentives along the lines of rugby bonus points, winners get bonuses for scoring X tries and losing sides can get bonuses. Seems unfair a side could play well, lose by any single goal margin and get less points than a side nullifies the opposition for a dour draw with no ambition whatsoever so the best way is to reward goalscoring over points, or at least as well as. Make it less desirable to draw 0-0, maybe only 1 more point than losing without scoring but making losing and scoring more rewarding.

That said sides who go behind early will just play more positive as they'll know their only chance of a point will lie in scoring, but then don't most sides react to conceding unless they're just looking to keep the scoreline football not rugby
    Last edited by TheDarknessIsCalling; 27-1-18 at 13:08.
    People will believe what they want to believe

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    They introduced them for the same reason, or should I say the same theory, as is behind away goals, that it would make teams be more attacking.

Sure teams will take a point over no points at all, and the problem with away goals is it just means sides sit back looking to avoid getting mullered hoping to sneak a goal and go into the home leg with a 0-0, 1-1, 2-1 or 0-1 aggregate after the 1st leg.

Even more these days than in the past sides will fight tooth and nail for a point away, why play an open game against better players and a better team, making their job easier and opening up to getting ripped to bits. Even playing "parked bus" sides get ripped to bits.

Some do feel a draw is good if they feel winning isn't likely, and I'm talking about our fans. Not sure what any of this has to do with BBC agendas though, at the moment the BBC is all about the agenda gap and massively overpaid presenters taking pay cuts to appease whoever........ I'd not want to know why some woman isn't paid the same as her counterpart, I'd want to know why they are paying silly money to people for those jobs in the first place

Potentially interesting read on the 3 vs 2 points debate, only in one season since the change would the champions not have been the champions - Blackburn in 1994/95 would have lost on GD.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...n-three-points

Best way to encourage goalscoring is to make incentives along the lines of rugby bonus points, winners get bonuses for scoring X tries and losing sides can get bonuses. Seems unfair a side could play well, lose by any single goal margin and get less points than a side nullifies the opposition for a dour draw with no ambition whatsoever so the best way is to reward goalscoring over points, or at least as well as. Make it less desirable to draw 0-0, maybe only 1 more point than losing without scoring but making losing and scoring more rewarding.

That said sides who go behind early will just play more positive as they'll know their only chance of a point will lie in scoring, but then don't most sides react to conceding unless they're just looking to keep the scoreline football not rugby
    You're right.

Maybe a 'bonus point" if you score 4 or more goals in any given game will encourage teams to attack.

MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHed2 View Post
    Not directly connected to this topic, but I wonder if at some point the BBC will be taking down that annoying photo of Sanchez seemingly screaming to the camera while clenching his fist in his new Utd jersey? It seems like it's been their main photo on top since the transfer. Maybe they just think some people haven't heard about it yet.

In fact they use it twice on the same page. ******.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football
    Nothing really about the results from last night either. The great result Bournemouth had against Chelsea AND nothing about Spurs beating United and the hoo ha that happened with Jose's subs.

Odd.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football
    The Normal One (Emlyn is in the house) - Est 1975

Was it any great shock to turn on MOTD last night and see us SECOND BOTTOM of the order of games!?!? I swear we won 3-0, are in a fight for top 4 and the citeh game was just another winkfest for the BBC team since they're even taking delight in telling us just how many points the boring boring gap to second is on website and probably MOTD if I'd bothered to listen to the pundits.

I wondered if it was going to be the oft ordered same evening matches then those the previous evening, but obviously us beating Huddersfield was down to them being so poor, and MOTD team, I mean joe public, not being interested in watching our game as even the 1-1 draws must have been so scintillating they dumped us near rock bottom.

I do advocate putting a few goalscoring matches down near the end to mix it up a bit, I'd hate to be a fan of a smaller club who wishes to watch his team's highlights but has to stay up near to midnight every MOTD because his team is boring and uninspiring (to MOTD)

Maybe that's because we played Tues night and they always show weds night's matches first on a weds

Maybe that's because we played Tues night and they always show weds night's matches first on a weds
    I considered that, as mentioned in my post which you can't have read properly, but I'm sure the last three games weren't the three from Tuesday, if you can prove otherwise please do. Don't believe Arsenal's defeat was the game before us and think the last was a 1-1 which might have been the only draw on Tuesday

LordJamieOfCarragher is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    I considered that, as mentioned in my post which you can't have read properly, but I'm sure the last three games weren't the three from Tuesday, if you can prove otherwise please do. Don't believe Arsenal's defeat was the game before us and think the last was a 1-1 which might have been the only draw on Tuesday
    Arsenal were on 5th

MOTD running order: Tot/ManU, Che/Bou, ManC/WBA, Eve/Lei, Swa/Ars, New/Bur, Sou/Bri, Wat/Sto, Hud/Liv, WHU/CP

There was an article on the mail the other week about MOTD.
    It listed who was shown first most often......I think we were 3rd in the list.....hstfly an agenda. I suppose they do have to be fair to less popular clubs fans.....it's not always about lfc

Quote Originally Posted by LordJamieOfCarragher View Post
    Arsenal were on 5th

MOTD running order: Tot/ManU, Che/Bou, ManC/WBA, Eve/Lei, Swa/Ars, New/Bur, Sou/Bri, Wat/Sto, Hud/Liv, WHU/CP
    It was late and I wasn't sure, but proves my point. Juicier watching for the audience, put on the "big games" from that evening and then the "shock" of Swansea beating Arsenal, but who really cares if Liverpool hold onto 4th spot with a straightforward win over lowly Huddersfield...............

