Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How good ARE United, really?

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer-LFC View Post
    Exactly it would be a little rich of us to downplay their start to the season because of the opposition they've played when it's exactly that opposition that we always screw up against.
    Like elmothecat, you seem to think this thread is about Liverpool. It isn't.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

The only ones that can challenge City, both teams will finish well ahead to us so no reason to be very concerned about them

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    Centre back and left back areas, they've barely been tested.

Centre back they have 5, one of them in my view is decent (Bailly) while Jones, Smalling are both injury prone & Lindelof has a long way to go

Left back they lack serious options, if we were playing Ashley Young at left back here there would be an inquest alla Milner

Over the long haul I think and hope we'll see this

Perversely I imagine you and a few others will go out of your way to use this thread as a method to slate the club you purport to support, but I'm discussing the point of the thread, not a comparison to Liverpool
    if you feel that way maybe its credit to United for implementing a system that prevents there "weak defense" from being exposed, no?After all they have kept 6 out of 7 clean sheets

why would there be an inquest if my team has conceded only 2 goals and they're attack is banging in the goals

Everything relates back to liverpool in a liverpool based forum which consists of liverpool fans, there is nothing perverse about it? Raise a topic about liverpool on the United boards and the comparisons would start. Nothing is discussed in a vacuum

Quote Originally Posted by grenny158 View Post
    Like elmothecat, you seem to think this thread is about Liverpool. It isn't.
    Mate I'm not sure why you are expecting sensible responses here!

Quote Originally Posted by Klopphopper View Post
    I'm not having a conversation about us. I am making a judgment as a football watcher on what I see as the Scum's weaknesses. I am yet to remain convinced that their defence has been properly tested. If after they played some of the better teams and conceded zilch then fine I will change my views.
    i'm convinced that there are less better teams worth more point put together than what you get from the better teams. If this United team are flat track bullies than they have a high chance to win the league

Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2 View Post
    i'm convinced that there are less better teams worth more point put together than what you get from the better teams. If this United team are flat track bullies than they have a high chance to win the league
    We will see. I have no doubt that they will finish top three. I just think Spurs and Man City are better all round teams.

If Manure had Cleverly in midfield they’d too be crap. His dogxxxx spiritual brother is captain of one of Manure’s rivals for the title... not saying who.

If Manure ostracised (then sold) Bailly from their squad and played a defender signed for the grand total of £4m (or another that was so poor he nearly got the previous manager sacked all by himself) in there instead I’m sure they’d have conceded more than 2 goals so far. Obviously no manager is stupid enough to do something like that!

Manure put too much faith in their striker Lukaku. Yes he scores every game but world class managers would opt to not sign a striker and instead play a midfielder up top and tell them to be “cool” lol
    Last edited by Joe-El; 4-10-17 at 15:21.

spider-neil is online now Academy prospect
    Jose identies the holes in the team and plugged them. We identified the problems (that was there for years) and did nothing (almost literally) to address them.

I'm not having a conversation about us. I am making a judgment as a football watcher on what I see as the Scum's weaknesses. I am yet to remain convinced that their defence has been properly tested. If after they played some of the better teams and conceded zilch then fine I will change my views.
    It is ridiculous KH .. I started this thread to discuss United, and not in the context of us and our **** defence and stuttering attack, but because they have really not yet been tested by a quality side .. and the typical naysayers are in here like Usain Bolt to try a point yet another negative finger at Liverpool. And some accuse ME of trying to pointscore.

Quote Originally Posted by Alon1 View Post
    The only ones that can challenge City, both teams will finish well ahead to us so no reason to be very concerned about them
    I'm not so sure about that, Alon - Chelsea, Spurs are both very good sides, maybe even more balanced then United are.

Quote Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
    Jose identies the holes in the team and plugged them. We identified the problems (that was there for years) and did nothing (almost literally) to address them.

How exactly did he plug the holes in his central defence? By buying Lindelof and not playing him?

It is ridiculous KH .. I started this thread to discuss United, and not in the context of us and our **** defence and stuttering attack, but because they have really not yet been tested by a quality side .. and the typical naysayers are in here like Usain Bolt to try a point yet another negative finger at Liverpool. And some accuse ME of trying to pointscore.
    So you started a thread about how good united are but you dont want any comparison or relation to the other teams around them added to the discussion?So how are we supposed to measure how good they are if we cant talk about the weaknesses and strengths they have over their rivals

Mate look on the bright side - at least Gannymede hasn't tried to close the thread yet! And your national teams can actually play Rugby and cricket! But it is absolutely feral on this board at the moment. The deranged part of me actually would like to see Klopp sacked just to see the reaction here when we get Sean Dyke.

So you started a thread about how good united are but you dont want any comparison or relation to the other teams around them added to the discussion?So how are we supposed to measure how good they are if we cant talk about the weaknesses and strengths they have over their rivals
    Do try to keep up, Emaxx2, it really shouldn't be that hard.

Discussion of how they rate against other teams is exactly what this thread is for .. coming in here to say how great United are and how **** Liverpool are (which is exactly the point I was making as being par for the course for certain posters) is not.

Are we on the same page now?

Mate look on the bright side - at least Gannymede hasn't tried to close the thread yet! And your national teams can actually play Rugby and cricket! But it is absolutely feral on this board at the moment. The deranged part of me actually would like to see Klopp sacked just to see the reaction here when we get Sean Dyke.
    Uhm, as much as I hate to admit it, not sure that bold bit is too true. Record annihilation (57-0) by the All Blacks suggests otherwise .. same with recent cricket Test series against England, where we were crap. Like United, we easily beat the lesser teams (like Bangladesh, and without meaning to be derogatory about them), but we got put to the sword by quality.

Will United go the same route?

if you feel that way maybe its credit to United for implementing a system that prevents there "weak defense" from being exposed, no?After all they have kept 6 out of 7 clean sheets

why would there be an inquest if my team has conceded only 2 goals and they're attack is banging in the goals

Everything relates back to liverpool in a liverpool based forum which consists of liverpool fans, there is nothing perverse about it? Raise a topic about liverpool on the United boards and the comparisons would start. Nothing is discussed in a vacuum
    Fabulous, thank you for the views that once again relate to very little of what I've posted, you've just re-iterated what I've already posted to Bauer in terms of how they counter potential defensive frailties

No idea about your inquest line or what you are talking about

Last line, I think you got confused over the perverse factor
    Last edited by welshypool; 4-10-17 at 16:02.

TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyMc9 View Post
    they are not as good as what people say but worryingly for us they are a step or two ahead of us
    they threw money at their problems lots of it
    ?

United addressed the vast majority of their weaknesses in the summer, they did exactly what all big clubs with competant owners do. I'd argue they are far from the finished article and not on the same standard of united of old but they are closer to the top now than we have been for a long time barring one Suarez inspired season.
    The impressive thing is they are tactically shifting against teams we struggle against and getting wins , they haven't relied on dodgy decisions or luck (i.e. Not classic skanky United ), it will be interesting how they do against top teams , i.e. Do they go for it or rely on Maureen's chess brain

Tbh unless something drastic happens I don't consider any of the top four our rivals anyway , we are far inferior in too many positions right now, something which was spoken about often on here but often ignored , unfortunately our level is no where near top four and it will take the same 2-3 first team additions we still needed to make in the summer to change that. The problem being we won't buy what's required in Jan no doubt and by next summer we won't be in cl so fsg have their ready made reason for not spending as usual (and no way are they ambitious enough to do what's necessary and overpay on wages for the quality we need if we don't get cl , i.e. What Other actual big teams do). This is what happens when you cut corners for years , it becomes harder and harder and the fan base gradually accepts that , we are not winners with winning mentality anymore, we are the best of the rest perhaps

On the bright side we should finish above Everton

They are good, but their results look more convincing on paper than they actually were. Southampton outplayed Them completely and had several big chances and frankly they should have won. Against Swansea and Everton they were 1-0 Up until the last 5-10 minutes and only scored the last 3 because the opposition forced their lines Up high to try and get a goal. The other games I haven't watched so maybe they were more convincing in those. I'm not dating they are not good, but i'm saying teams shouldnt fear Them but attack Them instead cause they are good at breaking down Busses but i think from what Ive seen that they would struggle against a high press and attacking teams. They had massive problems against Southampton when they started doing that.

If Jose doesn't win the title with them it will be his first non title winning club? If they are throwing around 100 million quid at players like Pogba for the sake of it and not even getting top four it pus the pressure on this season for sure - and as if yet they haven't been put under any so it remains to be seen for me.

Quote Originally Posted by IncredibleSulk View Post
    If Jose doesn't win the title with them it will be his first non title winning club? If they are throwing around 100 million quid at players like Pogba for the sake of it and not even getting top four it pus the pressure on this season for sure - and as if yet they haven't been put under any so it remains to be seen for me.
    Pogba is one of the best midfielders in.the world.

He was signed for that not for the sake of it.

He's not really, he's a could be, but in reality despite his talent, his form over the last year or so does not make him one of the best.

He's been so far easily replaced through injury by Fellaini. Fellaini.

His absence appears to have had little impact because his overall impact on play was quite minimal.

Hype on the other hand.....

Quote Originally Posted by chrede View Post
    They are good, but their results look more convincing on paper than they actually were. Southampton outplayed Them completely and had several big chances and frankly they should have won. Against Swansea and Everton they were 1-0 Up until the last 5-10 minutes and only scored the last 3 because the opposition forced their lines Up high to try and get a goal. The other games I haven't watched so maybe they were more convincing in those. I'm not dating they are not good, but i'm saying teams shouldnt fear Them but attack Them instead cause they are good at breaking down Busses but i think from what Ive seen that they would struggle against a high press and attacking teams. They had massive problems against Southampton when they started doing that.
    Yes, this is exactly what I am referring to. The media hype would have you believe they are all style, flash and dominating (which admittedly their results have been) but it will be revealing to see whether they can do that against the top sides. If they do, then the media hype will have been on the money and they will be serious contenders .. but, if they don't ..

Yeah, his performances last season really confirmed that.

Amazing how you are quick to make a statement like that about Pogba - when he really did not deserve that accolade in any way - but you are ALWAYS very quick to run down Liverpool players. No question in my mind that, had we paid 89m for Pogba at the beginning of last season, you would be calling it an absolute waste of money now. But when it is a competitor of ours, then ..

Makes one wonder about you, frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJacker View Post
    I have a feeling they'll win the title this season.
    yeh its a horrific thought ... but a very big chance

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    He's not really, he's a could be, but in reality despite his talent, his form over the last year or so does not make him one of the best.

He's been so far easily replaced through injury by Fellaini. Fellaini.

His absence appears to have had little impact because his overall impact on play was quite minimal.

Hype on the other hand.....
    An indifferent first season with United doesn't eradicate his 4 top class years at Juve

Yeah, his performances last season really confirmed that.

Amazing how you are quick to make a statement like that about Pogba - when he really did not deserve that accolade in any way - but you are ALWAYS very quick to run down Liverpool players. No question in my mind that, had we paid 89m for Pogba at the beginning of last season, you would be calling it an absolute waste of money now. But when it is a competitor of ours, then ..

Makes one wonder about you, frankly.

Why because I think Pogba is one of the best midfielders in the world and I don't rate our midfielders doesn't reveal an ulterior motive.

You are way to Bias which obviously we know why, Utd have gone from 2 years of being average to suddenly back to competing at the top and smashing teams we can only draw against. While we have been average for the past 7 years apart from the 13/14 season.

They are a much better team then us, and they are the 2nd best team in the league.

And they will show how good they are on Saturday. Don't want to say we will lose, but im not confident even though were usually good against top teams.
    Win Draw Or Lose, YNWA

An indifferent first season with United doesn't eradicate his 4 top class years at Juve
    Surely you judge on current/recent form, not what happened over two years ago and then go further back again

Seems generous

In his Juve days he WAS one of the best, for the last year he's been nowhere that tag

Its a lazy assertion about Pogba, he's very much a hipster player that some fans regurgitate this line about, even when its outdated

Euro-77-78-81-84-05 is offline Ask him if the match is on TV
    Quote Originally Posted by SinghIsLFC View Post
    While we have been average for the past 7 years apart from the 13/14 season.
    What do you define as average and not average then. Some would say that last season we wasn't average. While some would say Man Utd were average for more then 2 seasons. This is the fifth season since after Ferguson left.
    YNWA