Notices
Reply to Thread

Thread: Contract Dilemma

1. #1 Crest Contract Dilemma 
    Hi Guys,

We have 11 players with just over 18 months left on their contracts. In this article, I look at what we should do with them.

I would love to get your opinions. Who would you try to keep and who would you sell?

http://lastwordonfootball.com/2017/1...yer-contracts/
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Definitely offload Flanno, Randall and Bogdan. As the article says we should just let Bogdan's contract run down. With his injury problems (recurring) I can't see any one except perhaps a league 2 side even considering him.
    loyal since 1960.

It's a 'Contract Dilemma.'

Quote Originally Posted by LFCsiempre View Post
    Hi Guys,

We have 11 players with just over 18 months left on their contracts. In this article, I look at what we should do with them.

I would love to get your opinions. Who would you try to keep and who would you sell?

http://lastwordonfootball.com/2017/1...yer-contracts/
    There is no dilemma for me

Woodburn is the only one you renew

The others get as much money as quickly as possible

But yet again because of the culture at the club - we have missed the boat with Can

Every season we spurn the opportunity, failing to sufficiently strengthen the squad over the summer. And it ends up manifesting itself on the pitch and in the performances of the team. Look at this season and the last 7 games in all competition and Mane's injury

Because of that Liverpool have spent nearly 3 decades fighting against the weight of unrealistic expectation, fighting the weight of history, coz we can't do the basics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post

But yet again because of the culture at the club - we have missed the boat with Can

Every season we spurn the opportunity, failing to sufficiently strengthen the squad over the summer. And it ends up manifesting itself on the pitch and in the performances of the team. Look at this season and the last 7 games in all competition and Mane's injury

Because of that Liverpool have spent nearly 3 decades fighting against the weight of unrealistic expectation, fighting the weight of history, coz we can't do the basics.
    you have posted stuff which i do not even bother to read.but this is the first time i have to agree with you.we really squandered the opportunity to have brought in players to fill the gapping holes in the team.only part i do not agree is with can he can run his contract down for all i care.
    he is very overrated on this board he is not the standard of player we are looking to compete at the highest level.he can be a good squad player but as starter really just think of our past midfield during the era we were challenging he would not make the squad.players like kuyt were deemed not good enough but yet he was a big big game player never letting us down gave 120% anytime he was on the pitch.the same i cannot say for players like can,gini players who looka at the opponent during a throwin and just stood by and allowed him attack our box.yet he thinks he is to good for us holding the club to ransom he cant leave soon enough.
    Last edited by firmino.no.9; 13-10-17 at 09:50.

MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    Can feels like he is gone to me. Rest of them, not fussed if I never see them again play for us.

Woodburn for sure is worth tying up.
    The Normal One (Emlyn is in the house) - Est 1975

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MacFoley'1975 View Post
    Can feels like he is gone to me. Rest of them, not fussed if I never see them again play for us.

Woodburn for sure is worth tying up.
    klopp should really start to think of how to give woodburn game time.tired of seeing players like gini hide in games cannot just imagine how the midfield will be runover against manure.last season was so up for it but not this time horrible horrible midfield it is getting worse.

Quote Originally Posted by firmino.no.9 View Post
    klopp should really start to think of how to give woodburn game time.tired of seeing players like gini hide in games cannot just imagine how the midfield will be runover against manure.last season was so up for it but not this time horrible horrible midfield it is getting worse.
    Klopp needs to rethink his subs strategy, among others, but if he truly doesn't believe in plan B then he really needs plan A to work better and more often than it does.

Can't see Woodburn making it here if he's third choice or even fourth choice to play behind Firmino, Sturridge and Solanke.... and not if he gets the odd start, maybe in cups which means not until January or maybe Europe, and 5-15 minutes in the league.

And most hardly count as a dilemma :

Run down (if can't flog) : Bogdan, Flanagan, Randall, Milner (age), Klavan
    New contract (if only to get a fee) : Sturridge (rolling one year extensions based on fitness), Moreno, Markovic, Origi, Can

Torn on the Woodburn situation, perhaps chuck him in the new contract bunch as I hate to see players who we might get 7m+ for go on a free and how many on the top list would get us more than maybe 3m-5m and how many on the lower list would we not be looking at at least 7m+ .....?

I get the idea of "getting rid of deadwood" and the old "get them off our wages" but there are some assets in there. Milner is about the only one I might consider extending by a year, but if he's not getting games with Clyne out, with Moreno getting games at LB, and in midfield then HE is one who is barely back up, has little resale value, may well be on wages enough to want rid (given he was a freebie) and is hardly a spring chicken.

Although to be honest the one I'd be most disappointed to see go on a free is Can because he offers something to the side and may draw in the biggest fee of them all if his contract is long enough ie not near its end.
    Last edited by TheDarknessIsCalling; 14-10-17 at 11:19.
    People will believe what they want to believe

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Klopp needs to rethink his subs strategy, among others, but if he truly doesn't believe in plan B then he really needs plan A to work better and more often than it does.

Can't see Woodburn making it here if he's third choice or even fourth choice to play behind Firmino, Sturridge and Solanke.... and not if he gets the odd start, maybe in cups which means not until January or maybe Europe, and 5-15 minutes in the league.

And most hardly count as a dilemma :

Run down (if can't flog) : Bogdan, Flanagan, Randall, Milner (age), Klavan
    New contract (if only to get a fee) : Sturridge (rolling one year extensions based on fitness), Moreno, Markovic, Origi, Can

Torn on the Woodburn situation, perhaps chuck him in the new contract bunch as I hate to see players who we might get 7m+ for go on a free and how many on the top list would get us more than maybe 3m-5m and how many on the lower list would we not be looking at at least 7m+ .....?

I get the idea of "getting rid of deadwood" and the old "get them off our wages" but there are some assets in there. Milner is about the only one I might consider extending by a year, but if he's not getting games with Clyne out, with Moreno getting games at LB, and in midfield then HE is one who is barely back up, has little resale value, may well be on wages enough to want rid (given he was a freebie) and is hardly a spring chicken.

Although to be honest the one I'd be most disappointed to see go on a free is Can because he offers something to the side and may draw in the biggest fee of them all if his contract is long enough ie not near its end.
    He has plenty of time yet, dunno why people are expecting him to feature much in the first team age 17. And I don't see him as a striker either, I'd say he's more likely to play in one of the AM positions or out wide. He has (I'll whisper it because this might be controversial) slight shades of Coutinho about him IMO, and could potentially be his long term successor if Phil leaves and Woodburn lives up to his potential. Of course he could just as easily never reach the required standard and be shipped out by the time he's 20, we'll have to wait and see.

Re-sign Can and Woodburn, maybe keep Klavan as 4th/5th option but he needs replaced as 3rd...