Now IF we'd lost we'd have probably been on after spudz and citeh............... In fact I'd love to see the order of play across the gameweeks to see how our results and who we played shove us up and down. No great complaint about being near bottom if we draw nil nil, but expect we'd be higher up losing to some lowly side than beating them by a much bigger margin...........

And I was right on the last one being 1-1 and the Tuesday game (possibly) Couldn't be bothered even to wait for most of that agenda driven programme to work through, 15-20 mins of them drooling over the first game or three and then very brief highlights of any other game. Be interested to know if iplayer has it on at any point what time split is between first three games and the rest. Would NOT be surprised if the first three took an hour and the rest had to share the rest (12.25 finish so 100 minutes if my GUESS is correct)
    Last edited by TheDarknessIsCalling; 1-2-18 at 19:27.

It listed who was shown first most often......I think we were 3rd in the list.....hstfly an agenda. I suppose they do have to be fair to less popular clubs fans.....it's not always about lfc
    I don't expect it to always be about LFC, but considering we are second only to citeh in scoring and that's a relatively meaningless stat anyway on it's own as you could be first 7 times and be "3rd most often" and on last, second last or third last most of the rest of the time. Would only mean something if you knew average place in the pecking order.

Go do something useful, research how often we've been among the last 2-3 games and maybe produce averages, if you can spare any time between posting about......

I don't expect it to always be about LFC, but considering we are second only to citeh in scoring and that's a relatively meaningless stat anyway on it's own as you could be first 7 times and be "3rd most often" and on last, second last or third last most of the rest of the time. Would only mean something if you knew average place in the pecking order.

Go do something useful, research how often we've been among the last 2-3 games and maybe produce averages, if you can spare any time between posting about......
    In the table it also had teams who were on last most.....it wasn't us.
    The BBC has a duty to be fair. Not all licence payers are lfc fans
    Can't see what the fuss is about. I record it then fast forward it to our game....easy!

TheSoundLady is online now Optimistic Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Quote Originally Posted by MacFoley'1975 View Post
    Nothing really about the results from last night either. The great result Bournemouth had against Chelsea AND nothing about Spurs beating United and the hoo ha that happened with Jose's subs.

Odd.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football
    Not odd, but predictable. They're one of the most biased organizations in the *world* in my opinion.

MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSoundLady View Post
    Not odd, but predictable. They're one of the most biased organizations in the *world* in my opinion.
    Well it won't be the same now as yesterday was after a night of some great front page results. More transfer window and who bought who.
    The Normal One (Emlyn is in the house) - Est 1975

Quote Originally Posted by TheSoundLady View Post
    Was reading on the mail this week. Today's youngsters have a real sense of entitlement.
    If they don't get what they want....they're up in arms.
    Seems this is another example of s storm in a tea cup.
    Lfc not first on match of the day......the BBC must be biased lmao

GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Was reading on the mail this week. Today's youngsters have a real sense of entitlement.
    If you ever need to define irony to any one...these posts in this thread, would do the trick.
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.

Red-And-Proud is offline First team regular
    I agree the sense of entitlement is crazy. Obviously every media output including the BBC has bias, they spin that as target audience and obviously there is not so much interest in Liverpool as there is other teams, they go for views, it's a little bit like complaining the Liverpool FC channel only talks about Liverpool, of course they do because that is their audience.
    Klopps beard twin

Noticeable on MOTD2 that they put the goal of the month on before our game, thought that was at best thoughtless and tactless.

Arguable as to the order the three should have been, they like an upset so no surprise barcodes vs mancs was first up, think we all enjoyed that so arguably could have put it on last and people might have stayed up to watch it.

Oh and re the previous stat about being first on MOTD third most or whatever it was, been wondering how that works given we've barely played 3pm on a Saturday and naturally with the size of games we play on a Sunday then we're bound to be on a fair bit more than most of the humdrum sides that often play 3pm on a Saturday unless they're playing someone decent (coz they ain't in Europe like, innit) Also very hard to ignore the second top scoring side in the league, BBC do give it their best shot though

Oh and what lamebrain at the BBC came up with the front page headline picture shots idea? They ought to be shot, I could tell who had scored and had an idea of the scoreline to see eg Kane celebrating :FP: errr, spoiler alert you morons

Couldn't find a thread saying "Sky Sports are dumb". Just read their column on - Klopps plan b strikes gold. Have a feeling the person who wrote that hasn't a clue about us this season. Go have a read, embarrassing stuff.

WinterPoolStark is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertojones View Post
    Couldn't find a thread saying "Sky Sports are dumb". Just read their column on - Klopps plan b strikes gold. Have a feeling the person who wrote that hasn't a clue about us this season. Go have a read, embarrassing stuff.
    Saying Hendo wasn’t ‘accustomed to’ his position and had to ‘settle his nerves’ playing there shows what a noob the writer is. Emre is second to Hendo in that position yet the writer presumes it’s the other way around