Thread: Karius time at mainz

TheKnucklesOfAgger is online now Academy prospect
    Ode to Klopp - a keepers tale

I just want a keeper with reflexes like Bonetti,

Not Mignoletís hands made of wet spaghetti,

No lack of awareness or Karius fumbles,

No comical kicks or unexplained tumbles,

Just a keeper like Reina, with whom we can stick,

Who hits the ball forward, not for a corner kick.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by Defo-skitso View Post
    You did say we should get him though didnt you?
    What are you trying to imply? 'I told you so'? because that would be ludicrous. If anybody watched him for Mainz and DIDN'T want to sign him in 16/17 then that would've been really weird. He was fantastic in 15/16, if you watched him in that season you'd have wanted to sign him for £5m too.

Were you delighted when we sold Torres for £50m? Of course you weren't. Sometimes transfers just completely fail and we don't see it coming.

As for OP, how ridiculous. Basically admitting to judging a player off one Youtube video.

'I can't believe professional footballers in the Bundesliga voted him the 2nd best goalkeeper in the league, when I've just watched a Youtube video and seen nothing spectacular!'

Aside from Timo Horn, Karius was the best goalkeeper we could've signed at the time. Unfortunately like I said, sometimes transfers simply flop, and I hope for the club's sake that Karius' Liverpool career is over. He should go back to Germany to find his feet again

Quote Originally Posted by Fowi View Post
    I would have to be. We both wanted Karius.
    It's absolutely ludicrous that you're getting criticized for wanting Karius, who was one of the best goalkeepers in the Europe in 15/16. You're such a moron for not being able to see into the future!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
    Yeah and at 4 million I don't mind giving him more time.
    Just that I had this nagging doubt that how come he looks an average shot stopper with LFC if he was a good one before. As shot stopping is something most keepers easily translate to new teams even if they struggle with physicality or communication or ball playing or time on ball etc.
    How come Torres was an average finisher at Chelsea if he was a good one before? It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKnucklesOfAgger View Post
    Ode to Klopp - a keepers tale

I just want a keeper with reflexes like Bonetti,

Not Mignolet’s hands made of wet spaghetti,

No lack of awareness or Karius fumbles,

No comical kicks or unexplained tumbles,

Just a keeper like Reina, with whom we can stick,

Who hits the ball forward, not for a corner kick.
    There was a young poster called Knuckles

Who gave us a few decent chuckles

He loves Pepe Reina

So asked of the trainer

To "Please come and undo our buckles."

TheKnucklesOfAgger is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullenator View Post
    There was a young poster called Knuckles

Who gave us a few decent chuckles

He loves Pepe Reina

So asked of the trainer

To "Please come and undo our buckles."
    Oh Cully, why canít life just be one big song...

Quote Originally Posted by TheKnucklesOfAgger View Post
    Oh Cully, why can’t life just be one big song...
    I know, mate. I know.

The big difference with LFC and the clubs challenging for the title is I can't imagine City, Manure or Chelsea trying to be smart and signing a supposed number 1 for £4.2m and then expecting him to be any good.

Big clubs buy the best they can afford... and pay whatever it takes to get them because the rewards are ten-fold.

When Arsenal signed a 33 year old Cech for £10m that was considered a bargain because keepers can play into their late 30s without dropping in quality. How many points a season is he worth.

LFC should have bought Begovic or Hart (cue the trolls who just have to criticise)... two players that have proved their worth for years and would have been better than Mignolet (any unbiased supporter would agree). Sadly LFC tried to be smart and ended up with Karius. Pre-season should have been enough to flag up how bad he was. In 3 or 4 years, Karius might be brilliant. Can LFC wait that long?

Larissa Karius is online now First team regular
    When we signed Loris Karius he had been voted the 2nd best keeper in the Bundesliga by their FA at the end of the season.

And for a league which boasts a plethora of good goalkeepers, you cannot really have a go at people who thought it was a coup by the club to land him for just £4.7m. Its not worked out for the young German but you cannot say he was a poor signing at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Larissa Karius View Post
    When we signed Loris Karius he had been voted the 2nd best keeper in the Bundesliga by their FA at the end of the season.

And for a league which boasts a plethora of good goalkeepers, you cannot really have a go at people who thought it was a coup by the club to land him for just £4.7m. Its not worked out for the young German but you cannot say he was a poor signing at the time.
    I dunno... perhaps he had one solid season in Germany playing for a side that (as far as I know) doesnít really compete much. At his age to bring him in isnít an issue so long as he was seen as one for the future. We should have signed Hart or Begovic to replace Mignolet in the short term and bring him in slowly... in a year or two. All weíve done is throw him in when Mignolet was playing well. Karius was a bag of nerves and has never recovered.

Remember when Brad Friedel looked like a complete joker. He never recovered for us, then went on to prove himself an asset everywhere else. Could be a similar story

No one cares about an average keepers time at an average club, not to mention a YouTube clip which can make anyone look a star.

Quote Originally Posted by EmreSam View Post
    What are you trying to imply? 'I told you so'? because that would be ludicrous. If anybody watched him for Mainz and DIDN'T want to sign him in 16/17 then that would've been really weird. He was fantastic in 15/16, if you watched him in that season you'd have wanted to sign him for £5m too.

Were you delighted when we sold Torres for £50m? Of course you weren't. Sometimes transfers just completely fail and we don't see it coming.

As for OP, how ridiculous. Basically admitting to judging a player off one Youtube video.

'I can't believe professional footballers in the Bundesliga voted him the 2nd best goalkeeper in the league, when I've just watched a Youtube video and seen nothing spectacular!'

Aside from Timo Horn, Karius was the best goalkeeper we could've signed at the time. Unfortunately like I said, sometimes transfers simply flop, and I hope for the club's sake that Karius' Liverpool career is over. He should go back to Germany to find his feet again
    Completely missed the point of the OP didn't you.

The point is simple. I just wanted to see some great reflex saves from karius from whatever time he has played.

Seems like there are not many examples at all. If you proclaim to have seen him before then can you provide such examples for the forums benefit?

Also on the Torres question, finishing chances is very different than reflexes. I have never seen a goalkeeper having good reflexes in one league and bad in other.

I don't know what he was like at Mainz and I really don't care tbh.

All I know is that going on his time at Liverpool I couldn't be less impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
    Completely missed the point of the OP didn't you.

The point is simple. I just wanted to see some great reflex saves from karius from whatever time he has played.

Seems like there are not many examples at all. If you proclaim to have seen him before then can you provide such examples for the forums benefit?

Also on the Torres question, finishing chances is very different than reflexes. I have never seen a goalkeeper having good reflexes in one league and bad in other.
    Claudio Bravo.

Also this is a nice compilation.

Quote Originally Posted by Larissa Karius View Post

Exactly

BearWithMe is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Defo-skitso View Post
    Where are all the buy Karius forum people now that pretend they are the best scouts cause they watch world football?
    I wanted Karius and I still believe he will go on to be a top keeper. I simply refuse to believe he has regressed so badly just by moving clubs. I think if we had kept Karius in goal last year he'd be a far better player now.

Quote Originally Posted by BearWithMe View Post
    I wanted Karius and I still believe he will go on to be a top keeper. I simply refuse to believe he has regressed so badly just by moving clubs. I think if we had kept Karius in goal last year he'd be a far better player now.
    Yeah but we probably wouldn't have reached the top 4.

BearWithMe is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Bauer-LFC View Post
    Yeah but we probably wouldn't have reached the top 4.
    I think we would have.

Quote Originally Posted by BearWithMe View Post
    I think we would have.
    I'm far from a big Simon Mignolet fan but it can't be denied that he was good in the second half of last season. Games against Stoke and West Brom come to mind where he saved us.

Neither he or Karius is good enough.

So we must hope that Ward is or get spending.

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer-LFC View Post
    I'm far from a big Simon Mignolet fan but it can't be denied that he was good in the second half of last season. Games against Stoke and West Brom come to mind where he saved us.

Neither he or Karius is good enough.

So we must hope that Ward is or get spending.
    Ward was one goalkeeper coming through the youth set up that I never rated, but I have to say from what I've seen in the couple of games he had this season he looks bigger and more commanding and has clearly benefited from his two years away.
    Strange that JK thought we needed three keepers. I'd like to see him get a loan more after Christmas as he could be a number 1 choice if he gets the game time.

On a slight tangent you have to admire JK's stubbornness with putting Karius in for the CL games. He is leaving himself and the team open to criticism if results don't go our way but clearly has confidence in Karius to come through.

Snippes is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gedzredz View Post
    Karius has been dire during every opportunity he's gotten here and has to be judged on that, how else would we judge him?
    He looks slow, which is criminal for a young keeper.
    And you are still missing the point.

You can't and shouldn't judge him yet when you've seen so little of him. Not comparing the two but David De Gea looked dire early on in his career too and look at him now.

I don't know what abuses flew in this thread but thanks for the clip
    Finally some good saves which were a bit hard to come by. Even though most of them are vanilla but some exhibited reflexes well.

All in all I don't see anything special in terms of shot saving but if he does have other assets as well so it is a tough one. Objectively he has done nothing yet but overall can be solid for us based on overall attributes.

Quote Originally Posted by Snippes View Post
    And you are still missing the point.

You can't and shouldn't judge him yet when you've seen so little of him. Not comparing the two but David De Gea looked dire early on in his career too and look at him now.
    DDG didnít concede nearly every shot he faced and make their entire fan base **** themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by -Monk- View Post
    DDG didnít concede nearly every shot he faced and make their entire fan base **** themselves.
    Additionally he was something like 20 years old when he was making those mistakes. By 23/24 he was established as one of the best keepers in Europe. Karius at 23/24 was kicking the ball out from a goal kick to a corner... an corner lol.

In all honesty heís probably closer to 3rd choice than 1st at the moment. Any free-kick is like a penalty. I give up with that lad.