Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950
Results 1,471 to 1,479 of 1479

Thread: Brexit...Deal or No Deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Alon1 View Post
    He is a clueless attention seeker, a failed trader that has made a living out of the EU. He should be made to return all the money he has been paid by the EU and to reimburse it to the NHS.
    That would require integrity on his part. He's devoid of it.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Never heard of that 100 bn figure, probably just an invention of the tabloids.
    Believe it or not the U.K. has been trading with the rest of the world for many years, well before the EU existed and through the last 44 years.
    You are a revelation to my ears

I think you mean it would be able to signs free trade agreements with the rest of the world? No, that wonít happen as there are many countries that donít do free trade agreements for starters, I think you can guess who they are, there are other countries that use free trade to dump their goods on your country, and as result destroying industries there, there are some obvious examples out there, some of them donít even need a free trade agreement to do that. In reality what will happen is that the U.K. would need years, or decades, to keep the trade agreements it currently has through the EU and perhaps the ex-colony to make up the numbers.
    The first part of that paragrhagh bored me. The 2nd part is quite accurate. It will take years for Brexit to work. Are you telling anyone anyhing they don't already know?

He is a clueless attention seeker, a failed trader that has made a living out of the EU. He should be made to return all the money he has been paid by the EU and to reimburse it to the NHS.
    Last edited by Jannno; Yesterday at 00:07. Reason: No need

Quote Originally Posted by dookar View Post
    Not at all, we've made commitments, it would be damaging to our international standing and our relationship with the EU were we not to honour them. It's small potatoes compared to the money involved in that relationship. It's also a key part of the withdrawal, without it we can't move on in the sequencing. It's a very pragmatic decision.

Out means out of the EU. Not sure what 'everything' means. Everything that the EU has an involvement in? WTO?
    Out has been generally pushed during the referendum as out of EU, out of single common market in any of its forms. Full on out. Hard brexit.

It's only post referendum that there's been nuances on brexit. Introduced by remainers I think but more and more adopted by brexiters of all kinds imo. I'm definitely getting a sense of the bully boys being challenged. Deadwood and Moggy et al. I'm waiting for the come-back. They have a effective base. It won them the referendum. It won't be hard to wind them up with accusations of elites undermining democracy.

Like I said. They have a legitimate argument.

Jeahemera is offline Armchair supporter
    Haiz,

I Hope Everything Is Fine

Quote Originally Posted by Luises-Finger View Post
    Out has been generally pushed during the referendum as out of EU, out of single common market in any of its forms. Full on out. Hard brexit.

It's only post referendum that there's been nuances on brexit. Introduced by remainers I think but more and more adopted by brexiters of all kinds imo. I'm definitely getting a sense of the bully boys being challenged. Deadwood and Moggy et al. I'm waiting for the come-back. They have a effective base. It won them the referendum. It won't be hard to wind them up with accusations of elites undermining democracy.

Like I said. They have a legitimate argument.
    I don't care how it was pushed. It would take only the tiniest research to discover the single market is not an EU institution

Quote Originally Posted by Jannno View Post
    I think 'Out' means what the people currently in power think they can get away with, notwithstanding an uprising by the people. Whichever side had won, neither gave a valid argument and it's only now as we play it out that we all see what the consequences are beginning to be. Still a lot for us all to find out. That's the strongest argument for a second referendum or an election with a choice of 'in' and 'out' parties when we know what the future would hold. Problem with the latter argument, ie an election to decide, is that the party on the losing side is effectively saying they think it's bad for the country to be in/out of Europe, respectively, so what happens to them in future elections when the decision went against them? It significantly weakens their claim to govern afterwards imo.

The stakes are very high for all sides. Hardliners know its a fight to their demise if they don't get it this time.
    I agree.... But whilst I could agree on a referendum about the nature of exit, I think the desire to exit was quite clear. 52% voted to leave at any price. What's happening now is the price is becoming visible.

I think it would need an election to actually reverse matters but I suspect the parties that offer soft brexit would win, for all the reasons you've given.

Quote Originally Posted by GrottonRed View Post
    It depends what you mean by "hardliners".

There aren't that many who want wto rules.

The vast majority want what is being touted by May.

Leave the single market and customs union as it is now...but keep alignment on trade standards which would allow a decent deal to be done on that...and allow us to negotiate 3rd party deals and control free movement...when it is in the national interest to control it.

If Labour got behind this...because it is what they want too...then Mogg and the others would be irrelevant.

Labour banging on about staying in the single market and customs union, just empowers the zealots.

Maybe Labour want a crap deal to help them win the next election...so they can blame their future mistakes on it.
    I broadly agree with your take. But I've seen no evidence for the bolded part. The real problem is not the few that want WTO anyway. It's the influence they have over a large part of the electorate who aren't bothered about WTO (though they should be). This group have for years, been sold on the EU as the evil empire. Everything it touches is evil. For them it's about not being listened to, for decades, by a system. Imagine how you'd feel having finally been herd, to then just be ignored. Fury? You bet. This is not about common sense. It never was.

Edit: I see the kick back has begun. Farage banging on about betrayal. First calls by the UKIP (Jeff Taylor on YouTube) lobby for May to go. Described it as remainer Parliament, remainer tory party, remainer cabinet, remainer prime minister. I love Jeff. A simple man, representing a simpler time. Don't underestimate the Jeffs of this world. immovable objects.

Brexiters need to sort themselves out. The problem isn't remainers. They're out of it. They lost. Its brexiters. The winners. They still don't know what they want as a nation.
    Last edited by Luises-Finger; Yesterday at 04:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Luises-Finger View Post
    I broadly agree with your take. But I've seen no evidence for the bolded part. The real problem is not the few that want WTO anyway. It's the influence they have over a large part of the electorate who aren't bothered about WTO (though they should be). This group have for years, been sold on the EU as the evil empire. Everything it touches is evil. For them it's about not being listened to, for decades, by a system. Imagine how you'd feel having finally been herd, to then just be ignored. Fury? You bet. This is not about common sense. It never was.

Edit: I see the kick back has begun. Farage banging on about betrayal. First calls by the UKIP (Jeff Taylor on YouTube) lobby for May to go. Described it as remainer Parliament, remainer tory party, remainer cabinet, remainer prime minister. I love Jeff. A simple man, representing a simpler time. Don't underestimate the Jeffs of this world. immovable objects.

Brexiters need to sort themselves out. The problem isn't remainers. They're out of it. They lost. Its brexiters. The winners. They still don't know what they want as a nation.
    Yes exactly. No use carping from the sidelines now as if they are still trying to kick the house down. Theyve done it. But like all extremists they hate responsibility and cant deal with it. Same with Militant Tendancy in the 80s. These Brexiters are the Tories own MT except they have support of 70% of our press.

Excellent article this morning in Observer by Andrew Rawnsley (whom Brexiters would describe as a commie im sure)

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-you-should-be