Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 63

Thread: Tibet and Liverpool FC

  1. #1 Crest Tibet and Liverpool FC 
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    13
    I think all Red's fans should consider this issue:


    Tibet groups around the world have launched a campaign to press Liverpool FC to terminate a controversial deal with Chinese water bottling company Tibet Water Resources Limited.

    The campaign calls on Liverpool FC's owner, John W. Henry, to terminate the deal with Tibet Water due to the ethical concerns over dealing with a company operating in occupied Tibet, the scene of some the worst and longest-running human rights abuses in the world.

    Tibet organisations, including Free Tibet and Tibet Society have written to Liverpool FC's owner and directors to alert them to the serious situation in Tibet and how their deal with Tibet Water is harmful to both Tibetans and Liverpool FC's reputation.

    You can read more here:

    https://actions.tibetnetwork.org/tel...-tibet-water-0
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #2  
    GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    23,646
    mod bump due to late approval.
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #3  
    GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    23,646
    signed
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #4  
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1,767
    really glad someone has had the courage to put football second in making this thread. Think that a player biting someone drags our clubs name through the mud, this is much worse, I urge every liverpool fan to sign the petition it's only a few clicks.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #5  
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3,242
    Are there any allegations about the company itself or is it just a broad "they're operating in Tibet so they must be bad" grouping?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #6  
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,214
    Signed mate.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #7  
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    7,050
    Done.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #8  
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri_Bates View Post
    Are there any allegations about the company itself or is it just a broad "they're operating in Tibet so they must be bad" grouping?
    I think it's just a broad "they're operating in Tibet so they must be exploiting Tibet' grouping thing.
    Manchester United Supporter
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #9  
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3,242
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilYouKnow View Post
    I think it's just a broad "they're operating in Tibet so they must be exploiting Tibet' grouping thing.
    Then I'll respectfully pass on signing until contrary information is provided.

    There's no reason not to deal with companies that aren't specifically involved in things like child labor exploitation and the like just because they operate in areas where those practices happen. In fact, that somewhat sends the exact wrong message. You should want to do business with companies choosing the "right way" when they could easily choose not to do so.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #10  
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri_Bates View Post
    Then I'll respectfully pass on signing until contrary information is provided.

    There's no reason not to deal with companies that aren't specifically involved in things like child labor exploitation and the like just because they operate in areas where those practices happen. In fact, that somewhat sends the exact wrong message. You should want to do business with companies choosing the "right way" when they could easily choose not to do so.
    Clearly you know nothing about Tibet and China. Ignorance is bliss.

    Signed btw.
    Manchester United Supporter
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #11  
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri_Bates View Post
    Then I'll respectfully pass on signing until contrary information is provided.

    There's no reason not to deal with companies that aren't specifically involved in things like child labor exploitation and the like just because they operate in areas where those practices happen. In fact, that somewhat sends the exact wrong message. You should want to do business with companies choosing the "right way" when they could easily choose not to do so.
    From what I’ve read, the company are benefiting from China’s occupation of Tibet. The company are actually from Hong Kong.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #12  
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3,242
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilYouKnow View Post
    Clearly you know nothing about Tibet and China. Ignorance is bliss.

    Signed btw.
    I know a decent amount, I also know enough to know that umbrella statements of that type are generally inaccurate. I'm also a Yank so the whole "innocent until proven guilty" thing comes naturally to me. I'm not going to advocate any sort of boycott against any company until shown some evidence that said company is doing wrong is provided.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #13  
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri_Bates View Post
    I know a decent amount, I also know enough to know that umbrella statements of that type are generally inaccurate. I'm also a Yank so the whole "innocent until proven guilty" thing comes naturally to me. I'm not going to advocate any sort of boycott against any company until shown some evidence that said company is doing wrong is provided.
    You know a decent amount about China's occupation of Tibet and you spout innocent until proven guilty?

    It's only money, you can get it elsewhere.

    Anyway I'm no preacher, you can think, say and do what you like, that's your problem.
    Manchester United Supporter
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #14  
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    16,603
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilYouKnow View Post
    You know a decent amount about China's occupation of Tibet and you spout innocent until proven guilty?

    It's only money, you can get it elsewhere.

    Anyway I'm no preacher, you can think, say and do what you like, that's your problem.
    I’m pretty sure he’s talking about the company being 'innocent until proven guilty', not China.

    But knock yourself out convicting them without evidence, it’s all the rage these days.
    Last edited by RedHed2; 6-10-17 at 17:31.
    'Okey doke, we'll leave it there so'
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #15  
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    8,740
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri_Bates View Post
    I know a decent amount, I also know enough to know that umbrella statements of that type are generally inaccurate. I'm also a Yank so the whole "innocent until proven guilty" thing comes naturally to me. I'm not going to advocate any sort of boycott against any company until shown some evidence that said company is doing wrong is provided.
    You don't sound like you do, I agree with TheDevil (yikes!).

