Notices
Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: A close look at our midfield

  1. #1 Default A close look at our midfield 
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10
    We all know how our back four are suspects but what about our midfield? who is protecting the back suspects the answer is no one Coutiniho is a wonderful attacker playmaker and scorer and that is enough Henderson is a headless chicken if you watch him closely defending you end up with tears in your eyes in short ridiculous yes he runs a lot but to no good very easy to pass through him we are left with can whom I admire a lot remember his outstanding goal last season he can be coached to defend better but first of all he must have a cooler temperament no need to commit the fouls he commits by rushing though I prefer to see him going forward but is there out there an Ince a Roy Keen it must be if we get rid off headless Henderson and get the likes of x Leicester and now Chelsea Konte.
    if this does not appeal to Klopp then we have to play in a different formation 3/4/2/1 which means getting Sturiddge to his best.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #2  
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,727
    lol. I get your point, though with references of headless chicken about our captain and mention of ex Man-utd players i doubt there'll be little replies. Buying the right player for the DFM job would be a start. All the big teams in Europe have already bought the next Busquets, so we'll have to settle with Henderson for a few more years.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #3  
    lfcstlouis is online now Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    24,207
    Go find that thread from last year when I said we needed to upgrade our midfield, especially because that is how you win in Europe.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #4  
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,893
    I doubt we will see much of your headless chicken when Keita is here next summer.

    Phil and Can leave anot won't change my thinking as I believe Klopp will change to 4231. ✌
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #5  
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    9,325
    Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    Go find that thread from last year when I said we needed to upgrade our midfield, especially because that is how you win in Europe.
    looool
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #6  
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    576
    When was the last time our midfield controlled a game properly. it feels like year's ago probably when we had xabi
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #7  
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by IDREAMOFGINI View Post
    lol. I get your point, though with references of headless chicken about our captain and mention of ex Man-utd players i doubt there'll be little replies. Buying the right player for the DFM job would be a start. All the big teams in Europe have already bought the next Busquets, so we'll have to settle with Henderson for a few more years.
    Honestly I would be thinking of taking Henderson out of the squad, let alone the team. Grujic has to be a better option. At least he's a presence. Couldn't agree more with the headless chicken. I'll add that to "sideways," "backwards," and "uncharismatic" and every honest LFC fan will know what I'm talking about. The only way Henderson could be any worse is if we paired him with Ox. Get Grujic in there and temporarily at least, give the armband to Firmino, who I think would thrive with the extra responsibility and would deserve it for sheer workrate.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #8  
    TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    36,614
    We've been closely looking and discussing our midfield for the past 6 years now.
    ?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #9  
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,727
    Quote Originally Posted by NewportRed1975 View Post
    Honestly I would be thinking of taking Henderson out of the squad, let alone the team. Grujic has to be a better option. At least he's a presence. Couldn't agree more with the headless chicken. I'll add that to "sideways," "backwards," and "uncharismatic" and every honest LFC fan will know what I'm talking about. The only way Henderson could be any worse is if we paired him with Ox. Get Grujic in there and temporarily at least, give the armband to Firmino, who I think would thrive with the extra responsibility and would deserve it for sheer workrate.
    I don't see anyone other than Can or Henderson for that deep playing position in our squad. Every other midfielder i can think about in our squad is box to box. Keita is the same. Unless we've got a hidden gem being nurtured in our under 23's we'll have to pay big money for the likes of Kondogbia or similar.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #10  
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,452
    I completely agree with egyptianscouser.

    I think our defence has rightly been criticised but our biggest issue is how easily they can be attacked through the middle of the pitch.

    We have played a few different combinations this season so far in midfield and all of them have shown to be as weak as the next.

    With Coutinho likely to leave next season, Can seemingly gone and Keita coming in, I am hoping we take the opportunity to really address our weak defensive spine next summer, and that starts with the most vital area of the pitch imo, the midfield.

    If we were to bring in a proper CDM, and have him next to Keita, and then bring in someone like Goretzka who can do a bit of everything for the more advanced role, then we will have a very balanced and strong midfield imo. Add VVD next to Matip, and we should have a strong defensive spine.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #11  
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,644
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRiedle View Post
    We've been closely looking and discussing our midfield for the past 6 years now.
    Yes and very largely time wasted!!! But as someone above pointed out Keita won't let this lot sit on their hands. However his arrival seems a long way off. I'm already getting nervy about possible Thursday night football in January - when we should already virtually had the Group sewn up.
    loyal since 1960.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #12  
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,727
    Has Jurgen won over the heart and mind of Pulisic yet?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #13  
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    89
    its nothing new we need a dm to protect our back 4and a combatitive cm which we have gotten in kieta.hendo in the dm position is pointless he cannnot defend.can is the better option even he has been poor of late.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #14  
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    20,709
    Five posts in nine years, you been saving yourself for special occasions........?!?!
    People will believe what they want to believe
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #15  
    MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    39,474
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Five posts in nine years, you been saving yourself for special occasions........?!?!
    To be fair, I think it took that long to write the OP, lots of thought gone into it.
    The Normal One (Emlyn is in the house) - Est 1975
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #16  
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,787
    The midfield just isn't good enough in its entirety for us to be challenging for top honours.

