Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tibet Campaigners Launch Global Campaign Against Liverpool FC's "Dangerous" Deal

1. #1 Default Tibet Campaigners Launch Global Campaign Against Liverpool FC's "Dangerous" Deal 
    Does everybody know about this?
    http://mailchi.mp/5eac952180b8/tibet...dangerous-deal

Not good. The Chinese have been committing human rights abuses in Tibet since the 1950s.
    You can put pressure on the club to drop this deal by going here:
    https://actions.tibetnetwork.org/tel...-tibet-water-0
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

This thread will be deleted shortly... They don't want us to express dissatisfaction with our sponsors in here.

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanPressing View Post
    This thread will be deleted shortly... They don't want us to express dissatisfaction with our sponsors in here.
    I hope not. This is important stuff.

We're sponsored by a company that has been fined a total of $640m by the New York State Department of Financial Services for failing to comply with anti-laundering regulations. The owners demonstrably don't give a single **** where the money comes from mate.

Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    We're sponsored by a company that has been fined a total of $640m by the New York State Department of Financial Services for failing to comply with anti-laundering regulations. The owners demonstrably don't give a single **** where the money comes from mate.
    Yes, you're right, but maybe if enough fans sign the petition we might be able to put pressure on and ensure that the great name of the club doesn't get dragged through the mud. Unlikely, but you never know.

GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CanCanPressing View Post
    Why would we delete it?

As long as the discussion stays civil and respectful, there is no problem with it.
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.

I doubt the club would know about this and if they do I don't think they give a crap.

If all.companies which have been fined by US financial regulators are excluded then every single major bank in the world will be excluded.

Quote Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
    If all.companies which have been fined by US financial regulators are excluded then every single major bank in the world will be excluded.
    Have all banks been accused of laundering money? I don't know the answer to this but perhaps you do?

If so then perhaps the answer would be to not have the club sponsored by a bank that's been accused of laundering money.

Quote Originally Posted by kopernikus View Post
    Yes, you're right, but maybe if enough fans sign the petition we might be able to put pressure on and ensure that the great name of the club doesn't get dragged through the mud. Unlikely, but you never know.
    It's a noble cause...and I'd be happy to sign the petition.

But let's face it...if a mega rich consortium promised massive spending when they took over...the vast majority of our fans would be happy to ignore any human rights violations.

Quote Originally Posted by GrottonRed View Post
    It's a noble cause...and I'd be happy to sign the petition.

But let's face it...if a mega rich consortium promised massive spending when they took over...the vast majority of our fans would be happy to ignore any human rights violations.
    i think you do a disservice to our supporters. If anything is true of our fans it's that injustice and a sense of what is right is very much prevalent in our thoughts.

Information and awareness is a powerful dissuader.

i think you do a disservice to our supporters.
    If anything is true of our fans it's that injustice and a sense of what is right is very much prevalent in our thoughts.

Information and awareness is a powerful dissuader.
    I agree. I know it was more personal and closer to home, but you've only got to look at the huge efforts around the Hillsborough miscarriage of justice to see how the fans can make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by kopernikus View Post
    [B]

I agree. I know it was more personal and closer to home, but you've only got to look at the huge efforts around the Hillsborough miscarriage of justice to see how the fans can make a difference.
    They can...and I hope in this campaign, they do too.

So adds to our transfer kitty. Just buy good players so it's worthy

As a long term supporter of a free Tibet, I am not happy about this and will be adding my name to the campaign -
    Last edited by GrottonRed; 6-10-17 at 07:09. Reason: off topic

All prem clubs are already tainted to one degree another, you wouldn't expect any of them to turn down TV money from Sky for instance. At the same time the club should take a look at this deal and either see what influence it can wield or pull out completely. There are no grey areas in the Chinese occupation of Tibet.

Have all banks been accused of laundering money? I don't know the answer to this but perhaps you do?

If so then perhaps the answer would be to not have the club sponsored by a bank that's been accused of laundering money.
    We may need to be careful in accusing the bank of actually laundering money.

Yes they may have been fined for failing to comply to the regulations. However, that will include corporate governance is not up to the minimum standard or after a legal request for information, the bank was slow at providing the information and/or the necessay information is inadequate for the regulators/law enforcement's needs. E.g. if they are in the middle of a chain. They are unable to identify the next link.

Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    We may need to be careful in accusing the bank of actually laundering money.

Yes they may have been fined for failing to comply to the regulations. However, that will include corporate governance is not up to the minimum standard or after a legal request for information, the bank was slow at providing the information and/or the necessay information is inadequate for the regulators/law enforcement's needs. E.g. if they are in the middle of a chain. They are unable to identify the next link.
    I didnt accuse them. I said they had been accused of it. It was labled a "rogue institution" by the governing body that fined them, no less.
    Last edited by FIOS; 6-10-17 at 08:52.

The Chinese won't give a rats arse about an internet campaign. I've seen them in action in Africa and here in Hong Kong. They will press on regardless and if Liverpool don't take their money someone else will. I don't say its right but thats the way it is

Quote Originally Posted by KOPGIRL1971 View Post
    As a long term supporter of a free Tibet, I am not happy about this and will be adding my name to the campaign -
    Cheers, Kopgirl.

foreverred-1973 is online now 100% Concentrated
    Quote Originally Posted by KOPGIRL1971 View Post
    In my younger years I supported the free Tibet campaign a lot, after travelling through Tibet for the first time in 1986 with a free Tibet T-shirt, I strongly felt that the campaign must be supported with all possible forces. But my view changed when I visited Tibet again in 1995 and 2004. Now I have to ask the question, if you campaign for a free Tibet, do you also mean free of religious oppression?
    Last edited by foreverred-1973; 6-10-17 at 10:20.
    Thank God I'm an Atheist!

Signed

Quote Originally Posted by BAlmeida View Post
    Signed

signed

Quote Originally Posted by GrottonRed View Post
    signed

Quote Originally Posted by foreverred-1973 View Post
    In my younger years I supported the free Tibet campaign a lot, after travelling through Tibet for the first time in 1986 with a free Tibet T-shirt, I strongly felt that the campaign must be supported with all possible forces. But my view changed when I visited Tibet again in 1995 and 2004. Now I have to ask the question, if you campaign for a free Tibet, do you also mean free of religious oppression?
    Why has your view on this changed over the years?

kas74 is online now First team regular
    I signed last night.

Quote Originally Posted by kas74 View Post
    I signed last night.

foreverred-1973 is online now 100% Concentrated
    Quote Originally Posted by Alon1 View Post
    Why has your view on this changed over the years?
    Because of the hierarchic fighting between the different buddhist schools and the Dalai Lama‘s role in it. Because of the misogyny in the tibetan buddhism. Because of the behaviour of leading lamas who have arranged themselves with the chinese system and continue to oppress the poor land people religiously and economically in the same way as it has been done for hundreds of years.
    Thank God I'm an Atheist!

Whilst I can understand one condemning China or companies committing illegal acts, how about Russia. Oh boy, and they are holding the next World Cup, so we’re does one start with that. Football will not change dictators, only if demoncratic countries acting in unison could eventually topple these corrupt states. In my business dealings of the past I saw so many corrupt actions of so called whiter than white corporations. Blind eyes and cash make actions disappear.