Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Geeking Out Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Acumen View Post
    I think they can do a single movie without the force or the Jedi playing a large part, but I think a whole trilogy will definitely feature the force in some prominent capacity, even if it isn't typically Jedi vs Sith.
    It depends how they do it. If they alternate between continuing this current story one year, and something completely new the next then it will work.

I think Disney will be moving towards releasing a star wars movie once a year. If Marvel can sustain multiple movies each year then the star wars universe can certainly do one every year.

I wonder what the next animated project will be though. There's certainly scope to make an old republic story from that.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Acumen is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    It depends how they do it. If they alternate between continuing this current story one year, and something completely new the next then it will work.

I think Disney will be moving towards releasing a star wars movie once a year. If Marvel can sustain multiple movies each year then the star wars universe can certainly do one every year.

I wonder what the next animated project will be though. There's certainly scope to make an old republic story from that.
    They are definitely doing one a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Plan-D View Post
    I can see what you mean but as a massive SW fan I'm just of the opinion it would be a tad cliche for Rey Skywalker. Also both Han Solo and Leia didn't recognise her in TFA, neither did Kylo or Snoke and nor Maz. I think it's been teased with intentionally to give it this big build up and reveal with Anakin and Lukes old saber calling to her etc..... but pretty sure she ain't a Skywalker and I'm glad of that.

The daughter of Iden Versio and Del Meeko would be great I think and ties in much much more as a story and plot. Both survived the battle of Jakku and had a romantic relationship which led to a child. When Kylo Ren interrogates Meeko at the end of Battlefront II he says You think Iden changed you, but she made you a traitor. She made you weak. You think your daughter changed you....."

In terms of Reys talents, Iden Versio was probably one of greatest pilots in the SW universe, certainly one of the Empire's best if not "the" best. Meeko was also a technical and engineer expert for the Empire. B
    Id love it too - have some unrelated (through blood) Heroes in the Universe.

Well apparently be meeting Idens real daughter next week - its sadly not Rey

Basically after next Friday, we'll just have one more Skywalker film left.

Booked tickets for Thursday, just hope it is different in a good way to the existing films and not just rehashing them. Really didn't help having help the aged insist on putting out the original cast into the mickey mouse editions as I think is perhaps apt.

Pretty much getting to the point the dark side is more like the dork side.
    People will believe what they want to believe

Early reviews are overwhelming positive for The Last Jedi.

Yehez is online now Rating revolutionary
    It's always like that when competent event movies or ones made by more reputable directors are screened for critics. Blade Runner 2049 was the same before it went with a bit of a whimper.

In any case, I fully expect Last Jedi to be quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Yehez View Post
    It's always like that when competent event movies or ones made by more reputable directors are screened for critics. Blade Runner 2049 was the same before it went with a bit of a whimper.

In any case, I fully expect Last Jedi to be quite good.
    Blade Runner 2049 critically was loved, it just didn’t do well at the box office. I saw it and I can quite easily say, it was the best film I’ve seen this year.

I’ve seen that... Can’t wait!

Yehez is online now Rating revolutionary
    Blade Runner 2049 critically was loved, it just didn’t do well at the box office. I saw it and I can quite easily say, it was the best film I’ve seen this year.
    It's quite ambitious, but it lost me a couple of times. I appreciated what it was trying to do and the ending illustrates things beautifully, but so much of it was unnecessary, sort of.

Anyway this is not a Blade Runner thread. But it is one of those films that even though I didn't fully buy, I see why others do.

Star wars as a franchise is a salemans piece of crap. Its a profit generator produced with the same psychological formulas used in making ads. Lucas made the first one using such a formula. Its a proven fact that human beings respond to this kind of manipulation.

The Hero's Journey, a book by Joe Campbell is the primary formula in the case of Star wars, the original trilogy was enjoyable. But once you find out how Hollywood does this and see how empty these kind of franchise films really are they become almost unwatchable. If you have a life beyond being one of the veggies these kind of formulaic franchises are designed to suck cash out of that is.

The initial impressions from a screening at the weekend are very favourable for the Last Jedi. I'll believe it when I see it but when I see tweets saying "Its the best Star Wars ever" I tend to be hopeful.

We're gonna try and get there this weekend so fingers crossed.
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    The initial impressions from a screening at the weekend are very favourable for the Last Jedi. I'll believe it when I see it but when I see tweets saying "Its the best Star Wars ever" I tend to be hopeful.

We're gonna try and get there this weekend so fingers crossed.
    I saw a pic where the girl (gawd, whatshername?) is wielding a white light sabre. Is this the first white one to appear? I can only recall coloured ones.

Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    I saw a pic where the girl (gawd, whatshername?) is wielding a white light sabre. Is this the first white one to appear? I can only recall coloured ones.
    Ahsoka Tano's in Rebels is the only instance as far as Wookiepedia is concerned. Rey is her name btw

A bit of background on colours (although I thought the Dark Sabre was in Rebels but I'm not up to date) https://www.thoughtco.com/meaning-of...colors-4031098

Mace Windu's lightsabre has a few non-canon theories in that its a mixture of blue and red (traditional light and dark sabre colours) which ties in with his Vaapad style which has elements of the dark side in its use. Although Light sabre colours havn't been explained as canon this might indicate that the users personalities imprint on the sabre and alter its colour accordingly. I seem to recall Ahsoka cleansing a red sabre in Rebels which may add weight to that argument.
    Last edited by Eloader; 11-12-17 at 12:02.

Ahsoka Tano's in Rebels is the only instance as far as Wookiepedia is concerned. Rey is her name btw
    Ay theng yoo.