    Unlike quite a lot of LFC fans, I include Emre Can in that. He makes his fair share of mistakes and, despite the odd lung-bursting run here and there, actually contributes very little. The sort of demands he is placing upon the club in contract talks (reportedly) for a player so young should not be ceded to. He may become a world-beater but, for now, he wouldn't start in my first choice midfield three (if all players are fit). If he doesn't want to sign, cheerio.

    Henderson is not great, and certainly does not give us the level of protection needed to avoid exposing our flimsy back-line. Gini can put in decent performances here and there but is rarely going to come in at higher than a 7 out of 10 every week. Lallana gives us an extra dimension when he plays in the three and, along with Bobby, he is key to our pressing game.

    As things stand we have a shaky defence and a horrendously flimsy midfield. Other than that, we are a cracking team.

    Oh, wait, I forgot the 'keepers.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #17  
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    3,578
    Quote Originally Posted by NewportRed1975 View Post
    Honestly I would be thinking of taking Henderson out of the squad, let alone the team. Grujic has to be a better option. At least he's a presence. Couldn't agree more with the headless chicken. I'll add that to "sideways," "backwards," and "uncharismatic" and every honest LFC fan will know what I'm talking about. The only way Henderson could be any worse is if we paired him with Ox. Get Grujic in there and temporarily at least, give the armband to Firmino, who I think would thrive with the extra responsibility and would deserve it for sheer workrate.
    **** me. Grujic better than Henderson?? That has to be one of the most incredible statements I've ever read on these forums.

    Just out of curiosity and to offer some semblance of fairness to you, what are the qualities you have seen in Grujic that make him a better player than Henderson and on which occasions have you actually seen him put those qualities into practice? Because I have to say, other than the very odd nice pass or goal, I struggle to see much from him. Which match have I missed where he has bossed the midfield or one where he has made a direct difference to the final result*? has he ever been awarded MOTM even??


    *Did he score a winning goal once?? I seem to remember something??

    Please don't misunderstand me - this is not about slagging Grujic off. Although I am certainly not convinced by his performances to date, I recognize he's young and has potential. This is just about your outrageous claim that he would do better in our midfield than Henderson?? That's just a bizarre claim IMO?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #18  
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by shelvey_33 View Post
    The midfield just isn't good enough in its entirety for us to be challenging for top honours.

    Unlike quite a lot of LFC fans, I include Emre Can in that. He makes his fair share of mistakes and, despite the odd lung-bursting run here and there, actually contributes very little. The sort of demands he is placing upon the club in contract talks (reportedly) for a player so young should not be ceded to. He may become a world-beater but, for now, he wouldn't start in my first choice midfield three (if all players are fit). If he doesn't want to sign, cheerio.

    Henderson is not great, and certainly does not give us the level of protection needed to avoid exposing our flimsy back-line. Gini can put in decent performances here and there but is rarely going to come in at higher than a 7 out of 10 every week. Lallana gives us an extra dimension when he plays in the three and, along with Bobby, he is key to our pressing game.

    As things stand we have a shaky defence and a horrendously flimsy midfield. Other than that, we are a cracking team.

    Oh, wait, I forgot the 'keepers.
    i am with you on emre he is just so overrated on here.not bother about him and his contract he cant leave soon enough for all i care.and do not even get me started on gini,hendo lol captain indeed.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #19  
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderbird View Post
    **** me. Grujic better than Henderson?? That has to be one of the most incredible statements I've ever read on these forums.

    Just out of curiosity and to offer some semblance of fairness to you, what are the qualities you have seen in Grujic that make him a better player than Henderson and on which occasions have you actually seen him put those qualities into practice? Because I have to say, other than the very odd nice pass or goal, I struggle to see much from him. Which match have I missed where he has bossed the midfield or one where he has made a direct difference to the final result*? has he ever been awarded MOTM even??


    *Did he score a winning goal once?? I seem to remember something??

    Please don't misunderstand me - this is not about slagging Grujic off. Although I am certainly not convinced by his performances to date, I recognize he's young and has potential. This is just about your outrageous claim that he would do better in our midfield than Henderson?? That's just a bizarre claim IMO?
    think the point he is trying to make is he does not think grujic can any worse than what we seeing hendo play.absolute crap from our midfielder bar coutinho.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #20  
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,497
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderbird View Post
    **** me. Grujic better than Henderson?? That has to be one of the most incredible statements I've ever read on these forums.

    Just out of curiosity and to offer some semblance of fairness to you, what are the qualities you have seen in Grujic that make him a better player than Henderson and on which occasions have you actually seen him put those qualities into practice? Because I have to say, other than the very odd nice pass or goal, I struggle to see much from him. Which match have I missed where he has bossed the midfield or one where he has made a direct difference to the final result*? has he ever been awarded MOTM even??


    *Did he score a winning goal once?? I seem to remember something??

    Please don't misunderstand me - this is not about slagging Grujic off. Although I am certainly not convinced by his performances to date, I recognize he's young and has potential. This is just about your outrageous claim that he would do better in our midfield than Henderson?? That's just a bizarre claim IMO?
    classical
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •