Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 817

Thread: Thoughts on Ox so far?

  1. #31  
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    46,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggz View Post
    So you name Couts and Lallana who are vying for the role behind. Sturridge cant play outwide. Ings injured. Solanke also like Danny is uptop. Woodburn also looks best in the deeper midfield role and Markovic seriously. Technically you've just answered why he needed 😜

    Ox allows us to maintain the shape etc

    But you knew all this. Your just typical of most on here that have all this knowledge about what should be done but yet fail to see whats so blatantly obvious.
    Phil and Lallana will mostly play in the middle three but can be used in the front 3 if needed. Playing any of Ings (who isn't injured as he *********** played on Tuesday), Sturridge or Solanke just means that Firmino plays wide. We've also played Solanke wide left already this season.

    My point is that we already have players who can give us what Oxlade offers without spending £40m. Milner, Gini and Henderson all run more than he does. Mané and Salah are faster (and better). Lallana is a better midfield option.

    Unless we play him at full back, I don't see the point of him.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #32  
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,595
    Biggest waste of money we've ever spent.

    Bang average player and we'll never recoup 1/4 of what we spent on him.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #33  
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    46,954
    Quote Originally Posted by SalahDressing View Post
    Mané and Salah won't start 45-50 games this season. Mané's missed three already, whether unjustified or not.
    And in those games, Chamberlain either didn't start or was terrible.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #34  
    TheKnucklesOfAgger is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    10,543
    He’s played less than a combined total of 2 games. Chill out.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #35  
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    33,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyfagan View Post
    Phil and Lallana will mostly play in the middle three but can be used in the front 3 if needed. Playing any of Ings (who isn't injured as he *********** played on Tuesday), Sturridge or Solanke just means that Firmino plays wide. We've also played Solanke wide left already this season.

    My point is that we already have players who can give us what Oxlade offers without spending £40m. Milner, Gini and Henderson all run more than he does. Mané and Salah are faster (and better). Lallana is a better midfield option.

    Unless we play him at full back, I don't see the point of him.
    Havin Ox means Firmino stays up top. Or Couts stays in the middle. This is why he is needed. Other players you mention mean players move which is why we struggle.

    Its hard to try and explain how squads work with a person who uses 'they run more' as a viable argument
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #36  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,381
    Literally the only position on the pitch we didn't need to spend £40m on was an attacking midfielder/winger. Not least a pretty mediocre one whose contract was up in less than a year.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #37  
    JurgenBelieveUs is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    11,516
    Getting 10-15 minute cameos really doesn't suit him.

    So far he's been crap but I want to see him start a couple of games.

    I'd play him instead of Gini away from home.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #38  
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    46,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggz View Post
    Havin Ox means Firmino stays up top. Or Couts stays in the middle. This is why he is needed. Other players you mention mean players move which is why we struggle.

    Its hard to try and explain how squads work with a person who uses 'they run more' as a viable argument
    But in the games where we didn't have Mané, Chamberlain hasn't started.

    In fact, against Burnley, Chamberlain was on the bench and Firmino played wide left.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #39  
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    33,489
    Quote Originally Posted by blaze31 View Post
    Biggest waste of money we've ever spent.

    Bang average player and we'll never recoup 1/4 of what we spent on him.
    Are you this dramatic all the time
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #40  
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    24,617
    I'll reserve judgement until January, only fair to give him some time to settle in, even though the likes of Salah didn't need any.

    I expect him to be a decent squad option, but doubt he'll ever live up to the price tag.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #41  
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    46,954
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBaros View Post
    I'll reserve judgement until January, only fair to give him some time to settle in, even though the likes of Salah didn't need any.

    I expect him to be a decent squad option, but doubt he'll ever live up to the price tag.
    See this is my issue with it - he may well be a decent squad option. He was a halfway decent squad option at Arsenal.

    1) You don't pay £35m for squad players with a year left on their deal

    2) £35m would have gotten us a centre back that would have walked in to our side and improved us hugely. Furthermore, the centre back in question (Sanchez) would have been *********** IDEAL to partner Van Dijk if we ever sign him.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #42  
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    33,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyfagan View Post
    But in the games where we didn't have Mané, Chamberlain hasn't started.

    In fact, against Burnley, Chamberlain was on the bench and Firmino played wide left.
    To be fair mate i was fuming with this myself. Can only imagine he'll slowly get introduced into the team. Bear in mind Ox hasn't had pre season with the club and its gonna take time.

    I think your more annoyed that the money should have bought a centre half. We needed both mate. Im also mad at the club for failing there too.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #43  
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,595
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggz View Post
    Are you this dramatic all the time
    Nah but you tell me what did he do to justify us spending £40m *********** pounds on him?

    Soon as Lallana is back AOC will be extremely lucky to make the bench! Tell you tho he can play in the Carabao Cup, oh wait.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #44  
    aylesbyred is online now Boot Room insider
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    51,949
    Quote Originally Posted by blaze31 View Post
    Biggest waste of money we've ever spent.

    Bang average player and we'll never recoup 1/4 of what we spent on him.
    Pretty harsh mate
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #45  
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,076
    Why do people keep saying we could have used the money on a CB?

    There's no denying we needed a CB of course, but do you really think buying Ox was at the expense of a CB??

