Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    I don't have Facebook
    Do i exist at all?
    Do any of us?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

signed

Quote Originally Posted by -Topper- View Post
    No, just boycott the trendy ones so you can look righteous on Facebook.

You took the words right out of my mouth, Topper. Thatís really the only evidence a lot of people need these days to see if a cause as good or bad.
    'Okey doke, we'll leave it there so'

Quote Originally Posted by RedHed2 View Post

You took the words right out of my mouth, Topper. Thatís really the only evidence a lot of people need these days to see if a cause as good or bad.
    Slacktivists, is it? By liking something on Facebook they think they've saved the world.

Nothing is ever straightforward, is it? The club add a commercial partner to the portfolio in a growing market, but happens to link up with one that manages to draw some controversy. Be interesting to see how it plays out. If the deal is cancelled then somebody hasn't done their homework on the company.

Quote directly from the CNN article:

"It didn't directly accuse Tibet Water of any specific wrongdoing"

No accusations, let alone evidence to support such? Yeah, I'm done here...

(not signed)

Quote Originally Posted by Bri_Bates View Post
    Quote directly from the CNN article:

"It didn't directly accuse Tibet Water of any specific wrongdoing"

No accusations, let alone evidence to support such? Yeah, I'm done here...

(not signed)
    I think it points out the potential dilemmas facing clubs looking to generate cash in China. I'm sure most will manage to rationalize if there are sufficient zeroes on the cheque, as seen with "more than a club" themselves having that well known land of social justice Qatar on their sacred shirts.

Have this company done something specifically wrong? Or is it more a general protest about China's treatment of Tibet?

I think it points out the potential dilemmas facing clubs looking to generate cash in China. I'm sure most will manage to rationalize if there are sufficient zeroes on the cheque, as seen with "more than a club" themselves having that well known land of social justice Qatar on their sacred shirts.

Have this company done something specifically wrong? Or is it more a general protest about China's treatment of Tibet?
    Think it's the second. A general protest agains a chinese company bottling tibetan water

Think it's the second. A general protest agains a chinese company bottling tibetan water
    If there is evidence that this company has acted illegally to exploit a Tibetan natural resource, and isn't the kind of company you'd want associated with LFC then fair enough.

If there is evidence that this company has acted illegally to exploit a Tibetan natural resource, and isn't the kind of company you'd want associated with LFC then fair enough.
    I don't think you will find any evidence of any Chinese company acting illegally according to chinese law with their operations in tibet.but here is something for you to read.

http://www.meltdownintibet.com/q_mining.htm
    Last edited by Anubis; 7-10-17 at 17:02.

I don't think you will find any evidence of any Chinese company acting illegally according to chinese law with their operations in tibet.but here is something for you to read.

http://www.meltdownintibet.com/q_mining.htm
    Link not working on my phone but I'll Google it. Cheers.

Link not working on my phone but I'll Google it. Cheers.
    It works on the quote
    It's about European and North American companies exploiting tibetan resources.
    Also, one of the biggest producers of lithium is China, a big part of it comes from the tang plateau in tibet.
    Think about that all you electrical car fans.
    Btw that phone of yours, are you certain it doesnt run on a battery made of tibetan lithium?
    Last edited by Anubis; 7-10-17 at 17:41.

Slacktivists, is it? By liking something on Facebook they think they've saved the world.

Nothing is ever straightforward, is it? The club add a commercial partner to the portfolio in a growing market, but happens to link up with one that manages to draw some controversy. Be interesting to see how it plays out. If the deal is cancelled then somebody hasn't done their homework on the company.
    Never heard that one before, that’s a cracker!

It works on the quote
    It's about European and North American companies exploiting tibetan resources.
    Also, one of the biggest producers of lithium is China, a big part of it comes from the tang plateau in tibet.
    Think about that all you electrical car fans.
    Btw that phone of yours, are you certain it doesnt run on a battery made of tibetan lithium?
    Top Gear did an emissions bit on a Prius, and it was very funny. The amount of waste and general destruction involved in bringing one of them to the point of purchase was unreal. Clarkson may have embellished it a bit, but I’d say it would have had to be accurate enough.

The situation with regard to Tibet is simply that the Chinese invaded the country in 1950 and have illegally occupied it ever since. In that time theyr have relentlessly tried to grind the Tibetan culture, society and way of life into the dust. They are there because they want to exploit the many natural resources they can extract including pure water supplies. They wouldn't be able to bottle and sell the water if they were not there illegally and Tibetans are given no say in how their resources are exploited. A club like ours doing a business deal with a group like this only serves to give credibility to the Chinese occupation and adds to the misery of the Tibetan people. We should encourage the club to withdraw from this deal and make a stand for an oppressed people who are too often overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    The situation with regard to Tibet is simply that the Chinese invaded the country in 1950 and have illegally occupied it ever since. In that time theyr have relentlessly tried to grind the Tibetan culture, society and way of life into the dust. They are there because they want to exploit the many natural resources they can extract including pure water supplies. They wouldn't be able to bottle and sell the water if they were not there illegally and Tibetans are given no say in how their resources are exploited. A club like ours doing a business deal with a group like this only serves to give credibility to the Chinese occupation and adds to the misery of the Tibetan people. We should encourage the club to withdraw from this deal and make a stand for an oppressed people who are too often overlooked.
    Man City are part owned by the Chinese government.

Are you starting threads on their forum to boycott them? Or maybe writing the The FA about them?

Well said, I agree. LFC are, even if a tiny amount, adding legitimacy to a company perceived by the locals as a foreign invader.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPoolStark View Post
    Well said, I agree. LFC are, even if a tiny amount, adding legitimacy to a company perceived by the locals as a foreign invader.
    Ever heard of Northern Ireland?

Ever heard of Northern Ireland?
    Australia is it?

Joke, not sure what you mean?

Australia is it?

Joke, not sure what you mean?
    No, New Zealand.

There are supposedly foreign invaders in lands all over the world, but only certain ones are trendy, or get Hollywood movie star attention.

China thinks they own Tibet, Britain thinks they own Northern Ireland, etc., etc.

But we have to cut ties with a small water sponsor, yet Man City are, according to the numbers, 13% owned by the actual Chinese Government, the ones doing the supposed invading. Yet our deal gets the attention?

And purely because it’s a trendy and easy target for lazy social justice warriors.

No, New Zealand.

There are supposedly foreign invaders in lands all over the world, but only certain ones are trendy, or get Hollywood movie star attention.

China thinks they own Tibet, Britain thinks they own Northern Ireland, etc., etc.

But we have to cut ties with a small water sponsor, yet Man City are, according to the numbers, 13% owned by the actual Chinese Government, the ones doing the supposed invading. Yet our deal gets the attention?

And purely because it’s a trendy and easy target for lazy social justice warriors.
    I don't even know where to start here. The Northern Ireland situation is vastly different to Tibet (it's like comparing Markovic to Messi, they're both footballers yay!). The majority in Northern Ireland want to remain a part of Britain and if they don't, they'll likely get a referendum and vote out. I don't see that likely in the case of Tibet and China.

Calling Tibet's cause 'trendy and Hollywood' is a disservice to their struggles and only a person comfortably sitting in the West could make that statement.

Freedom House's 'Freedom Report' (a list of the least 'Free' places on Earth) has Tibet second just after Syria and two places above North Korea (fourth)! That doesn't sound very 'trendy and Hollywood' to me, far from it.

City has nothing to do with this, this isn't about boycotting the Chinese govt. but about not being associated with a company profiting from a region's name and resource when the locals see that as stolen property.

55 percent of the worlds lithium comes from chinese producers. A big part of the Chinese lithium is from tibet.
    Can we before we ask our club to boycott this deal be 100 percent certain that our personal phones dont have batteries made of tibetan lithium? Or are we hypocrites?

55 percent of the worlds lithium comes from chinese producers. A big part of the Chinese lithium is from tibet.
    Can we before we ask our club to boycott this deal be 100 percent certain that our personal phones dont have batteries made of tibetan lithium? Or are we hypocrites?
    Do you have (a) Millions of followers and a global reach? and (b) is your phone branded 'Lithium from Tibet'?