    This may put things in to perspective a little:

    Free Tibet director Eleanor Byrne-Rosengren said (about the 'stealing' of Tibet's natural resources because that's what it is):

    “China is plundering Tibet for natural resources from rare earths to the most basic and essential of all. Tibet’s water is not an infinitely renewable resource and thanks to melting glaciers and China paving Tibet’s mountains with dams, now is the worst possible time to turn it into a consumer product. The bottled water ‘gold rush’ in Tibet isn’t just a scramble for profit but threatens the hundreds of millions of people across Asia who depend on water from the Tibetan Plateau. The rights of those people and the Tibetans to whom this resource rightfully belongs are being swept aside.

    “No business operating in Tibet can be untainted by the Chinese government’s occupation and repression and the word ‘Tibet’ in a company’s name should be a red flag to any investor. Any Chinese business which is exploiting Tibetan natural resources at the behest of China’s government is also party to theft on a grand scale and is embedded in the destruction of Tibet’s unique natural environment. We’re providing investors with the facts so they can get their money out of this business. Every company we can identify investing in Tibet Water Resources will be hearing from us and from our supporters soon. We hope they will all do the right thing.”

    Water - the most basic of natural resources is being used for profiteering by a Chinese company from Tibet. Tibetans don't want them there, the Chinese aren't willing to leave. How does that sit right with you?

    Why did LFC get involved with this **** anyway
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #16  
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    16,603
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterPoolStark View Post
    You don't sound like you do, I agree with TheDevil (yikes!).

    This may put things in to perspective a little:

    Free Tibet director Eleanor Byrne-Rosengren said (about the 'stealing' of Tibet's natural resources because that's what it is):

    “China is plundering Tibet for natural resources from rare earths to the most basic and essential of all. Tibet’s water is not an infinitely renewable resource and thanks to melting glaciers and China paving Tibet’s mountains with dams, now is the worst possible time to turn it into a consumer product. The bottled water ‘gold rush’ in Tibet isn’t just a scramble for profit but threatens the hundreds of millions of people across Asia who depend on water from the Tibetan Plateau. The rights of those people and the Tibetans to whom this resource rightfully belongs are being swept aside.

    “No business operating in Tibet can be untainted by the Chinese government’s occupation and repression and the word ‘Tibet’ in a company’s name should be a red flag to any investor. Any Chinese business which is exploiting Tibetan natural resources at the behest of China’s government is also party to theft on a grand scale and is embedded in the destruction of Tibet’s unique natural environment. We’re providing investors with the facts so they can get their money out of this business. Every company we can identify investing in Tibet Water Resources will be hearing from us and from our supporters soon. We hope they will all do the right thing.”

    Water - the most basic of natural resources is being used for profiteering by a Chinese company from Tibet. Tibetans don't want them there, the Chinese aren't willing to leave. How does that sit right with you?

    Why did LFC get involved with this **** anyway
    Follow the money to the end of any corporation and you’ll find injustice and a complete lack of respect for human dignity.

    That’s not to downplay this particular situation, more that it’s definitely a popular cause, whereas others just aren’t. Or aren’t convenient to address, more often.

    It’s a sad reality of the corporate consumer world we live in. And we’re all guilty unfortunately.
    'Okey doke, we'll leave it there so'
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #17  
    steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    10,524
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHed2 View Post
    Follow the money to the end of any corporation and you’ll find injustice and a complete lack of respect for human dignity.

    That’s not to downplay this particular situation, more that it’s definitely a popular cause, whereas others just aren’t. Or aren’t convenient to address, more often.

    It’s a sad reality of the corporate consumer world we live in. And we’re all guilty unfortunately.
    Very true. Most clubs have their kits made by Nike/Adidas etc (and I wear their products too) and we all know they use sweat shops and child labour and all the rest of it.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #18  
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    16,603
    Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    Very true. Most clubs have their kits made by Nike/Adidas etc (and I wear their products too) and we all know they use sweat shops and child labour and all the rest of it.
    Exactly, and not a peep out of any of us.
    'Okey doke, we'll leave it there so'
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #19  
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    8,740
    I agree with you both (Red/Stevie) but this Tibet Water thing just seems too blatantly controversial for LFC to get involved. It's a bit like LFC doing a deal with an Israeli apple company who grow their products on occupied Palestinian land.

    There must be other places to make a few quid without getting involved with companies like that. Plus LFC are a massive brand themselves who kinda globally legitimise these companies.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #20  
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    16,603
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterPoolStark View Post
    I agree with you both (Red/Stevie) but this Tibet Water thing just seems too blatantly controversial for LFC to get involved. It's a bit like LFC doing a deal with an Israeli apple company who grow their products on occupied Palestinian land.

