Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast

Thread: ***International Football Thread*** 5th-10th October

Quote Originally Posted by NY Mike View Post
    Rossi, you're deal wrong. No one would argue that the current Irish squad is deep in talent because it's not. There are a couple of tidy players. like Hendrick and Brady. Most of them are grafters who try their hearts out for their country.

But Ireland has had much stronger squads at times in the past and have had penalty of skilled players in their ranks. Nothing like other counties who have massive populations to draw from but still quite good.
    I was referring to the generations of irish footballers come up after the one epitomised by the various Brady and our Legends Lawrenson and Stevie Heighway, mate,
    Last edited by rosso76; 12-10-17 at 16:10.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Just watched ESPN FC their ratings come up with 32% Honduras- 68% Australia to win the qualifiers. As an Aussie I can confidently say that's crap,I'd reverse the percentages.

Quote Originally Posted by Swooper View Post
    Just watched ESPN FC their ratings come up with 32% Honduras- 68% Australia to win the qualifiers. As an Aussie I can confidently say that's crap,I'd reverse the percentages.
    ESPN is terrible imo.
    YNWA

Quote Originally Posted by Cullenator View Post
    The percentage of high school to professional is very similar to other sports. I must admit I was a bit confused with the football/men's soccer part.
    I am a little as well since I am not sure what professional is for "men's soccer." It doesn't seem like there is a true HS to Pro path, it is more like club/developmental academy path to pro (somewhat more aligned with the European model?).

Baseball actually drafts a fair amount of HS players. It takes them a # of years in the minor leagues to make it, if ever, to the main MLB club.

I don't have a lot of insight on hockey. It isn't a HS sport where I live -- all based within private clubs -- whereas every other sport listed is.

Basketball is a bit misleading because current rules in place require players to be one year removed from HS. So many top players go to major college programs for one year ("one and done") and then go to the NBA.

American football doesn't have a true path straight from HS. Essentially everyone in the NFL goes to college for at least year or two and usually more.

Things are skewed heavily for American football. It is what I know best, what my son plays,etc The top collegiate division has 85 full ride scholarships available for most teams. Even basketball offers 12 of these scholarships. By contrast "men's collegiate soccer" offers 9.3 scholarships per team and few full rides. (The largest University in my state doesn't even have a division one "men's soccer" team.)

Sorry for going off the rails a bit!

kickthetyres is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Gordon Strachan has left the Scotland job..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41598733

MiraclesArePossible is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by kickthetyres View Post
    Gordon Strachan has left the Scotland job..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41598733
    Sad I won't be able to cheer them on when they appoint Moyes.

kickthetyres is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MiraclesArePossible View Post
    Sad I won't be able to cheer them on when they appoint Moyes.
    He's the obvious choice!

Or McLeish again.

TheKnucklesOfAgger is online now Academy prospect
    He's the obvious choice!

Or McLeish again.
    What's Berti Vogts up to these days?

He's the obvious choice!

Or McLeish again.
    Radio 5 also included Sam Allerdyce as well with McCoist and Charlie Adam being open to an English manager. Other names include McNeill currently managing Northern Ireland. There was also the bemoaning of 1 manager in the Scottish top 6 and one manager in the top two leagues in England/Wales

They should let Rodgers do it on his days off. Celtic is a part time job anyway, let's be honest about this.

When is the last time Scotland produced a good player?

Quote Originally Posted by Alon1 View Post
    Andy Murray

Charlie Adam remember? The guy whose corners alone were worth 10 million

Quote Originally Posted by AngriestRed View Post
    Charlie Adam remember? The guy whose corners alone were worth 10 million
    Per half .

A snip at half the price .

Mersey Dudek is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    Radio 5 also included Sam Allerdyce as well with McCoist and Charlie Adam being open to an English manager. Other names include McNeill currently managing Northern Ireland. There was also the bemoaning of 1 manager in the Scottish top 6 and one manager in the top two leagues in England/Wales
    O'Neill - no chance imo. Allardyce could be a decent shout.

**** just remembered how many American posters we have here, how do you guys feel? For me you are fundamentally the biggest disaster story of the World Cup.