So… does a white one have 'special qualities,' I wonder…

Ay theng yoo.

So… does a white one have 'special qualities,' I wonder…
    If it ties in with some theories of this trilogy I've heard so far, it may indicate force neutral/balanced. I added a bit more info in my previous post btw.

If it ties in with some theories of this trilogy I've heard so far, it may indicate force neutral/balanced. I added a bit more info in my previous post btw.
    Oh, ta. Interesting article.

I'd probably get a brown one, seeing as how I'd be crap at using one.

Oh, ta. Interesting article.

I'd probably get a brown one, seeing as how I'd be crap at using one.

I trained in a bit of Battle Re-enactment as a kid and got quite good at duel wielding (I trained for years to be ambidextrous too, cant remember why for the life of me ) so I wouldn't be too bad. Again, wookiepedia has a good article on the light sabre combat forms. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber_combat The links to the forms are on that page.

Just checked the link and they seem to have taken a bunch of information down.
    Last edited by Eloader; 11-12-17 at 13:08.

I trained in a bit of Battle Re-enactment as a kid and got quite good at duel wielding (I trained for years to be ambidextrous too, cant remember why for the life of me ) so I wouldn't be too bad. Again, wookiepedia has a good article on the light sabre combat forms. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber_combat The links to the forms are on that page.

I wonder how it’d feel to ‘swing’ one? There’d be no weight to it to ‘feel’ the swing/an idea of it’s balance. It’ll all be in the wrist?

Can’t wait for Saturday when I’m going to watch the film with my Star Wars obsessed 5 year old! He’s been waiting a year for this!

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPoolStark View Post
    I wonder how it’d feel to ‘swing’ one? There’d be no weight to it to ‘feel’ the swing/an idea of it’s balance. It’ll all be in the wrist?

Can’t wait for Saturday when I’m going to watch the film with my Star Wars obsessed 5 year old! He’s been waiting a year for this!
    You would think that wild swings (like in the previous two trilogies" would be pretty pointless since their is no weight to light. I think probably the closest we've to a proper style is the duelling style of Dooku where quick precise movements would be more effective than wielding as if its a claymore.

This is going to be spoiler free for the Last Jedi, right?

RIGHT.

Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    This is going to be spoiler free for the Last Jedi, right?

RIGHT.
    It should be. You know what, last night I was scanning YouTube and some clown put a major spoiler in the title of the video, so I accidentally saw it. Hate such dicks.

It should be. You know what, last night I was scanning YouTube and some clown put a major spoiler in the title of the video, so I accidentally saw it. Hate such dicks.
    Is that even legal? Don't the movie critics and people that attend the premiere have to sign a legally binding non-disclosure agreement? It's the same reason why we haven't gotten full non-spoiler reviews yet, there's an embargo put on them by Disney (that ends tonight actually I believe). Anyways, it really angers me when people post spoilers in the titles of their videos, it's so utterly inconsiderate and it hinders the enjoyment of everyone that comes across it. I only got my tickets to watch the movie on Thursday so I'm hoping that between Wednesday and Thursday, no one spoils it for me. I will keep off youtube and social media in that time for sure.

Porgs....they are already annoying and the film isn't out yet

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    Porgs....they are already annoying and the film isn't out yet
    The first time i saw a pic of them (ages ago) I thought… oh gawd, merchandising for the kids!

Lunch boxes, teeshirts, action figures, windup toys, colouring books, pyjamas, bedspreads, comics, toilet cleaners, strip joints, retread tyres, thongs, incontinence pads, dairy milk gift boxes, key rings, ear rings, nose rings, watches, shoes, breakfast cereals, birthday cards, pens, pencils, hats, cardigans, board games, bored games, interactive DVDs, spinoff movies, porg scratchings, jigsaw puzzles, tents, tattoos, stickers, cushion covers, carpets, chewing gum, icecreams, flags, badges, condoms, socks, caps, kites, frisbees…

May the Porg be with you.

Quite interesting, though.

The first time i saw a pic of them (ages ago) I thought… oh gawd, merchandising for the kids!

Lunch boxes, teeshirts, action figures, windup toys, colouring books, pyjamas, bedspreads, comics, toilet cleaners, strip joints, retread tyres, thongs, incontinence pads, dairy milk gift boxes, key rings, ear rings, nose rings, watches, shoes, breakfast cereals, birthday cards, pens, pencils, hats, cardigans, board games, bored games, interactive DVDs, spinoff movies, porg scratchings, jigsaw puzzles, tents, tattoos, stickers, cushion covers, carpets, chewing gum, icecreams, flags, badges, condoms, socks, caps, kites, frisbees…

May the Porg be with you.
    I think without doubt, of all the merchandising the porgs incontinence pad has the most apt use.

Though I love the porg scratchings

I can't give them the capital 'p' they desire...the evil porgs

They'll also form a ******* porg band who do high pitched Pink Floyd and Radiohead covers, Porg Rock

I think without doubt, of all the merchandising the porgs incontinence pad has the most apt use.

Though I love the porg scratchings

I can't give them the capital 'p' they desire...the evil porgs

They'll also form a ******* porg band who do high pitched Pink Floyd and Radiohead covers, Porg Rock
    Brilliant!

Brilliant!
    We deserve to share that accolade for our porg efforts

We deserve to share that accolade for our porg efforts
    We each deserve to be awarded 'The Grand Order of The Porg'

Cut this out and pin it to yer cardie…

https://milnersblog.files.wordpress....riday-porg.png