    I don't think signing Ox and not signing a CB were related
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #46  
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    33,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyfagan View Post
    See this is my issue with it - he may well be a decent squad option. He was a halfway decent squad option at Arsenal.

    1) You don't pay £35m for squad players with a year left on their deal

    2) £35m would have gotten us a centre back that would have walked in to our side and improved us hugely. Furthermore, the centre back in question (Sanchez) would have been *********** IDEAL to partner Van Dijk if we ever sign him.
    We needed both to push on. This is where the club failed this summer mate.

    Allegedly we had 75mill for Van Dyke and no 2nd option so the signing of Ox hasn't any relevance unfortunately mate
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #47  
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,595
    Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    Pretty harsh mate
    Maybe, but it's the way I feel about the situation, complete waste of money and I bet Arsenal couldn't believe their luck.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #48  
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    46,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggz View Post
    We needed both to push on. This is where the club failed this summer mate.

    Allegedly we had 75mill for Van Dyke and no 2nd option so the signing of Ox hasn't any relevance unfortunately mate
    I'm saying that we could have kept that £75m for VVD banked and spent the AOC money on Sanchez. Our squad would have been much better as a result, even if we do sign VVD next window/year
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #49  
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    33,489
    Quote Originally Posted by blaze31 View Post
    Nah but you tell me what did he do to justify us spending £40m *********** pounds on him?

    Soon as Lallana is back AOC will be extremely lucky to make the bench! Tell you tho he can play in the Carabao Cup, oh wait.
    Lallana has been great in middle so will be pushing Couts and he'll replace Wijn as it stands now mate.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #50  
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    24,617
    Quote Originally Posted by hj77 View Post
    Why do people keep saying we could have used the money on a CB?

    There's no denying we needed a CB of course, but do you really think buying Ox was at the expense of a CB??

    I don't think signing Ox and not signing a CB were related
    Probably not.

    It doesn't look like Klopp thought his problems were as big as they are, otherwise he would have been after two CBs, making sure we signed at least one while Southampton made things difficult.

    Well his problems are getting to him now so I wouldn't be surprised if he rectified this in January. Van Dijk and another.

    If he lets this drag on all season it'll be the first nail in his coffin.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #51  
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    33,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyfagan View Post
    I'm saying that we could have kept that £75m for VVD banked and spent the AOC money on Sanchez. Our squad would have been much better as a result, even if we do sign VVD next window/year
    There was no 2nd option for a centre half we are being lead to believe so unfortunately that's not relevant to Ox
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #52  
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    46,954
    Put it this way, at £35m he's currently our second highest transfer ever.

    Is he worthy of that? Was that deal worth doing?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #53  
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    46,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggz View Post
    There was no 2nd option for a centre half we are being lead to believe so unfortunately that's not relevant to Ox
    But it should be.

    They both changed clubs on the same day. I'd rather we were in Spurs' shoes.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #54  
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    33,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyfagan View Post
    But it should be.

    They both changed clubs on the same day. I'd rather we were in Spurs' shoes.
    We also supposedly bid 75 mill for Lemar so easily could have added a Centre Half. But as a club its what we do. There wasn't an option other than Van Dyke mate. There is no excuse why there wasn't mate i totally agree
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #55  
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    27,390
    Too early to say yet.
    YNWA
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #56  
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,048
    Ox will prove to be a VERY useful acquisition, astute purchase.

    Naby Keita will be a world class player.

    All that was needed to be a perfect summer was to purchase a central defender with the potential to lead a Champions League title winning side.

    Don't let that last part make the other acquisitions take heat.
    Salah, Ox, Robbo, Solanke, Keita... actually a very good wave of incoming players.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #57  
    LivapewlDivas is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    10,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyfagan View Post
    Put it this way, at £35m he's currently our second highest transfer ever.

    Is he worthy of that? Was that deal worth doing?
    They can't all turn out to be steals.

    Carroll Oxlade Mane Salah all 35-40m signings.....of course the brits fail & the africans succeed
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #58  
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    495
    I don't want to be too harsh on him, he is a squad player that I think will provide a positive contribution in some games, in my view I can't see too much of a difference between him and Jordan Ibe, both have pace and can get past players but their final pass/shot can disappoint.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #59  
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    27,390
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyfagan View Post
    Put it this way, at £35m he's currently our second highest transfer ever.

    Is he worthy of that? Was that deal worth doing?
    Can't really say yet after just a few weeks with us.
    YNWA
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #60  
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,595
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggz View Post
    Lallana has been great in middle so will be pushing Couts and he'll replace Wijn as it stands now mate.
    You don't want to see Lallana and Coutinho in same team? One or the other is the way you see it?

    Midfield
    Wijnaldum
    Can
    Henderson
    Milner

    Attack Midfield
    Coutinho
    Lallana

    Wingers
    Mane
    Salah
    AOC

    Forwards
    Firmino
    Sturridge
    Solanke
    Ings

    Even having him on the bench will hamper Woodburns and others progression and that's my biggest gripe about it all, lot of money spent when imo our kids are better or will be with first team experience.

    We've got some great kids coming through and I would have preferred the likes of Woodburn, Kent, Ejaria, Ojo, Wilson getting cameo minutes instead of AOC.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •