Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time for a new Captain

Fowi is online now Hall of Fame Resident and Top Poster Who Shook The Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullenator View Post
    It's the chin, isn't it?
    It's everything.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

David Fairclough made a good point the other day. He said that if players made mistakes like Lovren and Matip did for the Newcastle goal when he played there would be team mates lining up to have a dig at them. The team was full of strong characters and you gave as good as you got. He bemoaned the lack of really aggressive characters in this team and I do agree with him to a large degree. There really isn't an onfield enforcer who takes on that role. I think if Firmino spoke better English he would be a good candidate as he is tough as boots but it falls off after that. I like the idea of Lallana as captain as he was inspirational when he filled that role with Southhampton. But does he make the team every week? I think I said elsewhere that I would have bought two players into the squad over the last 12 months who have that aggression and will to win. Nainggolan was one and Gundogan the other. Even if we bought one of those I think it would have taken us the extra level. The former is tough as nails and is a winner and never gives up. Before his injury Gundogan was one of the rare players who combined skill, aggression and toughness. unfortunately.....

kas74 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Roshi98 View Post
    Nah, he'd still be our captain. Klopp is very loyal....
    "Fulham midfielder and Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson".

Lallana is the only real candidate we have in my opinion.

Either him or Firmino who epitomises the way Klopp wants to play and generally leads from the front. But deep down, I know Firmino isn't captain material.

Lallana is the best choice out of the current players but will he still be a guaranteed starter next season? Good chance Keita will take his place.

Quote Originally Posted by drexciya View Post
    Lallana is the best choice out of the current players but will he still be a guaranteed starter next season? Good chance Keita will take his place.
    There's a chance we won't make any first eleven signings next season.

Klopp will probably be happy with Keita and that's it.

I doubt there are any centre backs better than what we have anyway.......

Quote Originally Posted by drexciya View Post
    Exactly, he won't be a starter next season. It'll be Keita and Coutinho or Lemar or someone new. We have absolutely 0 captain material starters
    Last edited by EmreSam; 3-10-17 at 13:45.

Quote Originally Posted by blaze31 View Post
    There is no one in the Liverpool squad that is Captain material.

And that's the bottom line.
    I would make Milner into a defensive mid and make him captain.
    He is at least solid, experienced, and a MAN

We are currently playing like a bunch of KIDS, running around all over the place, irrespective of the state of the game

WE need a MAN in the middle of the park to conduct on-field game management, calm everyone down, and with the ability to do boring - if that's what's needed.

JurgenBelieveUs is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by BoDiddley View Post

We are currently playing like a bunch of KIDS, running around all over the place, irrespective of the state of the game

WE need a MAN in the middle of the park to conduct on-field game management, calm everyone down, and with the ability to do boring - if that's what's needed.
    So what you're saying is, we better shape up?

Quote Originally Posted by JurgenBelieveUs View Post
    So what you're saying is, we better shape up?
    I think that goes without saying

Jannno is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    It needs qualities off the field as well as on, which Jordan might be good at. I think there'd have to be a clear improvement in both sides of the role to actually take the job off Jordan Henderson. If I had to, I'd give it to Millie though. He is stand out captain material imo, even though not playing every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Jannno View Post
    It needs qualities off the field as well as on, which Jordan might be good at. I think there'd have to be a clear improvement in both sides of the role to actually take the job off Jordan Henderson. If I had to, I'd give it to Millie though. He is stand out captain material imo, even though not playing every week.
    If it doesn't settle down by itself - playing Milner as a defensive mid and making him captain would at least get some structure into the side

He might not make a great DM, but he is at least disciplined enough to play the role without running around all over the place

As it is we have an axcellent captain.

TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Lallana would be my candidate.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRiedle View Post
    Lallana would be my candidate.
    Same

Lallana 100%, speaks well, has captain experience, plays with a passion and consistently good.
    Win Draw Or Lose, YNWA

Quote Originally Posted by RedKite View Post
    As it is we have an axcellent captain.
    axcellent ? Is that good or bad ?

Personally, I think the lad represents everything that is wrong at the minute

Quote Originally Posted by By-Lallanas-Beard View Post
    I think it is time this club got a new captain. I like Henderson but his performances have been woeful and something needs to change. We need more inspiration and a captain leading from the front. Perhaps this will let Henderson focus on his performances.

Who would be the next captain. In my mind there are two candidates:

1) Coutinho
    2) VVD

Ok I know that Coutinho is controversial since he may be gone next summer and VVD is not even a Liverpool player but we need players with real leadership even if that is for the short run. If VVD is arriving in January (big if) I say give him the captain's band.
    Last edited by Jannno; 3-10-17 at 21:51. Reason: Excessively abusive

Quote Originally Posted by By-Lallanas-Beard View Post
    I think it is time this club got a new captain. I like Henderson but his performances have been woeful and something needs to change. We need more inspiration and a captain leading from the front. Perhaps this will let Henderson focus on his performances.

Who would be the next captain. In my mind there are two candidates:

1) Coutinho
    2) VVD

Ok I know that Coutinho is controversial since he may be gone next summer and VVD is not even a Liverpool player but we need players with real leadership even if that is for the short run. If VVD is arriving in January (big if) I say give him the captain's band.

You are out of your mind that's for sure.

The two dumbest suggestions you could have made.

Quote Originally Posted by BoDiddley View Post

Well I'm relieved to see that you prefer men to kids, so that's good....

Last edited by GrottonRed; 13-10-17 at 10:50. Reason: abuse of mod team

Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2 View Post
    Where is this guy you speak of?
    Managing Celtic

So glad Henderson got dropped as Captain by England, hopefully Klopp will see that and finally act upon it and see that he is no Captain materiel and not even a starter for us.
    Win Draw Or Lose, YNWA

Quote Originally Posted by SinghIsLFC View Post
    So glad Henderson got dropped as Captain by England, hopefully Klopp will see that and finally act upon it and see that he is no Captain materiel and not even a starter for us.
    I agree with the Bolded part entirely, but in this case, he was'nt droppped as captain. As I pointed out a few times to people in his own thread (who were bigging up him being Eng captain), Southgate always said he'd rotate it every Int'l break till the WC.

I didnt watch any of yesterday's game, but from what I've heard/read, Kane seems to now be the frontrunner.

Quote Originally Posted by spikop View Post
    I agree with the Bolded part entirely, but in this case, he was'nt droppped as captain. As I pointed out a few times to people in his own thread (who were bigging up him being Eng captain), Southgate always said he'd rotate it every Int'l break till the WC.

I didnt watch any of yesterday's game, but from what I've heard/read, Kane seems to now be the frontrunner.
    I'll always remember Hendo vs Everton a few seasons back... one of the very best performances I've seen by an LFC central midfielder in the last 20 years. I know it was a fluke and never repeated by the lad but it was a fine 90 minutes and one he can be proud of. If he gave us that in at least 20% of his performances then nobody would be too alarmed at him being captain. He's given us that performance once... what we normally get is so bad its almost x-rated. He shouldn't be captain and should have been in contention. He shouldn't be a LFC squad player.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe-El View Post
    I'll always remember Hendo vs Everton a few seasons back... one of the very best performances I've seen by an LFC central midfielder in the last 20 years. I know it was a fluke and never repeated by the lad but it was a fine 90 minutes and one he can be proud of. If he gave us that in at least 20% of his performances then nobody would be too alarmed at him being captain. He's given us that performance once... what we normally get is so bad its almost x-rated. He shouldn't be captain and should have been in contention. He shouldn't be a LFC squad player.
    That is a fair statement considering some of the midfielders we have had in that time.

My memory is slipping but I cannot recall anything like what I would describe as a dominant performance from Henderson in his time here, also you need to seriously take into consideration the poor quality of the opposition he faced when you make that assessment

Time for some new players with a bit of aggression and leadership first. There's only really Emre Can to consider, and he's off on a free.

There isn't an array of leaders at the club like there used to be unfortunately. Hendo probably the best leadership figure.

Can tries to do things a lot himself still - like Stevie used to, and the captaincy and responsibility helped that. But why give the armband to someone who isn't committed.

Phil is likely leaving too and Firmino isn't a leader. Mane maybe?

would try and convince emre to stay by giving him the captaincy. cant see any negatives.

A) he would stay and is better than henderson

B) he is a passionate winner. you can tell he cares on the pitch

i would be trying to leave to if i cant nail a place in a liverpool midfield that consists of henderson and wijnaldum

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_Pat View Post
    would try and convince emre to stay by giving him the captaincy. cant see any negatives.

A) he would stay and is better than henderson

B) he is a passionate winner. you can tell he cares on the pitch

i would be trying to leave to if i cant nail a place in a liverpool midfield that consists of henderson and wijnaldum
    If he's not showing the level of consistency to win a more consistent place in that midfield in front of those supposed lesser players on merit, why offer him something else though?