Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How good ARE United, really?

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer-LFC View Post
    Pogba is one of the best midfielders in.the world.

He was signed for that not for the sake of it.
    He is in his arse. United couldn't get the top players so they hyped up Pogba by paying 100 million and Juve laughed their way to the bank and built a better team without him.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Fowi is online now Hall of Fame Resident and Top Poster Who Shook The Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    Surely you judge on current/recent form, not what happened over two years ago and then go further back again

Seems generous

In his Juve days he WAS one of the best, for the last year he's been nowhere that tag

Its a lazy assertion about Pogba, he's very much a hipster player that some fans regurgitate this line about, even when its outdated
    He's been excellent this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Fowi View Post
    He's been excellent this season.
    He was doing well up until his injury, so a handful of games, he's been comfortably replaced by the wonderfully talented Fellaini since

Lots of players from lots of clubs have been excellent so far this season, I wouldn't rate them as among the best in the world as a result

Surely you judge on current/recent form, not what happened over two years ago and then go further back again

Seems generous

In his Juve days he WAS one of the best, for the last year he's been nowhere that tag

Its a lazy assertion about Pogba, he's very much a hipster player that some fans regurgitate this line about, even when its outdated
    Sometimes even the best players don't have great seasons.

Hazard had an utterly shocking 15-16 campaign. That season didn't mean he wasn't brilliant anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer-LFC View Post
    Sometimes even the best players don't have great seasons.

Hazard had an utterly shocking 15-16 campaign. That season didn't mean he wasn't brilliant anymore.
    Right, so Pogba has it all to do in the here & now which Hazard did & continues to do, not live off what he once did in another league a couple of years back (playing with far better midfielders around him to aid his ascension at the time).

Hazard at that time dropped out of being among the world's best attackers , no different for Pogba.

Quote Originally Posted by grenny158 View Post
    Yes, the test for them will be in the next few weeks:

Liverpool A

Huddersfield A

Spurs H

Chelsea A

Newcastle H

Brighton H

Watford A

Arsenal A

So, 4 tough games in their next 8 - if they are still unbeaten after that lot, or have taken 18 or more points, then I will concede they will be challengers this season.

Let's see.
    Agree.

A few pointers though.

1. Maureen has a habit of winning titles in his second season with clubs he's managed.

2. They now seem to easily beat teams they're meant to beat - opposite to us. Even if we beat them they'll stuff Huddersfield next game.

3. They have a squad depth we can't match.

4. They have a world class keeper who has frustrated us in the past.

5. Maureen knows how to play/neuter us at Anfield.

I predict a 2-2.

if we were playing Ashley Young at left back here there would be an inquest alla Milner

Fabulous, thank you for the views that once again relate to very little of what I've posted, you've just re-iterated what I've already posted to Bauer in terms of how they counter potential defensive frailties

No idea about your inquest line or what you are talking about

Last line, I think you got confused over the perverse factor
    You seem to have developed this odd tactic of denying ever raising a point once it is questioned.
    Last edited by Emaxx2; 4-10-17 at 21:29.

Do try to keep up, Emaxx2, it really shouldn't be that hard.

Discussion of how they rate against other teams is exactly what this thread is for .. coming in here to say how great United are and how **** Liverpool are (which is exactly the point I was making as being par for the course for certain posters) is not.

Are we on the same page now?
    No its the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by Joe-El View Post
    If Manure had Cleverly in midfield they’d too be crap. His dogxxxx spiritual brother is captain of one of Manure’s rivals for the title... not saying who.

If Manure ostracised (then sold) Bailly from their squad and played a defender signed for the grand total of £4m (or another that was so poor he nearly got the previous manager sacked all by himself) in there instead I’m sure they’d have conceded more than 2 goals so far. Obviously no manager is stupid enough to do something like that!

Manure put too much faith in their striker Lukaku. Yes he scores every game but world class managers would opt to not sign a striker and instead play a midfielder up top and tell them to be “cool” lol
    Cryptic assassin, you.

City and United are very good this season, make no mistake about it. I see one, if not both, getting to the semis of the CL.

The best Utd we've seen in almost 10 years.

No weaknesses in their side, every player knows their role and they perfect it week in week out.

So much for us laughing at them when they appointed Jose

Unfortunately, they are better than us. I fully expect to lose by 2 goals, could be worse. The thought of Hendo, Gini, Lovren, and Mignolet are already making me nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by Collard Greens View Post
    Unfortunately, they are better than us. I fully expect to lose by 2 goals, could be worse. The thought of Hendo, Gini, Lovren, and Mignolet are already making me nervous.
    The reality that at least 3 of those 4 will more than likely start against United is sickening.

The fact that 2 of those 4 have been rewarded with bumper new contracts is beyond comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2 View Post
    You seem to have developed this odd tactic of denying ever raising a point once it is questioned.
    Oh its not a tactic, don't judge me by your standards of posting

Easy mistake to make, so what was your point around that as it was still vague to me?

United have not been tested yet. We will see.

They're very effective. Still think City will comfortably win the league but united will be top 3. We can beat them next weekend and may well, but they've got a lot more to them than in previous years.

They'll win the league easily

Quote Originally Posted by MamadouTheHump View Post
    Why have Man City and Spurs ceased to exist? Man City in particular look a cut above everyone at the moment so I don't think anyone will 'win the league easily.'

^^^ Another one suckered in by the media hype.

I remember when City won the league with their first six games of the season as well. Good times.

^^^ Another one suckered in by the media hype.
    How do you work that one out? I think they'll win the league easily because they have a well balanced team and a guy who knows how to win the premier league managing them.

City look great but they can't sustain this for a season and spurs are spurs.

How do you work that one out? I think they'll win the league easily because they have a well balanced team and a guy who knows how to win the premier league managing them.

????
    Eagle Face Moron

And how do you know United WILL sustain this for a season? Because the media told you they would?

Have you even seen who Man United have played this season (not one team above 12th place in the league)? Have you watched their performances - did the scoreline inevitably flatter them? They are a good side but to say 'they'll win this league easily' and dismiss the likes of City and Spurs in the same breath is ridiculous - and, I might add, the exact reason why I started this thread.

Pretty good. With Lukaku they'll now best the teams they are supposed to beat. They finish definitely top 3. Still quite early to see if they can win it. Give it 8 more games and we'll have a better idea whether they can win it or not.
    YNWA

Quote Originally Posted by klopp in View Post
    United have not been tested yet. We will see.
    I don't think it really matters.

They're taking 3 points where they're expected to, and that adds up quickly.

CrawleyRed is online now The Jolly Green Giant's big brother
    They're obviously a very good team but nothing they've done this season has been more than expected. They've had an insanely easy start to the campaign. I need to see them do to Chelsea what City did last week before I'm impressed.

I know it was early in the campaign but the way they were so thoroughly outclassed by Real Madrid in the Super Cup leaves me with doubts about just how good they are.

They have a well balanced side and importantly, bought well in the Summer, and have given those players the environment to do their natural 'thing'. Yes, they have played lower placed teams but Christ, wouldnt be bad if we could do it against those sides regularly.

Oh its not a tactic, don't judge me by your standards of posting

Easy mistake to make, so what was your point around that as it was still vague to me?
    I am worried your "mistake" seems to happen a lot lately

Why would there be an inguest......Oh whats the point if you're going to deny ever mentioning Ashley Young in some minutes

Pretty damn frustratingly good

Unfortunately

And how do you know United WILL sustain this for a season? Because the media told you they would?

Have you even seen who Man United have played this season (not one team above 12th place in the league)? Have you watched their performances - did the scoreline inevitably flatter them? They are a good side but to say 'they'll win this league easily' and dismiss the likes of City and Spurs in the same breath is ridiculous - and, I might add, the exact reason why I started this thread.
    Again what's the media got to do with it? Do you think I sit around all day looking for pro United stories and form my opinion based on that? seriously?

City won't be able to sustain the intensity they are playing at simple as that.