This coming from a Welshman whose team managed to lose against a team who didn't really try to win.

Mersey Dudek is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by LovelyCushionedHeader View Post
    **** just remembered how many American posters we have here, how do you guys feel? For me you are fundamentally the biggest disaster story of the World Cup.

This coming from a Welshman whose team managed to lose against a team who didn't really try to win.
    Hey! We got our chance and took it

kas74 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    They should let Rodgers do it on his days off. Celtic is a part time job anyway, let's be honest about this.
    No doubt he'd fight for his life for them.

depends what you define as good, i think robertson and tierney are good with a hell of a lot to learn but massive potential. apart from that the closest has been fletcher
    Eagle Face Moron

Quote Originally Posted by redhoops View Post
    Andy Murray
    you guess right, mate,

Quote Originally Posted by Mersey Dudek View Post
    Hey! We got our chance and took it
    The inbalanced part of me think **** off Ireland you targeted and injured our key player, played absolute dog**** football which would stain the world cup, but the rational part of me says well done O'Neil, you bent Coleman over your knee and I am just completely jealous your dream is still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyMc9 View Post
    depends what you define as good, i think robertson and tierney are good with a hell of a lot to learn but massive potential. apart from that the closest has been fletcher
    Leigh Griffiths is good too.

Leigh Griffiths is good too.
    Decent player yeah. Probably Championship standard, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewdleyfan View Post
    I could grant you that he's about a decent EPL standard, obviously not a top six standard,

but you are underestimating a good goal poacher, which I restate he's not LFC standard,

take a look at the couple of free kicks he threaded in over England at Hampden Park last World Cup qualifier,

you'll realize he's real worth,

Quote Originally Posted by Bewdleyfan View Post
    I have this debate with my friend quite a bit he thinks Griffiths could be a good signing for mid-table, I say I'm not sure I'd take the risk for big money.

He does seem different to the Gary Hooper sort of flat track bully though and some of the goals he's scores are screamers regardless of the pub defenders.

I have this debate with my friend quite a bit he thinks Griffiths could be a good signing for mid-table, I say I'm not sure I'd take the risk for big money.

He does seem different to the Gary Hooper sort of flat track bully though and some of the goals he's scores are screamers regardless of the pub defenders.
    watched griff since he played at hibs, vastly improved , very good in front of goal, good energy , makes good runs but hold up play not great , would be a good option from bench for us in my opinion, better than ings
    Eagle Face Moron

watched griff since he played at hibs, vastly improved , very good in front of goal, good energy , makes good runs but hold up play not great , would be a good option from bench for us in my opinion, better than ings
    Ings doesn't make our bench though and I think he'd look very good in Scotland.

Somebody like Newcastle for example though, or even Everton could do with him as an alternative or an accompaniment to a lump.

I like his tenacity and energy, plus, he does score some quality goals. But still, for me, he's just a decent striker. Not great, but not crap either.

Looks very good in the SPL, but the Premier League would be a step too far, in my opinion. I could see him turning out for a Championship level side. But even then, he struggled to make an impact for Wolves a few years back. Obviously he's improved since then, but I'd be interested to see whether he would stand out in the Championship now.

Overall, it's difficult to gauge a players quality when they're performing in the SPL. Scott Sinclair shines for the Hoops, but he's an average player at best.

The inbalanced part of me think **** off Ireland you targeted and injured our key player, played absolute dog**** football which would stain the world cup, but the rational part of me says well done O'Neil, you bent Coleman over your knee and I am just completely jealous your dream is still alive.
    I'd argue that mind, he didn't do anything remotely different than the usual

Once Allen was cobbled our midfield control and pressure was dead in the water, up until that point it was all Wales

Just the way they play, defend deep and well, hope for a break down the other end and we gave them one

No tactical master class or outsmarting though

TheKnucklesOfAgger is online now Academy prospect
    I think thatís a bit of a stretch, Ings had a good season in the Premier League with Burnley, donít remember what it was, something like 13 or 14 goals. Not sure Iíd back Griffiths to do that, I think heíd play a Naismith type role at best.