    There must be other places to make a few quid without getting involved with companies like that. Plus LFC are a massive brand themselves who kinda globally legitimise these companies.
    I don’t actually disagree, more that if we’re going to start addressing these issues, we can’t pick favorites, or just the ‘blatantly controversial'.

    What about the sweat shop kids making Daniel Sturridge's boots? Chinese kids, ironically enough.
    'Okey doke, we'll leave it there so'
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #21  
    steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    10,524
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterPoolStark View Post
    I agree with you both (Red/Stevie) but this Tibet Water thing just seems too blatantly controversial for LFC to get involved. It's a bit like LFC doing a deal with an Israeli apple company who grow their products on occupied Palestinian land.

    There must be other places to make a few quid without getting involved with companies like that. Plus LFC are a massive brand themselves who kinda globally legitimise these companies.
    Yeh you're right, I'm not excusing it and if it is what it seems then it's exploitation and unethical to put it lightly, and I'd obviously rather the club wasn't involved in it. I was just backing up Red's point about this kind of thing being ubiquitous in regards to massive corporations and yet most of us turn a blind eye to it or worse still support it when it suits us, which makes us all hypocrites really.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #22  
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    8,740
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHed2 View Post
    I don’t actually disagree, more that if we’re going to start addressing these issues, we can’t pick favorites, or just the ‘blatantly controversial'.

    What about the sweat shop kids making Daniel Sturridge's boots? Chinese kids, ironically enough.
    Sure but Nike/adidas aren't overtly forcing the kids to make the shoes, in fact it's against policy. It's the contractors they give the jobs out to who use the kids. Nike/adidas obviously aren't stupid but turn a blind eye to it.

    We could try to make the world a better place, bit by bit and we should start with the 'blatant' ones so it doesn't become an accepted norm.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #23  
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    8,740
    Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    Yeh you're right, I'm not excusing it and if it is what it seems then it's exploitation and unethical to put it lightly, and I'd obviously rather the club wasn't involved in it. I was just backing up Red's point about this kind of thing being ubiquitous in regards to massive corporations and yet most of us turn a blind eye to it or worse still support it when it suits us, which makes us all hypocrites really.
    I agree with that bro. I was watching a documentary about workers who make Apple products being exploited and killing themselves coz they can't hack it. I felt so sorry for them, yet, I was watching it on my iPad (face palm)
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #24  
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    16,603
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterPoolStark View Post
    Sure but Nike/adidas aren't overtly forcing the kids to make the shoes, in fact it's against policy. It's the contractors they give the jobs out to who use the kids. Nike/adidas obviously aren't stupid but turn a blind eye to it.

    We could try to make the world a better place, bit by bit and we should start with the 'blatant' ones so it doesn't become an accepted norm.
    I just think it already is an accepted norm, and possibly these sorts of causes end up being a bit of a distraction more than really helping make things better, as they make people feel like they’re doing their bit.

    I’m obviously quite cynical, but it’s probably because there’s just so much injustice that’s accepted due to being packaged nicely, and only when it’s not, so people seem to get upset.

    Not that that’s what you’re doing btw, more it seems to be the general way of things.
    'Okey doke, we'll leave it there so'
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #25  
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    16,603
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterPoolStark View Post
    I agree with that bro. I was watching a documentary about workers who make Apple products being exploited and killing themselves coz they can't hack it. I felt so sorry for them, yet, I was watching it on my iPad (face palm)
    That is pretty classic actually!
    'Okey doke, we'll leave it there so'
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #26  
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3,242
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHed2 View Post
    I’m pretty sure he’s talking about the company being 'innocent until proven guilty', not China.

    But knock yourself out convicting them without evidence, it’s all the rage these days.
    Exactly. No doubt the Chinese government is doing and has done terrible things in Tibet and other occupied areas. That doesn't mean every Chinese citizen is guilty of doing those things. The same applies to companies, some obviously have been proven to use child labor and commit other abuses but that doesn't mean every company is guilty of those practices. Without evidence, I'll fall back on healthy skepticism because one party has an obvious agenda...
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #27  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    16,891
    You'd like to assume the club does their due diligence before penning any sponsorship deals. Would it surprise me if they haven't? Not really, to be honest.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #28  
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    16,190
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterPoolStark View Post
    I agree with that bro. I was watching a documentary about workers who make Apple products being exploited and killing themselves coz they can't hack it. I felt so sorry for them, yet, I was watching it on my iPad (face palm)
    If you try to boycott every brand that's something is wrong with. You might as well boycott life
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #29  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    16,891
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    If you try to boycott every brand that's something is wrong with. You might as well boycott life
    No, just boycott the trendy ones so you can look righteous on Facebook.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #30  
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    16,190
    Quote Originally Posted by -Topper- View Post
    No, just boycott the trendy ones so you can look righteous on Facebook.
    I don't have Facebook
    Do i exist at all?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •