Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How good ARE United, really?

1. #1 Default How good ARE United, really? 
    These are United's results this season:

United 4 West Ham 0

Swansea 0 United 4

United 2 Leicester 0

Stoke 2 United 2

United 4 Everton 0

Southampton 0 United 1

United 4 Palace 0

So, United have played 7 teams, the highest of which in the current table are Southampton in 12th place. ALL of the others fall below 12th place, so United have only really played cannon fodder. The big question then is - how will they do when they play a quality team? Are they really as good as the media (and some on these forums) are making them out to be .. or will they stumble once they start playing better teams?

Place your predictions on this in this thread. Personally, I think they still have issues in defence and will be found out sooner rather then later (hopefully, MUCH sooner, like in 2 weekends time) .. I can see the 'free-flowing' style being replaced by pragmatism as soon as they come up against quality sides, and they will drop points again as a result, just like last season.

I reckon they will make Top 4, but that they will not win the league. They are also nowhere near good enough to win the Champions League, but they may have enough in their locker to win the League Cup (this assumes they will beat Swansea in the next round), principally because the mighty Liverpool have elected not to compete in this competition this season.

Scum, scum, scum
    They are scum, scum, scum
    Like a pirate with far too much rum
    They are scum, scum, scum.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

You dont have to beat top teams to win the league, how good you are as far as the EPL is not measured by who you beat but your consistency on beating those you should beat

Holy **** only 2 goals conceded

Pretty damn good.

seen them play everton and were lucky not to get pegged back , rooney sitter and sigurdsson, score against them and it'll be a test, the longer the game goes at 0-0 the stronger they'll get
    Eagle Face Moron

GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    I guess we'll find out in the coming weeks.

They've had a very good start to the season, but as we've seen many times, that doesn't mean it'll continue.

However, they are looking good.
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.

I have a feeling they'll win the title this season.

Hard to tell considering who they've played so far.

They certainly in my view are not as good as their neighbour, whose performance at Chelsea was possibly a statement moment.

I still think they have some issues defensively that are yet to be remotely tested, though a struggling Everton had them pinned back for a while & looking dodgy.

You also can't rule out Mourinho's ability to invite pressure from his own players & media once they suffer a defeat or two. He can't help himself & he's been notably quiet during these smoother times for them...That certainly won't last!

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJacker View Post
    i think city will do it now they aren't conceding too many
    Eagle Face Moron

When talking about 'cannon fodder', it might be useful to list the games that we dropped points in, as apart from City, the rest all are in that same 'fodder' category.

Quote Originally Posted by GrottonRed View Post
    I guess we'll find out in the coming weeks.

They've had a very good start to the season, but as we've seen many times, that doesn't mean it'll continue.

However, they are looking good.
    Yes, the test for them will be in the next few weeks:

Liverpool A

Huddersfield A

Spurs H

Chelsea A

Newcastle H

Brighton H

Watford A

Arsenal A

So, 4 tough games in their next 8 - if they are still unbeaten after that lot, or have taken 18 or more points, then I will concede they will be challengers this season.

Let's see.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJacker View Post
    I'm certain Jose will win something with them this season. Not sure about the league but they have a really nice balance so far. And we know they have what it takes to make them difficult to beat. Wouldn't be surprised at all by another cup double.

TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    I know some will say they've only played the teams at the bottom half but these are teams we struggle against, United have been ruthless bet you Mourinho will be delighted with a point against us.
    ?

Quite a bit better than us.

Yes they've played lower ranked teams, but they've leapfrogged us this year. Their big problem last year was drawing too many games, which doesn't seem to be a problem so far, and failing in the big games. We will see how they do against the rest of the top 6 this season, however there's no doubt they are far better equipped.

They are title contenders, and a shoe in for top 4. So who in the top 4 will they replace? Unfortunately unless we rectify our glaring deficiencies, it will likely be us.

NY Mike is online now First team regular
    They're a lock for top 3 IMO

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    Hard to tell considering who they've played so far.

They certainly in my view are not as good as their neighbour, whose performance at Chelsea was possibly a statement moment.

I still think they have some issues defensively that are yet to be remotely tested, though a struggling Everton had them pinned back for a while & looking dodgy.

You also can't rule out Mourinho's ability to invite pressure from his own players & media once they suffer a defeat or two. He can't help himself & he's been notably quiet during these smoother times for them...That certainly won't last!
    Yeah what are those?

Alot better than us.

Sorry grenny, but I think you are just trying to divert attention away from us with this thread.

Euro-77-78-81-84-05 is online now Ask him if the match is on TV
    Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2 View Post
    You dont have to beat top teams to win the league
    We'd be League Champions if that was the case
    YNWA

Not convinced they will win the league as I still think their defence is suspect against better teams. As with Spurs with Kane, if Lukaku gets injured I think the goals would dry up too. Man City for me a better team and squad.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRiedle View Post
    I know some will say they've only played the teams at the bottom half but these are teams we struggle against, United have been ruthless bet you Mourinho will be delighted with a point against us.
    Exactly it would be a little rich of us to downplay their start to the season because of the opposition they've played when it's exactly that opposition that we always screw up against.

Not better in attack, if shots on goal are to believed......they've just been just more clinical than us. However at the back.....that's a whole different story. If we lose against them, you can guarantee it will again be our defense.

Definitely be in the top 3.

They've strengthened in the right places which obviously helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Klopphopper View Post
    Not convinced they will win the league as I still think their defence is suspect against better teams. As with Spurs with Kane, if Lukaku gets injured I think the goals would dry up too. Man City for me a better team and squad.
    Imagine your defence being called suspect when you have only conceded 2 goals by a liverpool fan. We have set the bar very high for our rivals

Yeah what are those?
    Centre back and left back areas, they've barely been tested.

Centre back they have 5, one of them in my view is decent (Bailly) while Jones, Smalling are both injury prone & Lindelof has a long way to go

Left back they lack serious options, if we were playing Ashley Young at left back here there would be an inquest alla Milner

Over the long haul I think and hope we'll see this

Perversely I imagine you and a few others will go out of your way to use this thread as a method to slate the club you purport to support, but I'm discussing the point of the thread, not a comparison to Liverpool

I think they'll win the league.

Imagine your defence being called suspect when you have only conceded 2 goals by a liverpool fan. We have set the bar very high for our rivals
    I'm not having a conversation about us. I am making a judgment as a football watcher on what I see as the Scum's weaknesses. I am yet to remain convinced that their defence has been properly tested. If after they played some of the better teams and conceded zilch then fine I will change my views.

Individually their defence aren't great but crucially their manager knows how to coach them.

Plus they have Matic in front of them and De Gea behind.

Acumen is online now First team regular
    Pretty damn good so far, with a pragmatist as a manager who's a serial winner.

Quote Originally Posted by elmo the cat View Post
    Alot better than us.

Sorry grenny, but I think you are just trying to divert attention away from us with this thread.
    I am doing nothing of the sort .. I am just as ********** off as the next person with our lack of appropriate signings in the summer.

This thread is very clear, and is not about Liverpool .. it is about the hype surrounding United at the moment, and whether it is justified or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer-LFC View Post
    Individually their defence aren't great but crucially their manager knows how to coach them.

Plus they have Matic in front of them and De Gea behind.
    That is a nice solution to have to those individual player problems

You can guarantee though Mourinho will press the self destruct button at some point when things don't go so smoothly for them, case of if not when but whether that will be this season or not we'll see

I think Man City look a cut above though

they are not as good as what people say but worryingly for us they are a step or two ahead of us
    Eagle Face Moron