Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Karius time at mainz

1. #1 Default Karius time at mainz 
    Just thought I would have a look at what karius great saves were at Mainz. As he was supposed to be 2nd best keeper at bundesliga so I thought he must havE had blinder saves. And wanted to see if he had it then why does he look so bad in shot stopping now.

https://youtu.be/yscPabwQaQI

Now I went to the site with bias for sure but the whole clip had 1 great save , some good penalty saves(which are more about the decision than reflexes) and 1 or 2 good clearances. The rest were either weak shots, saves which alMost trickled past, shots saved but rebounded into dangerous area and fancy dives for simple saves.

It came as no surprise to me at all as he made no save on that whole clip where I would rate his reflexes highly at all. And it's consistent with my opinion that he does not have the reflexes to top saves.
    I have said before that his kicking and punching are ok, but his shot stopping ability has always seem suspect to say the least and I have seen no evidence to prove the contrary.
    Of folks have some videos of his top saves other than above , then please educate me as I cannot understand this anomaly.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

He's a dud. We should just cut our losses at the end of the season and bring in someone to finally replace Mignolet.

Quote Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
    Just thought I would have a look at what karius great saves were at Mainz. As he was supposed to be 2nd best keeper at bundesliga so I thought he must havE had blinder saves. And wanted to see if he had it then why does he look so bad in shot stopping now.

Now I went to the site with bias for sure but the whole clip had 1 great save , some good penalty saves(which are more about the decision than reflexes) and 1 or 2 good clearances. The rest were either weak shots, saves which alMost trickled past, shots saved but rebounded into dangerous area and fancy dives for simple saves.

It came as no surprise to me at all as he made no save on that whole clip where I would rate his reflexes highly at all. And it's consistent with my opinion that he does not have the reflexes to top saves.
    I have said before that his kicking and punching are ok, but his shot stopping ability has always seem suspect to say the least and I have seen no evidence to prove the contrary.
    Of folks have some videos of his top saves other than above , then please educate me as I cannot understand this anomaly.
    But when we signed him, anyone that pointed out he hadn't yet proved himself was immediately set upon by the hounds of stupid.

Even after his pre-season xxxx-up the aforementioned hounds started likening him to David De Gea... like as if!

Honestly, his performance against Swansea last season was one of the very worst I seen from any keeper anywhere ever.

Snippes is online now First team regular

The only thing more ridiculous than proclaiming great judgement of a footballer based on YouTube highlight reels is don't so for a goalkeeper.

There is literally next to nothing you can know off watching 3 minutes of selective clips that someone put together for whatever reason. Maybe that's how we do it and how we ended up with keepers like Mingnolet or Bogdan but it's absurd. That video shows you nothing about organization, or command of area, or distribution or how a keeper can have nothing to do for 89 minutes but steps up in the one or 2 flash moments they are called upon to make a great save.

You certainly took your biases into this, that's for sure. I have no idea how good Karius is or can be over time, and no one does because unlike Mingnolet, he hasn't even been handed a half season to show what he can do yet. He might really be bad as bad as his worst few moments you've seen but you could probably say that about every top class keeper after juatba handful of games.

The amount of time and effort people spend here lashing out at a young, still developing, limited opportunity backup goalkeeper is frankly bizarre. We have far bigger issues than Karius.

CrawleyRed is online now The Jolly Green Giant's big brother

Quote Originally Posted by CrawleyRed View Post
    Thanks for that.
    And yes it was a good game from him but again I don't see any top class reflex saves. Basically i am focussing on his split second shot stopping reflexes as that's something you cannot develop dramatically.
    He showed good anticipation, good presence and again decent kicking which I can see even in LFC games. The last shot was his best save on that terms and even then his leap did not need to be much.
    But in terms of pure reflex saves or exaMple of great reflexes, i am yet to find any good exaMples.

Quote Originally Posted by Snippes View Post
    The only thing more ridiculous than proclaiming great judgement of a footballer based on YouTube highlight reels is don't so for a goalkeeper.

There is literally next to nothing you can know off watching 3 minutes of selective clips that someone put together for whatever reason. Maybe that's how we do it and how we ended up with keepers like Mingnolet or Bogdan but it's absurd. That video shows you nothing about organization, or command of area, or distribution or how a keeper can have nothing to do for 89 minutes but steps up in the one or 2 flash moments they are called upon to make a great save.

You certainly took your biases into this, that's for sure. I have no idea how good Karius is or can be over time, and no one does because unlike Mingnolet, he hasn't even been handed a half season to show what he can do yet. He might really be bad as bad as his worst few moments you've seen but you could probably say that about every top class keeper after juatba handful of games.

The amount of time and effort people spend here lashing out at a young, still developing, limited opportunity backup goalkeeper is frankly bizarre. We have far bigger issues than Karius.
    Karius has been dire during every opportunity he's gotten here and has to be judged on that, how else would we judge him?
    He looks slow, which is criminal for a young keeper.

Defo-skitso is online now Academy prospect
    Where are all the buy Karius forum people now that pretend they are the best scouts cause they watch world football?

Fowi is online now Hall of Fame Resident and Top Poster Who Shook The Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by Defo-skitso View Post
    Where are all the buy Karius forum people now that pretend they are the best scouts cause they watch world football?
    Nobody on this forum signed him. The guy paid millions to manage this club did.

Quote Originally Posted by Fowi View Post
    The lack of accountability at this club is unbelievable. I mean if we fail to sign a player or some negotiation fails or contract expires, we have nobody to blame at all as we have this brilliant tactic of Manager vs Transfer committee vs Owners mis-direction.
    Same way, we have no idea how our scouting happens. And less said about Achterberg, the better.

He'll be fine

Ha. So you were one of them.

Ha. So you were one of them.
    No, I'm not the guy paid millions to manage this club.

You did say we should get him though didnt you?

He was nothing to write home about, Germany has produced a few good goalies in the last few years hence that people thought Karius would be one of them but that's certainly not based in his performances at Mainz or anywhere else. He has never been selected for the national team and has just a few caps in the youth teams, I think is fair to say that nobody in Germany expected him to be the next big thing.

I did, which makes me as good at football management as Jurgen Klopp.

herbeer is offline Knows who has the Ranfurly Shield
    Yep. Not one of Fowi’s finest moments. Nor Klopp, his records pretty good tho...

I did, which makes me as good at football management as Jurgen Klopp.
    Your as good as klopp....ha ha.

Your as good as klopp....ha ha.
    I would have to be. We both wanted Karius.

MiraclesArePossible is online now Boot Room insider
    Also it's not difficult to figure out that you didn't literally mean that you are as good a football manager as Klopp in all possible respects. Rather, you meant that criticising you for wanting Karius should mean criticising Klopp for signing him, especially as the latter is paid millions to make the right decisions.

Last edited by GrottonRed; 11-10-17 at 14:04. Reason: insults

Yeah you go Fowi. As good as klopp. Ha ha ha

Yeah you go Fowi. As good as klopp. Ha ha ha
    It was clear as day what he meant.

Quote Originally Posted by MiraclesArePossible View Post
    It was clear as day what he meant.
    He clearly said he's as good as klopp. And do you always talk for others

He clearly said he's as good as klopp. And do you always talk for others
    Do you honestly think Fowi believes he's as good a football manager as Klopp is? Because I think it's quite obvious that he doesn't, but that what he was getting at was that if you criticise Fowi for wanting to sign Karius, then you have to criticise Klopp for actually signing him.

He had a good time in Germany but hasn't done it here, was a signing that made sense but just hasn't worked out.

Thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgher View Post
    Thankfully.
    Yeah, thank God the guy who is paid millions to manage the club would never make the same mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by LFC-Simon-95 View Post
    He had a good time in Germany but hasn't done it here, was a signing that made sense but just hasn't worked out.
    Yeah and at 4 million I don't mind giving him more time.
    Just that I had this nagging doubt that how come he looks an average shot stopper with LFC if he was a good one before. As shot stopping is something most keepers easily translate to new teams even if they struggle with physicality or communication or ball playing or time on ball etc.

Yeah and at 4 million I don't mind giving him more time.
    Just that I had this nagging doubt that how come he looks an average shot stopper with LFC if he was a good one before. As shot stopping is something most keepers easily translate to new teams even if they struggle with physicality or communication or ball playing or time on ball etc.
    I think he's shown in his appearances that he isn't at the level we need, I'm not sure he'll get the chances Mignolet has had to improve. I think a new GK is needed.