Do you have (a) Millions of followers and a global reach? and (b) is your phone branded 'Lithium from Tibet'?
    The majority of smartphones today are made in asia. With mostly chinese lithium.
    We as consumers are indirectly involved in the exploitation of tibetan resources, and the pollution that comes with it. And is worst then what the water industry is capable of doing. I think the club should drop the deal. But we as consumers are worse then the club

Also read the link i posted about the exploitation of tibetan resources by European and North American companies

I don't even know where to start here. The Northern Ireland situation is vastly different to Tibet (it's like comparing Markovic to Messi, they're both footballers yay!). The majority in Northern Ireland want to remain a part of Britain and if they don't, they'll likely get a referendum and vote out. I don't see that likely in the case of Tibet and China.

Calling Tibet's cause 'trendy and Hollywood' is a disservice to their struggles and only a person comfortably sitting in the West could make that statement.

Freedom House's 'Freedom Report' (a list of the least 'Free' places on Earth) has Tibet second just after Syria and two places above North Korea (fourth)! That doesn't sound very 'trendy and Hollywood' to me, far from it.

City has nothing to do with this, this isn't about boycotting the Chinese govt. but about not being associated with a company profiting from a region's name and resource when the locals see that as stolen property.
    With all due respect, that's a completely ignorant understanding of the situation, talk about not knowing where to start...

Ireland, as a whole, is Tibet in this scenario. Northern Ireland is a small piece of the whole country that Britain still claims ownership of. It was handed over to them in 1922 in order for them to get out of the rest of the country.

If you don’t know even the basics of that, then trying to get you to understand the rest isn’t really worth either of our time.

You’re a sound fella, and I really don’t want this rubbish to cause any friction between us Liverpool supporters.
    Last edited by RedHed2; 9-10-17 at 13:52.

Exactly.

With all due respect, that's a completely ignorant understanding of the situation, talk about not knowing where to start...

Ireland, as a whole, is Tibet in this scenario. Northern Ireland is a small piece of the whole country that Britain still claims ownership of. It was handed over to them in 1922 in order for them to get out of the rest of the country.

If you don’t know even the basics of that, then trying to get you to understand the rest isn’t really worth either of our time.

You’re a sound fella, and I really don’t want this rubbish to cause any friction between us Liverpool supporters.
    I agree with your last paragraph but I can't help but reply

Ireland would be similar to Tibet if the whole of Ireland was still under British rule. The splitting of Ireland was due to the wishes of the locals wasn't it? To separate the religious minority from the Catholic south. They can request to be part of the main Ireland if they want, though it doesn't seem like they do (maybe in the future but the option is there).

I agree with your last paragraph but I can't help but reply

Ireland would be similar to Tibet if the whole of Ireland was still under British rule. The splitting of Ireland was due to the wishes of the locals wasn't it? To separate the religious minority from the Catholic south. They can request to be part of the main Ireland if they want, though it doesn't seem like they do (maybe in the future but the option is there).
    No, it was done reluctantly as the best deal we could get at the time, and caused huge divide and civil war. It had nothing to do with religion either. And two of our main political parties have as foundational principles the reunification of the whole country. The reality is that a foreign power still governs part of our country, and the Irish in the north have only in the last 20-30 years been treated as equals, and it didn’t happen without a fight, as we all tragically know.

But let’s stick to football, there’s really nothing to be gained by all of this. I just wish the op had the moral courage to tackle the heart of the problem instead of the easy targets.

Man City are part owned by the Chinese government.

Are you starting threads on their forum to boycott them? Or maybe writing the The FA about them?
    No because I am a Liverpool supporter and this is being done by our club and in our name. It is something that we - as supporters - need to protest about.

In a week close to 30,000 people have sent a message to John W. Henry asking him to reconsider this deal. Someone has to stand up for people whose human rights are being denied:

https://actions.tibetnetwork.org/tel...-tibet-water-0

No because I am a Liverpool supporter and this is being done by our club and in our name. It is something that we - as supporters - need to protest about.

In a week close to 30,000 people have sent a message to John W. Henry asking him to reconsider this deal. Someone has to stand up for people whose human rights are being denied:

https://actions.tibetnetwork.org/tel...-tibet-water-0
    Of course they did, and we'll drop the sponsor. It’s how these games work.

Meanwhile the majority of Liverpool supporters around the world use phones containing lithium mined in Tibet, and will have most likely signed the petition using those phones, and everyone lives happily ever after.